Clayton ranks Edwards 31 of 33

Coach55

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview10/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5489176

I am so hoping he plays up to his potential so we can shove it up Clayton's @#!. Edwards has had a rough start to a career, but if he keeps playing like he has the past two pre-season games, he could end up having a really good year. I love it that everyone is picking us to suck. It will give us die hard fans who believe more fuel for the fire when they roll into the playoffs.

In my best Jim Mora voice,

"PLAYOFFS!!!! PLAYOFFS!!!! DON'T TALK ABOUT.....PLAYOFFS"

Hey Coach 55, I hope you're right.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, how many 300 yrd passing games has Edwards had???? Just because you string together a good preseason, doesn't mean that will translate into regular season. The guy is injury and sack prone behind a bad OL. John Clayton Dead ON!!!!!

There's a lot to this list I don't like. Jason Campbell and Matt Cassell ahead of Byron Leftwich? Don't think so. Cassell should be last on this list. Edwards may not be too much higher than Clayton has him slated, but I don't see him being way down at 31. For the time being at least, he should certainly be ahead of Kevin Kolb who still hasn't played enough to give a thumbs up or down.

There's a lot to this list I don't like. Jason Campbell and Matt Cassell ahead of Byron Leftwich? Don't think so. Cassell should be last on this list. Edwards may not be too much higher than Clayton has him slated, but I don't see him being way down at 31. For the time being at least, he should certainly be ahead of Kevin Kolb who still hasn't played enough to give a thumbs up or down.

Dude, Byron Leftwich is a horrible QB!

I like how the Arizona QB position is ranked as a group while the Steelers QB position is ranked as two individuals. :thumbdown:

That makes sense though. Roethlisberger and Leftwich clearly belong in completely different categories. With Anderson and Leinart, I doubt very many people care either way and they're both definitely in that bottom rung.

There is no way he is better than 2 other starters.

You homers are hilarious. Take a step back and look at this team. We stink. And we don't have a starting QB on our roster.

But by all means, keep getting your panties in a bunch when a member of the media states the obvious.

Have any of you WATCHED Trent over the last few seasons?

When fans of other teams ask my about Trent Edwards I tell them that Bills fans are split. On one side, you have the fans who think Trent has shown the potential to be a solid starter in the league. On the other side, you have the fans that watch the games.

I don't really give a flying !@#$ what anybody with a baby carrot dick has to say about Edwards or the Bills.

We get no love, and we deserve no love. I have called Edwards a lot worse than #31.

I am a homer, so I think we'll be better than people think, which is what I say every year, but who cares what Clayton thinks.

The guy is not a "reporter." Reporters give facts, Clayton gives his meaningless opinion. I didn't like Clayton before he started talking about our team.

How !@#$ing fun would it be to prove all of these !@#$s wrong? I think it would be a lot of fun.

Here's to hoping we have fun this year. If we stink, I know how to do that, too. I'd rather do the former, but that is why we'll tune in at 1:00 every Sunday.

When fans of other teams ask my about Trent Edwards I tell them that Bills fans are split. On one side, you have the fans who think Trent has shown the potential to be a solid starter in the league. On the other side, you have the fans that watch the games.

Well, I was on the negative side for at least a year...but he's shown me something the past two games. I watched the Bills/Bengals game last night & Edwards looked a lot quicker than he has in the past. Quick on his feet & quicker decisions. Did anyone else notice this? Evidently Gailey has noticed. Am I ready to call him an NFL QB...no! But I'm in the other camp now...I think he's shown enough potential to be the starter right now. But it's time to prove it when real bullets are flying before I will call him an NFL QB. If Clayton is off with his ranking, it's not by much...but hey, that can all change.

I'm not going to even argue for Edwards but any list with Mark Sanchez not being dead last is a joke. Also, what has Stafford ever done? He was as bad as Sanchez. Josh Freeman, Matt Leianrt/ Derek Anderson? And save "potential." Potential just means you haven't done crap.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

That makes sense though. Roethlisberger and Leftwich clearly belong in completely different categories. With Anderson and Leinart, I doubt very many people care either way and they're both definitely in that bottom rung.

Yes, the two AZ QBs belong in the bottom bracket. But, it doesn't fit the (otherwise) individual ranking to combine them into a "What do you get when you cross a Trojan and a Beaver?" entry. Let 'em stand or fall on their own and be ranked versus the others as individuals. Or if this list is supposed to be 32 teams, then combine the Roethlisberger/Leftwich entry and toss them in the middle of the heap with an explanation that Big Ben is elite and Leftwich sucks. I just don't think it is consistent. I also suspect in the AZ case and because it is two players, Clayton gave them a bigger dose of "reasonable doubt" than the individuals. Leinart is horrible. Worse than Edwards horrible. And Anderson has done less than Delhomme and has had the same free fall type of career of late.

