Lil Donte

Whitner was pressed into service around the line of scrimmage for which he was not suited. He cam in the league at just over 200 lbs, a small safety, doing the job of a linebacker.

I think your comparing the size of the a safety to a linebacker but Donte isn't little, Ed Reed is listed at 5'11" 200 lbs while Donte is 5'10" 208 lbs haha.

I think your comparing the size of the a safety to a linebacker but Donte isn't little, Ed Reed is listed at 5'11" 200 lbs while Donte is 5'10" 208 lbs haha.

Donte is listed at 5'10" but I bet that he is closer to 5'8"

In the AFC? With Sanders, Reed, and Polamalu just to name a few? Even if he plays his arss off it aint going to happen...

Reed is a FS.

If Sanders plays his typical 6 games this season, he shouldn't be considered, either. (Yes, he's great. But you really should play on Sunday to make the Pro Bowl.)

Troy plays most games most years. Last year was an anomaly. If Donte makes it, it is probably backing up Troy.

Reed is a FS.

If Sanders plays his typical 6 games this season, he shouldn't be considered, either. (Yes, he's great. But you really should play on Sunday to make the Pro Bowl.)

Troy plays most games most years. Last year was an anomaly. If Donte makes it, it is probably backing up Troy.

I don't think they differentiate SS from FS for ProBowl voting just like they don't differentiate between LT and RT. They should but I don't think they do.

I don't think they differentiate SS from FS for ProBowl voting just like they don't differentiate between LT and RT. They should but I don't think they do.
They don't, 3 safeties, regardless of strong or free.

Tampa-2 was such a garbage loser scheme, I am also looking forward to seeing what Lil Donte can do in the 3-4. I am very encouraged so far, not only by the glowing training camp reports, but also by the fact he's kept his mouth shut & hasn't said anything really stupid this year.

They don't, 3 safeties, regardless of strong or free.

Thanks. Good info. I shouldda known that.

Actually I wasn't critcizing him because I dislike him. I really would like Donte to pan out for us. Sometimes, it is better to not talk about things and not be able to back it up. Whitner has done it too often and taken the brunt of criticism. I prefer him to work quietly and show everyone that he is a ball player (Which I believe he is).

What are you talking about? He says he likes the new scheme. What is the point of backing that up? And he was asked how he liked the new scheme, so how do you want him to answer that? "no comment. Ganesh doesn't want me talking until I play better" :P. you make it seem like he is running his mouth and talking trash, and he isn't doing anything close to that. Most people here are even saying he has been too polite and quiet.

What are you talking about? He says he likes the new scheme. What is the point of backing that up? And he was asked how he liked the new scheme, so how do you want him to answer that? "no comment. Ganesh doesn't want me talking until I play better" :P. you make it seem like he is running his mouth and talking trash, and he isn't doing anything close to that. Most people here are even saying he has been too polite and quiet.

Year after year, Donte has distinguished himself with his rhetoric more than his play. It's time that he shut his trap and make plays, for once in his career. Given that this is his contract year, I think we'll see a much-improved player in 2010.

I have a hard time the Bills will pay for him given the safety depth on the roster, so enjoy your last year of Lil Donte.

I think Donte should stop making all these statements and just go to work. Donte has had to prove so much after being drafted by the Bills. It would be in his best interest to shut his mouth and have a career year and run to a big contract.

Freedom of speech works for NFL safeties as well as forum blowhards. Other than speaking his mind it seems so far he is doing just that. Let's hope this new scheme and staff suit him well. His success is the Bills success. If it truly was the scheme and the former staff that was holding him back he was a real high character team guy for not publicly throwing them under the bus. Not that some will ever give a guy credit.

Year after year, Donte has distinguished himself with his rhetoric more than his play. It's time that he shut his trap and make plays, for once in his career. Given that this is his contract year, I think we'll see a much-improved player in 2010.

So you really think that when reporters ask him a question, he shouldn't say anything to them and just walk by? you are being ridiculous. It is one thing if he is talking trash or making public statements with no reason.

and I don't care if he shuts his trap or not. Him shutting up isn't going to make him play better. And personally, I like having these defensive players supporting the coaching staff and new scheme.

I think Whitner has a point regarding about the Tampa 2 not being the best fit for him.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...S03/8080361/tbd

This is yet another indictment on DJ along with many others - the worst being allowing Keith Ellison to play in the NFL. Looking back I think Whitner has made many more plays around the line of scrimmage than in coverage. Now maybe that is an indictment of Whitner's lack of coverage skills. Much like Trent the coaching change should be refreshing for Whitner but also is his last chance to make an impact other than being a career back-up. If he can't beat out Wilson for the job with a new staff he will be done as a starter in the NFL. I am hoping he can be a bit of a terror on blitz packages and around the line of scrimmage. With Byrd and the quite frankly outstanding group of corners the Bills have there should be plenty of opportunity for the SS to be in the action around the line os scrimmage and in the backfield.

As an aside, I have given Marv a ton of crap for his performance as GM. Wouldn't it be odd/sad if the players he drafted blossomed under a new coach especially an old southern boy instead of his Ivy league bust HC choice.

