Seriously Could You Do This?

truth on hold

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had read somewhere that American Indians have no fear of heights, they lack the gene that gives you the fear. That was why many American Indians did high iron work on bridges. Not sure if its true or not.

Anyway, I could do it right up until the part he goes outside. That would be tough.

I had read somewhere that American Indians have no fear of heights, they lack the gene that gives you the fear. That was why many American Indians did high iron work on bridges. Not sure if its true or not.

Anyway, I could do it right up until the part he goes outside. That would be tough.

Me too. After that, the guy below had better be looking out for poo poo.

Saw this on macrumors....

It made my arms ache for about an hour. Underpaid doesn't even begin to describe this guy.

I hugged my cell phone after this.

Tower/Pole Climbers get paid VERY well.

I worked a lot with these guys back when working for a wireless ISP. the guys in the video are nuts/dangerous/retarded for climbing with no gear. I've been onsite for dish installs and maintenance maybe a hundred times, Ive NEVER seen anyone climb without safety gear.

Tower/Pole Climbers get paid VERY well.

I worked a lot with these guys back when working for a wireless ISP. the guys in the video are nuts/dangerous/retarded for climbing with no gear. I've been onsite for dish installs and maintenance maybe a hundred times, Ive NEVER seen anyone climb without safety gear.

I worked one summer for NiMo. All the summer workers were college kids whose parents worked for NiMo. It was a sweet gig back in '89 because we got paid ~$9/hr to do things like paint the chain-link fences around the substations and stuff like that (pretty good money at the time). On the first day, one of the other guys asked if I was going to work again the next summer. I said I wasn't sure, but probably not because I had to get a co-op job for my degree. It was too bad because the summer work schedule was to paint the high-voltage towers every other year and the pay was double. So I never got to test my will to climb high and paint. Of course, I worked the next three summers for Philadelphia Electric. One of my duties was to 'dip the tanks' which involved climbing to the top of several oil tanks and lower a tape measure to get a true reading on how much oil was there. That was only about $11/hr.

I watched that video and got short of breath. You'd have to offer me $10 million... and then only maaayyyybeeeee.

I worked one summer for NiMo. All the summer workers were college kids whose parents worked for NiMo. It was a sweet gig back in '89 because we got paid ~$9/hr to do things like paint the chain-link fences around the substations and stuff like that (pretty good money at the time). On the first day, one of the other guys asked if I was going to work again the next summer. I said I wasn't sure, but probably not because I had to get a co-op job for my degree. It was too bad because the summer work schedule was to paint the high-voltage towers every other year and the pay was double. So I never got to test my will to climb high and paint. Of course, I worked the next three summers for Philadelphia Electric. One of my duties was to 'dip the tanks' which involved climbing to the top of several oil tanks and lower a tape measure to get a true reading on how much oil was there. That was only about $11/hr.

I watched that video and got short of breath. You'd have to offer me $10 million... and then only maaayyyybeeeee.

I used to work for NiMo as a trainer at the Dunkirk, Huntley, Oswego and Watertown stations. Internship/temp job. Had a good time there...lots of good people. I did fall protection training, but never actually had to climb anything of substance.

Interesting. All the Climbers I knew who were working on/installing radios were paid in the $100/hour range. Of course, these were all contracted climbers, so that changes the pay VS someone who is already fulltime with a specific company.

mucho grande cojones! You couldn't pay me enough to do that. Free climbing 1700+ feet up is !@#$ing crazy. It is not like that tower had a good ladder either. A few times the climber had to climb up on a sketchy platform. Not to mention the wind...and vertigo...and cramping...

My thought was I wonder if coming down is actually tricker? I though t about climbing trees as a kid. Getting up was always easier. Coming down was to me both more challenging and scary. Given I have no compelling reason to climb a tower like that I would not do it. However, it is really hard to come up with a reason that would be compelling.

I guess a positive thing about it is that if you did fall you would have a tiny bit of time to say your prayers and while it might just hurt for less than a nanosecond once you hit the ground you would be good and dead. :blink:

mucho grande cojones! You couldn't pay me enough to do that. Free climbing 1700+ feet up is !@#$ing crazy. It is not like that tower had a good ladder either. A few times the climber had to climb up on a sketchy platform. Not to mention the wind...and vertigo...and cramping...

arent there guys who free climb rock climb at heights of over 100 feet? and once youre at 100 feet its my understanding it doesnt matter anymore re: terminal velocity. the tower ladder must be more stable than a rock wall.

that was awful.... I literally had to keep looking away from the screen due to minimize the nausea/vertigo. The worst parts are when you can see the guy feeling around for a secure spot to hold onto before he moves up. That seems way too 'nonuniform' a process....and NO safety lines for most of it. NUTS. I'm gonna go throw up.

• 1 month later...

in Soviet Russia, tower climbs you!!

youtube.com/watch?v=od1Ep47sSVk

Oh hell no.

I'd be like the girl, leg on both sides, never really taking my hands off the girder. The guy in red? Well, lets just say I would not be standing with my back to those two guys laughing it up.

any help on the link? I cannot open the yahoo link??? Any google search terams appreciated as well

here is the youtube version of the original link. keep in mind, these guys go up almost DOUBLE the height that the russian kids are at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_n3Dln4Y74

Edited by DrDankenstein