Indications that our O-line is terrible

In order to understand the magnitude of how terrible our offensive line is, we must first consider several key observations:

1. Our greatest offensive strength is our over-stocked stable of running backs. I don't believe any team in the NFL can boast a backfield that is as deep, as talented, or as versatile as ours.

2. Our receiving corps is among the worst in the NFL. Lee Evans, our best wide out, is at best an acceptable #2 option, but would be a #3 option on most potent offensive teams, and beyond him, nobody else on our receiving depth chart would likely be in the top 3 on the depth chart of any other team in the league. We are basically playing in the NFL with corp of collegiate level receivers. We have no tight end that can be established as a legitimate threat. We have no game breaker who can make the big catch in traffic or who can exploit the middle of the field. Our receivers leave much to be desired.

3. Chan Gailey and Trent Edwards are far more aware of what is necessary to make an effective offense than most if not all of their detractors who post on this board, including knowledge of the elementary principle that the ball must be thrown down the field in order to loosen the defense.

Considering these observations, how can one explain the following observations from today's game:

- We threw the ball twice as often as we ran it.

- The most talented backfield in the league averaged a meager 2.9 yards per rush attempt.

- We had an almost unbelievable lack of down field routes even called, much less thrown to.

- We averaged an embarrassing 3.4 yards per pass attempt.

There is only one reasonable explanation that answers the question and explains each observation, and that is that we are witnessing possibly the worst starting offensive line that the NFL has ever seen. Trent Edwards knows it, and thus looks to escape the rush or make an easy completion, rather than risk throwing the ball to a receiver who cannot beat his defender in single coverage and who cannot go up and make any kind of play on a ball that isn't perfect. Chan Gailey knows it, thus he does not call for routes that he knows will not ever have time to develop. And every defensive coordinator in the league knows it, thus they stack the box to stop the run and since they don't need to blitz, they can play blanket coverage anyway. I'm pretty sure that any Pop-Warner coach in America could figure out that if you have the best RBs in the league you should run the ball more than pass it, unless of course you have absolutely zero faith in your offensive line's ability to open up running lanes. In that case, you must attempt to "trick" the defense into over pursuing in a pass rush and try to get completions beneath the secondary, via screens and crosses and RBs coming out of the backfield on delayed routes.

Also keep in mind that when you have zero ability to establish the run (which is almost always due to poor offensive line play), you have zero ability to play action, which is by far the best way to create down field separation that leads to big plays.

So really it is beyond absurd for all of you to continue to blame Trent Edwards, or even Fitzpatrick or even Brohm for the Bills' continuing problems moving the ball. Every measurable dynamic that affects the outcome of the game and bears upon the success (or failure) of the offense can be easily and simply traced back to the O-line. Ultimately, until the O-line is addressed, it is useless and utterly irrelevant to keep speculating about which QB should be in the game. So all of you sanctimonious, "I think I know something about football because I can reset the game and win every time at Madden" retards please keep posting your ridiculous and inane comments. I truly enjoy laughing at your stupidity.

Lee Evans has break away speed, runs good routes, and generally has good hands. He is a solid number 1 on 25 of the teams in the NFL.

WR's can't catch the ball if it isn't thrown to them.

Exactly right. With a decent QB, Lee is one of the top 10 to 15 WRs in football.

The OP is right about the OL, though. Wretched.

Edited by Thurman#1

No surprise our OL is bad. Is anyone surprised?

Yep, the coaches :doh:

In order to understand the magnitude of how terrible our offensive line is, we must first consider several key observations:

1. Our greatest offensive strength is our over-stocked stable of running backs. I don't believe any team in the NFL can boast a backfield that is as deep, as talented, or as versatile as ours.

2. Our receiving corps is among the worst in the NFL. Lee Evans, our best wide out, is at best an acceptable #2 option, but would be a #3 option on most potent offensive teams, and beyond him, nobody else on our receiving depth chart would likely be in the top 3 on the depth chart of any other team in the league. We are basically playing in the NFL with corp of collegiate level receivers. We have no tight end that can be established as a legitimate threat. We have no game breaker who can make the big catch in traffic or who can exploit the middle of the field. Our receivers leave much to be desired.

3. Chan Gailey and Trent Edwards are far more aware of what is necessary to make an effective offense than most if not all of their detractors who post on this board, including knowledge of the elementary principle that the ball must be thrown down the field in order to loosen the defense.

Considering these observations, how can one explain the following observations from today's game:

- The most talented backfield in the league averaged a meager 2.9 yards per rush attempt.

- We had an almost unbelievable lack of down field routes even called, much less thrown to.

There is only one reasonable explanation that answers the question and explains each observation, and that is that we are witnessing possibly the worst starting offensive line that the NFL has ever seen. Trent Edwards knows it, and thus looks to escape the rush or make an easy completion, rather than risk throwing the ball to a receiver who cannot beat his defender in single coverage and who cannot go up and make any kind of play on a ball that isn't perfect. Chan Gailey knows it, thus he does not call for routes that he knows will not ever have time to develop. And every defensive coordinator in the league knows it, thus they stack the box to stop the run and since they don't need to blitz, they can play blanket coverage anyway. I'm pretty sure that any Pop-Warner coach in America could figure out that if you have the best RBs in the league you should run the ball more than pass it, unless of course you have absolutely zero faith in your offensive line's ability to open up running lanes. In that case, you must attempt to "trick" the defense into over pursuing in a pass rush and try to get completions beneath the secondary, via screens and crosses and RBs coming out of the backfield on delayed routes.

Also keep in mind that when you have zero ability to establish the run (which is almost always due to poor offensive line play), you have zero ability to play action, which is by far the best way to create down field separation that leads to big plays.

