I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE SPILLER PICK!!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills had/have many flaws... the greatest weakness in my view was the complete lack of offense. I wanted a playmaker, some excitement, a semblence of entertainment.

I loved the pick.

Contrary to many I believe this WAS a need pick.

A badly needed pick.

This may be an oversimplification, but the object of the game is to outscore your opponent. What does Spiller do? He scores -- like nobody else on the Buffalo roster.

After watching Chad Simpson and Arthur Anderson (who?) I thinhk you were right originally. Never take a running back in the first round.

AS exciting as Spiller is, he has to learn to cut into the middle of the field where the spaces are wide open. Watch the 20 yard screen. If he cuts it into the middle, it's a TD.

Also hasn't shown cutback ability that the great ones have. If he doesn't Defenses will just run to the sideline to get him.

Not ready to print his Pro Bowl ticket yet. Room for improvement.

I didn't like the pick then ... and I don't like the pick now.

Don't take this wrong ... I absolutly love the player ... but that pick for this team at this time is bad.

It's bad for the fact that the Bills didn't seem to have a "plan" ... the pick was purly a luxury pick when we needed a "foundational" pick.

If let's say the Bills were on the verge of pulling the trigger on a trade for one of our starting RBs (either one, Lynch or Jackson) for an extra pick or two .... then yeah it would have been a GREAT pick. But what we did was add a running back into an already talented full backfield of a team devoid of talent in a number of areas .... did we need linemen (on both sides of the ball)? heck yeah ... did we need linebackers? heck yeah ... did we need wide recievers? heck yeah ... did we need a Tight End? heck yeah.

I understand all the hype of C.J. being a "home run hitter", but this team needs more guys capable of hitting singles before we worry about the home runs.

That being said ... he is a fun player to watch ... and he's much MUCH more fun to watch in our uniform than he would be in a Pats*, Jets, or Dolphins uni.

So because Spiller has looked good in preseason AND because none of the QBs or Left tackles drafted 4 months ago have done anthing yet, the Bills were right in drafting Spiller? This is funny.

Spiller might be an exciting player, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was the right pick. I am not saying he wasn't the BPA on the board, I just think that other options could and should have been explored. Maybe the were, but it appears to me that the Bills identified Spiller as their guy early on and jumped on him at 9. I personally would have rather seen them find a way to address some of the other areas of weakness on the team (OL, QB, LB, DL, WR) rather than adding another running back to the group we already had. RB was one of the clear strengths on the team and did not need to be added to. Again, I am not arguing that Spiller is a dynamic talent, I just think it was a luxury pick.

Just my opinion.

Other options? What about better coaching? It seems people want a roster full of All pros and that is simply not possible. You need solid players, which we have and they needed better systems and coaches.

After watching Chad Simpson and Arthur Anderson (who?) I thinhk you were right originally. Never take a running back in the first round.

AS exciting as Spiller is, he has to learn to cut into the middle of the field where the spaces are wide open. Watch the 20 yard screen. If he cuts it into the middle, it's a TD.

Also hasn't shown cutback ability that the great ones have. If he doesn't Defenses will just run to the sideline to get him.

except that its football 101 to "bounce it to the outside". that is really where all the room is. defenses WANT to push guys back inside to where all the bodies are. this, IMO, has been the biggest knock on most of our past RBs, they would never bust it outside for the big gains. we finally have someone who knows how to get to the sideline, cause once you break outside containment, it's nothing more than a simple foot race, and i'll take Spiller in that race every time.

maybe the space is in the middle on a few particular plays, but the general rule is: if you have speed, get outside.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Don't take this wrong ... I absolutly love the player ... but that pick for this team at this time is bad.

It's bad for the fact that the Bills didn't seem to have a "plan" ... the pick was purly a luxury pick when we needed a "foundational" pick.

If let's say the Bills were on the verge of pulling the trigger on a trade for one of our starting RBs (either one, Lynch or Jackson) for an extra pick or two .... then yeah it would have been a GREAT pick. But what we did was add a running back into an already talented full backfield of a team devoid of talent in a number of areas .... did we need linemen (on both sides of the ball)? heck yeah ... did we need linebackers? heck yeah ... did we need wide recievers? heck yeah ... did we need a Tight End? heck yeah.

I understand all the hype of C.J. being a "home run hitter", but this team needs more guys capable of hitting singles before we worry about the home runs.

That being said ... he is a fun player to watch ... and he's much MUCH more fun to watch in our uniform than he would be in a Pats*, Jets, or Dolphins uni.

While I respect your right to post an opinion...wow. I think you're just dead wrong. Despite what some folks would like to have you believe, the difference in overall talent among the 32 teams is not that great. It comes down to coaching, injuries, and BIG PLAYS.

A home run hitter is EXACTLY what the Buffalo Bills needed.

again, disagree on that bolded part. when you look at the draft as a whole, not just from the perspective of the first half-hour of the draft, it's seems pretty obvious we had a plan. the FO identified our areas of need, AND evaluated the talent in the draft. in the first round, with a top 10 pick, you need a player who will make a top-10 impact. the idea of drafting the 4 best OT, or a LB who isnt going to fit our system, or a WR who will take 3 years to develop is ridiculous when you have a team SO DEVOID of top tier talent.

as previously mentioned, besides the positional needs, the one thing this team lacked at any/all positions was a game changing playmaker. And we went out and got one who will have an immediate impact on our pitiful offense.

