Horrible Quote from Edwards!

buffalopdc

so he has PTSD? That's a new one! :thumbsup:

It is. :D

When the plan's working, he's fine, ala preseason and practice.

When it doesn't, and that's usually all the time in a regular season game, he's Bill Paxton in Aliens and shuts it down mentally. There is no adjustment or toughness or anger.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What were Sanchez's comments? “We really took our turns making mistakes and there’s no excuse for that,” Sanchez said. “This is the ultimate team sport — we all have to [do] it right on every play for it to work.” More..."It just seemed like every time we had a good play on, something happened and we hurt ourselves,” Sanchez said.

Exactly how is that sooooo much different? :blink:

You want to know what the difference is?

Compare this:

"That's going to happen, that's the NFL."

-Trent Edwards

To this:

"... and there’s no excuse for that."

- Mark Sanchez

People like to brush off those kinds of comments as being meaningless and have no bearing on the bigger picture.

bull ****. They could not be more wrong.

Those kind of small off the cuff comments are closest thing you will see/hear that give an insight on a player's mental make up.

Both QB's said the their own team made mistakes and it cost them.

One essentially says "Oh well, **** happens". He's trying to absolve themselves from blame.

The other one is essentially saying "**** happened because of us". He's accepting blame.

One phrase. Huge difference in attitude.

I thought that as well. I will say leadership can be taught to a certain extent. Maybe he should take a class.

I sort of have to disagree. You know those personality quadrants in sociology? My company uses a test called the Caliper to determine if a person is a fit for a particular position. They ask all kinds of direct and indirect questions determining a person's characteristics and then it matches your answers to a personality type. These tests are acutely accurate. Everyone always has some of the other personality traits, but most certainly there's always a dominant portion of one. You can teach leadership to some level, but never to the level where they become a different personality. Or at least a genuine product.

You are right about him being smart and tough. You literally have to be at this level. But I think he's got Chuck Knoblauch syndrome (seriously). He won't throw the ball down field and I believe whole heartedly it is a mental block issue.

You want to know what the difference is?

Compare this:

"That's going to happen, that's the NFL."

-Trent Edwards

To this:

"... and there’s no excuse for that."

- Mark Sanchez

People like to brush off those kinds of comments as being meaningless and have no bearing on the bigger picture.

bull ****. They could not be more wrong.

Those kind of small off the cuff comments are closest thing you will see/hear that give an insight on a player's mental make up.

Both QB's said the their own team made mistakes and it cost them.

One essentially says "Oh well, **** happens". He's trying to absolve themselves from blame.

The other one is essentially saying "**** happened because of us". He's accepting blame.

One phrase. Huge difference in attitude.

I think I'll brush off your comments as being meaningless and have no bearing on the bigger picture.

At this point it's all interpretation...we need a team of psychoanalysists here to really delve into these guys psyche's. Sorry, unless you have an advanced degree in Psychology your comments are just another guys opinion and fail to convince me.

That has nothing to do with being a leader. A leader says that and that we will get better. He did not do that. I agree, see my orignial post, that it is a team sport and the team played porrly, but the point of the post was he needs to step up and be a leader.

Well...he could have said "The front office had better get off theirasses and find me some tackles that can give me a few seconds to actually play football." That would be the leadership we need...not asking tackles who don't have the ability to do anything to do what they can't possibly do.

I sort of have to disagree. You know those personality quadrants in sociology? My company uses a test called the Caliper to determine if a person is a fit for a particular position. They ask all kinds of direct and indirect questions determining a person's characteristics and then it matches your answers to a personality type. These tests are acutely accurate. Everyone always has some of the other personality traits, but most certainly there's always a dominant portion of one. You can teach leadership to some level, but never to the level where they become a different personality. Or at least a genuine product.

You are right about him being smart and tough. You literally have to be at this level. But I think he's got Chuck Knoblauch syndrome (seriously). He won't throw the ball down field and I believe whole heartedly it is a mental block issue.

I agree 100%, I guess the question is can he be taught enough to be a above average QB in the NFL or do you have to genuinly have "it" to be a QB?

Thanks for the quote. I posted similar stuff he said from the post-game PC yesterday. This is by far the worst.

Its blatantly a quote from a guy in semi-denial. He season this kid comes in and says all the right things and fails to execute. He knows this, he knows what people are saying and in order to keep his job, he says crap like this. I'm sure he only half believes it. It the kind of thing you say when you're trying to convince yourself of something that isn't true.

Regardless, I hope Chan Gailey takes him aside and says, listen, I don't care what kind of game you have, you won't be saying stuff like that.

If this truly is a "tough game for tough people", than I really hope Gailey puts an end to that bull **** mindset.

