This is a trade rumor I would like

Peter

Was just about to post the same thing Peter. I'm not usually one of the slobbering "Git Er Done" crowd, but this is a trade that really, really should be made. He's young, healthy, and dynamic. The Bills really could use someone like that to move linebackers around and open up routes over the top. Gailey would know just what to do with him. He's definitely worth a 3rd round pick. Unfortunately, I doubt the Bills pull the trigger.

I totally agree with your comments. He would really help out the offense. Sadly, I think that you are probably right that the Bills will not pull the trigger. If they did, the Bills would have the best weapon we have had at the TE position in many years. You also are right that Chan would know how to use him.

Was just about to post the same thing Peter. I'm not usually one of the slobbering "Git Er Done" crowd, but this is a trade that really, really should be made. He's young, healthy, and dynamic. The Bills really could use someone like that to move linebackers around and open up routes over the top. Gailey would know just what to do with him. He's definitely worth a 3rd round pick. Unfortunately, I doubt the Bills pull the trigger.

Edited by Peter

Honestly, from a pure potential standpoint there's no doubt that it's Nelson > Olsen. Now Olsen is a more well-rounded TE with his ability to block, but from a production standpoint I honestly think that Nelson has a chance to be a top-tier player at his position. I've scouted a lot of TE's over the past decade or so and I've rarely seen one with the athletic prowess that Nelson brings to the table.

If the Bills traded for Olsen he would certainly be our best TE, that includes when Nelson returns back from his suspension. Should the Bills trade for him? No. At least not for a third round draft pick. It is time now for the Bills to draft their own players, develop them and then keep them when their first contract expires.

Stupar is a functional TE. He reminds me a lot of Brad Cielek, who left the Bills and became very productive with the Eagles. Being a mid-level and underneath receiver with good hands could be very useful in our offense, especially since TE is very comfortable with the underneath passes. Nelson is much more athletic than Stupar and has more ability to stretch the field. When all is said and done Stupar, the less athletic TE, is probably going to be more productive than Nelson.

If the Bills make any trades it should be for OTs. Maybe in the not too distant future one of our backs (not Spiller) could be traded for a competent OT. The thought that the Bills picked up Cornell Green to be their starting RT never made sense to me.

If the Bills traded for Olsen he would certainly be our best TE, that includes when Nelson returns back from his suspension. Should the Bills trade for him? No. At least not for a third round draft pick. It is time now for the Bills to draft their own players, develop them and then keep them when their first contract expires.

Stupar is a functional TE. He reminds me a lot of Brad Cielek, who left the Bills and became very productive with the Eagles. Being a mid-level and underneath receiver with good hands could be very useful in our offense, especially since TE is very comfortable with the underneath passes. Nelson is much more athletic than Stupar and has more ability to stretch the field. When all is said and done Stupar, the less athletic TE, is probably going to be more productive than Nelson.

If the Bills make any trades it should be for OTs. Maybe in the not too distant future one of our backs (not Spiller) could be traded for a competent OT. The thought that the Bills picked up Cornell Green to be their starting RT never made sense to me.

Brent Celek of the Eagles was drafted by the Eagles in 2007. He was never a Bill.

Brent Celek of the Eagles was drafted by the Eagles in 2007. He was never a Bill.

You are thinking of Brad Cieslak who played for a few years, went to the Browns and then out of the league since 2008.

Honestly, from a pure potential standpoint there's no doubt that it's Nelson > Olsen. Now Olsen is a more well-rounded TE with his ability to block, but from a production standpoint I honestly think that Nelson has a chance to be a top-tier player at his position. I've scouted a lot of TE's over the past decade or so and I've rarely seen one with the athletic prowess that Nelson brings to the table.

The other problem with nelson is that, he is suspended for four games to begin with.

Two things:

1. Really? Cool.. Who can you compare him to, in regards to who else you've scouted?

2. You joined this morning, and have posted 31 times already? Kudos..

You are thinking of Brad Cieslak who played for a few years, went to the Browns and then out of the league since 2008.

I stand corrected. Thank you for the correction. I thought he was another one of those players such as Pat Williams, London Fletcher etc who left us for a productive career elsewhere.

