Random thoughts and observations on the game

1] Penalties. Wow. The Bills made a few late in the game but at halftime with most of the regular players, I think the Bills only had one and the Bengals 8.

2] On two of the early big losses on the Spiller runs, I thought Stupar missed the block on one and Steve Johnson on the other that allowed the Bengals instantly into the backfield to disrupt the play. Then the rest of the Bengals converged. It wasn't immediately the OL fault although that was on first look and didnt get to watch it a few times to know for sure.

3] Spiller is clearly the real deal. He needs to be on the field. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Gailey is going to do with the three headed monster.

4] Damn you, Shawn Nelson. You could have been a serious threat as the #5 option if you weren't a knucklehead.

5] David Nelson should start over Stevie Styles right now. He even blocks well. Has a real feel for the game and the seams in the defense. Catches everything. Huge lanky target. Played in big games his whole college career so he is not affected by the NFL. I can't believe this guy didn't get drafted.

6] Jackson let the hard pass at the goalline go through his hands, tough catch but he needs to make it. Hardy looked awful on one crossing pattern where he flinched, and dropped another short pass that was tough but should have caught it. Got wide open and nice sideline catch for 30. Looked better running patterns. I have no idea what Gailey thinks of him, good or bad (although we know he thought Hardy sucked at first and then greatly improved). I still think we keep six WR (Evans, Parrish, Johnson, Nelson, Jackson, Hardy for the first four games (unless a good TE gets cut and we sign him). Then when Nelson comes back, we cut one of Hardy or Jackson or IR someone because of injury.

7] Defense looks terrible right now. I am just hoping, not thinking, that they will get a little better each week and when they have all their starters in. I liked what I saw of Troup. LBs were abused. Davis played well except for forgetting to cover Gresham on the TD which was brutal. McLovin despite the slip on the Ocho TD needs to start over Florence.

8} Trent looks good. Quite efficient. The coaching and play-calling makes a huge difference. Said it in another thread but it seems like an equal parts combination of about five different things: The play design is significant better. The play calling in both sequence and appropriate time is much better. The playing to a player's individual strengths is much better (see Parrish). Getting the 5 OL that will start all in at the same time has helped tremendously. And adding Spiller to the mix.

This team is a lot more fun to watch than I expected. Although I am one who puts no stock at all in pre-season. The only thing I think we know for sure is that CJ is fast, has fabulous vision, cutback ability and acceleration. He looks like a stud.

Gailey looks like a good hire right now. No doubt about it. We'll see in the games that count though.

1] Penalties. Wow. The Bills made a few late in the game but at halftime with most of the regular players, I think the Bills only had one and the Bengals 8.

2] On two of the early big losses on the Spiller runs, I thought Stupar missed the block on one and Steve Johnson on the other that allowed the Bengals instantly into the backfield to disrupt the play. Then the rest of the Bengals converged. It wasn't immediately the OL fault although that was on first look and didnt get to watch it a few times to know for sure.

3] Spiller is clearly the real deal. He needs to be on the field. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Gailey is going to do with the three headed monster.

4] Damn you, Shawn Nelson. You could have been a serious threat as the #5 option if you weren't a knucklehead.

5] David Nelson should start over Stevie Styles right now. He even blocks well. Has a real feel for the game and the seams in the defense. Catches everything. Huge lanky target. Played in big games his whole college career so he is not affected by the NFL. I can't believe this guy didn't get drafted.

6] Jackson let the hard pass at the goalline go through his hands, tough catch but he needs to make it. Hardy looked awful on one crossing pattern where he flinched, and dropped another short pass that was tough but should have caught it. Got wide open and nice sideline catch for 30. Looked better running patterns. I have no idea what Gailey thinks of him, good or bad (although we know he thought Hardy sucked at first and then greatly improved). I still think we keep six WR (Evans, Parrish, Johnson, Nelson, Jackson, Hardy for the first four games (unless a good TE gets cut and we sign him). Then when Nelson comes back, we cut one of Hardy or Jackson or IR someone because of injury.

7] Defense looks terrible right now. I am just hoping, not thinking, that they will get a little better each week and when they have all their starters in. I liked what I saw of Troup. LBs were abused. Davis played well except for forgetting to cover Gresham on the TD which was brutal. McLovin despite the slip on the Ocho TD needs to start over Florence.

