Don't be shy - the new board won't bite!

SDS

I started posting my response before I saw people were having problems inserting images. Sorry. I just meant Scott's image was working.

As for being able to insert images in this forum, I have always been steadfastly against that option (so I didn't even try to do it, as I didn't know we regular peons had that ability). But I have to say, if the previews are small (like the one in this thread) it's a pretty nice option. I just hope it doesn't get overused by the mooks.

Yeah I was just in tester mode. See my edit for my opinion. I am against images as an option. The ability to disable them changes my mind.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks nice Scott, but to confirm San Jose did used to have an avatar, as did I. No biggie, I can always find another pic of Cobra Commander. :P

I don't see anyone's avatar, including mine, except for Dean's. And San Jose did have an avatar. Do we all need to reload images?

Edited by Green Lightning

I still get the error message "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. " when I click on the Insert Image button and paste in the URL. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Frankly, not sure I like the idea of adding in images, unless there is an option to turn them off. I don't want my boss to wander in and see me looking at pics of naked women that some ass uploaded.

well, what extension are you trying? You can trun images off, although that hits emoticons as well.

The penalties for adult images will be harsh. Very harsh.

I started posting my response before I saw people were having problems inserting images. Sorry. I just meant Scott's image was working.

As for being able to insert images in this forum, I have always been steadfastly against that option (so I didn't even try to do it, as I didn't know we regular peons had that ability). But I have to say, if the previews are small (like the one in this thread) it's a pretty nice option. I just hope it doesn't get overused by the mooks.

the previews are small (100 x 100 max). There will be NO images in signatures. It works really well with the tamer SabreSpace crowd.

Did you just paste in the url?

ok... we don't allow external links to become displayed images, so that icon won't work and should be removed. You have to attach an image using the attachments section below the post box.

well, what extension are you trying? You can trun images off, although that hits emoticons as well.

Sorry if I was not clear, I get that error message when clicking on the Insert Image button. I then pasted in the URL to a picture. Is that the incorrect way to do it?

Also, I want to give you money, please let me know how to do so. Send me a PM if necessary.

I don't have permission to view this attachment?

This link launches in the current tab. I think all links, even TSW threads, used to launch in a new tab. For what it's worth, I like the new tab better.

I'd rather the individual user have control over that -- if you want a new tab, it's easy to open in a new tab with browser commands. For those who don't, they don't have to (there's no way to not do it if it's programmed into the board).

My opinion, anyway. :)

I'd rather the individual user have control over that -- if you want a new tab, it's easy to open in a new tab with browser commands. For those who don't, they don't have to (there's no way to not do it if it's programmed into the board).

You obviously work with individuals that understand computers. I do not have that luxury.

Since I regularly use my wheel button to go to a new tab, and have my browser configured to go to that tab immediately, I have no issue with how links work now. It won't be a problem for me. (I actually usually middle clicked links in this forum even though I didn't have to. Reflex, I guess.)

But one of the things I have noticed from conducting website usability research, and from dealing with basic computer using clients, is most don't know this. When they click on a link and it takes their tab away from the current page, they often get frustrated. Many don't immediately return to the original site/page. It still can frustrate low-level users when a new window or tab launches, but that seems to be a very minor concern, as most have figured that out.

I think Fearless Leader is correct when he says "that's the way the web is going" as more and more people figure out the options they have with their mice and browser settings. But, IMO, the masses haven't caught up quite yet.

Since I regularly use my wheel button to go to a new tab, and have my browser configured to go to that tab immediately, I have no issue with how links work now. It won't be a problem for me. (I actually usually middle clicked links in this forum even though I didn't have to. Reflex, I guess.)

But one of the things I have noticed from conducting website usability research, and from dealing with basic computer using clients, is most don't know this. When they click on a link and it takes their tab away from the current page, they often get frustrated. Many don't immediately return to the original site/page. It still can frustrate low-level users when a new window or tab launches, but that seems to be a very minor concern, as most have figured that out.

I think Fearless Leader is correct when he says "that's the way the web is going" as more and more people figure out the options they have with their mice and browser settings. But, IMO, the masses haven't caught up quite yet.

Excellent post

Scott,

When I edited my original post using the quick editor, it didn't have the checkbox option to add the 'edited by' tag.

I was going to check to see if I could do it using the full editor a few minutes later, and now it doesn't appear to give me the option to edit the post any more. Only the 'delete' 'reply' and 'multiquote' boxes are showing for me (post 46 in this thread).

[edit] It is letting me go back into this post to edit, but isn't giving the option of the 'edited by' tag. If after I post this edit, I can't get back into the post, I'll add a reply in the 'questions' thread.

[edit] It is allowing me to edit in 'quick edit'; I used the 'full editor' for the earlier edit in this post.

[edit]But I still can't edit post 46 (not that I want to, just testing out the new toy). Is there a time limit on making edits?Nevermind. I saw your reply below after this most recent edit.

Edited by Taro T

Scott,

When I edited my original post using the quick editor, it didn't have the checkbox option to add the 'edited by' tag.

I was going to check to see if I could do it using the full editor a few minutes later, and now it doesn't appear to give me the option to edit the post any more. Only the 'delete' 'reply' and 'multiquote' boxes are showing for me (post 46 in this thread).

I put a 30 minute time limit on the edit feature and now all edited posts will have that tag, so the checkbox is probably removed by default.

wow. This is going to take some getting used to.

I'm not sure I'm going to like all the thumbnail pics that will soon litter every other post. Can we have some sort of immediate suspension policy for people posting the pixie pan guy?

I do like the idea of the "reputation" system. Although, I'll wait to see how it works. Will we be able to see who's on "probation" or close to being banned or... just basically in trouble. I'd kinda like that, for some reason.

Nicely done. I'll graze a bit and get a better feel for now. Just really wanted to try posting to see how it felt. (I entered the Chat and it loaded fine - no one was there, but it seemed to be working).