Bills should claim Max Jean-Gilles

Maddog69

Our problem on the OL isn't the interior.

Our OL interior needs a lot of work. It is likely overlooked as the Ts suck more.

As far as depth it is. As for Jean-Gilles, you have to wonder if there is some type of under the table deal made with the Eagles for them to cut him. Perhaps the promise of an extension or raise. I would think he could be signed by another team, but a starting job would likely have to be promised, and he wouldn't get that here.

Maybe not promised, but it wouldnt take him long to take over as a starter. Hangartner is a major weakness.

Why is it that people on here think we must sign every FA guard available?

WE NEED TACKLES, NOT GUARDS... FOR **** SAKES!

I'm sorry for the blow up, but I'm getting sick of these threads. We need tackles. We don't need guards. At all. Our interior OL is in good shape.

See above please.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He would be a nice pickup, but I don't see it happening.

However, Oakland released OL Brandon Rodd, and Baltimore released OL Ramon Harewood. For some reason I think they would fit in better.

What's your reason for thinking they would fit in better?

Wasn't Brandon Rodd cut by the Bills and picked up by Oakland?

Why do we want him back?

You need to relax. You also need to look at the roster. We have Hangartner, Levitre and Wood as the starters inside. Backed up by Cordaro Howard and that's it. Wang can also cover inside but he's still not healthy. I'm no rocket scientist but that lineup doesn't look rock solid to me. I agree that we could use tackles, but the interior of the line is also a concern.

Howard is the back up who would fill in either G spot. Wood can fill in at C. Meredith and Wang can kick inside and play G too. It's T where we need help. The interior OL is much more flexible to play, it's an easier position to play and it's less important than the T spots. There is no concern on the interior. We have two future Pro Bowl Gs and a decent/reliable C. Our Ts are garbage.

No. We are not allowed to pick up anyone we didn't draft. Sorry.

A time honored tradition at TBD is for someone to point out that we're not in the NFL and the front office knows best. But goodness gracious Meredith, C. Howard (not Curly), and Wang aren't much for OL depth. Better hope all 5 play all 16 games if they don't add anyone.

Our problem on the OL isn't the interior.

Get a clue. Cordaro Howard, an undrafted rookie, is backing up both G and center ... and he never played center. We cannot go into the regular season with this situation.

We need someone that can play the damm game as a backup. If Wood gets hurt we are screwed with Howard at RG and no backup center.

We will pick up someone. Maybe not Jean-Gilles, but someone that can cover both positions.

A time honored tradition at TBD is for someone to point out that we're not in the NFL and the front office knows best. But goodness gracious Meredith, C. Howard (not Curly), and Wang aren't much for OL depth. Better hope all 5 play all 16 games if they don't add anyone.

This has got to keep Chan up at night.

I'm sorry for the blow up, but I'm getting sick of these threads. We need tackles. We don't need guards. At all. Our interior OL is in good shape.

Look at the depth chart.

Gailey said today that Wood and Levitre have both taken reps at C in practice.

An Eagles fan in another forum explained to me that MJG isn't subject to waivers, because he's going into his 5th year. Players who get cut during this part of the season with 4 or less years of experience are subject to waivers. Once you get to your 5th year, you become a UFA.

If he started his first game in 2007, wouldn't that give him only 3 years of experience, not 4?

nfl.com and pro football reference have no stats for him b4 2007, and only 4 games not 6 (need 6 for it to count)

Maybe I just don't understand....or maybe the Eagles outsmarted themselves?

Woods still HAS NOT tested that leg and Hangartner gets manhandled sometimes. so an interior lineman "wood" haha be great in case wood wood need to go to center in a pinch or replace Hangartner all together. we have Corner and Lynch as good trade bait. The whole league knows we have depth in secondary and RB. We will get a tackle. We shudda never let that Incognito guy go, but thats that. i hope we can snag this one that ur talking about.

Cordaro Howard is the only interior backup I see on the depth chart. That's living very dangerously, IMO...

Get a clue. Cordaro Howard, an undrafted rookie, is backing up both G and center ... and he never played center. We cannot go into the regular season with this situation.

I understand that. We should be out there looking for interior depth, no question. In fact we should be looking for depth everywhere, except maybe the secondary and RB. But why would Jean-Gilles come here to be a backup? If we're looking for people who can start, I'd rather be looking for tackles. That's all.

I understand that. We should be out there looking for interior depth, no question. In fact we should be looking for depth everywhere, except maybe the secondary and RB. But why would Jean-Gilles come here to be a backup? If we're looking for people who can start, I'd rather be looking for tackles. That's all.

