Questions and tips about the new board...

SDS

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the voters know if the poll is private or public?

I can answer that.

It warned me last time I voted that my vote would be visible to members. In a green banner above the poll choices, it said,

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Gotcha.

I hope you're right about the YT vids. Never underestimate the tards... is my motto though.

I'll have to make sure I double check the poll, before I vote. :thumbsup:

I'm with you. I have been on too many sites where it is out of control. And with youtube vids, it doesn't take much. One vid, in an oft quoted post can really foul a thread, pronto. I agree people should edit the quotes in the replies, but they don't, and likely won't.

Since we have been without all that crap for so long, I suspect it won't be as bad as many sites, but will feel worse to us, as are used to having the cleanest board out there.

Gee, you could try and do a little leg work you know...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/117749-qb-popularity-poll/

I don't know what I am looking for there, Fearless Leader. I see nothing that identifies it as a public (and not private). Of course, I voted a while back. So it isn't there anymore, or I am missing it. So in this case, legwork didn't help at all.

I can answer that.

It warned me last time I voted that my vote would be visible to members. In a green banner above the poll choices, it said,

Thanks, Levi. When I voted I don't recall getting any warning. I may have just missed it at the time...it was early. I'll be on the lookout next time.

Scott,

Forgive me for not wading through the 9 pages to see if this question has already been answered.

This one might fall under the FAQs that you will/have received.

When I click on my posts or other's posts, I only get the last few posts. In the pasts, I was able to access every post by myself or another person.

One of the tools that I and others find important is the ability to review our own (and other people's) statements and opinions.

Without some track record of what people have said…well, let me just say that I'm a stickler for accountability.

Can we still see the entirety of our own or other people's posts?

Thanks, Scott.

I'm with you. I have been on too many sites where it is out of control. And with youtube vids, it doesn't take much. One vid, in an oft quoted post can really foul a thread, pronto. I agree people should edit the quotes in the replies, but they don't, and likely won't.

Since we have been without all that crap for so long, I suspect it won't be as bad as many sites, but will feel worse to us, as are used to having the cleanest board out there.

Agreed. It will get out of control. With each new poster, they will bring an increased chance of posting like they do eslewhere - vids and pics all over the joint. That's why this is the only board I frequent with any regularity - it's the only one I care to read; plus its the only one you can read.

I almost always edit a quote in my reply (case in point)... especially when its a loooong quote. But, you're right, most people don't. They're either oblivious to the extra bandwidth required, oblivious to how unreadable a thread becomes, or just don't care; but most don't. With that said, I have no real concerns here though. Seeing Scott's reaction to the PrepH pic; I think it'll be kept under control long before it gets too cumbersome.

Thanks, Scott.

if you click on Find My Content underneath their profile pic - it shows them all. Don't use the tab on the right.

Agreed. It will get out of control. With each new poster, they will bring an increased chance of posting like they do eslewhere - vids and pics all over the joint. That's why this is the only board I frequent with any regularity - it's the only one I care to read; plus its the only one you can read.

I almost always edit a quote in my reply (case in point)... especially when its a loooong quote. But, you're right, most people don't. They're either oblivious to the extra bandwidth required, oblivious to how unreadable a thread becomes, or just don't care; but most don't. With that said, I have no real concerns here though. Seeing Scott's reaction to the PrepH pic; I think it'll be kept under control long before it gets too cumbersome.

it has yet to become a problem at SabreSpace in the least bit.

Yeah... but who goes to SabreSpace. Come on. :pirate:

Seriously, I'm sure you're right or would at least correct it if it gets out of hand. This is, by far, the best moderated board I know of. So, I'm not terribly worried; just echoing Dean's sentiment that it gets annoying... quick.

No friends here, either. I just don't get the point. I think it's just the myspace/facebook-ification of the web.

Personally, two reasons for friends.

Some have sent me nice messages so I try to stay apprised on what they say too.

