Preseason game 2 Colts @ Bills "Gameday" thread

Skoobydum

The Bills will be anxious to put the performance in their preseason opener last week behind them with an improved outing against the Colts Thursday night in Toronto (Kickoff 7:30 pm). After a game in which there were big plays surrendered, pre-snap penalties and turnovers Buffalo’s head coach wants tighter execution.

“We’re still in the process of crawling before you walk, walk before you run,” said Chan Gailey. “We’re still in the crawl-walk stage of installation and putting in what we’re trying to get done here. It’s a process, it’s not going to happen (quickly). And if you think that in the first game, you’re going to go out there and look like a million bucks, no (you’re not going to).

“There were some positives to take out of the first game so I’m looking forward to seeing if we can take the next step. That’s the goal, to take the next step.”

Playing time

Buffalo’s starters on offense and defense are expected to see slightly more time than they did in the first preseason game, which in many cases was a quarter and a half. Expected to see the most work is top draft pick C.J. Spiller.

With top backs Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch out with injuries, Spiller will get the lion’s share of the work out of Buffalo’s backfield Thursday night.

“It is what it is. You can’t control that,” Gailey said. “I hate it happening to both of them for their sake and for our team’s sake. It’s an opportunity for someone else to show what they can do, and it gives a great opportunity to take a good look at C.J. He missed some camp anyway so this is a way for him to get some extra reps.”

Spiller maintains he’s ready to take on a greater rushing load.

“I just have to be ready with however many reps that I’m getting. It doesn’t matter to me if I have to play the whole game I will,” Spiller said. “It’s football. It’s what I love to do. I haven’t talked to them about how many (reps) I’m going to take. I’ve just got to prepare myself as if I’ll play the whole game.”

Spiller will be followed in the running back rotation by Chad Simpson, Joique Bell and newcomer Andre Anderson, who signed on Monday.

QB rotation

In the first preseason game Ryan Fitzpatrick was the first quarterback in after Trent Edwards’ night was over against Washington, while Brian Brohm did not make an appearance. Again Indianapolis Thursday night, Brohm will be the first quarterback in after Edwards.

“Trent will start and then we’ll put Brian Brohm in the game and then if there’s some snaps left, Levi Brown will play,” said Gailey. “Fitz (Ryan Fitzpatrick) won’t play in this one. He played last week and Brian didn’t play. And we thought, instead of trying to get Fitzpatrick a few plays, Brohm a few plays, Levi Brown a few plays, it was better to just sit one and let the other two guys play and see where it goes from there. And let a guy have an extended playing time on the field.”

“It’s going to be fun to get out there and get on the field in live action,” said Brohm. “It’s going to be my first game action of the year, so it’s always good to get out there and get that first throw under your belt and hopefully be able to get in a good rhythm and hopefully execute all the things we’ve been practicing.”

Lineup changes

Thursday night could be the first time this preseason that the projected starting offensive line takes the field as one unit. Left tackle Demetrius Bell and right guard Eric Wood are expected to see their first live action coming off lengthy knee and leg rehabilitations in the offseason.

“I probably will (play)," said Wood. "I’d imagine I’ll get some playing time this week. I don’t know how much it’ll be and you know we’re still just taking it slow. We’ve got a lot of time before Miami. We’ll do what’s necessary this week. I’m excited to get back out on the field and play against somebody with a different jersey. It may not be too much, it may be a bunch. I’m up for whatever and I’ll let coach make that decision.”

Right tackle Cornell Green is the only question mark heading into the game. He returned to practice on Monday after suffering a right knee injury the week before, but Gailey said he'll be a game day decision.

Buffalo may also have a few veterans on the defensive side of the ball back in the lineup even if it is only for a handful of plays.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...95-41a1389aee1b

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This Week's LineFAVORITE SPREAD UNDERDOG OVER/UNDER

Buffalo 4 Indianapolis 33

View expanded line information

2010 Trends (Pre Season)The Colts are 0-1 ATS.

The Colts have not played away.

The Colts are 0-1 ATS as the underdog.

The Colts have not been an away underdog.

The Bills are 0-1 ATS.

The Bills have not played at home.

The Bills are 0-1 ATS as the underdog.

The Bills have not been a home underdog.

