Are the Bills getting a swagger

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in all sports the team takes on its identity of the coach. And it appears the Bills are doing just that. From the players being mentally and physically tougher and the comraderie we are beginning to see, one has to believe our beloved Bills are on the right track. When was the last time we saw our HC stick up for his players the way Chan has? Its been awhile to say the least. I wont point to specifics as they have already been discussed. Now we may not win more than 8 games this year due to some areas of weakness in talent, but I think next year will be the real turning point. So sit back everyone and enjoy the ride...I think it will be interesting and exciting again. Does everyone feel we are on the path to success?

On the path to success? Yup, I think there's a pretty solid chance that in around 2012 we might be a very good team.

As for swagger, it doesn't matter in the preseason the year after you got six wins. Swagger only matters in a team that has proved itself.

Edited by Thurman#1

Chan also said he is "excited" about what Parrish is going to bring to the offense. That will ruffle some feathers around here -- you know, the crowd who "know" Roscoe can't cut it as a WR simply because the knuckleheads who have been designing game plans for the past four years have had their heads up their butts.

[/font

I THINK ROSCOE IS GONNA B OUR WES WELKER,HE'S GONNA B THE ONE TEAMS ARE GONNA HAVE A HARD TIME CONTROLING,EVERYTHING WELKER DOSE FOR THEIR OFFENCE WE ARE GONNA C HIM DO FOR FOR OURS.....CAN'T WAIT.

I appreciate your opinion. I too am excited about the upcoming season. I am excited to see a new adequate head coach with inexperienced coordinators take over a less than talented team. I am anxious to see what happens. I am hopeful we can get some wins, be competitive , and build for the future.

What are you, a Jerry Sullivan disciple? The preseason is time for unbridled hope and optimism. How dare you inject reality into the conversation! The Bills beat the Colts and are swaggering dammit!

- Things do seem to be going better than I imagined though. The more I see and learn about Gailey, the more I like him. The Cinci game will be a good indicator of where we are at.

In today's press conference, Gailey said the WRs were actually playing worse rather than better. When was the last time you heard a coach say that? What he meant was they were making more mental errors, not that they sucked. Gailey is not going to let anyone get away doing a half-assed job. That alone will make us a better team.

PTR

This is what I really like - he calls out players for their lack of performance, which makes them accountable. If they don't respond to that, they don't play.

And I agree that we won't see a swagger until the regular season. Hard to show that in preseason games when the starting unit is on the field for all of 3 series. You don't get swagger until you start winning a few games and establishing yourself. At the very least, the coaches are showing swagger to the players (and the fans), so here's hoping it'll rub off.

Edited by BuffaloWings

I believe in all sports the team takes on its identity of the coach. And it appears the Bills are doing just that. From the players being mentally and physically tougher and the comraderie we are beginning to see, one has to believe our beloved Bills are on the right track. When was the last time we saw our HC stick up for his players the way Chan has? Its been awhile to say the least. I wont point to specifics as they have already been discussed. Now we may not win more than 8 games this year due to some areas of weakness in talent, but I think next year will be the real turning point. So sit back everyone and enjoy the ride...I think it will be interesting and exciting again. Does everyone feel we are on the path to success?

The jury is still out on whether Gailey and his staff will turn this team around, and it will stay that way for awhile, but it does appear that he has more control of the team than the previous staff did. Alot of it will depend on whether the organization gives him the resources to build a winner ($$$), as it takes both good drafts and a few smart free agent signings each year in this league to become a winner. I wouldn't think a team would have swagger until it does a little bit (or more) of winning, and this team hasn't proven it can win yet. Now confidence, you can never have enough of that, but it is totally different than swagger. Swagger on a losing team is the guy who scores a touchdown against a backup defense when you are losing by 4 or 5 touchdowns and he still does a dance and and pounds his chest and mocks the defense-you don't want swagger on a team that almost always loses like this team has for the past decade.

Fellas, I know I'm pessimistic, especially about the Bills...having watched them implode more times than I care to recall for this reply, but are you really watching this team? Are you so starved for anything remotely positive that Chan's chewing out several teens is interpreted as the team turning the corner?

Wait four or five games, then take the team's temperature....

Lets just walk. Earn swagger in the regular season.

Sure, winning adds confidence.

However, last year one of the biggest complaints by the players was a lack of identity. In fact, I can remember this going back to the Mularkey years. A lack of offensive (and team) identity.

Gelling and developing attitude, team play, and a united 'one for all, and all for one' mentality early in training camp will set the tone for the season and will create a mindset to build on.

Earlier is better.

Chan also said he is "excited" about what Parrish is going to bring to the offense. That will ruffle some feathers around here -- you know, the crowd who "know" Roscoe can't cut it as a WR simply because the knuckleheads who have been designing game plans for the past four years have had their heads up their butts.

Maybe CG has told Roscoe the secret of evading a defender (and not getting plastered) immediately after each catch.

Fellas, I know I'm pessimistic, especially about the Bills...having watched them implode more times than I care to recall for this reply, but are you really watching this team? Are you so starved for anything remotely positive that Chan's chewing out several teens is interpreted as the team turning the corner?

Wait four or five games, then take the team's temperature....

But you really have to have your head in the sand not to notice the difference in coaching today with Chan. Not saying we're going to the Super Bowl. Just saying we were a bad team that still managed to win 6 games last year, now with smarter coaching, a playmaker in CJ Spiller, and a better attitude. That can't hurt.

PTR

I appreciate your opinion. I too am excited about the upcoming season. I am excited to see a new adequate head coach with inexperienced coordinators take over a less than talented team. I am anxious to see what happens. I am hopeful we can get some wins, be competitive , and build for the future.

