Bills signed TE David Martin and claimed G Kraig Urbik off waivers fro

Stussy109

I am telling you one thing, less defensive pressure up the middle on Trent Edwards. Simular to Ingonito but a lot less trouble

Incognito started. Urbik was brought in to back up. So I understand your point, but less pressure up the middle without an injury will have nothing to do with Urbik at the outset.

Edited by Buffalonian-at-Heart

Nice pick ups

Well, I'll give Nix some profs for picking up Martin, a 10 year career back up (although he did start almost the entire 2007 season for the Dolphins). But Urbik fits right in with his profile, a young vet with almost zero NFL experience....no surprises there.

I am telling you one thing, less defensive pressure up the middle on Trent Edwards. Simular to Ingonito but a lot less trouble

Similar, but not the same. Both can power run block, RI is better than KU in a zone blocking scheme, in getting to the second level and generally operating in space. KU is probably a better pass blocker. And yes, Richie is certifiably insane whereas KU is a wholesome Wisconsin farmboy.

Only reason we picked up Martin was to try to get info for upcoming Miami game. He is no beter than what we have , yet much older.

If Martin is close to the same player he was two years ago, he is immediately the best pass catching tight end on the roster (including Nelson). Not a very good blocker and cannot play special teams. Chan may be looking for another weapon here and a proven commodity. Really all depends on whether his knee is 100%. If it is he will stick and is good to go for the year.

You got that right. Urbik went an entire season with 1 penalty while Incognito amassed more than that in one series with us.

I had Urbik as a 4th Rounder, and he was drafted in the 3rd Round. He played RT with the Badgers, then RG, and even LT for 3 games. He led the Big Ten in TD-resulting blocks--26 in 2 years.

That sucks. He seemed so happy in his video interview on the team site.

I agree. I feel really bad for the guy. Hopefully they'll put him on the practice squad.

This is from CDS;

Strengths

Urbik is very polished having four years and 49 starts under his belt. He rarely ever misses a block and was penalized very few times last season on a line that seemed to be committing a lot of fouls....

Weaknesses

Had trouble with lighter quicker ends....

Looked good going into the draft. Let's see what he has in the tank. Doug Whaley was with the Steelers when Urbik was drafted so he's familiar with his college tapes and one year of being on a 53 man roster. JMO

Edited by Steely Dan

I agree. I feel really bad for the guy. Hopefully they'll put him on the practice squad.

This is from CBS;

Strengths

Urbik is very polished having four years and 49 starts under his belt. He rarely ever misses a block and was penalized very few times last season on a line that seemed to be committing a lot of fouls....

Weaknesses

Had trouble with lighter quicker ends....

Looked good going into the draft. Let's see what he has in the tank. Doug Whaley was with the Steelers when Urbik was drafted so he's familiar with his college tapes and one year of being on a 53 man roster. JMO

I found the comment about "Had trouble with lighter quicker ends" interesting. Being an interior lineman, when would he go up against light and quick ends? I could understand going against ends facing 3-4 defenses, but the ends aren't typically light and quick in a 3-4.

I found the comment about "Had trouble with lighter quicker ends" interesting. Being an interior lineman, when would he go up against light and quick ends? I could understand going against ends facing 3-4 defenses, but the ends aren't typically light and quick in a 3-4.

Can't get the link to open, but it's from his college days. He played T in college.

I think it was because Urbik began his career as a RT and only played Guard his last season or two in college. Still though, your point stands...he's not going to see very many quick DEs if he's along the interior.

Can't get the link to open, but it's from his college days. He played T in college.

According to Pro Football Weekly 2009 Draft Preview he started at T but was moved to G where he played most of his career. They also say he can play multiple positions on the line. This looks like a very good backup signing with upside.

According to Pro Football Weekly 2009 Draft Preview he started at T but was moved to G where he played most of his career. They also say he can play multiple positions on the line. This looks like a very good backup signing with upside.

.......and a big backside. :devil:

RavensInsider Guard Kraig Urbik was popular today. Sent to Bills off waivers from PIT, but Bengals, Jets, Broncos and Dolphins all put in claims.

Wow!

Yeah, especially when the negatives on him appear to be related to Tackle duties.

I think if you move Wood to C, which they have consistently practiced, and Urbik to Wood's old guard spot....

...he was brought in to compete with Hangartner.

there ya go...great lookin future. now if bell can take that next step we got ourselves a nice line.