WGR again

jahbonas

I can give WGR credit this morning at least the topic is the Bills game. In listening Howard states proudly he only watches the 1st half (this from the same guy who watches preseason hockey games that dont include sabres).

Whether the Bills played well or not....if you are going to speak to WNY for 4 hours on Monday - isnt it your job to at least watch the game you will be talking about??????

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how incredibly stupid WGR is: They run promos knocking 97 Rock for playing music instead talking Bills. Then their own talk hosts come on the air and admit they barely pay attention to the team! It's flippin' ponderous!

PTR

I can give WGR credit this morning at least the topic is the Bills game. In listening Howard states proudly he only watches the 1st half (this from the same guy who watches preseason hockey games that dont include sabres).

Whether the Bills played well or not....if you are going to speak to WNY for 4 hours on Monday - isnt it your job to at least watch the game you will be talking about??????

That is inexcusable. I watched the entire game and I live in Denver and don't host a Buffalo sports talk show. How can he break down the receiver position? Me and my buddies are now predicting Hardy gets cut outright. David Nelson is definitely making this football team. Alas, this is a conversation that Howard Simon could not intelligently partake in.

This is how incredibly stupid WGR is: They run promos knocking 97 Rock for playing music instead talking Bills. Then their own talk hosts come on the air and admit they barely pay attention to the team! It's flippin' ponderous!

PTR

I listen to WGR through my computer. What I have noticed with Simon and his co-hosts in the morning and the ofternoon couple, Schoop and the Bulldo (both wretched) is a level of frustrastion and exasperation with the team. It has gotten to the point that there is a depleting "sameness" to reporting on this team that the radio guys just want to move on to something else.

While you are critical of the radio station for their lack of attention and enthusiasm toward the Bills I do understand where they are coming from. There comes a point at which what more can you say? The criticisms directed toward the team, organization and owner are the same criticisms that have been made for a decade straight.

What is most bad about the Bills is not that they are so much a bad team (which they are) but they are a very unentertaining and boring team. Trying to manufacture a fake on air enthusiasm when it doesn't exist rings very hollow.

The problem with WGR and the Bills has little to do with the coverage. The problem centers around the product on the field. Until that is upgraded the coverage is also going to be lackluster.

I listen to WGR through my computer. What I have noticed with Simon and his co-hosts in the morning and the ofternoon couple, Schoop and the Bulldo (both wretched) is a level of frustrastion and exasperation with the team. It has gotten to the point that there is a depleting "sameness" to reporting on this team that the radio guys just want to move on to something else.

While you are critical of the radio station for their lack of attention and enthusiasm toward the Bills I do understand where they are coming from. There comes a point at which what more can you say? The criticisms directed toward the team, organization and owner are the same criticisms that have been made for a decade straight.

What is most bad about the Bills is not that they are so much a bad team (which they are) but they are a very unentertaining and boring team. Trying to manufacture a fake on air enthusiasm when it doesn't exist rings very hollow.

The problem with WGR and the Bills has little to do with the coverage. The problem centers around the product on the field. Until that is upgraded the coverage is also going to be lackluster.

Then they can talk about how bad the team is. At least pretend like they're doing the job for which they're paid.

And it's not a matter of "what more can you say?". There's an entire NFL season on the way. As somebody in the sports talk industry, trust me, there's plenty to talk about. Most of the folks at WGR instead choose to pander to the attitude of most fans, which demands sarcastic denegration.

And yet we posters on the Stadium Wall never tire or run out of things to discuss. But the people who are paid to talk sports in Buffalo are too bored to to their jobs?? Sorry, but what a crock! There is PLENTY to talk about on the Bills. Heck we come up with dozens of topics a day! If The WGR hosts need a clue they should just come here.

PTR

I like Simon as a person. Seems like a good guy. I do agree with posters that get ticked off about his penchant for not watching full games or certain sports. I mean he is a host of a sports talk show and SHOULD make it his business to watch. It's not that big of a time drainer to DVR the games. I have 3 young kids and do it all the time. I can watch a 3 hr game in and hour or so. I'm sure many posters here do the same.

Also, I'm not an NBA fan but i hate when he (and other hosts) brag about not watching a game in "years". I mean don't you even want to be educated about your profession and what's going on out there in case someone wants to talk about it? It's not like watching other sports is studying for a physics exam. gimme a break.

Then they can talk about how bad the team is. At least pretend like they're doing the job for which they're paid.

And it's not a matter of "what more can you say?". There's an entire NFL season on the way. As somebody in the sports talk industry, trust me, there's plenty to talk about. Most of the folks at WGR instead choose to pander to the attitude of most fans, which demands sarcastic denegration.

The folks working at WGR do talk about the team. What they say is very forthright. The Bills' organization is very second rate. The performance on the field is not only bad but boring. It has been so for a very long time. The Bills simply are not a serious team in the league. To be blunt they are virtually irrelevant in the league.

If you watch tv or listen to the radio from a national perspective the Bills are little more than an afterthought. As a franchise they are very much ignored. I'm not trying to be cruel or mean-spirited. I'm not trying to ridicule this very troubled franchise. But the reality is that the Bills are to the NFL what the Pirates and the KC Royals are to major league baseball. They are now what they have been for a very long time, not a factor in the NFL. I do understand why factions in the local media struggle to be engaged with this team and franchise. It does get tiresome.

Um, It was the first preseason game, and if I remember we were down by 18 going into half time.

Garbage men probably get bored with the monotony of picking up garbage, too, but they don't get to skip whole neighborhoods. There is monotony in all work. The amount of complaining WGR does about having to talk about the Bills is unacceptable. I understand everyone is human and everyone has the right to be frustrated with their job.

But for a sports radio talk show host in Buffalo, NY (where there is so little work, let's remember), it is beyond lazy to complain about one of the most desirous gigs in town, its offensive. Privately, Simon, Schopp, Bulldog -- they don't have to like watching the Bills/talking about them, but they have to do it. That's their job. If it's not, and WGR is a Sabres-only station, that's fine too, but then they need to be upfront about it and act like it.

This "We'll cover the Bills but only disdainfully" thing is offensive, there's no other word for it.

Um, It was the first preseason game, and if I remember we were down by 18 going into half time.

Well, if last year and the first game are any indication, the guys we saw in the second half will be playing as much if not more than the opening day starters, sadly.

So it probably *would* be a good idea to get to know them and take a look at which ones might make the team.

When the caliber of football is disdainful don't be surprised that the coverage is also disdainful.

No, I am surprised, and upset by it. There is no such thing as "someone else isn't doing their job so why should I have to do mine?"

Well, I mean, there *is* such a thing, but its offensive. Especially when you're in a job that 80% of your customers probably would have rather than their own.

Garbage men probably get bored with the monotony of picking up garbage, too, but they don't get to skip whole neighborhoods. There is monotony in all work. The amount of complaining WGR does about having to talk about the Bills is unacceptable. I understand everyone is human and everyone has the right to be frustrated with their job.

But for a sports radio talk show host in Buffalo, NY (where there is so little work, let's remember), it is beyond lazy to complain about one of the most desirous gigs in town, its offensive. Privately, Simon, Schopp, Bulldog -- they don't have to like watching the Bills/talking about them, but they have to do it. That's their job. If it's not, and WGR is a Sabres-only station, that's fine too, but then they need to be upfront about it and act like it.

This "We'll cover the Bills but only disdainfully" thing is offensive, there's no other word for it.

Your comments are spot on. I agree. The Bills are the #1 thing to talk about right now. It's not difficult as a sports radio host in Buffalo to take in the game and be able to speak intelligently about it. It's a requirement and not a difficult task.

Your comments are spot on. I agree. The Bills are the #1 thing to talk about right now. It's not difficult as a sports radio host in Buffalo to take in the game and be able to speak intelligently about it. It's a requirement and not a difficult task.

If we can come up with dozens of thread topics on a daily basis then the WGR hosts ought to able to come up with one or two a day.

PTR

The radio hosts do talk about the Bills and the games. On this one particular occasion which the poster cited Howard Simon acknowledged that he watched only the beginning portion of the preseason game. I am not going to skewer him for that. I watched a portion of the game and then changed the channel.

The Bills are a very predictable team. You can accurately comment on them without having to watch a large portion of the game. The analysis of most of their games are very repetitive.

The radio hosts do talk about the Bills and the games. On this one particular occasion which the poster cited Howard Simon acknowledged that he watched only the beginning portion of the preseason game. I am not going to skewer him for that. I watched a portion of the game and then changed the channel.

The Bills are a very predictable team. You can accurately comment on them without having to watch a large portion of the game. The analysis of most of their games are very repetitive.

Not true. Part of pre-season is talking about which young players have a chance to make the team. You can't do that if you shut the games off.

PTR

Not true. Part of pre-season is talking about which young players have a chance to make the team. You can't do that if you shut the games off.

PTR

It was the first preseason game. Let's not inflate the importance of the game. Having a radio host miss part of the first practice game is of little consequence.

The Bills are a very bad team with a very hollow roster. You are going to have plenty of opportunities to watch wretched football. Someone taking a short break from watching garbage shouldn't be condemned. As a radio host he had some people on his show talking about the game. The analysis was the same as it has been for a very long time. His audience missed little because of him not watching the full game. Watching football futility does not have to be seen in its entirety to comprehend what it is.

It was the first preseason game. Let's not inflate the importance of the game. Having a radio host miss part of the first practice game is of little consequence.

The Bills are a very bad team with a very hollow roster. You are going to have plenty of opportunities to watch wretched football. Someone taking a short break from watching garbage shouldn't be condemned. As a radio host he had some people on his show talking about the game. The analysis was the same as it has been for a very long time. His audience missed little because of him not watching the full game. Watching football futility does not have to be seen in its entirety to comprehend what it is.

Somehow I think it's fitting that fans who follow a mediocre football team have an equally mediocre sports talk station. They are made for each other.

PTR