8} Trent looks good. Quite efficient. The coaching and play-calling makes a huge difference. Said it in another thread but it seems like an equal parts combination of about five different things: The play design is significant better. The play calling in both sequence and appropriate time is much better. The playing to a player's individual strengths is much better (see Parrish). Getting the 5 OL that will start all in at the same time has helped tremendously. And adding Spiller to the mix.

This team is a lot more fun to watch than I expected. Although I am one who puts no stock at all in pre-season. The only thing I think we know for sure is that CJ is fast, has fabulous vision, cutback ability and acceleration. He looks like a stud.

Gailey looks like a good hire right now. No doubt about it. We'll see in the games that count though.

Nice post. I thought all along the D will be our biggest hurdle, at least early on. They didn't seem to do much scheme wise but we're still giving up way too much on the ground.

They did something that hasn't been seen for a few years... adjusting.

From the Q and A with Chan Gailey:

Q: On using the passing game to loosen up Cincinnati’s defense:

They were playing the run very, very hard to start with. After we saw that, we figured we had to throw it a bunch to soften them up a bit. I thought we were able to do that."

And from the Cinci color commentator after the 2nd screen pass, a 26 yard gain by Spiller:

"They feel the pressure, they feel the pressure...screen pass, big gain

They feel the pressure, they feel the pressure again...screen pass, another big gain."

The adjustments made were done from series to series and even within the series.

They weren't made from half to half, or from game to game, but in some cases, from play to play.

And from the Cinci color commentator after the 2nd screen pass, a 26 yard gain by Spiller:

"They feel the pressure, they feel the pressure...screen pass, big gain

They feel the pressure, they feel the pressure again...screen pass, another big gain."

The adjustments made were done from series to series and even within the series.

They weren't made from half to half, or from game to game, but in some cases, from play to play.

I'm wondering if screen passes are part timing and part simple coaching. Even when we tried them the last ten years they never looked good or right or executed well. Then in the post game comments we heard "we had the plays, we just didnt execute well". I know it's pre-season but the line actually looks like it's supposed to do on screens. The block for a sec, let their guy go, get into position, and then charge. It seems so simple but we never looked like that before. We looked like a frat house party.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I didn't get to see the game, I just listened on the radio so maybe my observations are out to lunch ... but ...

It seemed to me our offensive success seemed to come from a solid game plan ... efficient execution ... and enough self confidence to not give up on a series because of one bad play.

Over the last 10 years we may have scored if we got a freak play maybe a bomb for a TD .... a kick/punt return deep into the opponents territory ... interception/ fumble deep in our opponents territory etc. We couldn't consistantly convert 3rd downs, we couldn't consistantly "move the chains", and what drove me crazy the most was if we had a bad play/penalty early in the series it almost seemed we were just trying to get to 4th down so we could punt.

Granted yesterday was only preseason, but, a few times we were faced with second and over 10 yards and converted, it seemed the team had confidence and just knew to keep working and everything will work out, they ground out first down after first down, and most importantly ... when they got it into the red zone they played for the TD instead of settling for the FG. I have a feeling it's going to be fun watching the offence develop this year.

I have no idea what the heck is going on with the D .... did they really play a formation with 6dbs, 4D-linemen, and 1LB on first and second downs or were the announcers all honked up????

Good post. I thought the entire starting offene, even the OL, played well....above my expectations. Coaching makes the biggest difference here.

The one negative about the O was the lack of blocking on edge runs. Either the blockers are too slow or the runners are outrunning them. Other than that, I'm a pretty happy camper offense-wise.

Special teams on punt & kickoff returns need to do The Tighten Up. Instituting the 3-4 is going to be a work in progress, but I'm not unhappy with their progress as long as the O keeps pace.

I'll say it again, by the end of the season, NO ONE is going to want to play the Bills.

Nice post. I thought all along the D will be our biggest hurdle, at least early on. They didn't seem to do much scheme wise but we're still giving up way too much on the ground.

They don't look great against the run, but that's not the problem. The linebackers and secondary are getting abused in the passing game. Florence is committing a couple of holding/PI penalties a game.

I have hopes they will get better against the pass, but I begin to wonder if the good performance last year was in part the fact the cover two meant they didn't play so much man-to-man, and kept everything in front of them.

