Everyone needs to watch this

Got_Wood

The left tackle is supposed to pick up the outside blitz-er unless the Defense shows a weak side overload(OLB and Safety Blitz) when the Rb or FB is lined up on the strong side, but yeah, lets blame Trent.

Oh really? And then who is supposed to get the inside guy that is also outside the G? The one you are leaving unblocked between Levitre and Bell.

There were THREE guys lined up on Levitre and Bell.

Levitre took the one most inside, Bell took the next one. Standard procedure for as long as I can remember. One OL can't block two guys at once - not on the outside in space, sorry.

I am not a Trent-basher, but that one was on the QB all the way - thought so at the time and the video confirms it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no super expert on offensive line protections, but I was always under the impression that, when faced with two men to block, the offensive lineman should choose to block the inside man in an attempt to prevent the pocket from collapsing and providing the better chance for success on the play.

I.e. block the inside rusher so your QB can hopefully step up into the pocket.

Based on that, it seemed to me that Bell wasn't to blame.

But either way, both the o-line and quarterback are really, really bad and of sub-standard talent. On that particular play, I read it as Edwards seeing the blitz, but not really being aware enough to do anything about it.

I love everyone put that on Trent when someone missed an assignment. He did point, and yeah in a 3/4 they might not of come. I am not making excuses for Trent by saying it he stunk it up for sure but that sack I don't think so.

Go back and watch the video again.

Pause it at the :09 second mark.

Clearly there are 3 defenders lined up over the left gaurd and left tackle. This is Trent's fault..period. You can't blame an out-manned front for missing an assignment.

Audible to something short or a draw and the disaster is averted.

This is QB-101 crap that I learned in high school let alone at the college or pro level.

im not making any excuses for the mess of a QB that is Trent Edwards, but our tackles played the worst game ive ever seen from any offensive linemen ever. Bell got beat like a drum EVERY PLAY, and most of the time #55 on Miami wasnt even using moves or bull-rushing. Bell was just backing up and backing up right into the QB. it was pretty sad.

Trent sucks, we all know it. but dont expect ANYTHING from this offense until the edges are fixed, no matter the QB.

indeed, thats what i was thinking last night too.

May be we should also give credit to the Dolphins defense being better than our offense. Cameron Wake and Carlos Dansby are much better players than Bell and Green.

Seriously can we start anymore threads about blaming TE for the lost. What else did he do? This could have easily been posted in the i hate TE thread. But its like everyone wants to be the first to say i told u so. It was the same thing with redskins game, all the i told you so'ers came out in full force, trying to one up each other about who can spot how much TE sucked. Then when chan ajusted and we played better against indy it was a conpletely different tone around here. No offense its gettting old and makes coming on this board looking for good discussion impossible. I get it you dont like TE and if u were a coach or in the FO u could run this team to multiple championships. It just that it might be nice to see some sort of other discussion instead of seeing the first 5 threads about trent, cant it all be said in one thread?

Let's remember that there are kids playing football in Jr. High that have as much or more experience than Bell.

I don't understand blaming Trent for that play. No way does a coach draw up a flustercuck blocking scheme like the OL executed there. It isn't believable in the slightest.

Levitre got absolutely blasted on that play. Bell chases his guy all the way to the inside on the stunt. Edit: It looks like Hangartner is trying to go to his left, but Levitre is already behind him and Bell is running past him in the other direction.

Having said that, Trent doesn't have good instincts and elude it either. :(

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Yes, Trent is at fault there as well, but unless you know the blocking assignments you are talking out of your ass.

Looks to me like Bell picked up a guy stunting inside, where he maybe would have wanted to take the blitzing LB on the outside. Major whiff by Bell there.

In the first play of this highlight video, Karlos Dansby runs around the left edge of our offensive line untouched and drills an unsuspecting Edwards in the back. The first thing that comes to mind is, who missed their blocking assignment??? How can someone go untouched to the QB so easily? Bell must have missed a block right?

But after further review, this tells you more about Trent Edwards being completely oblivious to TWO linebackers STACKED on the left side of the line before the snap. And not just any linebackers... it was Karlos Dansby and Cameron Wake, the Dolphins best defenders. And Edwards has NO CLUE that they're about to trample his back side. He simply walks up to the line of scrimmage, takes the snap as if it doesn't matter what defensive formation he's playing, and drops back for a pass.

