The QB is the problem......we all know it!

sven233

The QB sucks. The O-line sucks. Both of these are true but I think the biggest reason we lost is the coaching. The play calling sucked. It was terrible. I am officially on board with firing Gailey and starting over again. I hated the hire, but was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he showed today that he is not an offensive guru as many of the Kool-Aid drinkers had said. He showed today why he was out of the NFL. Terrible game plan. Terrible play calling. Although now I understand why he has Trent at the top of the QB depth chart, he doesn't like any passes further than 2 yards. Most of the time there was not a receiver running a pattern anywhere downfield. This gameplan was awful. If things do not improve drastically, I really don't see how they expect anyone to go to the games.

I must say, I was shocked at our play calling. I expected more and a couple of times thought DJ was still running the show. Now it's only one game, so I will wait and see.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not being biased here - I was shocked when Gailey called Edwards his starter.  Some of it is just that I thought Brohm looked more promising.  But, most of it was that Edwards caved in last year and showed everyone what type of player he is.  And, he showed it to Gailey today.  You blitz him, put pressure on him and he folds.  He is not a Leader of Men.  He is cowardly.  You can see it so much in his body language.  He acts defeated.  He has no fire, no toughness.  Some of it is just unconscious body communication - but I swear, the guy isn't what an NFL QB should be like.  Men aren't going to follow T. Edwards.  They are going to stop playing hard if Gailey doesn't see this and rectify it soon.  No excuses, and please let's not waste the season with giving him a chance.  It's obvious to me - I just can't stand the Bills with Edwards.  Even if we were to win the next three games with him as our QB, I'd still think, he's apt to fall apart - and sooner or later he will.  

Brian Bohm!

ah- grasshopper

the master plan is finish with a top 3 draft pick

why else does an offensive genius like Chan go in to the season with a total turd at QB and then pretend that Bell, Meredith and Green are anything more than training camp fodder. 

I must say, I was shocked at our play calling. I expected more and a couple of times thought DJ was still running the show. Now it's only one game, so I will wait and see.

1) The bills had 2 weeks to prepare and signed 2 miami dolphin players to get the inside scoop. 2)Trent Edwards threw 2 interceptions for touchdowns against almost any other teams. Miami is not a good team. TE is Rob johnson redux. He couldn't bring you back home from the corner store. Why Chan Gailey wants this reclamation project stumps me. Maybe he watched the quickest draw show. TO knew and I suspect the locker room is going to give up too. Cornel Green stood up or him and he sure secured the right tackle positon today. LOL. 3) the defense played better than I expected. Before the season is over however Miami will vie for worst quarterbacking. Parcells bailed out before it becomes evident. Fitz is better than Henne who is better than TE. Brian Brohm is another reclamation project. Chan is the saint of lost causes. TE will start again next week but before the season is over Chan will pull off a Perry Fewell. Jim Kelly played QB and knows the pretenders. Why Chan would cut anybody who "has a feel for the game" over a bunch of QB's who get paralyzed by overanalysis blows me away. I hope they get the right QB next year. One game tells it all.

Look....we all know it. The QB is the main reason we lost this game. Unfortunately, until we get a QB that is willing to take some chances, knows how to feel a rush and step up into the pocket and deliver the ball on time, we have no chance to win. And before you say it........YES, THERE WAS A POCKET TO STEP UP INTO MOST OF THE DAY TODAY.

Excellent point. We were talking about this very subject on the ride home from the game today. I thought this was a very glaring difference in the preseason, that Brohm knows when and how to step up into the pocket, make a decision and deliver the ball quickly. Trent just couldn't seem to get that, then or today. Granted, Chan was out-coached today, and his offensive game plan didn't help Trent out much with the Fins lying in wait...BUT, I'm starting to believe there is no further upside to Edwards' game. Gonna be a lonnnngggggg season.

Brohm never really got a chance to showcase his talents. It was not a fair competition. Now we have Trent for the rest of the year, and if we win 2 games, it will be great.

How do you know Brohm has any talent? Why would Gailey not let the best QB play? He didn't draft any of these guys. In fact he cut the only guy he may have had a hand in drafting. Get off the Brohm wagon. He sucks. If the Bills had cut him and kept a sixth WR or extra offensive lineman he would be out of a job.

Yes, the O-Line needs help as well, but having a QB that drops back, steps up into the pocket (and as I said......THERE WAS A POCKET MOST OF THE DAY), and delivers the ball on time would make the O-Line look better.

Let's face it, most of the pressure today came from the outside. BUT THAT IS WHY YOU STEP UP INTO THE POCKET!!!!!!! THE POCKET PROTECTS YOU AND RUNS DEFENDERS AROUND YOU!!!! THE POCKET IS YOUR FRIEND!!!! Instead, what Trent does is see the outside rush coming and instead of stepping up to avoid it, HE RUNS BACKWARDS SO THE OUTSIDE RUSH GETS TO HIM FASTER!!!!!!!!

