Gailey's thoughts on Brohm's strengths

bfw1234

Actually TE has been the most accurate in practice going long to Lee Evans

again I only saw 2 practices but I did see TE hit Evans deep on what was a slow motion pass rush and Evans had 10 yards on the corner...not a challenging throw for a pro QB; same practice Brohm was placing perfect fade throws for tds that were contested.. so who knows I only saw those two days

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/17/brohms-strengths/

Brohm’s strengths

Chris Brown

Posted August 17, 2010 – 6:33 am

Tags: 2010 preseason, Brian Brohm

Head coach Chan Gailey was asked to outline Brian Brohm’s strengths. Here was his response.

“He’s very smart. He know where to go with the football. He’s got good velocity on the ball. He just needs to work on continual accuracy,” said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue. He’s got good intelligence for football and understands defenses, which is part of playing quarterback, you’ve got to understand defense.”

Brohm will be the second quarterback in Thursday night in Toronto when the Bills face the Colts. Kickoff is set for 7:30 pm.

What seems strange is that Brohm's accuracy has been lauded by media covering OTAs and camp thus far - so BROHM - WIN THIS JOB!! If that's his only issue, then why isn't he starting!?! The other two have accuracy issues and several other issues each!!! If he has the fewest issues...then let's start and develop him!! WTF!!

You missed Gailey's follow-up comments; see below.

Brohm’s strengths

Chris Brown

Posted August 17, 2010 – 6:38 am

Head coach Chan Gailey was asked to elaborate on Brian Brohm’s strengths. Here was his response.

“He’s not Trent Edwards," said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue--trying to be Trent. He cannot be Trent Edwards, which is part of being an NFL-caliber quarterback. You’ve got to not be Trent Edwards."

Actually TE has been the most accurate in practice going long to Lee Evans

On plays where Lee has a huge gap between him and the defender and Trent doesnt have to worry about getting hit. For the last time, PRACTICE doesnt matter if you are not capable of doing it in a game...W/L records, yardage totals, TD's, etc dont get tallied from practice.

Trent gives up on plays too early for deep routes to develop in games...he doesnt have the vision to get the ball down field in games (probably because he panics to fast), and he is not very accurate on the deep ball in games (see the mile he over threw Steve Johnson on Friday who was wide open). And lets not forget how much air he puts on his deep ball allowing DB's to close in on the WR.

UNTIL he can start doing this in games, I dont want to hear about practice anymore like we have the last 2 years.

I am chomping at the bit to see Brohm play on Thursday. I see this game in Toronto as his big chance to show what he can do. I really have my fingers crossed. I believe he has great potential. But that potential has to show in on field performance.

:flirt:

FACE IT! Gailey is good with Trent, Fitz and Brohm...in that order. He was fine with it all off season, that's why they brought in nobody. I think it sucks as I've been watching Trent for 3 full years and Fitz for 2. It is a hard pill to swallow but Coach Chan thinks Trent can do the job. It will take a complete debacle to change his mind. You are just a wishful thinker if you think the depth chart will change at QB prior to the season. EVERYTHING Coach has said supports his current QB's, in the current pecking order. WE ARE STUCK WITH QB-CRAP THIS YEAR!

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/17/brohms-strengths/

Brohm’s strengths

Chris Brown

Posted August 17, 2010 – 6:33 am

Head coach Chan Gailey was asked to outline Brian Brohm’s strengths. Here was his response.

“He’s very smart. He know where to go with the football. He’s got good velocity on the ball. He just needs to work on continual accuracy,” said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue. He’s got good intelligence for football and understands defenses, which is part of playing quarterback, you’ve got to understand defense.”

Brohm will be the second quarterback in Thursday night in Toronto when the Bills face the Colts. Kickoff is set for 7:30 pm.

What seems strange is that Brohm's accuracy has been lauded by media covering OTAs and camp thus far - so BROHM - WIN THIS JOB!! If that's his only issue, then why isn't he starting!?! The other two have accuracy issues and several other issues each!!! If he has the fewest issues...then let's start and develop him!! WTF!!

What is going on here is that they chose to give Trent (the vet) the first chance to win this job because he played well enough in the OTA's to earn that shot. The other QB's are right on his heels though, but given Trents experience as a starter and the hopes the new regime could correct a lot of his flaws, they decided to give him first crack.

I firmly believe Fitz was given the go ahead in the first preseason game also because he earned that with a winning record last year and his experience. I also think they wanted our team to go out and get some work in before we threw our least experience QB in and that played a big part into the decision as well to sit Brohm last week and then letting him have it this week.

I dont think Trent should or will be our starter, but at the same time I understand he should get one more shot in the 2nd week as you cant grade a QB on the first preseason game of the year after installing a brand new offense and missing 3 starters on the O Line. I personally dont think he is capable of being a good NFL starter so I expect very little from him again this week, but I do understand why he is getting a shot to start this coming Thurs. I also would not be surprised to see Trent pullled quicker than he was last week if he is struggling to get Brohm in sooner and in with some of our starters.

