Locker room privacy ??

papazoid

except for you, who would be able to continue to have it both ways. complaining that no one in our business knows how to do their job, and making it more difficult for us to our job. how very convenient Mr. Happy. you certainly have a way of pretzeling logic based on your posts in this thread and the past.

i thought i considered myself a true contrarian. i don't hold a lick to you, who has failed to generally agree with anything i've ever posted. and even when you concede that you might be wrong, you persist in proceeding with the argument in which you've acknowledged to be well mistaken.

boy, i want to live in your world. actually, on second though ... strike that.

jw

Forgetting for a moment that I never said no one in your business knows how to do their job (and you repeat this endlessly), your logic would hold that no one can simultaneously argue a position and acknowledge that they might be wrong.

That's an illuminating statement, actually. Explains certain things.

Also, the fact that I have "failed to generally agree with anything [you've] ever posted" hardly makes me a "contrarian", does it? Really?

Look, in my job people are always critical of what I do. In fact, in my profession we invite criticism--it's part of our culture. We hold weekly meeting were we present our work for our colleagues to critique. We also hear from those who receive our services, from our employers, state and federal government officials as well as other third parties. All freely offer their criticisms. It's how we improve our performance.

I'm sure it's the same in many professions. Don't be so sensitive.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silliness. Why not have a separate area where the players can come out to be interviewed? Players should be in the locker room to shower. I work at a university and we put huge amounts of effort in keeping locker rooms sterile with concerns about MRSA and other infections. Having folks traipsing in and out when I'm certain people have open bruises and cuts (except of course for the buffalo offensive line, which has wind burn from defensive ends running by them) it is not good to have any journalist or anyone else in there unless they have a good reason to. I think the NFLPA might want to chime in on this as a hygiene issue.

"I die of embarrassment!" Sainz wrote in Spanish. "I am in the locker room of the Jets waiting for Mark Sanchez while trying not to look to anywhere!"

:oops:

You were right, I was wrong. She was at some point in the locker room. The initial story was about actions which happened on the practice field.

I'm sure it's the same in many professions. Don't be so sensitive.

Then stop telling him you're sure you know how best to do his job.

A group of men are talking about an attractive woman and trying different things to get her attention or a closer look? That's somehow news? No matter where I've been in the world, that's pretty much normal.

<_<

And in a workplace, any workplace, it is unacceptable. So the NFL's reaction is also normal - normal for a company who is trying to protect its image and prevent litigation in the present and future.

You were right, I was wrong. She was at some point in the locker room. The initial story was about actions which happened on the practice field.

Then stop telling him you're sure you know how best to do his job.

Never did. You're not very good with the details.

And in a workplace, any workplace, it is unacceptable. So the NFL's reaction is also normal - normal for a company who is trying to protect its image and prevent litigation in the present and future.

agreed, nothing wrong with what happened (as both partied involved agree), and nothing wrong with the NFL covering their bases.

If you take uncovered meat and put it on the street, on the pavement, in a garden, in a park, or in the backyard, without a cover and the cats eat it, then whose fault will it be, the cat's, or the uncovered meat's?

Just when I thought your posts couldn't get any stupider. I set the bar too low, I guess.

The thing is, I can't decide which if more offensive. The comparison to a professional reporter to "uncovered meat" or the presumption that professional athletes are capable of no more self control than cats on the street.

Just when I thought your posts couldn't get any stupider. I set the bar too low, I guess.

The thing is, I can't decide which if more offensive. The comparison to a professional reporter to "uncovered meat" or the presumption that professional athletes are capable of no more self control than cats on the street.

I thought Clinton Portis was the uncovered meat.

Never did. You're not very good with the details.

So saying that he doesn't need locker room access is not telling him how to do his job? Fine. You're good at splitting hairs. And I'm good at a lot of things.

You keep harping on what you seem to feel is an indisputable fact that no good stories are the result of reporters being allowed in the locker room. A professional journalist comes on says it's not true, and that many of his stories rely on this access. You ignore it, then make the same assertion again. You ask him to prove it? Why? Believe him, or don't believe him. He doesn't owe you an explanation.

I'm sure almost all of his stories are written from info he accrues form everywhere but the locker room after a game.

It was a simple question--where is the reader's evidence that such stories are the result of the scene described in the incident we are currently discussing?

jw says he gets a lot of info in the locker room, after the TV press leaves, despite what he then describes as having very little time and a tight schedule. Fine.

