Don't be shy - the new board won't bite!

SDS

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you young people and all this change. Good Oatmeal, 1% milk, apple sauce, perhaps a rampage of chocolate milk and cookie eating once in a while, but all this hard for a simple poor old man. :blush:. It does seem very nice though, perhaps once I have figured out the last change I can begin to understand this one.

Good for you Scott, the "Wall" does endure .....:)

well, the tags used for that were deprecated. What used to take 2 words now needs javascript or invalid code to work. The issue is what do people do who don't want a new window/tab? They have no choice.

A good point about the people who don't want a new window or tab. That said, I'm still not 100% convinced the W3C should have deprecated that tag. I'd like to see web developers retain the option of having links open in new tabs by default.

But I realize there's nothing TBD or those who created the new board software can reasonably do about the situation until or unless the W3C changes its stance.

For those not familiar with this sort of thing: the Word Wide Web Consortium--the W3C for short--is a nonprofit, international organization responsible for establishing standards for the Internet. If they deprecate (discourage use of) a given HTML tag, then sooner or later software companies that create browsers will stop supporting that tag. Not only that, but website owners avoid deprecated tags the way that linguists avoid grammatical errors. Most good website owners believe in some variant of the theme of seeking technical correctness, as defined by the W3C. That's a good thing, because both web browsers and websites should be standards-compliant.