Preseason Game #3 Microcosm of Season

The Bills/Cincy game (preseason game #3) should go a long way in giving us fans an idea just how good or bad things will be in the upcoming season. I believe Cincy is a little better team than us, and their record from last year shows that. It will be interesting to see if the Bills can

keep pace with Cincinatti. The first half of the game should be our starting units versus Cincys.

Trent Edwards is suppose to start the first half as well as our QB. It'll be intereting to see if Trent follows his past tendancy of avoiding passing attempts downfield. I will be watching Trent closely, analyzing his decision making processes, his footwork, and throwing motion.

Trent Edwards to me reminds me of a young Joe Ferguson. I was young when I watched Fergie so maybe I'm wrong. Ferguson used to get discouraged easily when things go wrong. I used to see him put his head down sometimes. He steadily seemed to get a little better, never great, but a decent QB and he seemed like a humble guy. Hopefully, Trent will continue to mature as a QB and team leader.

I also will be interested in seeing what Chan Gailey will do in the first half if the situation of 4th down and inches presents itself. Will he have his offense try to draw the other team's defense offsides (once again) or will he take advantage of the opportunity and go for it on 4th down? I would hate to see the pattern of lacking confidence in the offense and punting once again, which to me projects the offense as a liability.

Will C.J. Siller run well again and get another touchdown? Will his performace inspire the Bills to trade Lynch or worse yet Jackson. Jackson is the more marketable running back. Coming off a 1000 yard season, caught a bunch of passes, except he's older than lynch and may not

have as much tread life left as M. Lynch. Will Joique Bell have another productive performance? If so, would the Bills cut him or risk him clearing waivers to put on the practice squad?

Besides Lee Evans will one of the Wide Receivers break out from the pack? Stevie Johnson, James Hardy, Roscoe Parrish, Chad Jackson? Too bad about M. Easley. He was having a nice preseason and I wish he would stick around.

Will Aaron Maybe Maybin please stand up and show yourself! Is Maybin in trouble? Will he even make the team? C. Ellis is outperforming him so far. Maybin thought he was something getting a sack on a fourth stringer last week..woopie!

So what do you think we should look for from this game? What's your prediction? Do you think game 3 will be the best indicator of how the Bills will be in the 2010 regular season? What Bills will be on your list of first cuts? Any big name cuts/surprises? Maybin, Brohm, Fitz, Hardy? Big Game that will have roster implications, and

give you insight on the upcoming 2010 season!

Finally...my prediction is: Cincy 24 Buffalo 20

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

I'll be watching how the 0-line blocks, throws down the middle for our qb's, how our D-line handles the run, pass rush, and how our LBs do. I suppose that's a lot. Oh ya and special teams. I'm not worried about our running backs or our DBs. Even if some of our guys falter I'm not too worried. They won't be able to fix everything by the 3rd preseason game. But as long as I see progress then i'll be ok. I'll be watching Moats and Maybin.

I agree with you Tony. There are so many aspects to tomorrow night's game that will be significant.

And yes, Cincinnati is an excellent test for us, particularly because it's the all-important 3rd preseason game.

I hope the Bills continue the encouraging play they showed against Indy.

I hope the Bills continue the encouraging play they showed against Indy.

yeah win or lose, as long as we look like a competitive pro football team, i'll be satisfied.

i'll be paying attention to our depth, esp on defense. i hope to see moats looking like he has a clue. and some positive signs from our secondary. as highly touted as they are, i've noticed quite a few mistakes and poor decisions thus far in the preseason.

It's still preseason there is no film watching, very little game planning- everything on both sides is vanilla.

It's not a micro anything it's just another preseason football game. What can you learn? Why the guys who get cut - get cut. Maybe a little on straight up stopping the run. But over all not much at all

What would I like to see ? Edwards play well for more than one drive. Not just hit a bomb but move the ball, get first downs, 12 play drives- 16 play drives.

I'll be watching how the 0-line blocks, throws down the middle for our qb's, how our D-line handles the run, pass rush, and how our LBs do. I suppose that's a lot. Oh ya and special teams. I'm not worried about our running backs or our DBs. Even if some of our guys falter I'm not too worried. They won't be able to fix everything by the 3rd preseason game. But as long as I see progress then i'll be ok. I'll be watching Moats and Maybin.

Not watching the first half?

It's still preseason there is no film watching, very little game planning- everything on both sides is vanilla.

It's not a micro anything it's just another preseason football game. What can you learn? Why the guys who get cut - get cut. Maybe a little on straight up stopping the run. But over all not much at all

What would I like to see ? Edwards play well for more than one drive. Not just hit a bomb but move the ball, get first downs, 12 play drives- 16 play drives.

The 3rd game is usually the last preseason that you will see the starters get significant time. I expect to see both teams play their starters or number 1 back ups for the entire half. This makes the game a very important tune up for the regular season. I would love to see us win the first half with our starters against theirs. True, the game planning will be vanilla on both sides but it will say something about our talent if we can hang with them. Blocking and tackling can be evaluated no matter the game plan.

The second half is important for the marginal players and backups to make a good showing. Cuts are coming and many players are fighting for a spot.

Edited by Bob in STL

Will still be hard to get a gauge of that the Bills will look like this season. Two of our best talents on offense (Lynch and Jackson) are not in the game. I honestly believe Chan plans on making full use out of all of the RBs on this team on a regular basis when we get to the season. I think You will see a lot of 2 back sets (a combination of Spiller, Lynch, and Jackson) with the other lined up at WR. I think all 3 will play a lot. Chan knows he has no real #2 WR on this team yet and he will want to put the best talent he has to use on the field as much as possible. So, I think all 3 RBs are going to be on the field a ton during the season.

Unfortunately, with 2 of them out for this game, we will not get a glimpse of that tonight. So, while I do think we will get more of an idea of what they are going to try and do, without all of the talent that will be available during the season on the field, we won't see a good piece.

Well if you are to apply the 3rd game rule evenly the Pats* offense looks strong again but their D is suspect. The Jets and Dolphins both look horrible.

PTR

The Pats* are a veteran team and they will be ready to roll. It will be their ofense that carries them.

The Jets and Phins are still young teams and both have question marks. The Phins will not surprise anyone. They are not that good.

The Jets are interesting. Lots of talent but a sophomore QB that is still learning. They have some weaknesses, their own hype being at the top of the list.

I think we can hang with all the teams in our division if we get good play out of the OL and if our defensive front 7 can actually play the 3-4.

As usual, it is in the trenches were we could be outmanned.

If Edwards doesn't play well and move the ball well on drives the entire time he's in I sayo sit him and give Fitz or Brohm the ball and a chance to show what they can do with this team now. We've wasted too much time on TE and if he doesn't play a great first half, yank him and give our backups a shot in the last pre-season game! I know it is "only pre-season" but we can't afford to dink around much longer with TE if he doesn't perform. Pull the trigger fast or we will assure ourselves to be off to a dismal start. I also will be watching to see if our lines continue to improve and gel together. These two things (O-line and QB play) will make or break us early.

I have a feeling the Defense will step it up a notch this game. i know from Twitter the D is pumped to be matching up against Owens and Ocho Cinco. Offense should be serviceable. I'd love to see 17 first half points out of the offense.