Un-Bill-evable

Trent Edwards has been villified on this board as Captain Check down, and haveing no emotion. He throws maybe the best pass of his NFL career after a beautiful play fake. 70 yards TD Lee Evans. Then wow he shows emotion and looks genuinely pumped, chest bumping and high fiveing his teammates. All after taking a hugh hit. Passer rating of well over 100. I guess there is nothing that will makes some people happy on this board.

UN-BILL-EVIABLE

Trent Edwards has been villified on this board as Captain Check down, and haveing no emotion. He throws maybe the best pass of his NFL career after a beautiful play fake. 70 yards TD Lee Evans. Then wow he shows emotion and looks genuinely pumped, chest bumping and high fiveing his teammates. All after taking a hugh hit. Passer rating of well over 100. I guess there is nothing that will makes some people happy on this board.

UN-BILL-EVIABLE

:thumbsup: It's been that way since the days of Flutie vs Johnson...

One preseason game is not enough. He has to show more throughout the entire season. He shows flashes, then he falls apart. He has to become more consistent. It was a nice throw.

I liked the three running back set to setup up a bomb. I hope we will continue to see more creativity from Gailey & Co. It is refreshing compared the DJ.

UN-BILL-EVIABLE

It's preseason. Trent will have his moments, as he does in real games. But depend on him as the starter and he will make you throw things at the TV in the long run.

Brohm should start next week. I will concede that Trent looked composed enough to pass Fitz on the depth chart but Brohm looked so good, he should be given the opportunity to win the job. That's what Gailey promised us when he got his.

So far in two games Fitz outplayed Trent in the first and Brohm outplayed Trent in the second. Not sure why he should start the third.

UN-BILL-EVIABLE

Get his bust ready for the HOF because he hit a WR who didnt have a defender within 10 yards of him...LMAO.

What else did he do that game? For starters, the second series should have been an INT but the CB dropped it when he threw to a completly blanketed Evans who wasnt remotely open. We of course went 3 and out as well.

One play, whether it is good or bad does not define a players ability. Every single QB in the NFL, and I mean everyone from the starter down to the guys on practice squads, could have made that throw to Lee. I 100% gurantee you I could have even completed that throw which was a 40 yard pass or so.

And as far as your emotion comments, that is actually just highlighting the problems with Trent. His mental game folds under adversity and he needs everything to go his way to play with confidence and show emotion out there. He needs things like Lee running wide open to take chances and make big plays.

People pick sides and then they care more about being right than the team. If Trent or Maybin got cut tomorrow half of the board would be thrilled regardless of the effects on the team. They would be able to post that they are right!

Your post is the typical defense that posters say who have run out of excuses to justify bad play...

Personally, I dont think Trent is good enough...but I really do hope he proves me wrong as its nothing personal on him, just his play I cant stand. I would like nothing more than him or one of the other QB's to step up and be a good NFL QB...I just have very little faith at all in Trent to be able to do that. His tendency to fold the tent in adversity are things that normally dont change once they show their face in a players game...

His game reminds me of the old Jim Everett once he lost his nerve or Cougar in Top Gun...

Your post is the typical defense that posters say who have run out of excuses to justify bad play...

Personally, I dont think Trent is good enough...but I really do hope he proves me wrong as its nothing personal on him, just his play I cant stand. I would like nothing more than him or one of the other QB's to step up and be a good NFL QB...I just have very little faith at all in Trent to be able to do that. His tendency to fold the tent in adversity are things that normally dont change once they show their face in a players game...

So what did you think of his play last night? Let me guess. "If you take out this play, or that play, he sucked." :thumbsup: This is my new favorite type of TBD "analysis"

UN-BILL-EVIABLE

I was a strong supporter of and believer in Trent in the beginning. Going into last night, I was among the majority of fans that was looking for Brohm to outshine #5. However, Edwards came up big when he had to, especially (as you mentioned) after taking a serious hit. So give Trent credit and hopefully he can continue to mature and improve.

I also give credit to Chan Gailey for handling this situation so far. Apparently he made up his mind after film review and OTA's that Trent was his best option. Following T.E.'s poor performance against Washington, Gailey didn't F with Trent's confidence by relegating him to second string in practice or the Indy game. He stuck with Edwards and publicly called out the O-line. Good move on Gailey's part. However one good PS game that included a 70 yard TD pass doesn't mean that Trent has finally arrived. He has to show improvement and consistency on a regular basis.