I can be convinced that you or jw are right in this issue, but I have yet to see the evidence that these brief, crowded cattle calls in the locker room produce anything new or interesting.

Here's what all this leads me to cocnlude: if the teams or the League tomorrow decided to declare ALL changing areas off limits to the press at all times, the same stories would get written. The sports reading public would be none the wiser, nor the worse off.

So saying that he doesn't need locker room access is not telling him how to do his job? Fine. You're good at splitting hairs. And I'm good at a lot of things.

You keep harping on what you seem to feel is an indisputable fact that no good stories are the result of reporters being allowed in the locker room. A professional journalist comes on says it's not true, and that many of his stories rely on this access. You ignore it, then make the same assertion again. You ask him to prove it? Why? Believe him, or don't believe him. He doesn't owe you an explanation.

Yes, that is my opinion. I really don't see the Monday morning (or Sunday night)articles from the locker room that really give me more than the usual cliches that come with winning or losing. It's not a terrible thing, believe me.

He says he waits until all the cameras are goen then does his reporting, yet he also says there is little time to do much due his deadline which is, I'm assuming minutes after the game ends.

I'm saying he doesn't need unlimited locker room access that infringes on the privacy of players. That's not a real thin hair I'm splitting, you understand, right? The same story will be filed whether he's present for the dressing or not. As I said, if access were heretofore denied and the players were otherwise made available, the same story would be written. Maybe you're reading different sports stories after games than I am. Perhaps you can point me to such pieces.

Here's one. It took me a whole minute to find it. Not going to argue with you anymore, because it's a waste of typing.

Shortly after Lynch informed reporters Thursday he didn't have any thoughts regarding his status, cornerback Drayton Florence popped by his teammate's locker with what he jokingly referred to as breaking news.

"Hey, you know you're getting traded, right?" Florence said with a big smile. "It just went across the bottom of the screen. Me and you, package deal, baby."

Lynch could only shake his head and laugh.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bills-rb-lynch-cant-escape-trade-speculation-as-teammates-get-in-on-the-talk-103071854.html

Here's one. It took me a whole minute to find it. Not going to argue with you anymore, because it's a waste of typing.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bills-rb-lynch-cant-escape-trade-speculation-as-teammates-get-in-on-the-talk-103071854.html

Couple of guys joking about trade rumors. Lynch letting us know he doesn't have any thoughts regarding his status.

OK, you got me.

Yes, that is my opinion. I really don't see the Monday morning (or Sunday night)articles from the locker room that really give me more than the usual cliches that come with winning or losing. It's not a terrible thing, believe me.

He says he waits until all the cameras are goen then does his reporting, yet he also says there is little time to do much due his deadline which is, I'm assuming minutes after the game ends.

I'm saying he doesn't need unlimited locker room access that infringes on the privacy of players. That's not a real thin hair I'm splitting, you understand, right? The same story will be filed whether he's present for the dressing or not. As I said, if access were heretofore denied and the players were otherwise made available, the same story would be written. Maybe you're reading different sports stories after games than I am. Perhaps you can point me to such pieces.

oh, my gawd, you're being silly. there really is no point arguing with you. and somehow, it's like a car-wreck, i can't look away.

you are an egotistical, pretentious wannabe know-it-all, capable of little, but yet somehow supported by a truly Jupiter Planet-sized over-inflated gene of self-righteous stubborness that could well be spotted in far-flung galaxies seen as a mere glimmer of light by only the likes of the hubble telescope.

in the future, i shall elect not to respond to your posts only because it may be more beneficial to my health to pound my head against brick walls, over, and over and over and over again. it is better this way, in so much that i know that at some point one thing will eventually give, more than likely me, but call me a romantic. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

now, let me proceed by attempting to bash that wall of bricks one more time by responding to the points that you so mindlessly raise because you fail to read or, perhaps, comprehend what i've written previous:

yes, there is a rush for players to leave following a game, but some writers do approach players and speak to them when the cameras are turned off. this applies to post-games and after practice. but of course you know what goes on as you have some kind of x-ray vision or karnac capabilities, right. :blink:

please re-read any of my posts and spell out to me where i wrote "unlimited" as far as access goes.

jw

with all due respect, of course.

Edited by john wawrow