YOU HAVE TO BE AWARE OF THE DEFENSIVE FRONT BEFORE THE SNAP TRENT!!! Unless you want to be a human punching bag, call out the blitzing backers/defensive ends/corners/safeties BEFORE THE PLAY STARTS. Being a QB is not just about running plays and executing. We'll see new defeses every week, and you have to adjust to the way teams play you.

Watch the first play of this video. Pause it right before the snap, and look at the defensive front. And watch how Trent has no idea of what's about to happen.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a78282/Dolphins-vs-Bills-highlights

Thank you. The obvious escapes some people.

People always love to blame the QB, who is not blameless, but good GOD that is an obvious case of Bell being a dumbass.

The left tackle is supposed to pick up the outside blitz-er unless the Defense shows a weak side overload(OLB and Safety Blitz) when the Rb or FB is lined up on the strong side, but yeah, lets blame Trent.

Looks to me that Trent isn't the only one who didn't recognize the blitz. Backside receiver (Lee Evans) is suppose to fill the gap left by the blitzing line backer, Lee is head down running up field.. Had he run the slant to the spot where the LB had vacated..he would have been wide open.. Not saying Trent would have seen him as his eyes are to the right.. but Trent isn't the only who didn't do his job on that play.

Bell should have picked up the inside rusher, which he did. The back should have shifted to the blitzing side, or the WR and Trent should have spotted the back coming and made that the hot read with a quick slant. That a basic read and react play in the NFL. I talked to 2 form bills yesterday and they say the same thing, Trent like, JP, and Rob Johnson just can't see the field, and does not have enough faith to setup in the pocket in order to make a throw.

Looks to me that Trent isn't the only one who didn't recognize the blitz. Backside receiver (Lee Evans) is suppose to fill the gap left by the blitzing line backer, Lee is head down running up field.. Had he run the slant to the spot where the LB had vacated..he would have been wide open.. Not saying Trent would have seen him as his eyes are to the right.. but Trent isn't the only who didn't do his job on that play.

The whole thing is a mess. :sick:

In the first play of this highlight video, Karlos Dansby runs around the left edge of our offensive line untouched and drills an unsuspecting Edwards in the back. The first thing that comes to mind is, who missed their blocking assignment??? How can someone go untouched to the QB so easily? Bell must have missed a block right?

But after further review, this tells you more about Trent Edwards being completely oblivious to TWO linebackers STACKED on the left side of the line before the snap. And not just any linebackers... it was Karlos Dansby and Cameron Wake, the Dolphins best defenders. And Edwards has NO CLUE that they're about to trample his back side. He simply walks up to the line of scrimmage, takes the snap as if it doesn't matter what defensive formation he's playing, and drops back for a pass.

YOU HAVE TO BE AWARE OF THE DEFENSIVE FRONT BEFORE THE SNAP TRENT!!! Unless you want to be a human punching bag, call out the blitzing backers/defensive ends/corners/safeties BEFORE THE PLAY STARTS. Being a QB is not just about running plays and executing. We'll see new defeses every week, and you have to adjust to the way teams play you.

Watch the first play of this video. Pause it right before the snap, and look at the defensive front. And watch how Trent has no idea of what's about to happen.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a78282/Dolphins-vs-Bills-highlights

Someone did not account for Dansby. Bell took the inside man. I think the RB has to stay in and block. Trent has to know that someone is coming untouched and go to his hot read. If the running back doesn't block than he should turn around and catch a short pass. It's third and ten so Trent is trying to get a first down. Great defensive call by Miami poor adjustment by Trent and or the center and coaching staff. They better get that fixed or it may be Fitz by default. You are right I think it is the QB that has to change protection or have a plan for this or try to avoid the rushing LB. It seems like he has no feel in the pocket for pressure.

I guess I'll defer to you on this one - I thought I saw different. Will have to watch the game again before I can say definitively that I'm wrong, but I'll trust your eye here. Anyone else see?

ill be willing to admit im wrong as well. i watched the game from the Bills bar in Las Vegas so my accuracy may be off, but i did try to concentrate on watching the tackles. if Meredith was in for Bell, that could have been it too. we didnt really have sound so it was tough to follow exactly who was in. all i know is that whoever was in at the tackles, sucked for most of the game. constant pressure, no pocket, etc.

everyone else's input is appreciated as well.