Finding a starter is unlikely, especially at the critical OT position. Teams do not cut staring caliber OT's.

It will take weeks for the new player to learn the playbook and the system anyways. Best you can do right now is add depth.

The OL in its current form is a disaster waiting to happen. Bell is coming back from a torn ACL and hasn't played a full game yet. Levitre will improve, but is strictly a guard/center because he lacks the arm length to handle edge rushers at either tackle position. Hangartner is average and nothing more. Wood has played, but I would bet isn't 100%. Cornell Green is a liability in pass protection and not anyone top notch in run blocking.

Meanwhile, it's a former GB PS guy as the swing OT, UDFA and rookie Howard backing up the 3 interior OL positions, and Ed Wang who is returning from thumb surgery last month. Yeah, I'd say they're going to make some moves. If they don't add a veteran G and OT, it's negligence on their part. That is, if there's anything worthwhile available.

Out of 8 OL on the roster as of today, 3 have had a major surgery in the past 9 months. Maybe once and for all people will realize building a backfield without an OL in front of it is recipe for disaster. But hey, it sells tickets!

The OL in its current form is a disaster waiting to happen. Bell is coming back from a torn ACL and hasn't played a full game yet. Levitre will improve, but is strictly a guard/center because he lacks the arm length to handle edge rushers at either tackle position. Hangartner is average and nothing more. Wood has played, but I would bet isn't 100%. Cornell Green is a liability in pass protection and not anyone top notch in run blocking.

Meanwhile, it's a former GB PS guy as the swing OT, UDFA and rookie Howard backing up the 3 interior OL positions, and Ed Wang who is returning from thumb surgery last month. Yeah, I'd say they're going to make some moves. If they don't add a veteran G and OT, it's negligence on their part. That is, if there's anything worthwhile available.

Out of 8 OL on the roster as of today, 3 have had a major surgery in the past 9 months. Maybe once and for all people will realize building a backfield without an OL in front of it is recipe for disaster. But hey, it sells tickets!

Great post Bills vet. I couldn't have said it any more clearly. I would venture to say they already have been neglectful regarding this issue. Yet, the people here tell me Rome wasn't built in one day, we chose to fill other needs first, Spiller doesn't need a great OL due to his speed, Chan will develop a quick 3 step passing game, the Ol isn't that bad, Chan will be innovative and over the OLs shortcomings, etc... There is a kernel of truth in those statements. IMHO our OL will be one of the biggest reasons for the lack of success this season.

Link

Jean-Gilles, who started six games last season, is now an unrestricted free agent, but Roseman said the Eagles plan to sign him Sunday. Because he's a vested veteran, Jean-Gilles isn't subject to the NFL's waiver-claim procedure, Roseman said.

It sounds to me like he wants to stay in Philly and unless some team offers him an ungodly contract he'll probably stay. If he was a LT I'd be more interested. JMO

Cordaro Howard is the only interior backup I see on the depth chart. That's living very dangerously, IMO...

I noticed that too and am curious if something is going to be done about that with the cuts. I hope so. IIRC, most of the prior HCs kept 10 OL each year.

If they manage to get Gilles they could move Levitre out to RT.

Max is going nowhere

'Eagles general manager Howie Roseman told reporters this evening that the Birds' trade with Seattle, which sent Stacy Andrews to the Seahawks for an undisclosed (not real high) draft pick, wasn't officially completed until 6:03, three minutes past the NFL roster deadline. So, Roseman said, the team had to cut guard Max Jean-Gilles, with the intention of bringing him back Sunday if he doesn't sign elsewhere. Roseman indicated he thinks Jean-Gilles will choose to stay where he has played since 2006. Jean-Gilles' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, confirmed that his client will re-sign with the Birds Sunday morning.

"Rules are rules," said Roseman, who said the trade actually was done by 6 p.m., but hadn't been filed with the league by then.'

LES BOWEN AND THE DAILY NEWS STAFF

We are perilously thin all along the line. Why are some making this out to be an either/or? The FO should bring in another interior swingman and an OT reserve. What happens when Bell and Wood have to come out at the same time? There's a goose egg at backup at that point. ANYBODY else gets hurt at that point and there's no one to plug the hole. Nobody.

If we sign a new tackle, who else gets cut??? Who gets cut when Nelson comes off suspension?? There seem to be a lot of positions that are depending on rookies including undrafted rookies for backup.

Overall I would say the O-line looks kinda weak overall. Good points about recency of surgeries and lack of depth and experience. Here's hoping we are looking at "good enough".

I have to agree here. We have 0% talent at tackle.