Jimmy Clausen

I'll be honest here: I didn't really care who we drafted this spring, as we had a hell of a lot of needs.

But after watching some of the Panthers/Ravens game last night, I have to say...I wish we had drafted Clausen. For his first NFL game, he looked better than anyone we've got on the team right now. I couldn't help but think "he could've been ours" the entire time I watched. Am I alone here?

Oh well - here's hoping that Spiller ends up making me forget all about this tonight!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had two positions of desperate need, left tackle and qb. There was lots of debate about going qb or LT before the draft (I leaned on the LT side of things.) All that being said lets hope spiller has us eating our words from the first regular season game on. I'm not too hung up on what happens in the preseason.

I'll be honest here: I didn't really care who we drafted this spring, as we had a hell of a lot of needs.

But after watching some of the Panthers/Ravens game last night, I have to say...I wish we had drafted Clausen. For his first NFL game, he looked better than anyone we've got on the team right now. I couldn't help but think "he could've been ours" the entire time I watched. Am I alone here?

Oh well - here's hoping that Spiller ends up making me forget all about this tonight!

You are not alone - he showed a lot of guts. Not that he's a 1st round pick, but I'd love to have him on our team. I read somewhere yesterday on TSW about Gailey's emphasis on quick passes and throwing to spots vs waiting for people to be open. Jimmy C. already gets that (or his coaches have installed in at ND and Car.). He looked like a leader out there too. If it continues (and Moore doesn't improve from yesterday), I think we'll be seeing JC starting.

I'm looking for Trent to show the same stuff today. Trust your receivers and get rid of the ball!!!

Clausen won;'t be crap, and next years QB's are a much better group to pick form.

I'm super glad we did not waste a pick on him

(1) You don't know that for sure?

(2) How do you know we will be in the position to draft a franchise QB?

(3) How do you know the Bills wil draft a QB?

I really liked Clausen too. I almost pooped my pants when we didn't take him at 41. However, I am not ready to proclaim him as a franchise QB. It was just one pre season game guys.

8-15. zero TDs. 2 sacks. 1 int. Yes, you are alone here. 30 other teams passed on him too, for a reason. He is Brady Quinn 2.0.

To me, Clausen looked very average last night. While I give him props for his pocket presence as he didn't seemed phased at all by the pressure, he made some VERY questionable throws that would have been easily picked off had he been playing against a first string defense.

The one play that really jumps out to me is when Terrence Cody burst through the line and was (slowly) trying to chase him down and Clausen threw off his back foot into a group of Ravens defenders. What was confusing to me was he really didnt have to throw the ball there, he could have tucked it and ran for a few or thrown it out of bounds since Cody clearly wasn't going to catch him in a foot race. In a real NFL game, that errant throw will net the opposing team 6 points.

I'm actually in the camp that believes Clausen will be a pretty good pro, but lets not break out the knee pads yet since he'll go through quite a bit of growing pains before he is ready.

Don't get caught up on a guy who looks good playing backups. Remember how good Hamden looked every year.

He may be a good QB, but, see what he does if he gets the first string nod.

I flipped back and forth between the game and Burn Notice/Royal Pains. I saw some of Jimmy's performance.

He looked decent, I thought, but it also looked as though he threw to the check-down WR on every play I saw (don't the Bills already have that guy?) and fumbled a snap.

Still you can't really judge from one PS game. Particularly not the first.

I actually thought his throwing motion looked awkward, with more than one pass wobbling its way to the reciever. I was not impressed. Plus, could he have looked any dimmer than he did during that segment with Gruden.

I was happy as hell that we didn't draft him...and I still am.

I flipped back and forth between the game and Burn Notice/Royal Pains. I saw some of Jimmy's performance.

He looked decent, I thought, but it also looked as though he threw to the check-down WR on every play I saw (don't the Bills already have that guy?) and fumbled a snap.

Still you can't really judge from one PS game. Particularly not the first.

burn notice rules.