There is a rhythm when you play QB. Whether it is a 3 Step Drop, 5 Step Drop, or 7 Step Drop, as soon as you plant your back foot, you step up in the pocket and deliver the ball. It is called "getting the ball out on time." ONE, TWO, THREE.....STEP UP AND THROW. Easy concept. What Trent does is One, TWO, THREE......RUN BACKWARDS AND TO THE SIDE SO THE OUTSIDE RUSH CAN CATCH UP EVEN FASTER....HOLD THE BALL AS LONG AS POSSIBLE AND BARELY GET RID OF IT OUT OF BOUNDS (OR NEARLY THROW A PICK 6).

I think part of Trent's problem is that he is scared to throw an incomplete pass. Honestly, I believe this is a problem. He waits forever (while running backwards) to throw the ball away. Many times he just takes the sack when there is plenty of time to just throw it away. I guess he cares more about his completion percentage than 3rd down percentage or winning percentage.

Anyway, I have been done with Trent for a while now. I know we have crap behind him, but that crap is better than what Trent is.

Yes, the O-Line needs help as well, but having a QB that drops back, steps up into the pocket (and as I said......THERE WAS A POCKET MOST OF THE DAY),

I'm sorry but you're just wrong. Levitre, Hangartner, the backs and even Wood at times were just awful in passpro today. There was nowhere to step up into because there was either a guy coming free on the interior loop or there was a pile of guys laying in the middle of the pocket. You can type it in big capital letter as many times as you want but you are still completely and utterly wrong.

I'm sorry but you're just wrong. Levitre, Hangartner, the backs and even Wood at times were just awful in passpro today. There was nowhere to step up into because there was either a guy coming free on the interior loop or there was a pile of guys laying in the middle of the pocket. You can type it in big capital letter as many times as you want but you are still completely and utterly wrong.

Watch the game and then we'll talk. There was a pocket a lot of the day. The announcers even commented on it a few times. The posters here saw it as well. Obviously you listened on the radio or something because you must not have seen the game. He did have time a good part of the day.

Man, the people that stick up for Trent are amazing. When he is out of the league in a couple years or sitting on the bench as a third stringer, come talk to us then.

Trent lost us this game. He should have had 2 pick 6's as well. He made 2.....maybe 3 good throws the entire game. Yes, the O-Line is bad (the Tackle positions mainly), but Trent can't read a defense, he can't feel pressure coming and he is scared to throw an incomplete pass.

Yep. There were breakdowns all across the line. At least in the actual Bills game, but maybe not the Madden sim... ;)

Watch the game and then we'll talk. There was a pocket a lot of the day. The announcers even commented on it a few times. The posters here saw it as well. Obviously you listened on the radio or something because you must not have seen the game. He did have time a good part of the day.

Man, the people that stick up for Trent are amazing. When he is out of the league in a couple years or sitting on the bench as a third stringer, come talk to us then.

I did watch the game; and there is no doubt in my mind that I saw much more in it than you did.

Sorry, but that's the simple truth.

Where did I say anything about Trent in this thread?

In some other threads I said his decision making was awful and bizarre, that he's scared to get hurt before he gets a second contract and that he's probably not the answer for the Bills at QB. Wow, I've really got his back :lol:

Your reading comprehension is on par with your gameday analysis.

Yep. There were breakdowns all across the line. At least in the actual Bills game, but maybe not the Madden sim... ;)

I just don't understand what on Earth these people are looking at on Sundays. IS there some kind of psychological condition akin to Stockholm Syndrome that makes them utterly incapable of seeing what transpired before their very eyes?

The mind is a singularly unique and mysterious instrument!

Obviously you are not blaming the QB.........you are blaming the O-Line for all the the QBs trouble. If that is the case, you don't know football. Trent had 40 FREAKING YARDS through 3 quarters. I don't care how many breakdowns a offensive line has, that is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to do. You are telling me that either Fitz or Brohm would have done that or worse through 3 quarters? I don't think so.

Fact is that if the QB understood where to go with the ball and throw it on time, the offensive line would look a lot better. Just watch other QBs play the game. They get hit a lot as well. Rodgers took a BEATING today and still made throws. Was it his best game? NO! But he made plays and led his team to points even though his offensive line played terrible.

Talk to the rest of the millions of people who watched the game today and just see where they put the blame as well. Yes, the offensive lines had breakdowns. EVERY TEAM'S LINE HAS BREAKDOWNS. But other QBs overcome it and make plays. Edwards can't. He has not been able to make plays in 3 years. You can count on 1 hand the number of big throws he has made in his career......let alone this game. throw this game out if you want. His play speaks for itself. Even the worst QBs in the league make plays once in a while. Name a play he has made in the last couple years that WON us a game.

But that's OK........you defend the QB playing today. I guarantee that if another QB was playing today, he would have had more than 40 yards passing in the first 3 quarters no matter what O-Line he was playing behind.

Edited by sven233

I don't think anyone is trying to say that, but even with a better o-line, the current QB is still going to make them look bad when teams challenge him all day because they don't have to respect his arm and can just stack the box all day and rush. A good QB can make a mediocre o-line look much better then a good o-line can make a mediocre QB look better. Just look at GB as a great example of that.

