Questions and tips about the new board...

SDS

I hate to chime in with a critical thought, but I find myself turned off by the difficulty in differentiating between "grey" threads and "red" ones. The tabs poking out from behind the all blue folders just aren't doing it. When I pull up the front page, it's all sort of a wash to me, everything looks the same. At first glance I can't determine where the "hot" threads be, and I don't like having to hunt them down.

+1

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all over this thread already.

http://forums.twobil...ost__p__1943185

Granted, it's a silly thread...

I wonder, without criticizing if:

(1) There could be a feature where only the thread-starting post could include a video

(2) The thread-starting post could contain a tag to allow vids and images in the thread

These may not be available features.

As I may be in the minority of people not wanting vids, images (I even hate emoticons), feel free to disregard. Your vision on this board far exceeds mine, as the thousands of members attest.

those features are not built in.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=forums

to eliminate emoticons.

As for the rest... can we just chill? It is day three.

I hate to chime in with a critical thought, but I find myself turned off by the difficulty in differentiating between "grey" threads and "red" ones. The tabs poking out from behind the all blue folders just aren't doing it. When I pull up the front page, it's all sort of a wash to me, everything looks the same. At first glance I can't determine where the "hot" threads be, and I don't like having to hunt them down.

You really used that feature?

Here's another one, Scott.

It seems like only our posts from the last calendar year have been preserved…am I correct that this is the case?

no... We have 1.9 million posts here dating back to 2004 I believe. We are missing a years worth of data though due to a hard drive failure.

When I have tried to put a + on a couple of posts today, I got a message screen that said the action Failed because I voted to vote the post up too many times today. Sorry if this is already mentioned in this thread I am kind of busy today and have no time to go though all the pages right now.

Also, will we be able to ignore some users with the ignore button if we are using Google Chrome now? I had to use IE to do this in the past and I hate IE with a passion.

no... We have 1.9 million posts here dating back to 2004 I believe. We are missing a years worth of data though due to a Rosen failure.

Let's call a spade a spade shall we?

One additional question...I feel like people think I'm stupid when I edit a post because it now automatically gets the 'edited by' tag. In the good old days I could edit a post without anyone knowing it and I was perceived as smarter.

Am I stuck with people knowing how stupid I am, or can a check box be added to allow my edits to remain transparent?

When I have tried to put a + on a couple of posts today, I got a message screen that said the action Failed because I voted to vote the post up too many times today. Sorry if this is already mentioned in this thread I am kind of busy today and have no time to go though all the pages right now.

Also, will we be able to ignore some users with the ignore button if we are using Google Chrome now? I had to use IE to do this in the past and I hate IE with a passion.

SDS has mentioned, a number of times, that the reputation feature (that's the + and -) is not yet functional.

Let's call a spade a spade shall we?

One additional question...I feel like people think I'm stupid when I edit a post because it now automatically gets the 'edited by' tag. In the good old days I could edit a post without anyone knowing it and I was perceived as smarter.

Am I stuck with people knowing how stupid I am, or can a check box be added to allow my edits to remain transparent?

I did this because one of your fellow posters went off on me because they reported a post, it was later edited by the OP, and then I was accused of covering up for them. So now, people can see if a post has changed and it causes less confusion.

I did this because one of your fellow posters went off on me because they reported a post, it was later edited by the OP, and then I was accused of covering up for them. So now, people can see if a post has changed and it causes less confusion.

Reasonable.

Guess I'll have to live with the nowledge that people think I'm rediculous when I'm at my 'best'.

I have implemented a quick and dirty hack that strips the word "youtube" from replies. If I can find the right regex that strips the entire URL - I'll implement that. But for right now - it is a hatchet that will remove all youtube references, url or not, and it will prevent videos from being shown multiple times.

Some of you can go back to sleeping at nights now... :thumbsup:

I have implemented a quick and dirty hack that strips the word "EMBEDDED VIDEO STRIPPED" from replies. If I can find the right regex that strips the entire URL - I'll implement that. But for right now - it is a hatchet that will remove all EMBEDDED VIDEO STRIPPED references, url or not, and it will prevent videos from being shown multiple times.

:worthy:

Who's better than you, Fearless Leader?

They said you were a heartless, uncaring dictator that couldn't give one rat's ass about the poor user, and they were WRONG!

Do people really take things that seriously? Yeah, I know the answer already, but that is just plain pathetic.

Ok, do an F5 refresh.

What is a "hot topic" anyway? 15 posts? 20? Other?

Ok, do an F5 refresh.

What is a "hot topic" anyway? 15 posts? 20? Other?

Wow, this may seem like a cosmetic feature to you, but it goes a LONG way in enhancing my experience of the board. Thanks!!

I think it's 15. But since I show the max posts per page, when on the main page, at glance, there's no way to differentiate between a 2 response thread from a 38 response thread that hasn't kicked into page 2 yet.

Wow, this may seem like a cosmetic feature to you, but it goes a LONG way in enhancing my experience of the board. Thanks!!

I think it's 15. But since I show the max posts per page, when on the main page, at glance, there's no way to differentiate between a 2 response thread from a 38 response thread that hasn't kicked into page 2 yet.

I know what a hot topic is, but how should we define it? See the new thread I posted on this...

SDS has mentioned, a number of times, that the reputation feature (that's the + and -) is not yet functional.

Thanks dean yeah, I kind of figured it was here but as I said I had no time to read all of this at the time :unsure:

SDS great job ! btw

I have implemented a quick and dirty hack that strips the word "youtube" from replies. If I can find the right regex that strips the entire URL - I'll implement that. But for right now - it is a hatchet that will remove all youtube references, url or not, and it will prevent videos from being shown multiple times.

Zzzzzzzzz

Thanks.