I can see why people are quick to bury Maybin

It is true. He played in the NFL at the age of 21. That's a fact. A 21-year-old rookie, on arguably the worst-coached team in the league ... and just because he was a 1st rounder, immediate success was supposed to be a given? Not a chance.

Well, to be fair, Orapko played quite well on Jim Zorn's team - which arguably was more poorly coached than Dicky's.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is everyone is so quick to bury a kid who played at the highest level of his profession at 21. I wasn't a huge fan of the pick, but besides Whitner, I've never seen fans want to destroy this kid. Anything Maybin does, people want to hate him for it.

Maybe it's my fault, but I thought Bills fans were better than that. IT almost seems liek there is a group of fans hoping Maybin fails so they can say they were right about it on a message board. I think 10 or 20 years ago, fans weren't as irrational and so quick to insult.

I was reading an old post from brian g. at rumbles right after the pick of maybin. I found it amusing that no one canned the pick then....

GO BILLS!

For a Buffalo Bills fan board it sure seems like no one is a fan of just about anyone on the team (except Poz of course, he can do no wrong). Haters of the team, Maybin and Edwards in particular, have hijacked this whole deal and you can all suck a dick.

You haven't spent much time here.

Believe me, there are LOTS of Poz haters here.

In fact, you would be hard pressed to find a Bills player who doesn't have vocal and regular detractors here.

For example, there are posters here that are such ardent fans of Marshawn Lynch (and there's nothing wrong with that) that they feel the need to criticize and fabricate flaws in Fred Jackson's game.

It gets pretty pathetic sometimes.

Well, to be fair, Orapko played quite well on Jim Zorn's team - which arguably was more poorly coached than Dicky's.

The coaching staff is such a lame excuse when it pertains to the Defense. There is a reason guys like Fewell wound up with better teams...because they are good coaches. If the defense didn't perform like it did last year, the Billls would've won 1 game.

It is true. He played in the NFL at the age of 21. That's a fact. A 21-year-old rookie, on arguably the worst-coached team in the league ... and just because he was a 1st rounder, immediate success was supposed to be a given? Not a chance.

The poster said he was playing at the highest level--we all know he's in the NFL, son. Highest level means, to me, well...just that--among the best at his profession (which was NFL DE).

The poster said he was playing at the highest level--we all know he's in the NFL, son. Highest level means, to me, well...just that--among the best at his profession (which was NFL DE).

The highest level of football is the NFL. Son. Keep it civil. It's just a conversation about football.

Let me clear this up ...HE WAS A EARLY FIRST ROUND PICK. That comes with certain expectations that some just can't live up to. <_<

You are the epitome of a negative nancy. Not all first round picks pan out in year one, especially a project player such as Maybin. It was pretty well understood upon his drafting that he wasn't going to be an instant success, however his upside is unbelievable. If you watch how smooth of an athlete he is, it is pretty impressive. He can still fill out his frame as a 22 year old, which will help with him getting man handled when a tackle gets their hands on him. With his speed, I think this year he is a situational pass rusher, while he learns to OLB position, but in two years he should be a star.

I am not worried about being right, so f_it, if I am wrong. I am definitely a Maybin fan.

For a Buffalo Bills fan board it sure seems like no one is a fan of just about anyone on the team (except Poz of course, he can do no wrong). Haters of the team, Maybin and Edwards in particular, have hijacked this whole deal and you can all suck a dick.

lmao yea, sometimes it's hard to believe this is a sight for Bills fans. but if you can get through all the crap, sometimes there's some comments worth reading. and a few laughs along the way.

Same smart-ass remark posters like you made after McCargo's rookie year when it was readily apparent that he wasn't a good football player. Football is not rocket science (though it just might be for you).

Personally, i liked his comment to you. That's great you can pic out busts from the get go. I think you should apply for a job in the scouting department. But for the rest of us idiots, well some of us anyway, we'll give the kid a year or two and see if he develops.

