Monday PM practice notes, O looks good

Heitz

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2010/08/10/tre...s-night-session

Nice to hear that the O had a good night despite the rain. Trent threw the ball around AND played in the elements!? :)

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...5d-935870b7b260

Love Chan's comment at the end on practicing in the rain - hope it continues into the winter!

Guest dog14787

Nice to hear that the O had a good night despite the rain. Trent threw the ball around AND played in the elements!? B-)

Love Chan's comment at the end on practicing in the rain - hope it continues into the winter!

Really nice sign to see TE and Evans continue to connect well :)

Nice to hear that the O had a good night despite the rain. Trent threw the ball around AND played in the elements!? :)

The injuries suck but how can you not be excited about this season? Chan did make it sound like we might have to temper our expectations in the upcoming Washington game, saying how the 1st unit O-line may not be out there.

PTR

NIGHT PRACTICE NOTES

A night that started with heavy rain tapered off to a light drizzle for most of Buffalo’s Monday night practice enabling the team to get their work done. Head coach Chan Gailey however, liked that his players were forced to adjust to some wet conditions.

“It was really good,” he said. “We needed the wet ball. We needed to be able to handle and throw it and catch and hold onto it. It was good for us.”

Though there were a few more dropped balls through the course of the practice, the offense did continue to make plays a bit further down the field. Trent Edwards has been in sync with Lee Evans in particular the last few days of practice and that continued Monday night.

“Those are the hardest ones to connect on,” said Edwards of the deep ball. “Obviously, they’re the furthest down the field and they’re the hardest to be accurate with, but Lee’s one of the best go-ball route runners in this league. He runs them down, he pins the guy, he gets open down field. We just have to protect. I got to be able to let it fly. I got to be accurate with it. It just takes a little while for it to develop. You’re going to miss some. Sometimes you’ll look really bad and other times you’ll look really good. You just got to take the good with the bad on that.” 

After connecting on some go routes the past few practices, the cornerbacks were clearly protecting against it in practice Monday as Evans, Steve Johnson and a couple of other receivers were getting open consistently on the post route inside.

“It has been working,” said Evans of the post route. “It’s one of those plays that you call, and that’s where you want to take a shot. You have to have a few of those in the playbook that you call just to get it up there and let the defense know that you will stretch the field vertically. You’ve got to practice it and if you can be successful at it you can be good. So that’s what we’ve really been doing the past few nights.”

What was most encouraging about Edwards was his willingness to throw into tight spaces Monday night as he appears to be displaying a greater confidence in his reads and ability to deliver the football with accuracy and velocity.

They practiced in the rain? The rain? Chan is completely blowing it. Everyone knows you can't work properly in the rain and cold.

If Chan's not careful, this team might just be tough enough to play outside. Unbelievable.

This might be a little premature of me to say, but is Edwards slowly growing some brass balls and getting comfortable in a system that might work for him? Some of you will say premature, and I acknowledge that, but I'm thinking Chan can get something out of him that no one else has been able to. Edwards may not turn into a franchise QB but maybe he'll be respectable this year. Only time can tell. I'm being a bit more positive about him though.

They practiced in the rain? The rain? Chan is completely blowing it. Everyone knows you can't work properly in the rain and cold.

If Chan's not careful, this team might just be tough enough to play outside. Unbelievable.

Frickin a rain. I will be more pleased with Hail! :)

sounds like things are coming together to some extent. As i have learned from trent in the past, i will restrain my excitement until he shows it during a real game, but for now, its a positive sign that maybe he will break out and prove to be a good QB for us.

Thanks for the info

Sure.. then you'll want them doing live hitting during practice, too. huh?

:)

It's taken me quite a while to get used to all the good humored sarcasm on this board. Sometimes i can't tell the difference. But i'm trying.

Live hitting? i thought they have only been playing patty cake so far. Lets seem sum serious hitting. Lets toughen up these mofos.

whoa, whoa, whoa there buddy, don't go gettin all looney tunes with those wacky ideas. Hittin during pracitce, thats asking a little too much, i mean, we are talkin bout practice, we ain't talkin about a game, we talkin about practice, man....

It's taken me quite a while to get used to all the good humored sarcasm on this board. Sometimes i can't tell the difference. But i'm trying.