Spiller has 3 TDs while playing with starters, against starters. It's perfectly reasonable to assume, barring injury, that he will finish the season with more than 3 TDs. to give it some perspective, Jackson scored 2 TDs TOTAL last season. we were not as set at RB as we all liked to think.

and remember, we did take 2 DLs, a WR, an OT, and a LB following that pick.

My name is John Cocktosten and I was wrong about the CJ Spiller pick. It's not that I didn't like him as a player, I've said that I think he was the most exciting player in the draft. It was selecting a RB that bothered me (my rationale below). But after watching the Bengals game, I am here to say that I was completely wrong. He is Marshall Faulk/Gale Sayers, he's special beyond special and if he stays healthy, he will retire one of the great ones. So here's to Buddy Nix, your first pick as a Bills GM was BRILLIANT. May there be many more! :beer:

I'll drink to that! ( John, that was really cool. I take back some of those thoughts I had about you that involved your last name! ;) ) ....wait, that doesn't sound quite right. Ah, you guys know what I mean....right? :ph34r:

There's no need to yell. :beer:

lmao

That being said ... he is a fun player to watch ... and he's much MUCH more fun to watch in our uniform than he would be in a Pats*, Jets, or Dolphins uni

Well, if we are building this team up the right way, can't Spiller be the start of the foundation? Yea we had other needs. still do. now we're all set at rb. next year we do bpa again and maybe we get our lt, maybe we get an end or linebacker. But if we keep doing this we will be built the right way and for the long hall. there's no rule that says the foundation you build has to start with a left tackle, especially when there wasn't one we really liked at #9. and same goes for the other positions of need,..er, foundation, as you said. I had no problem with this pick at all.

HUH!?!?! Guessing from your avatar, I'm going to assume that you've been ripping a ton of bong hits during the preseason!

That is what has made him so special in my eyes. His cutbacks and vision have been off the charts. The Colts game, there was a guy in the backfield before he took the handoff and he made two amazing cutbacks.

The only ding that he gets is his pass blocking was pretty bad during the Bengals game but I don't see him staying into block. I think the Bills are going to get Fjax and Marshawn on the field with him a ton.

Hell, I say leave Trent on the bench and run Georgia Tech's flexbone! I'm calling it now!

1] I thought that the first time I saw it that he should have cut to the middle but when I watched it again, I thought there wasn't much chance of it because the defender was right in front of him. Unless you meant immediately and that would have been dumb, IMO, as well as no way of knowing it would be a TD. In fact, there was a Bengal waiting right in the middle of the field that would have had a clear shot at him.

2] Have you been watching these plays? Both of his longer TDs were incredible cutback runs. He's had a number of them already. That's the best thing he does, because he can accelerate so fast on the cut.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

My name is John Cocktosten and I was wrong about the CJ Spiller pick. It's not that I didn't like him as a player, I've said that I think he was the most exciting player in the draft. It was selecting a RB that bothered me (my rationale below). But after watching the Bengals game, I am here to say that I was completely wrong. He is Marshall Faulk/Gale Sayers, he's special beyond special and if he stays healthy, he will retire one of the great ones. So here's to Buddy Nix, your first pick as a Bills GM was BRILLIANT. May there be many more! :beer:

Here is some perspective: He hasn't played a regular season NFL game yet and you have declared the debate over. Perfect.

Well, if we are building this team up the right way, can't Spiller be the start of the foundation? Yea we had other needs. still do. now we're all set at rb. next year we do bpa again and maybe we get our lt, maybe we get an end or linebacker. But if we keep doing this we will be built the right way and for the long hall. there's no rule that says the foundation you build has to start with a left tackle, especially when there wasn't one we really liked at #9. and same goes for the other positions of need,..er, foundation, as you said. I had no problem with this pick at all.

I see your point ... I guess my main problem with the pick is that a RB has such a short career on average, I'd hate to see C.J. burned out and done before we get a line to block for him. I just have these reoccuring nightmares of him dancing around in the backfield as the entire defense pours in through our line.

I know ... I know ... I gotta believe .... I gotta believe ... I gotta believe

you must have missed the point of my message that the draft was 4 months ago. Not one regular season game has been played. It's far too early to make a determination on any of them. I completely understand the excitement about Spiller. I think he is going to be good. I just would have preferred the Bills to add players at areas of weakness with our #1 pick rather than adding another RB.

Just a difference of opinion.

All we can do is compare Spiller to players could have taken, but didn't. Had they reached for a QB, LT, or LB, most people here wouldn't be too happy right now.

Simpson and Anderson never played against 1st stringers (I don't even think they played against 2nd stringers). And in a similar vein, I was disappointed with Joique Bell's performance after 2 excellent pre-season games. Spiller can cut on a dime and leave defenders in the dust.

Here is some perspective: He hasn't played a regular season NFL game yet and you have declared the debate over. Perfect.

There are few on this board as cynical as I am. I have been very critical of Buddy's draft and the whole rebuilding process, Trent, Lil Donte, Maybin and the list goes on. But it doesn't take a seasoned scout to see that Spiller is a rare breed.

I've watched him play for 4 years in college and do the exact same thing that he's doing now. He played on mediocre Clemson teams yet was always head and shoulders above everyone and elevated his team by himself. To see what he's done the last couple of weeks to 2 really good defenses has been more than impressive.

Here is some perspective, lighten up and be happy that the Bills FINALLY have at least one true star on their roster. It's only been 20 years!

A young Qbs best friend is a strong Rb that doubles as an outlet receiver. CJ is the foundation of what this team will be built upon. Whoever we take next yr will have a built in safety valve that will make it easier. CJ was the right pick, we will see that soon enough.

I'm sure Buddy will sleep well tonight knowing you were wrong.

B-)