What are the odds that players that don’t ever produce in the first year (after being selected in the first round) ever produce at the level to which they were given first round money/expected to contribute? Yes, all teams have top picks that do not pan out, but at some point these picks have to contribute or should be cut and left reaching for another twinkie like Mike Williams, Eric Flowers and John McCargo.

What are the odds that players that don’t ever produce in the first year (after being selected in the first round) ever produce at the level to which they were given first round money/expected to contribute? Yes, all teams have top picks that do not pan out, but at some point these picks have to contribute or should be cut and left reaching for another twinkie like Mike Williams, Eric Flowers and John McCargo.

It happens all the time. The jump to the pros from college is gigantic and takes a few years for some guys to get up to speed.

The point wasn't to say Maybin will be a stud. It was rather give the kid a chance. I get that people are bitter for the last decade but Aaron Maybin had nothing to do with that. But some good thoughts in here. Thanks.

IMHO most fans expect production from their first round pick. Especially a top ten pick. It may not be fair to the players but Maybin"s "getting paid." I don't feel sorry for Maybin. He deserves a chance but he equally deserves the criticism. The Bills front office deserves the brunt of the criticism for drafting a "raw" and undeveloped college player. I remember an analyst (can't remember whom) on draft day saying he had "bust or boom" written all over him. Time will tell what catagory he lands in. To date, he is a bust.

IMHO most fans expect production from their first round pick. Especially a top ten pick. It may not be fair to the players but Maybin"s "getting paid." I don't feel sorry for Maybin. He deserves a chance but he equally deserves the criticism. The Bills front office deserves the brunt of the criticism for drafting a "raw" and undeveloped college player. I remember an analyst (can't remember whom) on draft day saying he had "bust or boom" written all over him. Time will tell what catagory he lands in. To date, he is a bust.

you have really turned the corner man, seriously

I did not like the maybin pick originally, but since we took him, he has displayed maturity (in words) and I feel like he will be successfull as a situational pass rusher in this new 3-4 defense. If he works out, and thats a big if, Maybin will be yet another example of the mismanagement from the previous regime. He never shoulod've been drafted as a 4-3 end, much like chris ellis, yet we did it anyways.

I for one, hope maybin has a great season, along with the rest of the defense

you have really turned the corner man, seriously

I did not like the maybin pick originally, but since we took him, he has displayed maturity (in words) and I feel like he will be successfull as a situational pass rusher in this new 3-4 defense. If he works out, and thats a big if, Maybin will be yet another example of the mismanagement from the previous regime. He never shoulod've been drafted as a 4-3 end, much like chris ellis, yet we did it anyways.

I for one, hope maybin has a great season, along with the rest of the defense

I hope he can produce on the field. If he steps it up and puts major pressure on the QB how good could our defense be? Pressure on the Qb with our outstanding secondary. We could be pretty scary. I just don't know if he can be that guy. He seems so young and "raw." He could be a couple of years away from being good to really good. Will we the fans wait that long?

My point is everyone is so quick to bury a kid who played at the highest level of his profession at 21. I wasn't a huge fan of the pick, but besides Whitner, I've never seen fans want to destroy this kid. Anything Maybin does, people want to hate him for it.

Maybe it's my fault, but I thought Bills fans were better than that. IT almost seems liek there is a group of fans hoping Maybin fails so they can say they were right about it on a message board. I think 10 or 20 years ago, fans weren't as irrational and so quick to insult.

Who everybody has been trying to destroy...and now everybody loves him!!!

I was even told that saying Whitner would make the Pro-Bowl is not much a prediction at all...as if MANY are expecting it to happen!

Maybin WILL shine this season...he will prove everyone wrong! (and for once Dick Jauron might be right!)

Good point. A rookie made a bad play; he should be cut. We all know a player never develops or learns anything.

:)

You are soooo right.