I made a similar mistake when I thought our former OG Reggie McKensie went to the Packers and did an outstanding job in their personnel dept. It was another McKensie who was a former LB for them.

I think olsen would be a great fit. His blocking is underrated and he is a huge redzone threat. I would take him for a 4th round pick. Maybe a 3rd.

I like Olsen too. I would give up a #4 for him, but that is it. He's a little too much like Nelson, although much better at this point in their careers. Still, he would be a huge upgrade.

The Cards are now shopping Reggie Wells, a starting guard. They signed two free agents in the off season, and Wells is getting pushed for his starting job by a fourth OG. We really need some veteran back-ups. If the Cards get rid of Leinart, which seems like a certainty at this point. I would not at all mind trading Fitz, someone they could use, for Wells who is on their trading block. That would solve two of our problems, unless Brohm stinks up the joint on Thursday.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2010/09/01/20100901arizona-cardinals-open-trading-matt-leinart-reggie-wells.html

I just dont get the logic with trading draft picks. How is Olsen not worth a third? Go back to 2004 and look at the Bills 3rd rpund picks.

*Tim Anderson - Never more than an overlooked role player while with the Bills.

*Kevin Everett - Injured/retired but even when he was on the team he never looked like a starter.

*Ashton Youboty - CB who is currently behind McGee/McKelvin/Florence/Corner. Also G. Wilson/Scott come on the field as a third safety before Youboty.

*Trent Edwards - Currently starting QB in a make or break year. Easily could have been replaced as the starter by now.

*Chris Ellis - A back up that may have finally broken into the line up

*Traded away in the move up that netted us Levitre

Ok so of the last 5 3rd round picks that resulted in players (not counting the Levitre trade up) we have 1 and a half starters in Edwards and (maybe) Ellis. Ellis has never really played before this season (we hope he plays this season) Edwards could have easily played his way off the team by now but has looked good this pre season.

But again, how is a starting, quality TE, who this team desperatly needs, not worth a 3rd round pick? He is absolutely worth a 3rd. Just compare who you could have, and who Olsen is. Its worth the investment for immediate starting production.

This makes too much sense for it to happen...

It's exactly what I was thinking. He actually fits into the rebuilding mode we are in being young, and Chan's offense, being a relatively good blocker. A 4th round pick would be perfect, but just like we are with Marshawn (who I like and want to keep) , it'a a bitter pill to swallow if you don't get much back on your 1st round investment.

I just dont get the logic with trading draft picks. How is Olsen not worth a third? Go back to 2004 and look at the Bills 3rd rpund picks.

*Tim Anderson - Never more than an overlooked role player while with the Bills.

*Kevin Everett - Injured/retired but even when he was on the team he never looked like a starter.

*Ashton Youboty - CB who is currently behind McGee/McKelvin/Florence/Corner. Also G. Wilson/Scott come on the field as a third safety before Youboty.

*Trent Edwards - Currently starting QB in a make or break year. Easily could have been replaced as the starter by now.

*Chris Ellis - A back up that may have finally broken into the line up

*Traded away in the move up that netted us Levitre

Ok so of the last 5 3rd round picks that resulted in players (not counting the Levitre trade up) we have 1 and a half starters in Edwards and (maybe) Ellis. Ellis has never really played before this season (we hope he plays this season) Edwards could have easily played his way off the team by now but has looked good this pre season.

But again, how is a starting, quality TE, who this team desperatly needs, not worth a 3rd round pick? He is absolutely worth a 3rd. Just compare who you could have, and who Olsen is. Its worth the investment for immediate starting production.

That's good research and a good point. But each guy (GM) thinks he's smarter than the next. Sucks.

I am not FOR this way of thinking, but this is how the Bills think probably....Having a 3rd round draft pick for the next four years cost the team ~2-3M dollars for the 4 years, whereas getting Olsen means giving him a big contract in the next 2-3 years that would cost the team 20-30M dollars. That is a 10X cost for the team to put on a 3rd round pick.

The bills are going into the philosophy of drafting well and taking care of their OWN players. That is why the 3rd round pick for him does not make sense.

Should the Bills do the trade...Absolutely...Olsen is a playmaker. Will the Bills do it ? Absolutely Not.