Yes, the two AZ QBs belong in the bottom bracket. But, it doesn't fit the (otherwise) individual ranking to combine them into a "What do you get when you cross a Trojan and a Beaver?" entry. Let 'em stand or fall on their own and be ranked versus the others as individuals. Or if this list is supposed to be 32 teams, then combine the Roethlisberger/Leftwich entry and toss them in the middle of the heap with an explanation that Big Ben is elite and Leftwich sucks. I just don't think it is consistent. I also suspect in the AZ case and because it is two players, Clayton gave them a bigger dose of "reasonable doubt" than the individuals. Leinart is horrible. Worse than Edwards horrible. And Anderson has done less than Delhomme and has had the same free fall type of career of late.

Crazy to think coming out of college that Edwards would have a better NFL career than Leinart. It's why I never got the Edwards' hate. He was a 3rd round pick. Imagine if he went #11 like Leinart.

Why are people getting their panties in a bunch over this? It looks pretty accurate to me. Does anybody here think Trent has any chance of being 'elite' at this point? Most of us would settle for 'serviceable'. I do think he put Romo far too high, E. Manning a bit too high, and Schaub way too low. I think the Leinart/Anderson combo is even a bit too high - they've been terrible this off-season, and sadly enough I actually feel better with Trent under center than those two.

I guess you can say that everyone knows that both Roethlisberger and Leftwich will start games at some point over the course of the season. The same can't be said for Leinart/Anderson. When putting the list together, that situation wasn't completely clear, so he combines them. But in the big picture, the vast majority of the readers are going to stop reading at the halfway mark, if they even make it that far. No one cares about the bottom feeders, which Arizona clearly has with either QB. Roethlisberger, being a big name that many people are looking for is going to get his own mentioning in the portion of the article that people will actually read. Drop him down half with into a combo with Leftwich and all of a sudden people never even see his name.

I could care less what Clayton's opinion is. Most of what he says is made up B.S. However, this article does seem fairly well reasoned and makes a lot of sense. That said, the players between 18 and 33 are roughly equal. You could make a case for moving certain players way up or way down. This article is one moronic person's opinion. I take it for what it is worth, really not much.

I have not been a Trent disciple and had really low expectations for him this year, but he has performed much better than I expecting in the last two preseason games, so I am starting to have a little hope that Chan might actually find a way to make a leader out of him and we might have ourselves atleast a decent starting QB for a change.

Go Trent. Go Bills.

We can all hope that Trent looks like he has in the last couple weeks in the regular season. And I truly believe he is going to. But he hasn't yet. Based on the regular season actual results, counting both stats and actual film of watching him play, there is no reason at all to think Trent Edwards is better than 31 or 30 right now. Even guys I would definitely want Trent more than, like Derek Anderson, have shown more in real games than Trent has. Even in his 5-1 start, he was only an average QB doing average things.

I think he has a darn good chance to jump 5-10 spots after a few weeks of play on that list. We'll soon find out though. Not to mention we have a brutal first four games.

We don't have the #31 QB, and even Clayton's criticisms focus on the O-Line and the non-Lee weapons. We also aren't the #31 team as some rankings have. But I have no problems starting off low in the national spotlight, and earning respect for being better than they thought. I think Trent can progress solidly into a middle of the pack QB, and would not be #31 on an end of the season ranking, but he hasn't shown anything that counts yet, and I think will have to earn any national media respect starting in a week and a half.

Starting 1-0 with a win against the Fish will certainly help get us out of the #31 talk, but what matters is the team continuing to improve, play well, and winning football games. I don't think we are very likely to make the playoffs this year, but I think we have a pretty good shot of still drawing up "scenarios" in the last month of the season ("If these four teams lose out, and these two teams tie" ;-) ), and having a fun ride. And you never know how the ball will bounce in the quick-turn-around NFL, and that is part of the fun being a fan, especially as we have a much more competent coach and a new exciting playmaker (two if you count Roscoe who was lost for a while).

Go Bills.

You had to know the second that this was posted that the slew of "Clayton stinks, he's an idiot, how does he have a job" posts would come out.

So I guess he can be added to the list of "terrible professionals that write about sports or talk on the radio or talk on the tv about sports" because he made an honest, critical and reasonable assessment of the 32 starting quarterbacks in the league.

Where are we at now?

Tim Graham

John Clayton

Jerry Sullivan

Bob Dicesare

ALL NFL Network employees

ALL ESPN employees

Colin Cowherd

Jim Rome

Mike Schopp

Chris "Bulldog" Parker

Howard Simon