Shawn Nelson Suspension

bills in va

It's NOT his first offense? Really??? I'm unaware of any violations or incidents with Shawn Nelson last season (his rookie year). Can you enlighten me?

And, BTW, here is the NFL policy on banned substances:

Banned substances policy

The NFL banned substances policy has been acclaimed by some and criticized by others, but the policy is the longest running in American professional sports, beginning in 1987. The current policy of the NFL suspends players without pay who test positive for banned substances as it has since 1989: four games for the first offense (a quarter of the regular season), eight games for a second offense (half of the regular season), and 12 months for a third offense. The suspended games may be either regular season games or playoff games.

Best be careful when throwing out words like "ignorance" and "stupid". <_<

failing a drug test, and testing positive for a banned substance, are not the same thing.

i might be wrong, but i believe you can fail a test and the league doesnt even notify your team, but you are in the "program". a second failure, and you are suspended. and there are PLENTY of ways you can fail a test without testing positive for anything. if youve been hydrating a lot lately (like during camp) and your urine is diluted, FAIL. etc.

but we are on the same page with our overall points that the details aren't anyone's business, and people need to get off their high horses with name calling and accusations and rush to judgments.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked Chris Brown of Inside the Bills about Shawn Nelsons suspension. He told me it was most likely due to a GNC supplement that had a banned substance. He said alot of rookies make similar mistakes, no big deal. I had to disagree with him and said that if it were that simple, why not say so instead of leaving the fans to wonder if he's a drug addict or just stupid for not reading labels. If alot of rookies make those mistakes then why not more suspensions? He then chastized me and said I shouldn't "throw stones" because I don't know all the facts. Well then why doesn't OBD provide some answers?

So my questions to you guys are:

What was the substance Shawn Nelson was suspended for?

If it was so innocent why the information blackout and secrecy?

Is Chris Brown just a master propoganda puppet for the Bills?

Nelson himself said in an interview that it wasn't anything illegal. You can believe him or not. I choose to believe him. Why do you feel the need to investigate this further? Of all the things to be dwelling on with the Dolphins coming up Sunday. Go away.

I asked Chris Brown of Inside the Bills about Shawn Nelsons suspension. He told me it was most likely due to a GNC supplement that had a banned substance. He said alot of rookies make similar mistakes, no big deal. I had to disagree with him and said that if it were that simple, why not say so instead of leaving the fans to wonder if he's a drug addict or just stupid for not reading labels. If alot of rookies make those mistakes then why not more suspensions? He then chastized me and said I shouldn't "throw stones" because I don't know all the facts. Well then why doesn't OBD provide some answers?

So my questions to you guys are:

What was the substance Shawn Nelson was suspended for?

If it was so innocent why the information blackout and secrecy?

Is Chris Brown just a master propoganda puppet for the Bills?

My guess is that if Chris Brown had that conversation with you he was probably over the confidentiality line. The player can tell you what the substance was, but not the employer.

I'm not buying the HIPPA garbage on this one. Players injuries get listed everyday. I also would like to know what he took. It does make a difference. I'm not sure why many others don't want to know what he took. Look at the amount of posts some people have on here and the amount of their lives they waste posting on one website. Some people are pushing 10,000 posts and probably don't know their child's teachers' names. You live and die the Bills. All of a sudden when the TE on our team, that looks to have the most potential at the position in years, is suspended for 4 games nobody cares. I also believe the Bills are doing the right thing by not talking if they are not required.

Edited by bills7834

I'm not buying the HIPPA garbage on this one. Players injuries get listed everyday. I also would like to know what he took.

Boohoo. You don't get what you want.

It's not your business.

Grow up.

Dean - I wasn't whining about not knowing why our TE was suspended. I'm curious though. I find it odd that others are not. People on this board want to know every detail about every player. He was suspended and can't play for the team I follow. It kind of is the business of the fans. I am not losing any sleep over it. I just would like to know. As I stated before I also understand why the Bills FO is not saying anything as they are not required.

By the way I'm not sure what I wrote to make you respond like an a$$ maybe they served tuna casserole again to you at the senior center or you lost at shuffleboard again. I ask that you try to grow up yourself.

Correct. By setting a precedent of silence on the matter, the teams can state 'you dont know all the facts' regardless of the scenario. He could have used a diuretic from GNC, or have been chasing his steroids with heroin and we would get the same response. There is most likely a clause in the existing CBA to allow for player privacy in most situations.

The question was about Chris Brown. While his first response to the thread starter's inquiry was appropriate and possibly helpful, his second was both inappropriate ad indicative of the fact that Chris Brown is the equivalent of an unattractive spokesmodel who is given a mike and gets to pretend to be a journalist. His response was equivalent to "no, YOU'RE stupid", which is pathetic. A simple, "the team has a policy of not commenting in these cases" is the correct answer. Why would you get defensive about it at all?

