My 10 year old is starting FB & MLB.

PIZ

First thing I have a question about is what is the proper technique for running the ball. He will get the bulk of the carries (he's fast), but no one is really teaching him technique. He knows to take the handoff with the proper technique, but when should he switch from 2 hands on the ball to 1? Should that happen after he gets past the line, past the lb's? Last night at a scrimmage he fumbled twice at the lb level.

Also, what is the best mouthguard to get? I got him a Shock Doctor (it looks like a binky) and the thing is tearing apart after 8 practices.

Lastly, he has a pair of Cutters gloves, but doesn't wear them, because no one else on his team wears gloves. Just about every NFL and NCAA player wears them, so I would think youth players would benefit from them as well. Do most youth players wear them? If yes, what are the benefits to wearing them, and if not, why don't they wear them.

Thanks.

Don't worry too much about it. Consult with the coaches, set back and enjoy the show. The kid sounds like he's doing just fine. Remember its his game and let him develop on his own and get a love of the game. There will be lots of time to develop technique and the tricks of the trade in high school and beyond. If he gets out of youth football with a love of the game, discipline, and an ability to learn from the coaches, good sportsmanship and good friends he'll be way way ahead of the game. Congrats to an obviously proud dad.

First thing I have a question about is what is the proper technique for running the ball. He will get the bulk of the carries (he's fast), but no one is really teaching him technique. He knows to take the handoff with the proper technique, but when should he switch from 2 hands on the ball to 1? Should that happen after he gets past the line, past the lb's? Last night at a scrimmage he fumbled twice at the lb level.

Also, what is the best mouthguard to get? I got him a Shock Doctor (it looks like a binky) and the thing is tearing apart after 8 practices.

Lastly, he has a pair of Cutters gloves, but doesn't wear them, because no one else on his team wears gloves. Just about every NFL and NCAA player wears them, so I would think youth players would benefit from them as well. Do most youth players wear them? If yes, what are the benefits to wearing them, and if not, why don't they wear them.

Thanks.

Any mouth gaurd will do fine and if he doesnt like the gloves no need to wear them. I never wore them until college when my hands got cut up.

There really no proper technique as you described. Two hands on the ball when getting hit otherwise keep it snug in the arm closest to the sideline.

Don't worry too much about it. Consult with the coaches, set back and enjoy the show. The kid sounds like he's doing just fine. Remember its his game and let him develop on his own and get a love of the game. There will be lots of time to develop technique and the tricks of the trade in high school and beyond. If he gets out of youth football with a love of the game, discipline, and an ability to learn from the coaches, good sportsmanship and good friends he'll be way way ahead of the game. Congrats to an obviously proud dad.

Thanks. I am extremely proud of him. He LOVES it. He told me "I like baseball, but I was born to play football." It's really cool to watch.

Those were my positions. Have him keep two hands through the first level (the D-line). He can switch to one hand for the rest of the run to allow more mobility. Work with him at home on keeping the ball "high and tight". Have the head of the football peek through his middle and ring fingers. Make sure he keeps his arm and elbow underneath the ball without exposing the underside. Last but not least SQUEEZE! You can even do a drill with him for 5 minutes here and there where he jogs slowly and you try to knock the ball out. He'll get it in no time.

Shockdoctors are great mouthguards. I prefer the one's that don't have the pad on the outside. They're great for preventing dental injury. Maybe the one you got was a bad model?

Gloves are a personal preference. I liked them for LB but not RB. I had LB gloves that had a small amount of padding that was almost unnoticeable, and it helped. Under dry conditions gloves are great on offense, but when it gets slick I felt like they hurt me.

Hope this helps

Those were my positions. Have him keep two hands through the first level (the D-line). He can switch to one hand for the rest of the run to allow more mobility. Work with him at home on keeping the ball "high and tight". Have the head of the football peek through his middle and ring fingers. Make sure he keeps his arm and elbow underneath the ball without exposing the underside. Last but not least SQUEEZE! You can even do a drill with him for 5 minutes here and there where he jogs slowly and you try to knock the ball out. He'll get it in no time.

Shockdoctors are great mouthguards. I prefer the one's that don't have the pad on the outside. They're great for preventing dental injury. Maybe the one you got was a bad model?

Gloves are a personal preference. I liked them for LB but not RB. I had LB gloves that had a small amount of padding that was almost unnoticeable, and it helped. Under dry conditions gloves are great on offense, but when it gets slick I felt like they hurt me.

Hope this helps

Definitely helps. Thanks.

Junior All American Football coach here.......and my son played those positions as well at a certain point.....

- Protecting the ball.......he need to make sure that he is covering the points of the ball as this is how the ball is stripped by a defender most of the time (that and a helmet directly to the ball during a tackle) we taught that when in traffic you cover with both arms......when in the open field you make sure you are not carrying it like a loaf of bread....and you always move the ball to the sideline side if running down the sideline so if it does get knocked away from you it will probably go out of bounds......it is important for him to remember to "squeeze" the ball when a defender makes contact with him so the impact of the hit doesn't cause him to drop the ball

- Brett always used shock doctors

- Cutters makes a RB/LB glove that I like very much because it provides extra padding to the front of the hands where other players are making contact........and yet still has the grip in the palm areas.....plus they look really cool which is always important to players that age...:D

All in all its great fun.....remember to teach him to run low and "behind his pads"

Thanks.

Lets start with this. He is 10 years old the focus should be FUN.

Coaches should help with technique relative to holding the ball. The best rule is two hands (arms cradled) through the line and when in traffic (meaning around opposing players). Find out what the coaches are telling him and do not tell him something different. If you are asking this question then it is safe to assume they know more than you. You might be able to play a fun drill with him where he carries the ball and you playfully try to knock out. Let him win most of the time. Success breeds confidence.

Get a good mouth gaurd at a good sporting goods store. They prevent concussions and are very important.

Gloves - I would never recommend a 10 year old wear them. Gloves are for college and pro level. No gloves.

Thanks.

congrats to you and the boy! what an exciting time it must be for the both of you! i played RB & OLB from 8years old through high school and wish almost daily that i could relive some of those moments. nothing glorious even, just being young and smashing into your friends and opponents, and the fun that surrounded it.

first point to make is, as others have already stated, the main goal here should be FUN. no 10 year old is going to have "proper technique" at anything, so just let him play and let the coaches teach and he'll pick it up. just be suppotive no matter what mistakes he makes, he'll learn on his own with the help of the coaches. if he fumbles, oh well. be there to encourage him and tell him "no big deal, youll do better, just keep at it", dont make him run handoff drills in your backyard with you. too much pressure can ruin this quick.

in all my years of sports, i just used a cheapo, basic mouthguard and was fine. just make sure it fits properly. a $2 mouthguard that is fitted correctly is 100x better than a high-priced, state of the art one that doesnt fit in his mouth. IIRC, i used to go through a few a season, so expect to buy extras. again, the basic thick rubber one that you can boil and fit to your mouth always worked fine for me.

wrt gloves... i wouldnt bother with them except to help keep his hands warm as the season progresses into winter.

A lot of good pointers here.

I agree that at 10 years old, it should be all about fun. Let the coaches coach, is a good one, too. All too often we see (and hear) these ridiculous parents who think they are the coach, they just need to step aside and realize that as a parent, you are setting an example. Please don't be one of those knuckleheads that think they know better.

As far as the running, John from Hemet had good pointers. '3 points of the football' is good. Close to the body is even better. Carry the ball away from defenders if possible(i.e.- tackler coming from the right you would prefer to have that ball in your left hand/arm- away from the defender). Two hands on the ball and tight to the body when running in traffic. Cradle that arm as advised by others with the point of the ball squeezed in the fingers and the body of the ball close to his body/ribs/side. Don't use the ball for leverage and to run faster- don't keep it far away from the body. This makes one fumble prone.

The NFL Network just had Marshall Faulk talking about this, as even sensational RB Adrian Peterson in Minnesota suffered with fumble-itis because of holding the ball too far from his body.

Mouthpiece info above is good.

As far as gloves are concerned, at 10 years old I would be more concerned with learning how to catch and hold a ball withOUT gloves. Granted, in freezing rain October/ November in WNY gloves certainly feel better, but he should be learning the fundamentals right now and it does not get more basic than catching and holding a football while being pursued and tackled and under pressure. They look nice on TV, but at this point, let him have fun while learning the fundamentals.

