Lil Donte

I think Whitner has a point regarding about the Tampa 2 not being the best fit for him.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...S03/8080361/tbd

This is yet another indictment on DJ along with many others - the worst being allowing Keith Ellison to play in the NFL. Looking back I think Whitner has made many more plays around the line of scrimmage than in coverage. Now maybe that is an indictment of Whitner's lack of coverage skills. Much like Trent the coaching change should be refreshing for Whitner but also is his last chance to make an impact other than being a career back-up. If he can't beat out Wilson for the job with a new staff he will be done as a starter in the NFL. I am hoping he can be a bit of a terror on blitz packages and around the line of scrimmage. With Byrd and the quite frankly outstanding group of corners the Bills have there should be plenty of opportunity for the SS to be in the action around the line os scrimmage and in the backfield.

As an aside, I have given Marv a ton of crap for his performance as GM. Wouldn't it be odd/sad if the players he drafted blossomed under a new coach especially an old southern boy instead of his Ivy league bust HC choice.

I think Whitner has a point regarding about the Tampa 2 not being the best fit for him.

This is yet another indictment on DJ along with many others - the worst being allowing Keith Ellison to play in the NFL. Looking back I think Whitner has made many more plays around the line of scrimmage than in coverage. Now maybe that is an indictment of Whitner's lack of coverage skills. Much like Trent the coaching change should be refreshing for Whitner but also is his last chance to make an impact other than being a career back-up. If he can't beat out Wilson for the job with a new staff he will be done as a starter in the NFL. I am hoping he can be a bit of a terror on blitz packages and around the line of scrimmage. With Byrd and the quite frankly outstanding group of corners the Bills have there should be plenty of opportunity for the SS to be in the action around the line os scrimmage and in the backfield.

As an aside, I have given Marv a ton of crap for his performance as GM. Wouldn't it be odd/sad if the players he drafted blossomed under a new coach especially an old southern boy instead of his Ivy league bust HC choice.

Whitner doesn't have to beat out anyone. He has been taking all the 1st team reps the entire camp.

Whitner doesn't have to beat out anyone. He has been taking all the 1st team reps the entire camp.

and Donte is kicking ass from every report that I have read. Our defensive backfield is the strength of this team. Plenty of other positions to speculate about

Whitner was pressed into service around the line of scrimmage for which he was not suited. He cam in the league at just over 200 lbs, a small safety, doing the job of a linebacker.

He was doing the job of a LB? That is what many SS's do. Some even win NFL Defensive MVP for doing it, ie. Bob Sanders. The unfortunate thing is that Ellison was starting at LB and the depth was so bad they had to move Scott to LB.

I understand the role of an ss. I mean that whitner is a small one and he played at the line more than some other defensive schemes would have put him there. He is probably a more natural FS.

I actually played in high school with Bob Sanders, at Erie Cathedral Prep.

I think Donte's major obstacle the past few years is, he has been asked to do too many different things. I like that he did whatever he was asked to do w/o complaint, but it hasn't helped his excelling at any one thing. He was the defense's "Swiss-Army Back" and was given very little freedom to just let loose.

Now this is just a guess on my part but I think he's being a bit polite when he points to the T2 scheme, instead of the coaching the past few years.

He was doing the job of a LB? That is what many SS's do. Some even win NFL Defensive MVP for doing it, ie. Bob Sanders. The unfortunate thing is that Ellison was starting at LB and the depth was so bad they had to move Scott to LB.

I think Donte should stop making all these statements and just go to work. Donte has had to prove so much after being drafted by the Bills. It would be in his best interest to shut his mouth and have a career year and run to a big contract.

Now this is just a guess on my part but I think he's being a bit polite when he points to the T2 scheme, instead of the coaching the past few years.

I agree with you 100%, as I don't think he is the type to bash the former staff. I think that Donte will let his playing do the talking this year.

I think Donte's major obstacle the past few years is, he has been asked to do too many different things. I like that he did whatever he was asked to do w/o complaint, but it hasn't helped his excelling at any one thing. He was the defense's "Swiss-Army Back" and was given very little freedom to just let loose.

Agreed. Add to that; each of the DBs (and half the LBs) initial step at the snap was to run backwards. Our entire defense seemed to be predicated on backing up, to make sure the offense stays in front of you. We gave up few big plays; but let other teams matriculate down the field at will.

I think Donte should stop making all these statements and just go to work. Donte has had to prove so much after being drafted by the Bills. It would be in his best interest to shut his mouth and have a career year and run to a big contract.

By all accounts; that's exactly what he's done in camp - just gotten down to work. Should he walk away from reporters? Schobel did that; Lync does that; and what do people say about it? I think some people just dislike some players regardless of what they do or say.

Truth be told, Marv was little more than a figure head as GM. He selected a coach, but after that, his job was mostly PR. Jauron had the final say on what players to bring in with input from Modrak in regards to college players and John Guy in regards to pro personnel

I think you're right. He gets a lot of grief because he's not making lots of big plays all the time but players have to be able to be in position to make plays and as much as he was moved around into different spots and positions, he wasn't always in position to make big plays but he rarely makes mistakes which tells me he is at least a good player, even in a defense not suited to put him in position to make plays. Hopefully this new system is going to be better suited to Donte and he can silence his critics

I'm sure you guys would be quick to call him Lil' Donte face to face.

Lighten up a bit C. You must admit that to this point he hasn't lived up to the #8 pick in the draft and his talk has garnered more attention than his play (in previous seasons).

I hope this scheme fits his skills, hope he blossoms and becomes the 'QB' back there, but we'll have to wait and see. So far he's having a good camp. I hope that continues.

By all accounts; that's exactly what he's done in camp - just gotten down to work. Should he walk away from reporters? Schobel did that; Lync does that; and what do people say about it? I think some people just dislike some players regardless of what they do or say.

Actually I wasn't critcizing him because I dislike him. I really would like Donte to pan out for us. Sometimes, it is better to not talk about things and not be able to back it up. Whitner has done it too often and taken the brunt of criticism. I prefer him to work quietly and show everyone that he is a ball player (Which I believe he is).

Actually I wasn't critcizing him because I dislike him. I really would like Donte to pan out for us. Sometimes, it is better to not talk about things and not be able to back it up. Whitner has done it too often and taken the brunt of criticism. I prefer him to work quietly and show everyone that he is a ball player (Which I believe he is).

:worthy:

He does inspire ire for many a poster here. I, too, would prefer he just show everyone that he's a ball player. Unfortunately, I think he's too good of an interview (if you know what I mean) for the press to leave him alone at this point in his young career.

prediction- Donte makes the probowl this year

:lol:

Here are my predictions:

1. Chris Kelsay wins Defensive Player of the Year.

2. Trent Edwards wins MVP (for both regular season and Super Bowl)

:worthy: