WGR again

jahbonas

I have a great idea! Stop listening to WGR. Every week someone posts this. Just get over it already.

That is the answer. But like any junkie you keep tuning in hoping they might surprise you with actual Bills analysis. I have pretty much sworn off 'GR but I was in Buffalo this past weekend and I couldn't help checking them out.

PTR

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can give WGR credit this morning at least the topic is the Bills game. In listening Howard states proudly he only watches the 1st half (this from the same guy who watches preseason hockey games that dont include sabres).

Whether the Bills played well or not....if you are going to speak to WNY for 4 hours on Monday - isnt it your job to at least watch the game you will be talking about??????

I've listened and liked Howard Simon forever and a day now...But I have to admit only watching a Half of Bills Football, Pre Season or not, is a bit ridiculous considering his Job...IMHO it's WAY too much Hockey talk period on WGR...But I do understand them being the Sabres partners and all...

Anyway I pretty much agree with you...They can definitely do better... :ph34r:

If only we could get Jim Brinson back.

:devil:

http://www.kswt.com/Global/story.asp?S=8277733

Jim Brinson is constantly on the move. I don't think there is an area in the country where he hasn't worked. What makes Jim B appealing is his charming and fun personality. The Bills being a long term mediocre team would have little negative impact on his engaging personality. When he was at Empire Sports he was always enjoyable to watch because it was so evident that he was having a good time. I remember on his last day on that show he wouldn't allow the other hosts to bring up the fact that he was leaving. That was the self-effacing type of person he genuinely was. He is the type of personality who wherever he was he would quickly adapt and be very happy. Quite a contrast to the prickly Mike Schoop!

http://www.kswt.com/Global/story.asp?S=8277733

Jim Brinson is constantly on the move. I don't think there is an area in the country where he hasn't worked. What makes Jim B appealing is his charming and fun personality. The Bills being a long term mediocre team would have little negative impact on his engaging personality. When he was at Empire Sports he was always enjoyable to watch because it was so evident that he was having a good time. I remember on his last day on that show he wouldn't allow the other hosts to bring up the fact that he was leaving. That was the self-effacing type of person he genuinely was. He is the type of personality who wherever he was he would quickly adapt and be very happy. Quite a contrast to the prickly Mike Schoop!

Come on now - Schopp is awesome. Remember the other day during Bills camp when they did their food draft? Schopp totally stuck up for ham when people were complaining about it being selected before mashed potatoes. :devil:

That is inexcusable. I watched the entire game and I live in Denver and don't host a Buffalo sports talk show. How can he break down the receiver position? Me and my buddies are now predicting Hardy gets cut outright. David Nelson is definitely making this football team. Alas, this is a conversation that Howard Simon could not intelligently partake in.

I think your right about Hardy, he is most def on the bubble.

Nelson either makes the team or is on the practice squad.

one more thing, how can the numbnuts on WGR break down the WR position if you don't watch the backups play in the second half? LOL

I can give WGR credit this morning at least the topic is the Bills game. In listening Howard states proudly he only watches the 1st half (this from the same guy who watches preseason hockey games that dont include sabres).

Whether the Bills played well or not....if you are going to speak to WNY for 4 hours on Monday - isnt it your job to at least watch the game you will be talking about??????

Maybe his paycheck should reflect his viewing attention span?

I think your right about Hardy, he is most def on the bubble.

Nelson either makes the team or is on the practice squad.

one more thing, how can the numbnuts on WGR break down the WR position if you don't watch the backups play in the second half? LOL

I'm busted up about Hardy.

How bad can Modrak truly be? I mean, the cat lives in FL, maybe all of these years he's been working for the Dolphins, directly sabotaging our picks to be horrid and fruitless.

Hardy looks terribly slow and awkward on the field. Not to mention that he has hardly seen the field because of injuries.

How can 1 team/ individual (Modrak) be consistently so bad at picking players?

Come on now - Schopp is awesome. Remember the other day during Bills camp when they did their food draft? Schopp totally stuck up for ham when people were complaining about it being selected before mashed potatoes. :devil:

I know right?

They seem to think this Draft stuff is the greatest thing ever. I seriously can't imagine how their Bosses allow that garbage on air as much as they do... I like a good laugh as much as anyone...Maybe more...But it's freaking Sports Talk guys...Enough with the stupid Drafts...I just can't listen to that crap anymore and I used to stream it every day...It's too much for me... :thumbsup:

I know right?