First off congratulations your son is a real good athlete so far because MLB usually goes to the best player and the top running back spot also goes to the best player (I was a lineman clearly I wasn't the best athlete).

Look into some football coaching and training tapes, books, and programs/camps (Those camps provide direct assistance with top flight coaches BUT they do cost a pretty penny). If money is tight look into buying some football coaching DVD's and books and help coach him yourself. But wait till the end of the season to send him to camps or supplement the coaching football at age 10 should just be about fun. Still you might want to look at the books/DVD's and give him a few pointers yourself.

as for lb always read the guards they will lead you to the play always be in the guards back pocket if they are pulling pass blocking whatever. make sure too when your going after the ball carrier always be gaining ground first step should be forward if he s olb for pass make sure you cover the flats in a cover 3 you have safety help and be VOCAL

as for lb always read the guards they will lead you to the play always be in the guards back pocket if they are pulling pass blocking whatever. make sure too when your going after the ball carrier always be gaining ground first step should be forward if he s olb for pass make sure you cover the flats in a cover 3 you have safety help and be VOCAL

im not sure how advanced little league has become since I played 20 years ago, but id be surprised if they had pulling guards or much passing in the 10 year old league.

this level is just about basics. how to tackle properly by breaking down, keeping your head up, and driving through. etc. i dont think it will take much to "read the offense" as it's usually a run up the middle, or run to the outside.

however, i could be wrong. given how crazy parents are, they might have toddlers running the west coast offense... :D

and tape his ankles tape will help you save yourself from rolling them all the time i sprained my ankle right before half and my coach taped me up good that it felt fine til after the game when i took the tape off then it blew up the size of a softball

and get him a cowboy collar or neck roll. i always used one and one practice i took it off dont know why but i felt naked. the cowboy collar really saved my butt

agreed, these should be mandatory for all players at that level. too easy for a kid to have bad form and injure himself.

im not sure how advanced little league has become since I played 20 years ago, but id be surprised if they had pulling guards or much passing in the 10 year old league.

this level is just about basics. how to tackle properly by breaking down, keeping your head up, and driving through. etc. i dont think it will take much to "read the offense" as it's usually a run up the middle, or run to the outside.

however, i could be wrong. given how crazy parents are, they might have toddlers running the west coast offense... :D

Not a lot of passing in a 10 year old team....but we ran a wing T and I would pull guard and run the other way all the time......

It actually would be quite comical from the sideline.....so much "wheres the ball...wheres the ball"

z in the knee v in the arm head up step into the carrier wrap and rise

i know im writing alot and im not sure if its still like it was when i played little league but for extra points we used a run for and extra point and a pass for to points i played every position but tight end was fun escpecially if your the biggest kid on the team

Not a lot of passing in a 10 year old team....but we ran a wing T and I would pull guard and run the other way all the time......

It actually would be quite comical from the sideline.....so much "wheres the ball...wheres the ball"

hahaha, yes! the little tricks and trick plays. we used to love them as players, but i think the coaches got even more enjoyment watching the kids run around like little dummies.

If I can add another piece of advice as both a parent and a coach?

- Take your kid out for pizza after the games no matter how he did....and dont yell at him or the coaches from the sidelines. At that level you are trying to teach them fundamentals, having fun, and see if they want to do it the next year.

I coached for 3 years....had a son that went all the way through the age level, then through high school, and now is on to college and a few things I learned along the way......

- Whatever your kid is doing right now as far as position....that could totally change if he sticks with it. My son started out as a center and DT.....then the next year played corner and fullback....then started getting a little more serious about it....shedded weight and got faster.....then started playing RB, FB, TE, LB, and safety........by the time he was in HS he had settled into LB and FB/TE spots.......the kids will mature year to year so do pigeon hole him

- Dont scream at the coaches who are basically parents working with the kids....now I WILL say this. Be watchful of favoritism that goes on with parents/positions.....some of us just like to work with the kids (I coached JAAF kids that I now know as young men and its a great feeling to know them through the years and be a part of their lives) but not all have that same agenda.