Head to Head (Since 2001) IND BUF

SU 4-1-0 1-4-0

ATS 0-2-0 2-0-0

ATS @BUF 0-1-0 1-0-0

ATS: favored 0-1-0 1-0-0

ATS: underdog 0-1-0 1-0-0

Head to Head Matchups (Since 2001)Indianapolis leads 4-1

Jan 3, 2010 IND 7, BUF 30

Nov 12, 2006 IND 17, @BUF 16

Nov 23, 2003 IND 17, BUF 14

Nov 4, 2001 IND 30, BUF 14

Sep 23, 2001 IND 42, @BUF 26

Last 10 GamesIndianapolis

Opp Score Line O/U

NOR L 17-31 -4½ 57.0

NYJ W 30-17 -7½ 40.0

BAL W 20-3 -6 44.0

@BUF L 7-30 +7½ 32.0

NYJ L 15-29 -3 41.0

@JAC W 35-31 -3 43.5

DEN W 28-16 -6½ 43.5

TEN W 27-17 -6 47.0

@HOU W 35-27 -3 48.0

@BAL W 17-15 +1½ 44.5

The roads are safe, and so am I, hunkered down for the evening with a 1.75L jug of small-batch, hand-crafted, Pinnacle French vodka, fresh lemons, a good, sturdy, comfortable on-the-rocks glass, plenty of ice, and gallons of spring water.

Blood pressure is a reasonable 150-over-96, and have taken 2 aspirin to preempt the angina.

Looking forward to seeing if we're any better with the O-line intact, if the return of some injured players will bolster the D, how C.J. Spiller looks as a starter, and to getting Fanning-Fan Edwards out of the game early so we can all get a good look at what Brohm can do.

My prediction:

Our Brohm-Bomber-Led BuffTown/Lower Canada Football Bills -- 51

Former Baltimore Fly-by-Night-to-Indianapolis Immature Male Equines - 3

19 and 0 baby!!! :worthy:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :worthy:

I really can't afford to be drinking tonight. I've gotta coach double sessions all day tomorrow starting at 8am in some real heat. But this team is not watchable with a BAC below the legal limit.

Delegate!

My prediction:

Our Brohm-Bomber-Led BuffTown/Lower Canada Football Bills -- 51

Former Baltimore Fly-by-Night-to-Indianapolis Immature Male Equines - 3

19 and 0 baby!!! :rolleyes:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :worthy:

I freaking love you! :worthy::worthy:

150 over 96? THAT'S a Bills fan, I tell ya.

Salmon coming off the grill in 20. Check.

Malbec aerating. Check.

Four Tops cranking. Check.

CTV dialed in. Check.

Just need the Bills to do their part.

Malbec, huh? Interesting

I'm making my game drink decision right now. I had a couple of beers today so no beer. The bar is fairly empty, but I still have choices:

I have a bottle of Malbec. A bottle of a red blend from the Central Coast of Ca. A bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Vodka. Gin. Canadian Whiskey. Cognac (but not enough, I fear)

The liquor store is about a 10 minute round trip. So I have to go with what I got, or hit the road pronto.

So, what'll it be? I'll take suggestions for 5 or 10 minutes.

I'm leaning toward Whiskey (rocks/splash water) or Vodka w/diet iced tea.

Malbec, huh? Interesting

I'm making my game drink decision right now. I had a couple of beers today so no beer. The bar is fairly empty, but I still have choices:

I have a bottle of Malbec. A bottle of a red blend from the Central Coast of Ca. A bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Vodka. Gin. Canadian Whiskey. Cognac (but not enough, I fear)

The liquor store is about a 10 minute round trip. So I have to go with what I got, or hit the road pronto.

whiskey on the rocks

Salmon coming off the grill in 20. Check.

Just need the Bills to do their part.

Got the pizza place on speed dial.

Wine's plenty cold.

Hoping Justintv works tonight.

If it doesn't, I'll switch to the Pittsburgh Pirates and watch them march toward a 19th consecutive losing season. Yes I'm a fan of the Bills, Sabres and Pirates. What a sports trifecta.

If I can't snare an internet feed, I'll just wait till NFL network shows the game at 11. By then I should be drunk enough not to care.

Malbec, huh? Interesting

I'm in the same situation... I'm leaving now to pick up my alcoholic beverage for the evening.

Its my monthly poker tournament tonight, so I have my DVR set to watch it when I get home...cant wait to see the game. Being realistic, I dont need to see Brohm light it up considering its his first in game action in his 3rd offense in 3 years playing with mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers likely. What I do want to see is the kid show some pocket awareness (lord knows whoever our QB is this year they are going to need it), ability to step up and deliver a strike, some touch on the ball, leadership, and the moxy to play this position.

He needs to have a solid showing to really start pushing Trent for the #1 spot though. If Trent struggles again, then a solid outing I think earns Brohm a starting spot in the 3rd preseason game.

Its my monthly poker tournament tonight, so I have my DVR set to watch it when I get home...cant wait to see the game. Being realistic, I dont need to see Brohm light it up considering its his first in game action in his 3rd offense in 3 years playing with mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers likely. What I do want to see is the kid show some pocket awareness (lord knows whoever our QB is this year they are going to need it), ability to step up and deliver a strike, some touch on the ball, leadership, and the moxy to play this position.

He needs to have a solid showing to really start pushing Trent for the #1 spot though. If Trent struggles again, then a solid outing I think earns Brohm a starting spot in the 3rd preseason game.

That would be very telling - I believe the penultimate preseason game is typically when the regular-season offense is installed, yes?