They seem to think this Draft stuff is the greatest thing ever. I seriously can't imagine how their Bosses allow that garbage on air as much as they do... I like a good laugh as much as anyone...Maybe more...But it's freaking Sports Talk guys...Enough with the stupid Drafts...I just can't listen to that crap anymore and I used to stream it every day...It's too much for me... :devil:

1230 WECK.

When the caliber of football is disdainful don't be surprised that the coverage is also disdainful.

What, do you work for WGR? Quit making excuses for a "sports" station that does food drafts instead of talking sports. If they are bored with covering an NFL team, move on to cover high school soccer in Ohio or get on a morning zoo music station and quit denying us sports fans of decent sports talk.

Only afternoon and evenings. And even Brad Riter is getting a fuzzy in his mission. Maybe sports, maybe news, maybe something else. He's missing a golden opportunity IMO.

PTR

Brad's not fuzzy on his mission. He said from the beginning, that his is not a sports show. When sports are interesting, he'll talk about that. When they're not, he'll talk about other things. Yesterday, I only heard a little, but it seemed the big subject was the multiple murders at the City Grille. I'd rather hear about that than the #5 receiver position for a team that is going to be horrible.

I did get a little breakdown on the Tony Kornheiser show, since that's a DC show. He, like me, could care less about preseason. But, he did have Barry Szrluga on, who talked about the game. And, Barry said that you have to temper your enthusiasm by noting that the Bills are so horrible they are easily going to be in the bottom 3 of the league. Tony was pretty sure that they are most likely the worst!

I usually defend GR when it comes to not talking non stop sports like you guys want. Way back, when I used to listen, I assumed most of these guys were in the press box. Then, I found out none of them even go to the games! I know Jeremy had seasons for a few years, but I don't think he does anymore......And, then from the sounds of the postgame, Shoop and the Bulldog watch the game on a 15 inch black and white TV!

Brad's not fuzzy on his mission. He said from the beginning, that his is not a sports show. When sports are interesting, he'll talk about that. When they're not, he'll talk about other things. Yesterday, I only heard a little, but it seemed the big subject was the multiple murders at the City Grille. I'd rather hear about that than the #5 receiver position for a team that is going to be horrible.

I did get a little breakdown on the Tony Kornheiser show, since that's a DC show. He, like me, could care less about preseason. But, he did have Barry Szrluga on, who talked about the game. And, Barry said that you have to temper your enthusiasm by noting that the Bills are so horrible they are easily going to be in the bottom 3 of the league. Tony was pretty sure that they are most likely the worst!

Well IMO when you are a little bit of everything, you wind up being nothing. I guess you really have to like Brad Riter.

PTR

I love when people get mad at WGR for not talking Bills and then when they do they get mad that they only have negative things to say. As someone earlier stated, when you suck for a decade, what's there to talk about? What positives can you mention? What analysis can you give?

My wife is a diehard Bills fan. Went to games since she was a toddler, has put countless dudes to shame with her football knowledge. Every year she bugs me to get seasons again or at least tickets to the opener. This is the first year that she didn't.

I applaud any fan that's excited for this year's team but the fact of the matter is the Bills aren't the Bills of old. Most people just don't care and most people don't want to talk about them because it's depressing. So I can't blame radio hosts because they are simply fans with a voice.

That is the answer. But like any junkie you keep tuning in hoping they might surprise you with actual Bills analysis. I have pretty much sworn off 'GR but I was in Buffalo this past weekend and I couldn't help checking them out.

PTR

I think a lot of people have. But WECK is not yet a full, viable alternative to WGR because much of their morning/afternoon coverage is not sports. WECK is getting there, but it is not there.

I tend to listen to/follow Nick Mendola, the Gooses Roost podcasts, Coach Sal, other WECK when I can. I'm 1,200 miles away from Buffalo so I'm also a little insulated, and also have other options.

Ever since Schopp/Bulldog tried the ploy of "It was unsportsmanlike to 'run the score up' on Miami" deal, I have purposely avoided their program. They create controversy, are contrarian and argumentative because it creates ratings. But I also consider it a sort of sleazy, lazy way to do their job, which is not to be simply radio talk show hosts, but sports radio talk show hosts.

But, point is, JohnC's argument is sort of ridiculous. Under no circumstance is there any requirement for a sports team to be good in order for the sports coverage to be good. It's a job, remember.