I have said it again and again...the 3-4 will make Donte Whitner a STUD Strong Safety in this league. If Ed Reed and Bob Sanders remain hurt, and Polamalu struggles...Whitner MIGHT find himself in the Pro-Bowl.

I would also bet that Marshawn Lynch proves all his haters wrong too. Same as Maybin...and I have said this ALL before. This year will be a big year for those 3, who many of the fans love to hate...Watch out for those 3.

5 year after being drafted and still excuses are being made for DW. The T2 excuse is my favorite because if you know anything about Fewell's defense they were in a true Cover 2 zone, which is what everyone thinks is the T2 is, less than half of the time. T2 teams play a true C2 less than half of the game because if they did, teams would be throwing for 500 yds per game. They moved Donte all over the field like SS do and before he got injured last year the Bills were more of a 4-2-5 with Donte playing around the LOS.

When Donte plays around the LOS he runs into the same problems that Troy and Sanders do, they get hurt because they are to small to play in the box. LB's are 240-250 for a reason, because they have to take on blocks from 300+ lb men. A 200 pound S doesn't stand a chance game in and game out and all 3 of those guys have proved that.

Donte will be Donte this year. He'll show some flashes of goodness, he'll be hurt for a couple of games, he'll run his mouth and be an average safety because thats what he's been for 4 years. AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS DRAFT POSITION EITHER.

5 year after being drafted and still excuses are being made for DW. The T2 excuse is my favorite because if you know anything about Fewell's defense they were in a true Cover 2 zone, which is what everyone thinks is the T2 is, less than half of the time. T2 teams play a true C2 less than half of the game because if they did, teams would be throwing for 500 yds per game. They moved Donte all over the field like SS do and before he got injured last year the Bills were more of a 4-2-5 with Donte playing around the LOS.

When Donte plays around the LOS he runs into the same problems that Troy and Sanders do, they get hurt because they are to small to play in the box. LB's are 240-250 for a reason, because they have to take on blocks from 300+ lb men. A 200 pound S doesn't stand a chance game in and game out and all 3 of those guys have proved that.

Donte will be Donte this year. He'll show some flashes of goodness, he'll be hurt for a couple of games, he'll run his mouth and be an average safety because thats what he's been for 4 years. AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS DRAFT POSITION EITHER.

Your post is certainly fair. DW has been given many chances to perform and regardless of the system if he is a star player he should have shown more on the field. That being said I think he will do better closer to the line of scrimmage in more of an attcking SS role as opposed to deep coverage. He has even played corner for the Bills at times. I think his man to man skills have been ok but for reasons I can't understand he does not do well in space. This can partially explain his low INT numbers. Byrd on the other hand seems to do well in space and takes decent angles to the WR and makes quick adjustments to tipped or overthrown balls. Does this have to do with intelligence and being able to figure out the play faster or being able to concentrate on the QB's eyes, the WR, and the ball. I don't know. But whatever it is DW can't do it in deep coverage.

I think Whitner has a point regarding about the Tampa 2 not being the best fit for him.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...S03/8080361/tbd

This is yet another indictment on DJ along with many others - the worst being allowing Keith Ellison to play in the NFL. Looking back I think Whitner has made many more plays around the line of scrimmage than in coverage. Now maybe that is an indictment of Whitner's lack of coverage skills. Much like Trent the coaching change should be refreshing for Whitner but also is his last chance to make an impact other than being a career back-up. If he can't beat out Wilson for the job with a new staff he will be done as a starter in the NFL. I am hoping he can be a bit of a terror on blitz packages and around the line of scrimmage. With Byrd and the quite frankly outstanding group of corners the Bills have there should be plenty of opportunity for the SS to be in the action around the line os scrimmage and in the backfield.

As an aside, I have given Marv a ton of crap for his performance as GM. Wouldn't it be odd/sad if the players he drafted blossomed under a new coach especially an old southern boy instead of his Ivy league bust HC choice.

From the grain-of-salt department: the Bills' secondary play was arguably the most effective in the league last year.

Your post is certainly fair. DW has been given many chances to perform and regardless of the system if he is a star player he should have shown more on the field. That being said I think he will do better closer to the line of scrimmage in more of an attcking SS role as opposed to deep coverage. He has even played corner for the Bills at times. I think his man to man skills have been ok but for reasons I can't understand he does not do well in space. This can partially explain his low INT numbers. Byrd on the other hand seems to do well in space and takes decent angles to the WR and makes quick adjustments to tipped or overthrown balls. Does this have to do with intelligence and being able to figure out the play faster or being able to concentrate on the QB's eyes, the WR, and the ball. I don't know. But whatever it is DW can't do it in deep coverage.

He played back more before he got hurt last year and I thought he played his best football. I just feel he's to small, like Sanders and Troy P. to be up all of the time. They take a beating, taking on pulling Olineman and FB's. The problem is that Byrd looks to have some great instincts back there and showed what true ball skills are. That being said, if Byrd went down, I would expect Twittner (I had to) to step in at FS and do a good job.