Effective NFL QB's don't have to be General Patton. It helps a lot, but it is not mandatory. Jake Plumber was always competitive but wanted no part of leading a team.

You can teach some level of leadership for certain. I hold myself as a perfect example. I am self driven INTP by every personality test I have taken. I have learned through leader training and an MBA how to be a good leader despite my personality conflict.

Well I have moved up several levels over my short career due to my leadership performance, using skills I never had naturally and interacting with my team using "the recipes" as opposed to instinct and personal preference. It can be done.

Lastly TE was voted as a team captain by the players. There must be some perception he can lead the team. I think your last comment about the mental block is closer to home. I wonder if all of the worst hits he has taken all happened to be on looks downfield. I guess you would expect it, but still worth curiosity.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

What I'm hearing in the difference between the quotes is that the Jets have had more success in the short period of time that he's been with the organization, of which he has contributed only slightly. (see all the threads about his numbers last year).

On the other hand, Edwards has been involved with an organization which has been struggling to say the least. I don't think the Bills have been horrible in the same sense as Detroit, but you can definitely hear it in the quote. It just re-affirms my belief that he's lost some confidence. Chan has got to commit to the run. If they are stacking the box, play-action. This is not a team that will beat anybody playing one-dimensional football out the shot-gun.

If the Bills are going to have any chance at all this season, Chan has got to do a better job managing the quarterback position. At the end of the day, who cares what they say at the press conference. I think Trent could have gone off on the play calling and the offensive line, but that is better off handled behind closed doors, so he tried to say something that sounds innocuous.

I think I'll brush off your comments as being meaningless and have no bearing on the bigger picture.

At this point it's all interpretation...we need a team of psychoanalysists here to really delve into these guys psyche's. Sorry, unless you have an advanced degree in Psychology your comments are just another guys opinion and fail to convince me.

You did not see a difference, so I gave you an example.

It's obvious you will not be convinced.

I delivered a message.

And if I were hazard to take a guess, it's message you don't want to hear.

He was a leader in last year's MNF game. Beyond that game, I can't think of many others where he wasn't crapping his pants when we played a decent team. How can the guys in the locker room follow him into battle? I love to route for the guy and I'm not a hater (I don't think), but I'd like to spend a little more time in my life not being mathamatically eliminated - so he needs to change or be changed.

Just looked up teams that we beat over the years with TE as QB:

2007: Jets, Ravens, Jets, Skins, Dolphins

2008: Seakhawks, Jags, Raiders, Rams, Chargers, Chiefs, Broncos (nice year vs AFC West btw)

2009: Bucs, Jets

# of teams we beat with TE that were .500+ teams: 2 (2007 SKins, 2009 Jets)

He's young and after this year we can't try to compare him to Brees and his start -- I'm rooting for him and def. think he's our best option. Throw it down the field baby!!

I love how people will crack a poster who says things like, "I watch Trent Edwards before the games warming up, and he is a total flat-liner, no intensity, no laser focus, no palpable will to win above all else" because they don't personally know the guy.

But these same types will come out and say how tough and smart he is without sitting down to dinner with the guy either. Hypocritical. You say he's smart because he received a degree from the college that paid his tuition and expenses. I say he's dumb because he does the SAME STUPID THINGS OVER AND OVER EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS. You say he's tough, and I say he's the biggest baby in the NFL, who took a hard hit and it literally ruined his career because now he is SCARED to be on the field.

They are both opinions, and are both valid.

What aren't opinions are the recordings of him saying stupid things in press conferences, smiling and laughing about terrible performances, and the PRODUCT that he puts out on the field.

Say goodbye, Trent. You might be smart and charming and tough as nails, but you are a failure of a quarterback, and once we get you out the door, you'll never sniff the field again.

You did not see a difference, so I gave you an example.

It's obvious you will not be convinced.

I delivered a message.

And if I were hazard to take a guess, it's message you don't want to hear.

you like guessing, but you are wrong. You see I'm not an Edwards supporter or hater, I just am tired of all the "experts" pontificating on their "insights" into TE, sorry...I honestly don't see a major difference in statements or play between Edwards and Sanchez.

Is that a word?

actually it was a play on the word... :nana:

He's young and after this year we can't try to compare him to Brees and his start -- I'm rooting for him and def. think he's our best option. Throw it down the field baby!!

I agree and I'm still rooting for him to be successful.

I think the Jets and the Bills are having the same exact problem.

The big difference between Sanchez and Edwards is that Sanchez's face has been thrown on every tv commercial, magazine and newspaper article.

Bottom line is that the Bills and the Jets BOTH have QBs they have to build fluff offenses around.

Your "throw it down the field, baby!!" comment says it all. Air the ball out. Take some chances. The "safe" offense is obviously not going to work.