So really it is beyond absurd for all of you to continue to blame Trent Edwards, or even Fitzpatrick or even Brohm for the Bills' continuing problems moving the ball. Every measurable dynamic that affects the outcome of the game and bears upon the success (or failure) of the offense can be easily and simply traced back to the O-line. Ultimately, until the O-line is addressed, it is useless and utterly irrelevant to keep speculating about which QB should be in the game. So all of you sanctimonious, "I think I know something about football because I can reset the game and win every time at Madden" retards please keep posting your ridiculous and inane comments. I truly enjoy laughing at your stupidity.

+1

Not only does the O line deserve the credit for this loss, its the coaching and the morons in the front office that thought Green- Bell could get the job done.

Agreed. We need a welded steel O line...........not this paper mache one that is reinforced by more rookies. On most plays, I thought our line got physically dominated...esp the tackles and hanger.

Even if TE achieves his full potential, IMO he would be a high accuracy but over all average QB. Two things need to happen though. He needs time from the O-line to let plays develop and he needs to make his decisions faster.

We have an amazing stable of RBs. It's a pity we can't do anything with them until our oline improves. Just goes to show how individual performance really is a subset of overall team effort.

When it's 8 against 5 every play of course the line is going to lose that battle. Those extra three defenders come from a complete lack of having to respect Trent's passing. Does any QB in the entire NFL throw more passes behind the line of scrimmage than him?

I'll say it again, 8 seconds left, Trent throw an 8 yard pass,... nope, still doesn't make sense to me.

When it's 8 against 5 every play of course the line is going to lose that battle. Those extra three defenders come from a complete lack of having to respect Trent's passing. Does any QB in the entire NFL throw more passes behind the line of scrimmage than him?

I'll say it again, 8 seconds left, Trent throw an 8 yard pass,... nope, still doesn't make sense to me.

The Fins were getting QB pressures on 4 and 3 man rushes.

THAT is pathetic.

I agreed with you and was arguing the same point to my friends until the final drive when trent refused to even try and throw the ball out there to let a wr make a play. At that point in time it became neccesary to try it even if a pick was the result. Final play 5 yard pass to the middle of the field?!

The o line def needs work but if u watch the wr aren't gaining separation and the qb isn't throwing to spots instead of players. The optimist in me is hoping this was like the wash game where adjustments can be made before gb. If not it will be another long afternoon.

The defense needs some help from our o!

The Fins were getting QB pressures on 4 and 3 man rushes.

THAT is pathetic.

If you mean that make-believe pressure in Trent's head that causes him to stop looking downfield and run to the outside instead of just stepping up and let the pocket fold around him and then make a play (and by play I mean a pass longer than 2 yards past the line of scrimmage), then yes. That pressure was there.

If you mean that make-believe pressure in Trent's head that causes him to stop looking downfield and run to the outside instead of just stepping up and let the pocket fold around him and then make a play (and by play I mean a pass longer than 2 yards past the line of scrimmage), then yes. That pressure was there.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Good post, but Evans is a clear number one on most NFL teams. He's an excellent player trapped in a miserable situation.

So all of you sanctimonious, "I think I know something about football because I can reset the game and win every time at Madden" retards please keep posting your ridiculous and inane comments. I truly enjoy laughing at your stupidity.

Ironic post is ironic.

Edited by Ralonzo

Why do continue to miss were out gunned at the line of scrimmage. They have such disrespect for the passing game they have 8-9 guys to our 5-6 blocking leaving then always 2-3 guys unblocked. Nothing will change until the QB play is better. It is embarrassing, it is tough to watch but it won't change until the quarterback can makes some throws or is atleast willing to try. Quit blaming the OL when its 7 of 5 they aren't going to get them blocked

Lee Evans has break away speed, runs good routes, and generally has good hands. He is a solid number 1 on 25 of the teams in the NFL.

Lee Evans certainly does not have breakaway speed. He runs OK routes, but has never been able to get separation in his career. He does have good hands, and is also extremely durable. He is the opposite of your second sentence .. he is not a number 1 on 25 teams in this league. I would say he is a solid number 2 on a vast majority of the teams however.

But, he is being paid like a solid number 1 however.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Yep, the coaches :doh:

+1

Not only does the O line deserve the credit for this loss, its the coaching and the morons in the front office that thought Green- Bell could get the job done.

I don't think they are surprised at all. You only have so many draft picks. They couldn't predict Wang being injured and missing so much practice time.

I didn't think Bell was very good at all but he was much worse than even I expected. There was one play, a delay to his side where he let his guy go and went to seal the edge from inside pursuit a step or two beyond

the LOS. His guy almost got the hand off before the back did. I can't imagine that the play was designed to leave the man closest to the back at the snap unblocked. Either someone was supposed to pull or Bell

thought it was a sweep of some kind where someone else was responsible for his guy and he had the job of sealing the edge so the back could get outside.

It looke to me like on the sack he gave up, his guy went inside and Bell followed him where he eventually had pretty much no one to block. Meanwhile, the LB went in untouched. Stunting inside is not exactly unusual.

I wouldn't expect any OT in the league to be fooled by that move.

And not to leave out the other OT on the right who gave up a sack straight up to an outside speed rush where he simply couldn't get his butt back fast enough.

And I saw Wood get bullrushed which is not something I expected to ever see. He and Levitre played well last year as rookies. They need to improve over that quite a bit before being considered solid, career long starters.

I am hoping that what we saw was a young team with marginal talent at some key positions who don't yet have the hang of a new offense where mental mistakes are particularly costly.

And as for Trent, well, when he had a little time he blew down the field. What bothered me though were those two near pick sixes he threw on out patterns. He was one lucky SOB on both of those. So yeah, as bad as it was,

it could have been even worse.