Oh no...possible explanation for Edwards struggles against the Redskin

Big Turk

I am not sure I necessarily buy that. He has 8 OC's in 9 years dating back to college. Could you imagine learning a language for an entire year, then at the end of the year, you have to learn an entirely new language to communicate at all? Is it partially on him? Of course. However, I believe he was put in a horrible situation with OC's that were abysmal. So part of it, I believe is that he has tried to do something different every year and has never gotten comfortable doing the same thing.

Remember, its not just the routes and terminologies that change when a new coach comes in. His whole philosophy on what to look for, reads, progressions, when he wants certain things done, etc all change as well. Edwards head must be swimming with all the changes he has had to learn. I think being in 1 system for multiple years could provide much better results than most people think. Don't forget Gailey made Mike Tomczak, Jay Fiedler, and Kordell Stewart into viable QB's. Edwards clearly has more natural physical abilities at QB than any of those 3 ever had. Not saying I am expecting him to be a pro bowler or anything, but I think given an opportunity to not learn something all over again year after year, Edwards will be better than most think.

all of this is very true. buffalo has been a qb graveyard these past few years. of course, that doesn't mean we ride this pony until it's dead if it doesn't work out, but let Chan make the call and see where we end up. and while the initial poster referenced the defensive alignments, it was also the first pre-season game. they seem to have improved offensively each game from a timing and flow perspective, which seems to be the whole point. at a minimum, the first game is NOT a road game against one of the dominant teams of the past decade days after the OC was fired and the line blown up.

Aaron Rodgers and Ben Rothlesberger seem to do just fine, since they were the two most sacked QBs in the NFL and were among the highest rated passers too. Good QBs make plays, period.

Yeah we have the same set of WRs as Rodgers does as well. Plus the fact that Rodgers holds the ball and scrambles a hell of alot longer.

Since it seems to be the consensus and well established that the Bills particularily T. Edwards struggles against the 3-4 defense, I would like to know if anyone knows which teams play the 3-4 on our schedule. I am pretty sure all the divison opponents do and if that's the case we may be in trouble in that corner. So who else plays the 3-4 on our 2010 schedule?

Miami Dolphins Week 1 & 15

Green Bay Packers Week 2

New England Patriots Week 3 & 16

New York Jets Week 4 & 17

Baltimore Ravens Week 7

Pittsburgh Steelers Week 12

Cleveland Browns Week 14

So 10 out of 16 games are against 3-4 defenses

Edited by benderbender

I was just about to post this. NO one has mentioned both wins were against 4-3s... we all should have been quick to notice - trent owns the 4-3. Yet- we got pummeled by a team that is brand new to a 3-4. this doesn't bod well. We can just hope that he has learned to read it as effectively by practicing against it daily. i'm not sure he has, but our division record will be a good indication. He at least played admirably in the opener to NE last year, here's hoping he can again.

all in all, though, he is a smart QB, and i'd think practicing daily against it (however bad ours is) will be enough to get him thinking/reading/reacting better to it.

ps feels good to contribute after a 3 month deployment. Go bills from Okinawa!!!

Aaron Rodgers and Ben Rothlesberger seem to do just fine, since they were the two most sacked QBs in the NFL and were among the highest rated passers too. Good QBs make plays, period.

Rothlesberger gets sacked because of Rothlesberger.

Rodgers accrued all those sacks in the first half of the season last year. Once his top Ts were back I believe he was sacked only 10 times in the second half of the year (+/- a game or two.)

Those are two of the best QBs in the League. We all know that TE isn't on that same level. Relax, it was game preseason game 1.

Jeezus.

Rothlesberger gets sacked because of Rothlesberger.

Rodgers accrued all those sacks in the first half of the season last year. Once his top Ts were back I believe he was sacked only 10 times in the second half of the year (+/- a game or two.)

Huh??? That's a unique point of view.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Doesn't anyone remember Meredeth started at LT, Cordero at RG and Chambers at RT.. I think that explains quite a bit.

I have been very unimpressed with TE previously, but gave him a pass against Washington because of the poor line play. That being said, I am going to expect him to contunue to elevate his game on Sept 12th, against the Dolphins. I'm hoping the addition of Spiller to the back field will create more space for Edwards execute.

I just realized that both of Edwards pretty good performances the last 2 weeks came against teams running a 4-3 defense in Cincy and Indy. However, against Washington, Edwards struggled mightily, and guess what defense they play? A 3-4.

I am really hoping Gailey can teach Edwards what to look for against a 3-4 because otherwise we are in for a loooong season again with Edwards looking good against 4-3 teams and horrible against 3-4 teams...

The Redskins also present one of the best front-7's in the league, while the Bills present one of the worst OL's in the league.

The most successful QB in the last several years (Tom Brady) looked pretty ordinary (if not down right horrible) against the Ravens at home in the playoffs this past season when he was running for his life. Just to refresh your recollection, he had a 49.1 QB rating. To correct what you said, good QBs make plays when they are given an opportunity to do so, period.

While I'm no fan of the Ravens, it sure was sweet to watch Brady under perform against them in last years playoffs.