What if Trent becomes an above average QB???

Imagine if Trent becomes as good as say a Matt Ryan. Is that good enough to pass on a QB in the first round next year?

I would say so. Even if Bell or Meredith develop, it is stil likely one of them won't leaving a hole at one of the tackle spots. If Trent becomes above average I would say they should draft OL. For that matter WR or another dynamic pass rusher could be of more instant impact. I just don't want to be sitting here next year wondering if Ryan Mallet, Jake Locher, or Andrew Luck can make the jump from College to the Pros.

Saw Trent at camp today. He seemed a head of the rest, but not by much in the passing drills. Game time/under fire is when the real assessment will come. The players all show something in drills and practice, but they shine or fade under the lights of actual game experience.

If my bathroom had gold facets, I would still have to change the sink / countertops / shower / toilet to make it look similiar. Otherwise, you just have gold facets and not a great bathroom.

What if you left the facets the same color as the faucets? Then everything would look similar instead of similiar. Otherwise you'll just have not a great bathroom.

If someone as knowledgeable as Bill Walsh thought Trent had the potential to be a great QB, then I have to believe he possessed the skills to do just that. But what too many on this board assume is that great players just show up ready to play. The truth is they have to be nurtured by skilled coaches. Dick Jauron was a coaching succubus. He literally sucked the life out of his players with his banality.

Chan Gailey is probably the best coach around to bring out the best of Trent. If Edwards has the skills and he hasn't lost anything after the concussion, Chan will make Trent the best QB he is capable of becoming. How good is that? We'll see.

PTR

If someone as knowledgeable as Bill Walsh thought Trent had the potential to be a great QB, then I have to believe he possessed the skills to do just that. But what too many on this board assume is that great players just show up ready to play. The truth is they have to be nurtured by skilled coaches. Dick Jauron was a coaching succubus. He literally sucked the life out of his players with his banality.

Chan Gailey is probably the best coach around to bring out the best of Trent. If Edwards has the skills and he hasn't lost anything after the concussion, Chan will make Trent the best QB he is capable of becoming. How good is that? We'll see.

PTR

Gailey sounds like he is a perfect fit to see if Trent has got it or not, we shall see, I for one, hope that Chan's history will continue, i.e. making lemonade with lemons...:lol:

PTR

I am not disagreeing with what you wrote, however, the Bill Walsh thing gets blown out of proportion too much. He was high on Mirer, Drunkenmiller, and several other QB's that never found any success. Not to mention he traded up for JJ Stokes calling him the next Jerry Rice, and neither him or those great 49er teams could make him any good. Add into that the face that this "enodrsement" of Trent came many years after he was in the NFL and was really up their in age.

I have and always will have a lot of respect for Walsh and I know he was one of the true greats, but he was wrong and way wrong on many occassions just like all the greats are and always will be.

I do agree that I think Chan could be the right coach to get the best out of our QB corp, but the real question is will their best be good enough to be a full time starter in this league...I have real doubts if Trent is tough enough to shoulder the load both mentally and physically. He hasnt played a full season in college or the pros, so his ability to stay healthy is a major question mark. Then there is the issues with him getting totally rattled in games, bailing on plays to early and looking to throw it away or check down, holding the ball too long, etc.

Thats a tall order for a coach to fix...not mention there are issues of improving his field vision, ability to read defenses (especially 3-4), his timing to throw to where the WR will be open, and putting less air on his deep balls. Chan certainly has his work cut out for him, and I will be thoroughly impressed if Chan can make all this better.

As far as Trent goes, I hope he proves me wrong as we need someone to step up and lead this offense. If not, hopefully Brohm can because it sure seems like Fitz is falling behind and may even be the odd man out.

Honestly, at this point, I'd be happy if Trent (or any Bills QB) became an average starting QB.

Decent would be nice, but decent won't be enough. Gailey may be able to make our QB position somewhat more effective than they have been in the past, but while I do have hopes for much of the team, the QB position is still the Bills biggest worry (then O-line).

PTR

For the most part Bill Walsh knew what he was talking about but nobody can predict 100%.

Walsh was an adviser to the Niners and told them to pick Jake Plummer but they took Drunkonmiller. Plummer was a good QB but was no Montana , who Walsh compared him to.

Walsh was right to trade up to draft Rice (remember that Al Toon & Eddie Brown were taken before him??) but a few years later he traded up for JJ Stokes but he didn't pan out.

Walsh's track record was still better than most and definitely better than what we've seen post-Polion. Since Edwards has become Captain Checkdown, perhaps Walsh saw him as a fit for his West Coast offense.

If Trent with this supporting cast (Poor O-line and no #2 WR and an unknown at Tightend) can throw for over 3300 yards, play all 16 games, and throw 15 TD's with under 10 INT's I am confident giving Trent another season to see what he can do when the front office can add more talent around him and come back in year two of the system.

Hell if Brohm can put up those kinds of numbers with this cast I would be happy to stick with him.

PTR

I also think Bill Walsh was right about TE and the quality of his play. I think the Bills fans who turned on him gave him a raw deal and actually I think he demonstrated that he is much better QB than the indictments some fans rain on him.

There were a good chunk of substandard results in his short career, but a lot of these failings I blame on the Bills under Jauron but much of the blame here I think goes to the Bills for never having a working offensive strategy and poor okay calling by the OC.

IMHO before the Bills lack of a coherent O plan sidetracked him, Edwards showed his extraordinary ability to read the D, accurate short passing and surprising running ability. However, despite my belief in his skills, I actually to not think he is the answer to finding a starter. Based on my objective standard for measuring a player I think he is that he suffered 4 injuries to different parts of his body his first stint with the Bills which I label as injury prone.

Unless he has bulked up to make his body better I think he will not last.

Imagine if Trent becomes as good as say a Matt Ryan. Is that good enough to pass on a QB in the first round next year?

I would say so. Even if Bell or Meredith develop, it is stil likely one of them won't leaving a hole at one of the tackle spots. If Trent becomes above average I would say they should draft OL. For that matter WR or another dynamic pass rusher could be of more instant impact. I just don't want to be sitting here next year wondering if Ryan Mallet, Jake Locher, or Andrew Luck can make the jump from College to the Pros.

Sure, sure. If.