As a Native American

Wow...really...not so dude. I was born and raised in Malaysia. Recently naturalized. I'm sure there are more folks here who weren't American born. Why you had to make this statement is beyond me.

C

Okay, poor choice of words on my part. Let me rephrase :

I'm pretty sure almost everybody on this board was born on the North American continent

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd express myself and vent for a moment.

I can think of no more disrespectful and derogatory team name in all of American sport.

Could you imagine the Harlem Blackskins or the San Francisco Yellows?

I cringe every time I hear their name....oh well.

Since folks seem to have no problem with the Redskins, the Braves, or the Indians, I always wondered how people would react to, say, the 'Harlem Jigaboos', 'Chicago Polaks', 'Brooklyn Kykes', 'San Francisco Slopes', or 'Arizona Wetbacks' :thumbsup:

Myself, I refer the the Washington NFL team as

The Politically Incorrect Nicknamed DC-Area Native Americans Possessing Excessive Pheomelanin

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :nana:

As a German, I'm offended by "sauerkraut", and I demand it be renamed to "Unhappy Bavarian".

Or "Liberty cabbage", as it was called in the US during World War I (no, I am not making that up).

I don't doubt it. After all, this is the home of Freedom Fries. No joke, I played the French Horn, among other brass instruments, back in high school. Our band director, a crazy pseudo-patriot, insisted that we be referred to as the "Freedom Horn" section.

Okay, poor choice of words on my part. Let me rephrase :

I'm pretty sure almost everybody on this board was born on the North American continent

But still, what's your point? It's just the colloquial name of the collective people in America descended from the indigenous peoples. I don't think you're really educating anybody when you say that most of us were born here in America.

I don't doubt it. After all, this is the home of Freedom Fries. No joke, I played the French Horn, among other brass instruments, back in high school. Our band director, a crazy pseudo-patriot, insisted that we be referred to as the "Freedom Horn" section.

Blow it out your fesse. :thumbsup:

I can think of no more disrespectful and derogatory team name in all of American sport.

Didn't native Americans cross over a land bridge from native Siberia?

Are you a Cowboys fan? Because that would be true irony.

I would say that it is a very bad name but not the worst. IMO it is tied for the worst with Montreal's hockey team.

I recall protests many years ago by Native Americans against the Buffalo Bills as William Cody was famous (or infamous) for participating in nearly wiping out the bison population -- the very livelihood of the plains Indians. Well, to William Cody's credit, he also took on a major role in PROTECTING the bison later in his life when he realized how serious the state of the bison population was in. So perhaps Buffalo Bill helped ensure the population wasn't COMPLETELY wiped out.

Since folks seem to have no problem with the Redskins, the Braves, or the Indians, I always wondered how people would react to, say, the 'Harlem Jigaboos', 'Chicago Polaks', 'Brooklyn Kykes', 'San Francisco Slopes', or 'Arizona Wetbacks' :thumbsup:

Myself, I refer the the Washington NFL team as

The Politically Incorrect Nicknamed DC-Area Native Americans Possessing Excessive Pheomelanin

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :nana:

I just call them the Foreskins. I don't think that's offensive to anyone. :lol:

My stepfather is a full blooded Cayugan Indian and a veteran of the Korean War. That said, I also find the name "Redskins" to be very offensive. However, it's an improvement over their old name, the Washington Spearchuckers.