OT-UB football camp

PTR, as our resident UB booster, do you think he's going to be able to build on what Gill started?

I'm no expert. Quinn certainly has a strong BCS coaching pedigree, probably the best resume of a UB coach ever. Also, as an aside, Quinn has already gotten a dozen decent commits for 2011.

On the downside, most of the 2008 championship players are gone. They are starting over with a new QB, who by the way, has not been selected. (Davis or Dennison) They are installing a spread offense.

I hate to be negative but I think 6-6 would be an achievement. But they may be pretty entertaining running the spread, and he's certainly instilling toughness.

There is a very good UB blog: www.UBBullRun.com. And the UB fan board is www.UBfan.com.

PTR

His coaching performance in place of UC HC Brian Kelly in the Sugar Bowl was putrid, to put it mildly. Absolutely clueless.

It was embarrassing but he did get thrown into that role, and it was against one of the best teams in the country. Who's to say Brian Kelly knew it would be ugly and left for South Bend and left Quinn holding the bag?

PTR

Not surprising, they get no respect from national media.

Rivals.com has their preseason ranking as 115 out of 120 BCS schools.

They're not that bad. Mid-70's maybe. But you know, the MAC is a coaches league. We'll see if Quinn has anything behind the rah rah.

PTR

I have mixed feelings. Are they reverting to their old "duckpin for hire" money-making scheme?

I think 2011 is an oddball year. UB tries to have one BCS game a year. But they also try to negotiate some home BCS games as well. Pitt, UCONN and Boston College are committed (for what that's worth) to games at UB in the future. The Tennessee game kind of fell out of the sky.

There are two sides to this coin. Yes, they are being a "duckpin-for-hire" as you colorfully put it. Maybe with the failure of the NYS legislature to adopt the UB2020 plan, the school needs a plan B to fund athletic expansion (such as the planned field house.)

But on the other hand it's a drawing card for players to have the chance to line up against the big boys. No one expects them to win but UB hung well with the last few BCS teams they played. Right now there are 5 former UB Bulls on NFL rosters. When they recruit it's good to show that you play schools people have heard of, and that players from your program go on to the NFL.

PTR

Not surprising, they get no respect from national media.

Rivals.com has their preseason ranking as 115 out of 120 BCS schools.

They were 5-7 last season and have new, first time head coach introducing a new offense to a team that lost a lot of starters. Why should they be rated any higher? Besides that, it's not where they start it's where they finish.

They were 5-7 last season and have new, first time head coach introducing a new offense to a team that lost a lot of starters. Why should they be rated any higher? Besides that, it's not where they start it's where they finish.

Agreed but they are hardly #5 from the bottom.

PTR