So what did you think of his play last night? Let me guess. "If you take out this play, or that play, he sucked." :thumbsup: This is my new favorite type of TBD "analysis"

His play last night was not that impressive to me. Was it his worst outing, of course not. But his game didnt exactly convince me that much has changed either. Watch the game rather than look at the stats. You take away the one long play to a wide open Lee and what exactly did he do that would really change someones mind about him as our starter?

For example, lets start with his second series...he went 3 and out. More telling was that he threw what should have been an INT to Lee who was not remotely open but it was dropped by the DB. Worse is that Trent chose to throw to Lee despite having someone wide open in between where Trent was and where he threw to Lee. So again, he demonstrated poor decision making and poor field vision.

Outside of the throw to Evans which was about as easy as it gets, what else really stands out? He still looked shaky and sometimes panicky in the pocket. So rather than mock those who arent convinced over one play, why dont you provide us with something he did OTHER than that easy throw to a wide open Lee Evans. Trent even said he just chucked it up hoping Lee could get to it...it was not that difficult of a pass.

And for those talking about him getting up after that hit...are you serious? It wasnt even that bad of a hit and it took him a bit to get up from it, but even so, who cares. Its the NFL, big hits happen all the time and these PROFESSIONALS get up after those hits and get back out there. How sad is it that we have to get excited about our fragile QB being able to come back out after taking a modest hit?

It's utterly ridiculous that people say other than the long ball he sucked. He had a great qb rating. Made some great plays and threw generally good passes. The long ball is part of the game. You can't exclude that factor when evaluating somebody's performance.

And for those talking about him getting up after that hit...are you serious? It wasnt even that bad of a hit and it took him a bit to get up from it, but even so, who cares. Its the NFL, big hits happen all the time and these PROFESSIONALS get up after those hits and get back out there. How sad is it that we have to get excited about our fragile QB being able to come back out after taking a modest hit?

There's been an increased awareness of head injuries in the league over the past few years. Concussions come easier every time after your first. Trent has had two that we know of and that makes him (more so than others) susceptible to being one good hit away from being out of the league. That was a pretty serious hit. His head hit the ground hard and he appeared to be dazed and slow to get up. I was actually surprised that he wasn't kept out of the game. So whether it was a good decision medically, I give Trent credit for showing some toughness for coming back and having a good night when a lot of people were calling for his head.

The Indy game alone was just a step in the right direction however. He needs to show that he can overcome his flaws and perform well consistently.

It's utterly ridiculous that people say other than the long ball he sucked. He had a great qb rating. Made some great plays and threw generally good passes. The long ball is part of the game. You can't exclude that factor when evaluating somebody's performance.

I like how they say if you take that play away he sucked. Well if you take Spillers TD run away he sucked too. He would have been 9-23. Let's cut Spiller. If he doesn't have a big play he blows. Brohm was great though. 5 yards per pass. Woohoo. Fitz had almost 5 yards per pass in the first preseason and he had a TD. Case close.

I like how they say if you take that play away he sucked. Well if you take Spillers TD run away he sucked too. He would have been 9-23. Let's cut Spiller. If he doesn't have a big play he blows. Brohm was great though. 5 yards per pass. Woohoo.

lol...BIG difference...Spiller play was an amzing and skillful play that not every RB in the NFL could have made. Trents pass was a ball (that he himself said he just chucked the ball hoping Lee could get to it) that any QB from high school to the NFL could have made. It was a 40 yard pass to a WR wide open downfiled because of blown coverage by the safety with no pressure on the QB.

The two plays are not even close to the same level in terms of difficulty...it was also Spillers first NFL action ever.

Granted, it was a great throw, but it was also as easy as it gets. Why do things need to be perfect for Trent to make a play? We arent going to get that kind of blown coverage but a few times a year, so what about the rest of the time?

lol...BIG difference...Spiller play was an amzing and skillful play that not every RB in the NFL could have made. Trents pass was a ball (that he himself said he just chucked the ball hoping Lee could get to it) that any QB from high school to the NFL could have made. It was a 40 yard pass to a WR wide open downfiled because of blown coverage by the safety with no pressure on the QB.

The two plays are not even close to the same level in terms of difficulty...it was also Spillers first NFL action ever.