Secondly there are people I "just wanna keep an eye on." :)

The only problem I have is that members posts are only 1 page. Am I not seeing something?

if you click on Find My Content underneath their profile pic - it shows them all. Don't use the tab on the right.

Thanks, Scott. I thought that I had tried "My Content" yesterday and it didn't work.

But it is working so thanks again.

Personally, two reasons for friends.

Some have sent me nice messages so I try to stay apprised on what they say too.

Secondly there are people I "just wanna keep an eye on." :)

Actually I just discovered I have a few friends. I have no idea when/how that happened, or if I am a friend in their list.

And seeing as how these bastards snuck onto my list, I agree I need to keep my eye on them. :unsure:

Thanks.

I also note that the first thing I see when I go to TBD is some guy and his girlfriend. This feature is good when all the pics are of football games but not when it's drunk fans.

It looks like it's rotating images now. Problem is when one of the images is this one.

Guest dog14787

How do you see if someone has responded to you? I have been going to my content, but then I have to scroll through the whole post to find mine, then see if someone has posted after that in response. Is this the best way? Sorry in advance if someone else has already asked this and an answer has been given.

I know what you mean, I always used my assistant to go back over the last topics I posted on.

Its to bad there wasn't a response indicator to indicate if someone has replied to a post you have written because now its somewhat of an ordeal to see If you've had any responses to earlier post.

Any chance of that being possible SDS? Or anybody?

OK Buffalonian, this works just as well as the assistant, just click on your own profile and then click on posts, I originally thought you couldn't click directly onto the individual posts but you can at the top(topic), just click on that and it allows you to check the thread/post for responses.

Edited by dog14787

I know what you mean, I always used my assistant to go back over the last topics I posted on.

Its to bad there wasn't a response indicator to indicate if someone has replied to a post you have written because now its somewhat of an ordeal to see If you've had any responses to earlier post.

Any chance of that being possible SDS? Or anybody?

OK Buffalonian, this works just as well as the assistant, just click on your own profile and then click on posts, I originally thought you couldn't click directly onto the individual posts but you can at the top(topic), just click on that and it allows you to check the thread/post for responses.

Dog - Thanks man, you're right works exactly like "my assistant". Yeah, I wish there was a way to have a response indicator. Like this response for example. You may not even find out that I thanked you for helping me with this, unless you just arbitrarily thought "hey wonder if Buffalonian thanked me for helping him, let me check."

Edited by Buffalonian-at-Heart

I hate to chime in with a critical thought, but I find myself turned off by the difficulty in differentiating between "grey" threads and "red" ones. The tabs poking out from behind the all blue folders just aren't doing it. When I pull up the front page, it's all sort of a wash to me, everything looks the same. At first glance I can't determine where the "hot" threads be, and I don't like having to hunt them down.

Guest dog14787

Dog - Thanks man, you're right works exactly like "my assistant". Yeah, I wish there was a way to have a response indicator. Like this response for example. You may not even find out that I thanked you for helping me with this, unless you just arbitrarily thought "hey wonder if Buffalonian thanked me for helping him, let me check."

Your welcome buddy, I did check back in, ;)

If you think about it though, sometimes a fella responds to what you and other posters may post in a separate post so it probably pays to actually just check back into the thread you have an interest in. I haven't used it yet , but I see we can follow also follow threads of interest which would be good feature for some.

It's all over this thread already.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/117470-most-boring-thread-on-the-internet-last-post-wins/page__view__findpost__p__1943185

Granted, it's a silly thread...

I wonder, without criticizing if:

(1) There could be a feature where only the thread-starting post could include a video

(2) The thread-starting post could contain a tag to allow vids and images in the thread

These may not be available features.

As I may be in the minority of people not wanting vids, images (I even hate emoticons), feel free to disregard. Your vision on this board far exceeds mine, as the thousands of members attest.

Edited by Peace