Not the right evening for me to stick up for Trent, but our o-line was terrible today and couldn't establish the run either.

I also was very happy and impressed with two of his passes downfield especially...the one called back for the hold, and the TD to Roscoe. Both of those were the midrange passes (not short, not bomb to Lee) that he has completely been lacking. So one thing to build on in a disappointing game.

I am very disappointed with our offensive play today, including Trent. But I thought our line and blocking was an even bigger problem than Trent today.

On offense we have immediate need of capable veteran:

QB, LT, RT, and TE (I am not sold on Nelson & Stupar is a backup)

We have additional needs at:

C, #2 WR, #1 WR. (Lee does nothing, blame the QB all you want, but Lee doesn't even try.)

In my mind we are set at RB and both guard positions and #2 TE.

That we line up 11 players is a credit to the coaches.

Brohm never really got a chance to showcase his talents. It was not a fair competition. Now we have Trent for the rest of the year, and if we win 2 games, it will be great.

If I were the coach, I would give Trent 3 or 4 games to see if he can right the ship, if he can't do it, I would name Brohm as my starter for the rest of the year to see if he has the potential to be the future QB (knowing that Fitz is a career back-up) And also knowing that I am most likely throwing the season away to re-build. Then I would be sending my best scouts to see which QB we'd be drafting next year.

Gailey has to be careful though, if he gives up on Trent he could be signaling to the team he is giving up on the season and lose the veterans in the locker room. Hopefully, Trent will realize his potential and make the adjustments in GB next week.

Edited by tonyd19

Not the right evening for me to stick up for Trent, but our o-line was terrible today and couldn't establish the run either.

I also was very happy and impressed with two of his passes downfield especially...the one called back for the hold, and the TD to Roscoe. Both of those were the midrange passes (not short, not bomb to Lee) that he has completely been lacking. So one thing to build on in a disappointing game.

I am very disappointed with our offensive play today, including Trent. But I thought our line and blocking was an even bigger problem than Trent today.

Exactly......this is not the day to stick up the the QB that played. He made a couple pretty good throws. The one that got called back due to the hold on AL was nice. The TD to Roscoe was pretty nice even if it was wide open due to a blown coverage. He also had a nice throw to Evans on the run that Evans didn't bring in, but it was still a decent throw. But the fact s he had 40 yards through 3 quarters. No defending that.

In this league, you need a QB that can overcome adversity and make plays. Trent has not shown that he can do that, especially against a 3-4 defense. The O-Line has its own problems, but our QB does not help them out at all by holding onto the ball as long as he does.

If I were the coach, I would give Trent 3 or 4 games to see if he can right the ship, if he can't do it, I would name Brohm as my starter for the rest of the year to see if he has the potential to be the future QB (knowing that Fitz is a career back-up) And also knowing that I am most likely throwing the season away to re-build. Then I would be sending my best scouts to see which QB we'd be drafting next year.

Gailey has to be careful though, if he gives up on Trent he could be signaling to the team he is giving up on the season and lose the veterans in the locker room. Hopefully, Trent will realize his potential and make the adjustments in GB next week.

Very true. Edwards has to start the next game. He probably needs to start the game after that. But, if the trend continues, you need to shake things up or you are not being fair to the rest of the team. Edwards does not need to be pulled immediately. After all, it was the first game and it was filled with mistakes. BUT, if he continues they way he played today over the next couple weeks, a change will need to be made. And I do believe the coaching staff knows this. After all, Gailey did say in his PC after the game that this game was on him and the QB. He said that they were both big boys and could take the criticism. I like that. But Gailey doesn't strike me as a guy that will accept repeated mistakes. Edwards must improve and do it quickly. And the play-calling needs to as well. Having Edwards throw 30+ times a game is not going to get it done on a regular basis.

Edited by sven233

Overall you are correct. There were a couple of opportunities I noticed when I thought Trent could have bought another second or two by making slight adjustments in the pocket, but for the most part there wasn't much of a pocket.

I liked that he finally figured out he is allowed to move, and not necessarily to run, and he was buying himself some time as the game progressed. The problem with that is, Trent simply is not good throwing on the move. I'm not sure he will ever develop that skill and that could be an issue during the year.

I know it really isn't fair to pick one bad play, especially one that happened while Trent was throwing out of the end zone, but... The near INT he threw when the Bills were pinned at their own goal line was the perfect example of Trent not throwing the ball when he is supposed to. He lets that pass go when he should, it is a completion (assuming on target and caught) and the WR is moving and has one man to beat to pick up a nice chunk of yardage. Instead, Trent waits, and the defender has plenty of time to adjust and jump the route. That really pissed me off.

I thought Edwards had awful pocket awareness today.

Yeah the line was bad but it wasn't like they were collapsed on every play, many times they created enough of a pocket for Trent to make a play but he simply refused or in most cases felt pressure that wasn't there.

It seemed like any flash of white and Edwards flushed out as fast as he could.

I appreciate that Edwards refused to slide on a couple of running plays but I still maintain Trent has never been the same since his Arizona destruction.

He is terrified of a blindside hit.