Bears sign Todd Collins

tomdayfan

Thanks for news. Collins is the kind of mentor Jay Cutler needs, and it looks like he is there for the year with a guaranteed contract. Go Todd!

That is one less team for the guy who will be left out from the Bills Squad.

That is one less team for the guy who will be left out from the Bills Squad.

In spite of the Brohm lover's fantasies, Fitzpatrick isn't going anywhere. So I don't think the Bears or any other NFL team was holding its breath waiting for Levi Brown or Brian Brohm. Teams that consider themselves contenders want a proven backup, like Todd Collins, not some rookie or a guy who started one NFL game & was horrible.

I have often wondered how good Todd Collins would have been if he was given a chance to start after leaving Buffalo. He was a highly regarded backup to Trent Green in Kansas City for a long time. He led the Redskins to the playoffs recently. I have the feeling he would have been ok. I wish him the best in Chicago.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

The Bills gave up on Todd Collins way too quickly. I'm not saying he would have been a great QB for us, but he wasn't even given a full year as the starter before the plug was pulled. That's nowhere near enough time to develop a QB.

If there was a Pro Bowl for holding a clipboard, Todd would have been the guy.

PTR

I have often wondered how good Todd Collins would have been if he was given a chance to start after leaving Buffalo. He was a highly regarded backup to Trent Green in Kansas City for a long time. He led the Redskins to the playoffs recently. I have the feeling he would have been ok. I wish him the best in Chicago.

Getting rid of Collins was the worst mistake the Bills have made since I have been a fan in the late 70's. It set in motion over a decade of poor quarterback play and lots of wasted picks and money, such as the impetus for the move, the Rob Johnson signing. Then, the Redkins made the same mistake, letting Campbell start for years when the superior talent was on the bench. (The only real success they had recently was when Collins replaced Campell.) Maybe this year he gets a chance again.

Cutler needs to develop the skills that Collins has--accuracy, playing within himself, solid preparation, and calmness under pressure.

Getting rid of Collins was the worst mistake the Bills have made since I have been a fan in the late 70's. It set in motion over a decade of poor quarterback play and lots of wasted picks and money, such as the impetus for the move, the Rob Johnson signing. Then, the Redkins made the same mistake, letting Campbell start for years when the superior talent was on the bench. (The only real success they had recently was when Collins replaced Campell.) Maybe this year he gets a chance again.

Cutler needs to develop the skills that Collins has--accuracy, playing within himself, solid preparation, and calmness under pressure.

Wow. If that is your memory of Todd as QB in Buffalo then there must be alternate universes.

PTR

Todd and Kerry COllins are this generation's Morten and Gary Anders(o)en. Same position, same last name, same rookie year, both playing long past their peers. And just when you think they're finally done, someone calls and drags them back to the league.

Career backup, but he worked hard and proved himself to be a good one.

The Bills gave up on Todd Collins way too quickly. I'm not saying he would have been a great QB for us, but he wasn't even given a full year as the starter before the plug was pulled. That's nowhere near enough time to develop a QB.

Yeah I agree. I wish we would have Kept him and had Flutie be the starter, instead of going after Johnson. I would have loved to have that pick whoever that would have been I remember we gave up a first and fourth for him, and we all know how good that turned out. If you remember we were pretty stacked in 1998. He would have been a great back up having a full year under his wings. He was always a great guy who could come in and win games for you. I remember the ones when Jim Kelly went down. He did great as the back up then.