As far as a "swagger," I don't see it. What makes you say that we are getting a swagger? Can you validate the Bills swagger? I am being serious and not trying to be a dick. I did like how they looked vs Indy but I wouldn't call it a swagger...

Well first off I think trent edwards is starting to become a leader and gain some confidence. The teammates are sticking together and begin to Gel like we havent seen in a long time...those are just a few examples.

The coach has some swagger to him. He is a no nonsense kinda guy. That will eventually trickle down to the players. If the players believe in the coach and what he is trying to accomplish the bills will win games this year. Winning games creates confidence.

Let me give you a story about proper coaching and swagger.

When I was an assistant coach in HS one year we had a below average team when it came to physical talent. Bear with me on this. We had no wide receivers worth a hoot. We had a starting HB that was great at reading his blocks but was undersized and slow. Our 2nd HB which we used a lot was tiny in comparison and could get tripped over by a fly. Our QB was a small fellow, but light on his feet. He couldn't throw far enough to save his life. FB was slow but he could break tackles. O-line was undersized and inexperienced. These guys played both ways more so than most teams we played.

Started off the season slow but the guys buyed into the head coach's philosophy and mentality. The team grew into one cohesive tough unit. We had swagger to begin with and it grew. Almost everyone we played was faster, stronger, bigger, more experienced. As the season progressed our players got better and grew into their rolls and started to dominate other so called better teams. We made it all the way to the finals where we got beaten out by pretty much an all star team at our level.

What i'm getting at here is that with proper coaching and mentality a team can go a long way. Don't underestimate searing focus, fundamentals, swagger, team unity and proper coaching.

I think Chan has these qualities that he's teaching the players. It will take time to sink in for them. But imo it's been a long time since i've seen a man like Chan on our side with such an abundance of qualities which i like. Let's see some swagger, the more the better.

Swagger, technique and discipline!

Chan has grown on me Big Time.

When I was an assistant coach in HS one year we had a below average team when it came to physical talent. Bear with me on this. We had no wide receivers worth a hoot. We had a starting HB that was great at reading his blocks but was undersized and slow. Our 2nd HB which we used a lot was tiny in comparison and could get tripped over by a fly. Our QB was a small fellow, but light on his feet. He couldn't throw far enough to save his life. FB was slow but he could break tackles. O-line was undersized and inexperienced. These guys played both ways more so than most teams we played.

Started off the season slow but the guys buyed into the head coach's philosophy and mentality. The team grew into one cohesive tough unit. We had swagger to begin with and it grew. Almost everyone we played was faster, stronger, bigger, more experienced. As the season progressed our players got better and grew into their rolls and started to dominate other so called better teams. We made it all the way to the finals where we got beaten out by pretty much an all star team at our level.

What i'm getting at here is that with proper coaching and mentality a team can go a long way. Don't underestimate searing focus, fundamentals, swagger, team unity and proper coaching.

I think Chan has these qualities that he's teaching the players. It will take time to sink in for them. But imo it's been a long time since i've seen a man like Chan on our side with such an abundance of qualities which i like. Let's see some swagger, the more the better.

+1 Coaching is more important in football than any other sport.

And I'm sure your guys made some bad plays, but if you make enough good ones at the right time, you win.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

+1 Coaching is more important in football than any other sport.

And I'm sure your guys made some bad plays, but if you make enough good ones at the right time, you win.

PTR

Oh we made plenty of mistakes in the first several games. Too many to mention. Just like the Bills. But the players learned and progressed with the proper leadership. You're so right Promo, coaching is more important than most people think. Talent is great, but it's the right coach that gets all those pieces playing together into the most efficient machine possible.

Edited by Pilsner

OMG, you're kidding, right? This team is bad! Stinky bad. They look as bad if not worse than any Dick Jauron team. Give it up already. Be hopeful, but not blinded and stupid. Who are we going to beat?

09/12 MIAMI DOLPHINS 1:00 pm maybe

09/19 @ Green Bay Packers 1:00 pm no

09/26 @ New England Patriots 1:00 pm no

10/03 NEW YORK JETS 1:00 pm maybe

10/10 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS 1:00 pm yes

10/17 BYE

10/24 @ Baltimore Ravens 1:00 pm no

10/31 @ Kansas City Chiefs 1:00 pm yes

11/07 CHICAGO BEARS (Toronto) 1:00 pm maybe

11/14 DETROIT LIONS 1:00 pm yes

11/21 @ Cincinnati Bengals 1:00 pm no

11/28 PITTSBURGH STEELERS 1:00 pm no

12/05 @ Minnesota Vikings 1:00 pm no

12/12 CLEVELAND BROWNS 1:00 pm yes

12/19 @ Miami Dolphins 1:00 pm no

12/26 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 1:00 pm no

01/02 @ New York Jets 1:00 pm no

7-9 best case - 5-11 more likely

Let me give you a story about a team that has been bad for over 10 yrs. It's called the Buffalo Bills. They suck. Get ready for another year of being out of the mix by week 10 at the latest. There is nothing good about this team, except our RBs. How many SBs have we won? ZERO! Think a few good RBs and a new coach and GM are going to get it done? This team does NOT have searing focus, fundamentals, swagger, team unity or proper coaching. CG has no sustained winning track record in either the NFL or NCAA. Do you really think he's any good? No one of any real talent wants to play, coach, or GM here. Let's hope for success, but let's not be stupid about it. This is not a good team and there will be no playoffs AGAIN this year.