Edwards Looks like A Different Man

tonyd19

Edwards has always had a stupidly quick release, he doesn't look any different to me on that front...

But... his pocket presence and confidence *do* look improved.

I was against him sticking around but I totally agree -the release doesn't look different but he's feet do- classic step and deliver and most importantly he seems to get you don't get to hold it for ten seconds waiting for someone to get REALLY open.

Still stares down receivers, still can't make a play in the run, still needs to show more leadership....but one cookie two cookie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the o-line was a shambles last year, that was the main reason he looked so bad, it has been good this year, so thats the reason he looks good, hopofully the game has slowed down for him now that he has seen it for a while,we shall see. Let's hope for the best, since we've had to deal with the rest for the last 10 years, either we have patience or we become patients. :D

This board continues to amaze me. The guy had ONE decent game and now "hes a different man" and you're "very confident with him as our starter." Why do you guys do this to yourselves? STOP GETTING YOUR HOPES UP. Reality: Trent is an average QB with the ability to be very subpar on any given Sunday. Our defense is going to struggle mightily as it is apparent we don't have the personnel for the 3-4. Our o tackles are no better than the previous two years. Wake up, you guys are acting like a bunch of children.

Since when did a little optimism and wishful thinking hurt? I hope people are right about Trent. As hard as it may be for some to accept, late blooming is a real phenomenon. :worthy:

Hey just some random thoughts after watching the first three pre-season games. It looks to me like Trent is an entirely different QB. He has a certain swagger about him, he is smiling and it looks like he actually enjoys playing again. I am very confident that he will have a good season. The only thing I can say that is negaitve about him is the last couple of games it looks like he tries to release his passes so quickly, that he is losing some velocity on routes. This might be bad when it's only starting defensive backs in the game, as they can recover quicker than 2nd or 3rd stringers and may lead to some picks. Other than that, I think he looks really strong. After watching Buffalo this pre season, I fully expect them to be very competitive this season. You can see the whole team just looks different, like they expect to win.

Don't you know people around here don't like the word "swagger"?? :w00t:

Trent is starting to look different. We can only hope it continues.

a) he does look dramatically better. stats can lie but stats back it up and he has passed the eyeball test with flying colors esp last game

3) aside from last season trent always looked great in preseason so forgive me if i hold my breath cross my fingers and shove a four leaf clover up my butt anyway

pi) if theres one thing thats giving me hope its read progressions. hes made it through the routes to seconds thirds and fourths without immediately going checkdown

rho) hes also doing better at looking off receivers but not as much as id like. he still locks on too much and im worried that will get exploited once the season starts, but hes at least shortening up the amount of time he looks at one guy most of the time

so there are real signs the light is finally going on for him but ive seen this kind of thing before in him and others so we just have to wait for a few games to see if its an illusion or not

#3 is too much information. ....just curious, does it work for you?

This board continues to amaze me. The guy had ONE decent game and now "hes a different man" and you're "very confident with him as our starter." Why do you guys do this to yourselves? STOP GETTING YOUR HOPES UP. Reality: Trent is an average QB with the ability to be very subpar on any given Sunday. Our defense is going to struggle mightily as it is apparent we don't have the personnel for the 3-4. Our o tackles are no better than the previous two years. Wake up, you guys are acting like a bunch of children.

Who the hell are you to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do? I'll get my hopes up if I want to. It's posts like these that drive people away from here.

Hey just some random thoughts after watching the first three pre-season games. It looks to me like Trent is an entirely different QB. He has a certain swagger about him, he is smiling and it looks like he actually enjoys playing again. I am very confident that he will have a good season. The only thing I can say that is negaitve about him is the last couple of games it looks like he tries to release his passes so quickly, that he is losing some velocity on routes. This might be bad when it's only starting defensive backs in the game, as they can recover quicker than 2nd or 3rd stringers and may lead to some picks. Other than that, I think he looks really strong. After watching Buffalo this pre season, I fully expect them to be very competitive this season. You can see the whole team just looks different, like they expect to win.

That is my signature from Gailey in his first press conference. He expects to win and he has taught our players to do the same. So refreshing and encouraging to see

The issue with Trent isn't ability or physical tools. He can make all the throws, he's intelligent enough to win in this league as he's proven. The problem has been the dude is made of glass.

You can't be a franchise QB when you're not on the field for 16 games. That's the question that he still has yet to answer. Can he stay healthy.

We'll find out ...

1) Good point on his release. It seems like he is employing at times an earlier release point, and not following through on his throws. I don't know if that is intentional or due to the fact that Cornell Green is allowing all defenders immediate and unfettered access to Edwards' face.

2) I will say that the play against the Bengals, where Edwards stepped up in the pocket and hit Parrish on a deep cross near the sidelines, was one of the best throws I've seen him make.

Good observations. Green has been a turnstile to date. Hard not to see why Oakland let him go.

As for Edwards, his finally stepping into some throws is a very good sign. One, that takes a bit of confidence that he's not going to get his head ripped off, and that understands it's importance whether he's going to take a hit or not.

Yet, his throwing motion just seems wrong to me. It looks at times as if he's simply pushing the ball rather than letting it rip.

This is my read on things.

When Trent got sacked during the first Indy series, it looked like the offense had that "Uh-oh, not this again" look on their face. But since that bomb to Lee Evans, the whole tenor of the offense has changed with regards to swagger and attitude. CJ has helped too.