I love everyone put that on Trent when someone missed an assignment. He did point, and yeah in a 3/4 they might not of come. I am not making excuses for Trent by saying it he stunk it up for sure but that sack I don't think so.

Oh come on now at least take a glance there to see what's going on.

Not to split hairs or to say that trent should have audibled into a different alignment, but the LT's assignment is only to handle the inside rush if he has RB or FB support when in a left weak-side formation. There was no FB in that formation, and the RB lined up to Trent's right with no blocking assigned to his route(RB go route).

Ideally, the QB audibles motion for the slot receiver or tight end(Depending on personel package) over to cover the potential blitz, (LB is then forced to either cover the route and rotate into coverage, or beat him to the QB), or audible the RB over to force LB coverage, or to chip block the blitz. that didn't happen, so I'd go halfsies with everyone who thinks it was Trent's fault for not changing the play, but I also think Bell should have taken the outside man like he was supposed to in the current play called.

Either way it was bad all around.

TE & BELL

Seriously can we start anymore threads about blaming TE for the lost. What else did he do? This could have easily been posted in the i hate TE thread. But its like everyone wants to be the first to say i told u so. It was the same thing with redskins game, all the i told you so'ers came out in full force, trying to one up each other about who can spot how much TE sucked. Then when chan ajusted and we played better against indy it was a conpletely different tone around here. No offense its gettting old and makes coming on this board looking for good discussion impossible. I get it you dont like TE and if u were a coach or in the FO u could run this team to multiple championships. It just that it might be nice to see some sort of other discussion instead of seeing the first 5 threads about trent, cant it all be said in one thread?

This!

Yes, Trent is at fault there as well, but unless you know the blocking assignments you are talking out of your ass.

Looks to me like Bell picked up a guy stunting inside, where he maybe would have wanted to take the blitzing LB on the outside. Major whiff by Bell there.

Thank you. The obvious escapes some people.

People always love to blame the QB, who is not blameless, but good GOD that is an obvious case of Bell being a dumbass.

Both

Other guys two. On a play that bad there is plenty of blame to go around. Lots of bad worse and horrific. TE is lucky Dansby didn't decapitate him.

The block should be from inside out. Bell picked the right guy, Trent need to be aware!

Ummm...I didn't know you all were on the sideline...Because if your all blaming Trent then you must know exactly what play was called and exactly what offensive line call was made...! Truth is none of you know, maybe Trent did call an adjustment for the line, or tell the line to sift, maybe they ( The line ) made a bad read..!

+1 to whoever said the whole thing was a mess. Obviously, we have no idea what Trent called out to his line, WRs or RBs. We also have no idea what the block assignments were. The question is, was this kind of mess a regular occurrence throughout the game? Even some of the best QBs (from time to time) don't recognize blitzes. After all, one of the primary goals of any defensive coordinator is to disguise blitzes so that these situations happen. So, if a defensive coordinator is any good, one would hope that he can generate the kind of sack that Dansby had.

That being said, that wasn't some kind of genius play call. That was a linebacker blitz that was straight out of Rex Ryan's playbook, completely overpowering one side of the line. I could be wrong, but that wasn't a call that Nolan made saying to himself "hopefully they won't pick up on the blitz!". That was a call he made saying, "I'll tell Chan Gailey I'm putting Wake/Dansby and my DE against the left side of the Bills on any given play and get the sack". Trent had to know that was coming. Maybe he audibled to a screen or a quick slant, thinking he could get the ball out of his hands before Dansby got to him. But, a) that would have been wishful thinking regardless and b) It didn't look like Trent had any idea what was coming.

I'd have to go back and watch the game to see if the Edwards and his O-Lineman consistently missed assignments or blitz recognition. I would go on a limb and say that they did, just based on past experience watching these goobers play. And I didn't see too many instances where Bell got completely trampled, but I did see a few cases where blitzers came running through untouched.

Who knows. Point being, hopefully this gets corrected. Like I said, guys get to the QB untouched every once in awhile. But, you don't see Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers missing the recognition too often.