What if Trent becomes an above average QB???

The landscape of the NFL changes so much every year. If Trent doesn't work out, there WILL BE a Matt Schaub, a Donovan McNabb or a Jay Cutler who is out there via FA. The Bills need to be able to pounce (and pay) for one of these proven franchise QB's.

BFILV,I agree especially after this year because of the way FA was there will be a glut (and if there is no season next year a super glut) of good football players available. If the Bills have another sh1t season though there will still be a problem getting them to sign here.

BFILV,I agree especially after this year because of the way FA was there will be a glut (and if there is no season next year a super glut) of good football players available. If the Bills have another sh1t season though there will still be a problem getting them to sign here.

If there is a glut of talented players who are free a lot depends on how big the glut is. If enough players are free to do whatever the free market allows, then you need two other ingredients to start a competing league. They are capital and organization.

Now that the players have gained so much of the $ through the last CBA the addition of capital and organization sounds like the NFLPA to me.

Why would the players want to foster a new league?

The good old American way of competition. Just like the impact of the AFL delivered huge contracts to players like Namath and the advent of the ill fated USFL delivered huge $ to Jim Kelly, so too would the development of a competing league deliver more money to the players.

Ironically, this is one reason why the NFL might be reluctant to abandon Buffalo, If a new league forming were to coincide with the NFL walking away from Buffalo, an even semi-credible league would immediately have a franchise in Buffalo where there would be a pissed off fan base of 50,000 people with cash they would have spent on the Bills floating around out there with an empty stadium owned by Erie County.

The game would be IF the new product is credible enough to draw money from some networks the real cash cow would be accessed.

If someone as knowledgeable as Bill Walsh thought Trent had the potential to be a great QB, then I have to believe he possessed the skills to do just that. But what too many on this board assume is that great players just show up ready to play. The truth is they have to be nurtured by skilled coaches. Dick Jauron was a coaching succubus. He literally sucked the life out of his players with his banality.

Chan Gailey is probably the best coach around to bring out the best of Trent. If Edwards has the skills and he hasn't lost anything after the concussion, Chan will make Trent the best QB he is capable of becoming. How good is that? We'll see.

PTR

+1 Jauron probably did stunt TE's development badly along with the rest of the inept coaching staff. TE will only improve under Chan.

Imagine if Trent becomes as good as say a Matt Ryan. Is that good enough to pass on a QB in the first round next year?

I would say so. Even if Bell or Meredith develop, it is stil likely one of them won't leaving a hole at one of the tackle spots. If Trent becomes above average I would say they should draft OL. For that matter WR or another dynamic pass rusher could be of more instant impact. I just don't want to be sitting here next year wondering if Ryan Mallet, Jake Locher, or Andrew Luck can make the jump from College to the Pros.

:thumbsup:

As long as anyone connected with this team continues to give a guy with no in-game courage repeated shots at being the QB, this team will never lift itself out of this funk.