I'm not buying the HIPPA garbage on this one. Players injuries get listed everyday. I also would like to know what he took. It does make a difference. I'm not sure why many others don't want to know what he took. Look at the amount of posts some people have on here and the amount of their lives they waste posting on one website. Some people are pushing 10,000 posts and probably don't know their child's teachers' names. You live and die the Bills. All of a sudden when the TE on our team, that looks to have the most potential at the position in years, is suspended for 4 games nobody cares. I also believe the Bills are doing the right thing by not talking if they are not required.

You want to know what exact PED/masking agent he took?

I was curious to know what he took. Was it steroids? If it is known that he was taking a masking agent then I'm unaware. If it was an over the counter GNC type supplement I believe it would speak volumes on where his maturity level is. I do remember Bruce getting popped for cocaine and he ended up doing ok. My original post was really defending the posters comment that he would like to know what he took. He then seemed to get attacked. It is a legitimate question IMO.

If he was taking roids he was cheating. I remember a few posters, a couple years back, mentioning the Patriots were taking HGH. People wanted to know. I just think there are bigger jerks trolling and posting argumentative crap that are better targets to attack.

This is pretty simple.

He got suspended for a performance enhancer. It was either a testosterone supplement (steroid) or a stimulant (like ephedra). He either injected it, took a pill, or rubbed it on his skin. Who cares?

Personally, if he is going to get busted I hope he was using the real stuff because 1) it works and 2) why waste 4 games on some mild pro-hormone from GNC when you get the same penalty for the real stuff and get some good gains in lean body mass while you are riding the pine.

RTB

Nelson himself said in an interview that it wasn't anything illegal. You can believe him or not. I choose to believe him. Why do you feel the need to investigate this further? Of all the things to be dwelling on with the Dolphins coming up Sunday. Go away.

I talk X's and O's at length and will be leaving for Buffalo Friday after work for the game. I bring it up because it got buried under alot of other topics, many of which I posted and I wanted to know if others had more info. So before you tell a 30+ year fan to "go away", smack yourself in the face a few times and save me the trouble. I still laugh when people like you post the rudest crap while you hide behind your computer. I never start any smack talk on a fan message board as its petty and juvenille, but I darn sure will defend myself. Next time I post a topic do us both a favor and skip it. I enjoy reading opposing opinions and being educated by other fans who know more than me on any topic, but rude comments in response to a question are over the decency line.

It is my understanding that you don't get suspended with your first transgression. You are put on a list and are subjected to a suspension the next time you are caught. If that is the case then Nelson was being careless with the products he was taking.

I would appreciate it if someone will clarify whether it takes more than one banned drug transgression before enduring a suspension?

If you get caught using illegal drugs I believe tha tthe first step is to put you in the drug program, but no suspension. You get a suspension on the second offense. If it is performance enhancing, then you get suspendded right away.

I was curious to know what he took. Was it steroids? If it is known that he was taking a masking agent then I'm unaware. If it was an over the counter GNC type supplement I believe it would speak volumes on where his maturity level is. I do remember Bruce getting popped for cocaine and he ended up doing ok. My original post was really defending the posters comment that he would like to know what he took. He then seemed to get attacked. It is a legitimate question IMO.

If he was taking roids he was cheating. I remember a few posters, a couple years back, mentioning the Patriots were taking HGH. People wanted to know. I just think there are bigger jerks trolling and posting argumentative crap that are better targets to attack.

Thanks for defending my right to ask a simple question. Some people take every opportunity to atack fellow fans for wanting more information. C'mon people!

The question was about Chris Brown. While his first response to the thread starter's inquiry was appropriate and possibly helpful, his second was both inappropriate ad indicative of the fact that Chris Brown is the equivalent of an unattractive spokesmodel who is given a mike and gets to pretend to be a journalist. His response was equivalent to "no, YOU'RE stupid", which is pathetic. A simple, "the team has a policy of not commenting in these cases" is the correct answer. Why would you get defensive about it at all?

actually, if you want to analyze the OP's conversation with Chris Brown, and why it became sch an issue that he felt he needed a thread about it... it goes like this:

I asked Chris Brown of Inside the Bills about Shawn Nelsons suspension.

He told me it was most likely due to a GNC supplement that had a banned substance. He said alot of rookies make similar mistakes, no big deal.

I had to disagree with him

So OP asked a question that he already had a desired answer built up for, and when he didnt get the answer he wanted, he complained about CB.

It's like arguing with my girlfriend... :rolleyes:

If you get caught using illegal drugs I believe tha tthe first step is to put you in the drug program, but no suspension. You get a suspension on the second offense. If it is performance enhancing, then you get suspendded right away.

Thank you for the explanation. Since Nelson stated that he wasn't suspended for taking anything illegal then it is probable he was suspended for a taking a performance enhancing or masking product????

Thank you for the explanation. Since Nelson stated that he wasn't suspended for taking anything illegal then it is probable he was suspended for a taking a performance enhancing or masking product????

Again, this is wrong. A first offense merits an automatic 4-game suspension, unless the player wins on appeal.

Does it really matter what it was?

It was illegal for his job. He got in trouble for it.

What matters now is if he stays clean.

I hope he does, and it's none of my business what it was in the first place.

Good luck Shawn, I hope to have you back on the team and providing productivity for our offense. :)

Ditto