Name a surprise cut before it happens...

sharper802

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone on the boards says "you can't cut a second rounder" but I have yet to see a reason for the Bills to keep Hardy. Last year he and T.O. were the only tall receivers we had (for the Red Zone), this year that's not the case. Nelson and Jackson are almost as big as Hardy and they run better routes. Cutting Hardy will surprise some but not me...

Everyone on the boards says "you can't cut a second rounder" but I have yet to see a reason for the Bills to keep Hardy. Last year he and T.O. were the only tall receivers we had (for the Red Zone), this year that's not the case. Nelson and Jackson are almost as big as Hardy and they run better routes. Cutting Hardy will surprise some but not me...

Agreed. Hardy is replaceable.

Edited by Rust Belt Brotherhood

Why can't they? He isn't Nixs' or Gailey's 2nd rounder, so he has no safety net there...

People usually associate "you can't cut a second rounder" (or first rounder) because of money. You made an investment and you don't want to give up on it early. It's true and happens all the time. But simultaneous to that, and just as important, you don't give up on second rounders early because they were drafted in the second round, and USUALLY (but not always) have a great deal of untapped talent.

Some are obvious busts and should be given up on.

Hardy IMO is a somewhat unusual case. The Bills and everyone else in the league knew he didn't run great routes, knew he was unpolished, knew he wasn't a possession receiver. They also knew he was a huge target and a big playmaker and red zone threat. That still exists. Because of injury we havent seen him able to showcase his skills. Everyone of the guys in front of him on the Bills runs better patterns right now, but that does not at all mean they are more valuable or better fits (obviously it doesn't mean they arent better fits either).

If the Bills see that Hardy can get in games and make plays (like his 30 yarder yesterday) and be a legitimate red zone threat like the game winner against Jax in his second game as a pro (which we realized worked so we immediately scrapped it for two full seasons), then he could still be a valuable cog on this team. And we can wait for him to develop his routes and other skills that other players are better at now.

We also don't need his height nearly as much as we used to as Nelson and Jackson are both big and SJ is decent sized as well.

I don't think we need to cut or give up on Hardy yet. Although I will not be surprised if we do.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Ellis Lankster has looked bad all preseason. With McGee, Florence, McKelvin, Youboty, & Corner in front of him, as well as Whitner's ability to cover if necessary, I think he's gone.

Good call - I agree.

Here's some for me:

Cornell Green

Kawika Mitchell

Joique Bell - Then they will try to practice squad him.

I was going to originally put Green but with Wang getting hurt I think they will keep him. If Meredith had shown something I think he might have gotten the start at RT or if Wood was 100% maybe they take a chance on less experience at RT.

Mitchell is a possibility too. I just think Kelsay brings so little else to the team. If he had been a decent pass rusher like Schobel one could see him moving back and forth from OLB/DE if the defense switches back and forth in the game. Now if that happens I would bet it would be Ellis or McCargo getting those reps at DE.