Live hitting? i thought they have only been playing patty cake so far. Lets seem sum serious hitting. Lets toughen up these mofos.

Yep, it can be tough sometimes. I try to use smilies for my sacasm, but sometimes forget. :)

whoa, whoa, whoa there buddy, don't go gettin all looney tunes with those wacky ideas. Hittin during pracitce, thats asking a little too much, i mean, we are talkin bout practice, we ain't talkin about a game, we talkin about practice, man....

It's tough to practice in the NFL.

I was channeling my inner Allen Iverson for that one. You're right, it is tough to practice, which is why they should limit practice to weds and thursday only from 1-2pm, no contact, they should be totally healthy and well rested by sunday. thats the kind of schedule that builds a winner!!

I was channeling my inner Allen Iverson for that one. You're right, it is tough to practice, which is why they should limit practice to weds and thursday only from 1-2pm, no contact, they should be totally healthy and well rested by sunday. thats the kind of schedule that builds a winner!!

I like it. But, make those practices indoos at the fieldhouse, with the AC on, and you got yourselfa deal! :)

I like it. But, make those practices indoos at the fieldhouse, with the AC on, and you got yourselfa deal! :)

That's a deal sir, 2-1 hr long, no contact, indoor, air-conditioned practices each week.

Only one word comes to mind.....Championship!!! B-):D

I like the Bills media lounge stuff, Chad Jackson looks good in those clips, I can see why Chan said he's impressed. I get the feeling Stevie J., Chad and Lee might have the most catches this year, I hope somehow Rosco can fit in there too, if who ever our QB ends up being it does seem like we have some potential targets anyway. If one of the TEs steps up as well, the Oline becomes the big issue. It is getting more interesting....I can't see it being worse than last year..

I think this team us ready for the next needed element ... Teaching the philosophy that once the real games start that it is each players responsibility to play every moment thinking how not to lose ... No wild plays ... Be preDICKtable and safe ... on 3rd and 9 remember a safe gain of 4 yards with a punt is better than a risky pass 15 yards down field. Protect any 3rd quarter lead by being so very careful in the last 15 ... After all football is meant to be non-aggressive and a thoughtful experience.

This might be a little premature of me to say, but is Edwards slowly growing some brass balls and getting comfortable in a system that might work for him? Some of you will say premature, and I acknowledge that, but I'm thinking Chan can get something out of him that no one else has been able to. Edwards may not turn into a franchise QB but maybe he'll be respectable this year. Only time can tell. I'm being a bit more positive about him though.

wow the balls to talk big about a practice, balls will be grown in games not before, his were taken from him back in the cleveland game...the second one he lost....on mon night...not the other one he lost 3-6, or the first one, 0-8, nice offensive production from trent against a great team, the browwwwwnnnnnsssss.!!!!!!...ick

The injuries suck but how can you not be excited about this season? Chan did make it sound like we might have to temper our expectations in the upcoming Washington game, saying how the 1st unit O-line may not be out there.

PTR

1. First year unproven coaching staff (though they show signs of good coaching).

2. Awful O-Line.

3. Awful QB.

4. New and mediocre D.

5. Unbelieveably talented division.

Just to start to answer your question, thats why Im not excited about this season. Yes Im excited about football...but Im not sure how to be excited about the fact that the Bills only have a chance at winning 1 game (KC) all season. I hate watching the Bills lose, so no, Im not excited.

1. First year unproven coaching staff (though they show signs of good coaching).

2. Awful O-Line.

3. Awful QB.

4. New and mediocre D.

Just to start to answer your question, thats why Im not excited about this season. Yes Im excited about football...but Im not sure how to be excited about the fact that the Bills only have a chance at winning 1 game (KC) all season. I hate watching the Bills lose, so no, Im not excited.

One win???? I see 6 to 7 wins as a legit possibility. To me that would be great with our limitations on the OL and QB.

It blew my mind last tear when they fired Jauron and then they started practicing in pads. Had to be the only team in NFL history to practice without pads. The new Regime is much more impressive. This should toughen them all up pretty good. Maybe now they will not be like glass dolls in the reg season.

I will take that. In today's NFL, a respectable QB is pretty much the franchise QB for many teams.

2. Awful O-Line.

3. Awful QB.

4. New and mediocre D.

1.) Do you mean the staff as a unit? Chan Gailey himself is far from unproven as a coach, with quite a long history in the NFL. Most importantly for the Bills, which later leads into point 3, is his ability to develop mediocre QBs (see Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, Tyler Thigpen).