I also thought th Fitzpatrick showed why he is going to be 2nd string (and probably get a few starts this year). He is crafty and knows where to go with the ball in most every situation. He can't ALWAYS it there, but at least shows what a capable QB needs to show.

I'm wondering if screen passes are part timing and part simple coaching. Even when we tried them the last ten years they never looked good or right or executed well. Then in the post game comments we heard "we had the plays, we just didnt execute well". I know it's pre-season but the line actually looks like it's supposed to do on screens. The block for a sec, let their guy go, get into position, and then charge. It seems so simple but we never looked like that before. We looked like a frat house party.

I think there were a few times where execution flubbed an otherwise well called play. (well, maybe more than a few times). There was the holding penalty, the missing the receiver, the missed block.

But I think for the most part, it goes back to what Whitner relayed last week from opposing players "you guys never adjusted, we always knew what you were going to do."

I think that was reinforced by the whole "Pop Warner offense" thing and the "he's been getting on my back about simplifying the offense" comments.

Just saw some of the highlights. CJ's second run looked almost the same as his run against Indy. Made a linebacker miss, then ran it up the sideline. Holy moley, that dude is exciting.

We were down at field level and one of CJs runs was near us. What caught my attention wasn't his speed, but his acceleration. He seems to run at about half speed down the line and as soon as he turns the corner he is up to full speed instantaneously. It was really something to see.

My takeaways from the game were simple observations from the second half when the starters were on the sidelines sans pads.

1) CJ is small. I mean S M -ALL. He is exciting to watch and has a lot of talent to be sure. I just hope he doesn't get killed out there when it is for real.

2) Eric Wood is a freaking BEAST physically. Damn that kid is big. No stereotypical offensive lineman gut on this kid. If he keeps progressing he could be a keeper for a very long time.

I think your first point...the lack of penalties is telling. It means one thing on this team has changed. Discipline. They now have it. Everyone is paying attention to Chan. Now if Schobel would return and Bruce Smith and Andre Reed could shed about 20 years.....

I also thought th Fitzpatrick showed why he is going to be 2nd string (and probably get a few starts this year). He is crafty and knows where to go with the ball in most every situation. He can't ALWAYS it there, but at least shows what a capable QB needs to show.

The problem with Fitz, which was the problem he had last year and throughout his career, is that he looks like he did last night in one game (decisive, accurate, in control), and then the next time out throws groundballs and runs around like a madman. It's possible, I guess, that we could get a Jackie Chan upgrade on Fitz as well (which is something that hasn't been discussed a lot. We just assume he could be a miracle worker with Trent, but why not Fitz or Brohm for that matter.

They don't look great against the run, but that's not the problem. The linebackers and secondary are getting abused in the passing game. Florence is committing a couple of holding/PI penalties a game.

I have hopes they will get better against the pass, but I begin to wonder if the good performance last year was in part the fact the cover two meant they didn't play so much man-to-man, and kept everything in front of them.

I posted earlier in the year that I wasn't so sure our D backfield would be the strong point everyone was expecting it to be, because of the difference's in technique needed for man to man. I'm hoping they prove me wrong when we start scheming for teams when it all counts

I agree with all your points. I would also add that Edwards is actually showing some willingness to move around in the pocket instead of bolting for the sideline at the slightest hint of backside pressure. Actually looked like an NFL QB last night.

Also, I was very discouraged by Hardy's play too. Three times he went into motion and was clearly moving forward before the snap and was only flagged once. The drops were bad. Should have had both. He just seems to lack the athletic ability to control those long limbs. It's discouraging because he has the height and arm length to be a huge mismatch and when you see teams make a jump up the standings it's usually because they have found some guys who present those kind of matchup advantages. Nelson may be that kind of guy, he is very smooth and makes the game look easy. I don't go to camp so I don't know what the coaches see in Johnson but in the games Nelson seems to make the most of his opportunities.

I may end up being wrong about the offense having to go conservative, but the defense and special teams are just brutal. I'd really like to see them try to bring in a veteran pass rushing 3-4 OLB the next couple of weeks. I am glad to see them playing more exciting football but the reality is the last two weeks they probably would have had a 50 spot hung on them by those starting offenses of Indy and Cinci.

Still should have drafted Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie...instead of Leodis McKelvin!!! :wallbash:

Edited by Wilson from Gamehendge