I hope Trent has a breakout year, I really do, but I also kind of doubt that it will happen. Gailey isn't enamored with Edwards. He has a mediocre group of QB's to choose from and seems to have selected Edwards although he has yet to fully commit to that. I think if he really thought Trent was "the man" he would have officially named him the starter by now. He has not. He's still leaving the door open for Trent to lose the job or have it taken away although I doubt it will happen at this point. To me this doesn't show an overwhelming amount of confidence from the coach. as far as his on field skills, he missed reads all the time last year, left receivers wide open while forcing the ball into an underneath route. He also has a bad habit of telegraphing his throws (like the horrible INT in the first preseason game). I think his quick throwing motion that results in weaker throws is the result of coaches telling him he needs to get the ball out faster. His best throws are not the ones where he tries to get the ball out quickly. Hopefully the line will give him enough time to make plays this year.

Well he is the key to out team this year so I hope he does well. I hope he proves all his haters wrong but only time will tell( I am a hater him because he has not proved anything). Lets hope he got his confidence back and lead this team to a wildcard spot. I really hope the bill prove all their haters wrong it will make watching ESPN and NFL NETWORK so much more enjoyable when they are forced to say the bills are actually a good team.

Hard to prove anything when you had a jackass head coach, no offensive coordiator, and an O-line that consisted of mostly 3rd string or practice squad players on other teams.

i'm so sick and tired of this excuse. if he was so 'tentative and worse', then how do you explain him having his career-best game against san diego the next time he played after the concussion?

He was still in "the haze" phase.

Once he started thinking clearly again, it was all downhill.

the o-line was a shambles last year, that was the main reason he looked so bad, it has been good this year, so thats the reason he looks good, hopofully the game has slowed down for him now that he has seen it for a while,we shall see. Let's hope for the best, since we've had to deal with the rest for the last 10 years, either we have patience or we become patients. :D

And add to the above that barring injuries the OL will improve!

And you know this how?? I'm not saying he is going to be great, but also can't say that what we've seen this year isnt a much better player. He also has had terrible coaching in the past. That in itself can make a difference. There has been many QB's who've struggled for a number of years before finally "getting it". Vinny T comes ot mind, not that he ever became great, but was much better in latter years.

As far as the line goes, a soldi interior line can hide weak tackles to some degree. You also have a guy who has one more year under his belt in Bell. Green and/or Meredith on other side may be better than last year. Assuming he stays healthy, he may be fine. Very few if any teams have or can afford to have five all-pro's. A couple of good players can hide the weak spots. If the five starters can stay reasonably healthly this season, ( all five are still active Jan 1, 2011) I think they will be fine. Overall interior play above average, tackle play OK.

Reality: Trent is an average QB with the ability to be very subpar on any given Sunday.

Wake up, you guys are acting like a bunch of children.

As it is a team sport, it seems too small a theory to ever focus on just one player. The offense has committed fewer penalties. It has shown a nice balance between the run and the pass. The new coach seems to have an idea of how to out smart the opposition. Offensive coordinators in the last three years seem to have passed out the playbook to the opposition and all of the fans before the game. This year's first round draft choice has shown he can put points on the board running the ball and he is not too shabby trying to block monster-sized blitzing line backers. The ball is being caught by a range of recievers. The special teams have not looked very good in preseason. The defense is about as porous as last year against the run and not as good against the pass. The punter and kicker are still pretty good. Serious injuries seem to be decreased and the first team has scored touchdowns against others' first team. I have no idea how the other teams are doing tooling up for the season, but I would not be surprised to find this year's edition of the Bills more interesting and maybe even exciting to watch.

3) aside from last season trent always looked great in preseason so forgive me if i hold my breath cross my fingers and shove a four leaf clover up my butt anyway

And aside from last season, he went on to play pretty well in the regular season.

Last year he struggled in pre-season, and went on to a mediocre 73.8 rating.

The year before that, according to you, he looked great in preseason, and he looked really good in the regular season finishing with an 85.4 rating which is not shabby for a 2nd year player - even though he did struggle a lot after having his brains scrambled in Arizona.

The season before that, he was down at 70.4 for the year - no idea how he was in preseason.

I don't know how he or the rest of the team will ultimately do - I do know that there is a lot in what we have seen in the performance of the #1 offense that is dramatically better than we have seen in years, and there's good reason to believe that will carry over to the regular season.

Preseason final scores are a meaningless joke. Preseason performances by the #1's against other #1's are actually a really good indicator.

The only positions that have me worried on this team are the LB's as a whole, and ORT where Green has not looked too good.

Edited by BobChalmers

That is my signature from Gailey in his first press conference. He expects to win and he has taught our players to do the same. So refreshing and encouraging to see

I can tell you that more than 50% of any sport at the profesional level is mental. Most of the guys at this level are fairly comperable when it comes to strength and speed. The winners win becasue they can execute and have enough confidence to slow things down, execute and process information quickly when it matters. I believe the Bills have the talent, and I think Gailey has done a great job on the mental toughness and confidence issues by bringing in the proper strucutre and mentality to this team. Seriously, they can be a playoff team, they have the talent....They just need something to put it all together.

If you look at most of the completed passes they are out of the QB's hand within 3 seconds, which is dramatically different from last years AVP offense and Turks the year before. All the QB's seem to be snapping the ball out faster.

Gailey has found a way to get Roscoe the ball, something Bills fans have been dreaming about since he was drafted, he has also found a way to get the other receivers open.

So far the quick passes have worked very well along with the running game, Spiller has proven to be a big play threat, and if the offense can keep this up they should win some games. Gotta love the "wildcat" play ...

However it remains to be seen if this offense can make a 3rd and long against a team with a decent pass rush when the game is on the line in the 4th QTR.