If Trent sucks again this week and Brohm shows promise, then I think Brohm will start the 3rd preseason game to see what he does with the starters with Fitz and Trent getting some time behind him and Brown likely not playing much or at all.

Its you that has a crush on Dakota Fanning Senator, maybe you should join her fan club :flirt:

Fanning this, Fanning that, but I know, I know, your not a fan of the club...

Nope - sorry dog, but I don't pay homage to DF like Fanning-Fan Edwards does on the Stanford web site...

link (still think it's pretty effin' weird for a 22 y.o. PAC 10 QB to name a 10-year-old as his "favorite actress")

...nor does she meet the 'half-your-age-plus-seven' requirement - tho in my case, it's actually

('half-your-age-plus-seven') minus 10

Like Hugh Hefner, I do like 'em young - but at least old enough to drink legally! :censored:

You missed Gailey's follow-up comments; see below.

Brohm’s strengths

Chris Brown

Posted August 17, 2010 – 6:38 am

Head coach Chan Gailey was asked to elaborate on Brian Brohm’s strengths. Here was his response.

“He’s not Trent Edwards," said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue--trying to be Trent. He cannot be Trent Edwards, which is part of being an NFL-caliber quarterback. You’ve got to not be Trent Edwards."

So Chan thinks 'part of being an NFL-caliber quarterback is not being Trent Edwards' ??? :huh:

I really don't understand the 'gist' of that statement - as if Brohm or ANY aspiring NFL QB would try to emulate Trent Edwards??? :wacko:

"You've got to 'not be Trent Edwards' " ??? :censored:

Interesting. In that case, we may see the last of Trent Thursday nite. :flirt:

I dont think Trent should or will be our starter, but at the same time I understand he should get one more shot in the 2nd week as you cant grade a QB on the first preseason game of the year after installing a brand new offense and missing 3 starters on the O Line. I personally dont think he is capable of being a good NFL starter so I expect very little from him again this week, but I do understand why he is getting a shot to start this coming Thurs. I also would not be surprised to see Trent pullled quicker than he was last week if he is struggling to get Brohm in sooner and in with some of our starters.

If Trent sucks again this week and Brohm shows promise, then I think Brohm will start the 3rd preseason game to see what he does with the starters with Fitz and Trent getting some time behind him and Brown likely not playing much or at all.

Trent probably shouldn't, you're right, but I can't see unless someone drastically outplays him that he will not be the starter week one. I know everyone is excited to see Brohm, but do we really think he can do anything with the second unit. I hate having to say "when I saw him in camp" because I'm not a scout, but he does nothing special the other three can't do. It sucks, but we're stuck with three back-ups and one unknown. On the other hand, that would be refreshing to see Chan actually give him a shot with the starters if he drastically outplayed Trent and Fitz (on tape) this Thursday. That would at least prove to me that there is indeed an open comp. still going on in camp.

FACE IT! Gailey is good with Trent, Fitz and Brohm...in that order. He was fine with it all off season, that's why they brought in nobody. I think it sucks as I've been watching Trent for 3 full years and Fitz for 2. It is a hard pill to swallow but Coach Chan thinks Trent can do the job. It will take a complete debacle to change his mind. You are just a wishful thinker if you think the depth chart will change at QB prior to the season. EVERYTHING Coach has said supports his current QB's, in the current pecking order. WE ARE STUCK WITH QB-CRAP THIS YEAR!

I have to disagree with you here. This is NOT set in stone. Gailey just said it was still open.

http://www.wgr550.com/Open-QB-Job-Still--G...h-Yeah-/7924005

But I don't see it changing unless Brohm lights it up this week. If he can show show considerable improvement this week hopefully he'll be given a little more work the rest of the pre-season to have a chance to take the job over. One can only hope he makes the most of whatever reps he gets.

He also leads OTA's and camp thus far in interceptions... That is most likely why Gailey says he needs to work on continual accuracy and not just accuracy overall. When Brohm is off he is really off, when he's on target he's really on target.
Are there actual numbers out there somewhere or is this just from your observations?

I was going to ask the same question.

I've stated many times already and will repeat that, on Sept. 12, the QB 'pecking order' will be...

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

Bad Bad Levi Brown - #2 QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Clipboard

Trent Edwards - President - Dakota Fanning Fan Club, Los Gatos Chapter

Sure hope you are right!

You are selling Gailey short, if TE stinks up the joint in any more preseason games, he is a goner.

Brohm may not be the benefactor either, unless he really shines in his PS games. Fitz wins it by

default if that happens, probably with Brohm backing him, and Brown behind them.

I am chomping at the bit to see Brohm play on Thursday. I see this game in Toronto as his big chance to show what he can do. I really have my fingers crossed. I believe he has great potential. But that potential has to show in on field performance.

:flirt:

I'm chomping at the bit too. Because after Brohm ***** the bed in Toronto, all the Brohm fans will finally have to admit that he doesn't belong in the NFL.