Granted, it was a great throw, but it was also as easy as it gets. Why do things need to be perfect for Trent to make a play? We arent going to get that kind of blown coverage but a few times a year, so what about the rest of the time?

Yeah let's ignore all that arm tackling especially that safety. That wouldn't support you incorrect position. Also, that pass was more than 45 yards in the air, and no most QB's don't complete that.

There's been an increased awareness of head injuries in the league over the past few years. Concussions come easier every time after your first. Trent has had two that we know of and that makes him (more so than others) susceptible to being one good hit away from being out of the league. That was a pretty serious hit. His head hit the ground hard and he appeared to be dazed and slow to get up. I was actually surprised that he wasn't kept out of the game. So whether it was a good decision medically, I give Trent credit for showing some toughness for coming back and having a good night when a lot of people were calling for his head.

The Indy game alone was just a step in the right direction however. He needs to show that he can overcome his flaws and perform well consistently.

I see your point, so out of fairness, I went back to watch the play again. I mean having played LB I am probably a little biased on what is considered a big hit, so I watched it a couple of times just now.

I still feel like the hit itself was not really big hit, more of a moderate shot, but I do see your point about his head hitting the turf and that it was hard enough to be a concern for someone with previous concussion issues. That being said, how can we count on a QB who can barely take that hit? This is the NFL and he will get hit harder than that, especially with this O Line trying gel, so how is he ever going to last as a QB if every decent hit can potentially knock him out of the game?

Yeah let's ignore all that arm tackling especially that safety. That wouldn't support you incorrect position. Also, that pass was more than 45 yards in the air, and no most QB's don't complete that.

I think it was more like 40, but that doesnt matter...Please show me one QB on any NFL roster that cant throw a ball 45 yards...Chad Pennington who is said to have the weakest arm in football can easily throw it 45 yards...

Heck, I can throw the ball 45 yards with no problem, how can an NFL QB not make that throw?

I think it was more like 40, but that doesnt matter...Please show me one QB on any NFL roster that cant throw a ball 45 yards...Chad Pennington who is said to have the weakest arm in football can easily throw it 45 yards...

Heck, I can throw the ball 45 yards with no problem, how can an NFL QB not make that throw?

Sure you can. That ball was thrown on a rope 45 yards. Half the guys in the NFL do not make that play and hanging it up like JP used to would have allowed the defense time to react. That was a beautiful throw.

Sure you can. That ball was thrown on a rope 45 yards. Half the guys in the NFL do not make that play and hanging it up like JP used to would have allowed the defense time to react. That was a beautiful throw.

Again, please show me just one NFL QB who cant thorw that 40 to 45 yard pass...all I want is one. I mean the weakest arm in the game by popular vote is Chad Pennington and he has made that throw many times, even after several surgeries to his throwing arm.

And unless you threw it so high it resembled a punt, no DB was going to get there as no one was remotely close to being able to make a play on that ball.

His play last night was not that impressive to me. Was it his worst outing, of course not. But his game didnt exactly convince me that much has changed either. Watch the game rather than look at the stats. You take away the one long play to a wide open Lee and what exactly did he do that would really change someones mind about him as our starter?

For example, lets start with his second series...he went 3 and out. More telling was that he threw what should have been an INT to Lee who was not remotely open but it was dropped by the DB. Worse is that Trent chose to throw to Lee despite having someone wide open in between where Trent was and where he threw to Lee. So again, he demonstrated poor decision making and poor field vision.

Outside of the throw to Evans which was about as easy as it gets, what else really stands out? He still looked shaky and sometimes panicky in the pocket. So rather than mock those who arent convinced over one play, why dont you provide us with something he did OTHER than that easy throw to a wide open Lee Evans. Trent even said he just chucked it up hoping Lee could get to it...it was not that difficult of a pass.

The first play of the game he looked very good. He went back to pass, didn't see anyone open, was flushed out, rolled to his right still looking downfield and then threw an accurate pass to Roscoe for 11 yards and a first down. That was a damn decent play.

Another time he felt the rush and decided to run up the middle and got 4-5 yards out of what could have been a sack.

Another time he was rushed and avoided it and threw a screen sidearm to Spiller that only got 2 yards but avoided a sack or incompletion.

