Would we better off with Wood at center?

....lybob

Just read a little blurb about Wood getting time at center as Hangartner got a veteran day off, and it got me thinking about whether the Oline would be better off with Wood at center full time - last year I noticed that the Bills seemed to play better against a 4-3 defense as compared to a 3-4 defense, I chalked it up to the fact that they were more use to playing against a 4-3 because that is what we play but now I'm wondering if it doesn't have more to do with Hangartner at center.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Simply because we would be weakening LG more than strengthening the Center position.

That said, once we get a competent replacement at LG, Wood will enjoy an All Pro career at Center for years to come. Just a hunch.

GO BILLS!!!

If there is someone that can take over is job. I tend to agree and have a feeling over the coming seasons Wood will eventually move to center the line. Why not now?? It's a great question. You have to think Hangartner could play guard if he can manage at center...

Maybe the coaches are afriad of what would happen putting Wood and Levitre together.

Sorry

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

If there is someone that can take over is job. I tend to agree and have a feeling over the coming seasons Wood will eventually move to center the line. Why not now?? It's a great question. You have to think Hangartner could play guard if he can manage at center...

Maybe the coaches are afriad of what would happen putting Wood and Levitre together.

Sorry

Center has to make line calls. Maybe they don't want to put that on Wood yet.

Just read a little blurb about Wood getting time at center as Hangartner got a veteran day off, and it got me thinking about whether the Oline would be better off with Wood at center full time - last year I noticed that the Bills seemed to play better against a 4-3 defense as compared to a 3-4 defense, I chalked it up to the fact that they were more use to playing against a 4-3 because that is what we play but now I'm wondering if it doesn't have more to do with Hangartner at center.

Maybe I'm wrong here - but with all the nose tackles we will face this year, maybe we'd be better served with him at center. Not sure if the guards end up double teaming good ones anyway.

No. Simply because we would be weakening LG more than strengthening the Center position.

That said, once we get a competent replacement at LG, Wood will enjoy an All Pro career at Center for years to come. Just a hunch.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually, Eric Wood plays right guard.

And as an article and discussion have pointed out in the last year here, left guard is actually considered a more vital position because of the teamwork that player must have in containing the opponents top pass rusher who lines up on that side.

Due to stunts, the offensive left tackle and guard have to work very well as a team.

So Eric Wood, is actually playing the least important position on the offensive line.

Conventionally you would use your best edge pass blocker at left tackle and your best interior lineman at center or left guard.

Levitre will do a fine job at left guard so I agree with the masses here that believe it's only a matter of time before Eric Wood is switched to center.

And as an article and discussion have pointed out in the last year here, left guard is actually considered a more vital position because of the teamwork that player must have in containing the opponents top pass rusher who lines up on that side.

Due to stunts, the offensive left tackle and guard have to work very well as a team.

So Eric Wood, is actually playing the least important position on the offensive line.

Conventionally you would use your best edge pass blocker at left tackle and your best interior lineman at center or left guard.

Levitre will do a fine job at left guard so I agree with the masses here that believe it's only a matter of time before Eric Wood is switched to center.

Actually the article to which you are referring (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/04/02/oline.rankings/1.html) says that after the OT's, RG is the most important position.

Edited by Doc

I think eventually we will look to start Wood at C, Levitre at RG then move Handy to G or interior line backup. I think that Wood will end up there as soon as next year but I think they want to give him a 2nd year of NFL starts so that their center (Who is suppose to be the smartest lineman) has 20+ NFL starts under his belt.

Actually the article to which you are referring (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/04/02/oline.rankings/1.html) says that after the OT's, RG is the most important position.

Funny how the memory plays tricks. I guess I was thinking that because Levite was a left tackle in college…

Anyways, I stand corrected.

Thanks, Doc.

p.s.-still think Wood moves to center eventually.

According to an article (I think it was by Ross Tucker) on the relative importance of each OL position, RG was the most important interior OL spot. So putting Wood there makes the most sense.

I suppose other OL experts may have different opinions, the Tucker article made sense.

Tucker on OL positions

Edited by Dennis in AZ

According to an article (I think it was by Ross Tucker) on the relative importance of each OL position, RG was the most important interior OL spot. So putting Wood there makes the most sense.

I suppose other OL experts may have different opinions, the Tucker article made sense.

Tucker on OL positions

Anyone else?

Man. I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.

Funny how the memory plays tricks. I guess I was thinking that because Levite was a left tackle in college…

Anyways, I stand corrected.

Thanks, Doc.

p.s.-still think Wood moves to center eventually.

I also think he moves to center eventually.

Anyone else?

Man. I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.

I like Ross Tucker but if you play a lot of 3-4 (jests,doltfins,chowderheads) teams then Center is right up there with LT as the most important Oline position- in order LT, C, RT and it depends on whether you are a power running team then (RG) or mostly a passing team then (LG) which guard position is more important.

If we had someone else that could play guard that would probably be a good idea. lol. I guess the questions comes down to these:

Do we screw with what little chemistry we have on the offensive line?

Is it worth making Trent get used to the QB/Center exchange with a new guy?

Is Wood a significant upgrade over Hangartner?

Who do we have that wouldn't be a significant downgrade at guard?

"While there were changes made at the tight end position for the Bills on Monday there was also an interesting development on the offensive line. Starting center Geoff Hangartner was granted a rest day for the first time in camp, and stepping into the pivot in his place was right guard Eric Wood.

Head coach Chan Gailey explained why Wood was moved inside.

“When you get to the season you don’t get to carry that many offensive linemen on game day so you have to cross train quite a few people,” said Gailey. “That’s one of the things we have to look at is cross training Eric inside if something were to happen and we have to make a move during a game.”

It was the first time Wood has been at the center spot in a live practice setting since his college days. Wood was a First Team All-Big East conference center and a finalist for the Rimington trophy during his time at Louisville. It would not be surprising if Wood wound up being the team’s backup center this season with current second team center Sean Allen being an undrafted rookie whose only NFL experience has been the first two preseason games."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-18/bc0f9b49-5f95-4fd3-b7d0-553a96ec8c68

If we had someone else that could play guard that would probably be a good idea. lol. I guess the questions comes down to these:

Do we screw with what little chemistry we have on the offensive line?

Is it worth making Trent get used to the QB/Center exchange with a new guy?

Is Wood a significant upgrade over Hangartner?

Who do we have that wouldn't be a significant downgrade at guard?

I think all these points are exactly why the move doesn't come anytime soon. But like many others here, I think that will be the future position for Wood. If the line stays healthy I am really looking forward to seeing what they can do this year. Can't wait to see Wood pulling left and throwing blocks for CJ!