Frankly, all of us who have gained expertese in the intricacies of professional football through our Madden games know that one mistake that can be picked up through our binoculars is cut time. And, don't let anyone try to fool you ... offensive lineman right out of college should never miss a block, never be in motion before the snap, and never go in a direction other than the specific steps outlined in the playbook, which of course all of us have access to.

I do not understand those defenders of Bell, Meredith or even Levitre and Wood who say ... 'oh they are first year players we shouldn't expect them to play like Pro-Bowl veterans.' I am sorry ... cut them .... the Bills only pick up error prone players ... I'd rather fill my team with the cuts other teams make because other teams never make bad selections so even their rejects are more talented than our guys.

Believe you me ... my binoculars will be right on every move each of these Modrak picks makes and if they make one mistake ... it will be time to rip them apart here on the board ... and I'll be checking the first group of cuts from other teams to see who is ready to step into our line-up ... who cares if they are old and out of shape ... they are coming from another team that is all that matters.

And, I don't want players who want our team to win either ... so dump that Donte too.

We need players from other teams who just keep their mouths shut and do their business on the field. We should assign members of this board to each player drafted by the Bills with the responsibility to remind us how totally awful each Buffalo Bill player is.

He was drafted as a project, so it shouldn't be a surprise that it may take a couple of years to see him develop. I guess that is the problem with him, the fans wanted a playmaker that had the best chance to contribute right away given the overall lack of talent on the team. I am really pulling for him, if he doesn't play to the level of his draft status it won't be due to poor work ethic or attitude. It looks like he will be a situational pass rusher for the Bills this year, hey, if he can do that well it is a step in the right direction into making him a 3 down player. I am reserving the B label for at least one more year. Year 3 will determine whether this was a poor pick, IMO

If you are a Bill's fan, you want to see every player on the roster do well. Yes, some players take longer to develop than others making the move to the pros. We the fans have shown that we will stick with the Bills through thick and thin...just look at the support in the last 10 years. The Bills have been in the top ten in ticket sales for most if not all of the last ten years. The fans have done their part. The Marketing Dept has done their part (probably best in the league for what they have had to work with).

Billeive it or not, now it is time for the scouts, coaches, trainers and players to do their part. From the OP, people are at the point where they are quick to bury any player who does not contribute...and if you were selected in the first round, you get the bigger guaranteed money - because you are expected to contribute to make the team better in your first year. As for Maybin, he was taken 11th overall in the draft and highly touted as a speed guy who could get to the QB. Okay, but there is just one problem with that. He never contributed like you would like to see your 11th overall player perform and never touched an opposing QB. He might be a great person. He sounds like a great person and great persons are great to have on your team, but if he can't play football and get to an opposing QB, what the hell is he doing on the team?

Fans have watched this play out before with the Bills and is why there is a short lease on 1st rd players. Whitner, JP, McCargo, TE, Mike Williams, Eric Flowers were all high level picks expected to contribute. Since players don't get to decide where they are selected the scouts and OBD deserve some criticism as well. I get that not every pick will perform the way you would like, but IMO, the Bills would have seen a whiff of the playoffs in the last ten years if some of their top picks performed better than they have so far...

Judge a man by his actions, not his words. Or, if you prefer, talk is cheap but it takes money to buy whiskey. :)

I don't know how Orakpo is at motivational speaking, but he does damn well on the field.

And he was the one that the bills should have taken at 11 rather than Maybin ,but that's water under the bridge and as you said i hope he can play as good as he can run his mouth !! But i can see a comparison between him and his mentor (Arrington)

I can attest to that. I was 29 and it was an experience that added instant responsibility and maturity to my life. Will it help AM on the football field though? I hope so.

I know exactly what you are saying I was a young 19 year old when my son was born back in 1984 and it surely made me grow up in a hurry. It was a huge responsibility for me at the time and I am glad to have stepped up to plate because it made me a better man for it and now I have a 26 year old son that I am very proud of.