The pass that Stevie Johnson was both interfered on and dropped right in his hands was a great throw, and one Edwards doesn't even try most of the time let alone put right on the money.

Dude, that was not a rope. :thumbsup:

Yep, that was a great throw, Lee didn't have to break his stride. I don't know if every QB hit that pass, or are supposed to hit that pass, but Edwards did it and it counts for 6 points.

He also had a beautifull pass to Johnson that he couldn't hang on because of PI. The only pass that I didn't like was the one to Evans in the 1st half. What was ironic about that pass is that he should have checked down to McIntyre and he would have had an easy 1st down.

I just rewatched the play, Edwards let go on his 23 and hit Evans at Indys 25. So 52 yards in the air, on a rope. Pennington can't, Brohm can't Fitz can't make that throw.

**** Fitz hit Owens in Jacksonville last year with a 98 yarder where the ball traveled 50+ yards and TO was covered and Fitz had all kinds of pressure with guys in his grill. So yeah Fitz and anyone else on an NFL roster could do what Trent did last night.

**** Fitz hit Owens in Jacksonville last year with a 98 yarder where the ball traveled 50+ yards and TO was covered and Fitz had all kinds of pressure with guys in his grill. So yeah Fitz and anyone else on an NFL roster could do what Trent did last night.

Yep. And Trent actually said in the postgame that he threw it as far as he could, or at least he said the play was one where he just drops back and throws it as far as he can.

Fitz just looks so bad sometimes that you forget he actually has a decent arm. I don't think any of the three stands out as having a stronger arm than the other ones. All of them have decent arms and can "make every throw" -- but none of them have close to a cannon arm. At different reports, from decent reporters, I have seen each of the three described as "having the strongest arm".

I just rewatched the play, Edwards let go on his 23 and hit Evans at Indys 25. So 52 yards in the air, on a rope. Pennington can't, Brohm can't Fitz can't make that throw.

You must not have watched closely as I have the game on pause and the ball is in Lees hands with his front foot standing on the 29 yard line making it a 48 yard pass.

None of this matters, I never said it wasnt a good pass, it was a great pass, I just said that it wasnt a difficult pass given how open Lee was and how much time Trent had...he better make that pass. I said yesterday that he made a great pass, but even Trent said he just chucked it, so for me it wasnt that difficult of a pass to all of a sudden change my opinnion of his other many short comings.

I dont care if he can hit a WR wide open, I care if he can hit WR's who are open but in tighter coverage...I care if he can move in the pocket, not give up on plays, see the open guys, make good decisions, not fold under pressure, etc. And I didnt see anything the rest of the game to really make me think he has turned a corner, especially that second series which was awful.

Brohm showed potential, still needs more playing time to get his timing and rhythm, but he showed me enough to want to see what he can do with the starters.

I hope Trent does well and we find a QB as i do not want to blow a first rounder on a QB if I don't have to. If we do that, then its three MORE years before we have a winning record (forget the playoffs, ralph and the bills will be gone before that happens.

UN-BILL-EVIABLE

True. But he has to earn fans trust with consistency. He can't go belly up next week against the Bengals. But you are right at this point people just will not buy into him as a default position. I heard people dogging the Oline after the game. They weren't perfect and never will be nor will any other teams line be perfect. All will give up sacks and or pressure. Aaron Rodgers got sacked. I've seen Romo sacked and Favre too. Newsflash, if the Bills had have run some blitzes in the first quarter Manning was ripe for the plucking. The line has done ok. Not great, but they look better than last year when every play was a jail break. I thought D. Bell did well against Freeney in particular. But there were folks who said he didn't play well.

Until they win it will be unreasonable on the boards.

......Let's hope that he can sustain it when the games actually *mean something*........ :devil:

Exactly. Yeah, it was a nice pass. BFD. He's thrown a few before on occasion. The question is, can he consistently play well over the course of a 16 game season and when we're not judging him on one pass, but on the basis of about 500? I hope he can, but based upon his past, I have my doubts.

UN-BILL-EVIABLE

What about the two near interceptions he threw? He still is Capt Checkdown and yeah, he showed emotion. Big whoop? How about him handling a blitz, or throwing passes between 10-20 yards to get 1st downs? When he can do that REGULARLY, then I'll believe.

Both Fitz and Brohm do that now. Hell, my dead grandmother could have hit Evans on that blown coverage.