2.) To be honest, I don't think we really know the identity of our O-line as a unit. Due to the seemingly-biblical plague of injuries, it was quite the rotating cast of characters. O-line is the one position that requires the most cohesion and our injuries simply precluded that from happening last year. Here's hoping for a little bit more luck, as well as better strength and conditioning, in regards to injuries.

3.) Awful QB is debatable, but okay, I'll give you that we don't have a Peyton Manning on our hands. But corresponding to the first point regarding Chan Gailey's track record in developing QBs, might it not be possible that he can turn at least one of the QBs on the roster into something respectable? Given Edwards' previous flashes of potential, I doubt that it is an impossibly Herculean task.

4.) New defensive scheme, not new defense. And while last year's rushing defense was mediocre, the Bills had one of the top passing defenses in the league. Further, as I've said before, I believe the Bills' woes at rushing D was a crushing combination of (again) injuries and remarkably tough competition. Believe it or not, but the Bills were up against some of the league's best run games last year. Yes, they should've played better but based on our opponents, it would have been rough going anyways.

5.) Talented division, yes. But unbelievably talented? Sorry, I don't think that any of the teams in the division is head and shoulders better than they were last year. The Bills, barring a fumbled kickoff return, were in a position to split in the division. If last year showed us anything, it was that even with the most decimated team, the Bills are still able to hang in there with the rest of the division (and yes, I'm aware of that 0-6 in the division the year before).

You don't have to be excited, but I just think that saying things like the Bills only have 1 chance at a win this year is just foolhardy. I see the Bills going 8-8, +-2 games in there. Take from it what you will.

I think Edwards had them in 2008. Prior to this season, that's when his confidence was at its highest and he was leading the offense like a QB should. He lost it completely after the concussion.

Maybe Chan is instilling that confidence back in TE's head, but as you say...time will tell.

I still remain cautiously optimistic, but can't wait for Sept 12th!

It is refreshing to have a coach speak with clarity. Of course he can't always candidly state what his opinions are regarding personnel but speaking in understandable english is very much appreciated. What a night and day difference between the two styles of communciation.

That's a deal sir, 2-1 hr long, no contact, indoor, air-conditioned practices each week.

Only one word comes to mind.....Championship!!! <_<:D

One word comes to my mind too.....Jauron. Thank the football Gods he's not our coach anymore!

2. Awful O-Line.

3. Awful QB.

4. New and mediocre D.

Man, I consider myself an optimist bordering being realistic. But a prediction of 1 win is just insane. Fightinirish bills went into more detail than I feel like right now, but you are just WAY off.

The practice shifted to 11-on-11 work. Marshawn Lynch opened it with a good gainer on a sweep around right tackle.

Could it be?? Marshawn starting things off?? Yes I'm getting giddy to prove so many people wrong that he should be our #1 back.

Whooooaaaaaa, calm down there sparky. Is that really what gets you off, to prove everyone wrong? get back to us on opening day when freddie, who has earned the starting job, is the starter. Lynch is a beast and I am happy he is on our team, especially on goal-line situations, but freddie is going to be moving the chains regularly.

...but Im not sure how to be excited about the fact that the Bills only have a chance at winning 1 game (KC) all season.

My brain is mentally exhausted from having an optimistic viewpoint in August only to be let down year after year. So in that regard, I'm with you in that my expectations are incredibly low. With that said, only have a chance of winning 1 game? What? Do you follow the NFL? We have a "chance" at winning 16 games. It's the most fickle league in the world. If following this sport/league has taught me anything, it's that ANYTHING can happen.

2. Awful O-Line.

3. Awful QB.

4. New and mediocre D.

Always a ray of sunshine, you are. We'll see how things play out.

PTR

Whooooaaaaaa, calm down there sparky. Is that really what gets you off, to prove everyone wrong? get back to us on opening day when freddie, who has earned the starting job, is the starter. Lynch is a beast and I am happy he is on our team, especially on goal-line situations, but freddie is going to be moving the chains regularly.

Haha, no - victories do it for me more than anything else. I'm VERY concerned about losing him and having him be a dominant #1 somewhere else. (and having to buy yet another Bills jersey)