PIZ, I have a 10 year old grandson in Peewee (ages 10-13) and I coach (assistant) and I love it! With Taylor, I am fairly sure that he doesn't love it yet and still doesn't LIKE the contact. One thing that coaches are teaching their MLB's now is to key the triangle or, if you will, the guards and the running back. If he can read the play by focusing on these three players INITIALLY, he probably will be guided right to the point of attack and get himself in the play. Hope that helps some!! As advised, enjoy every moment, they are fleeting!!

Like said above Gloves are personal preference...i used to wear them all the time but then i found i was depending on gloves to cathc the ball make the tackle ect. But once i switched to just my hands i became a better and more confident palyer but that was just me

Most of all its about fun. The memories i have from football are never the lessons on the field or any coaching i had, it was the expierence of sweating and bleeding and fighting for and with my teammates...Thats what i miss most... Thats what is important...especailly at that age

Had our first scrimmage and it was awesome. He ran one time on offense (I think they are saving him for the game) and went about 10 yards. On defense he played MLB, and made some mistakes. He is not used to tackling guys in the open field -I'm not sure what to tell him, other than don't overpursue (control his speed) and don't dive (he has a tendency to dive). He did have one monster hit on a kid on the sideline that sent the kid flying. My son is a big hitter, but like I said, he hasn't been real good at tackling kids where he has to run to them (last year he played DT). In practice they won't let him tackle kids other than lineman, because he hurts kids his size or smaller every time he tackles them, so he doesn't get much practice at going after RBs. I think he is getting frustrated he misses guys in the open field, so is my advice to him on controlling his speed and not diving good advice?

By the way, I didn't see the guards pulling in this scrimmage, but the center was out to block him on every play, and this kid was pretty intimidating. Shouldn't the DT be occupying the center?

Thanks for all the info.

Had our first scrimmage and it was awesome. He ran one time on offense (I think they are saving him for the game) and went about 10 yards. On defense he played MLB, and made some mistakes. He is not used to tackling guys in the open field -I'm not sure what to tell him, other than don't overpursue (control his speed) and don't dive (he has a tendency to dive). He did have one monster hit on a kid on the sideline that sent the kid flying. My son is a big hitter, but like I said, he hasn't been real good at tackling kids where he has to run to them (last year he played DT). In practice they won't let him tackle kids other than lineman, because he hurts kids his size or smaller every time he tackles them, so he doesn't get much practice at going after RBs. I think he is getting frustrated he misses guys in the open field, so is my advice to him on controlling his speed and not diving good advice?

By the way, I didn't see the guards pulling in this scrimmage, but the center was out to block him on every play, and this kid was pretty intimidating. Shouldn't the DT be occupying the center?

Thanks for all the info.

If he's diving when he's tackling, teach him to move with his feet first. Its a natural reaction to move your upper body first, to lunge. But if you can get it into his head to move his feet first, (nicely of course), it might cut down on the diving. Its mental, the first thought in his head should be..."move my feet towards the ball". You can do this in the back yard, have him run sideways, and just say "feet first" when he begins to run, or something similar to that...whatever works.

I did this with my son when he was that age, when I was teaching him to catch. After reminding him a few times, it finally sunk in. I threw the ball to the side, watched his feet take 2 steps, ball hit him in the chest. One of those proud parental moments when I saw the look of accomplishment on his face. He'll get the hang of it eventually

Whatever position he's playing, teach him to bend his knees, stay low. Probably one of the hardest things a kid that age has to learn. It isn't a natural human movement to move while crouching, not in the post neanderthal world, at least.

Have fun!

I would also encourage your son to watch Owen Marecic, Stanford’s starting FB and MLB. He plays the game correctly and always looks like he’s having fun (he’s my favorite player in CFB).

Owen is also a great kid by all accounts and is pre-med (3.98 gpa last semester). I’m always searching for positive role models for my little guys and Marecic fits the bill.

since ive coached youth football i throw my 2 cents in :P

use 2 hands on the ball in the " buffalo-area" ^^

to us that was up to LB-depth. once this area is cleared switch to outside hand and push off these tiny little DBs. if a DB is met headon its again 2-hands.

and really any mouthpiece will do

Thanks for all the info.

Dont feel bad my son was the same way as a linebacker when he first started out.....he was a thumper but if the ball carrier managed to stay on his feet he was in trouble because after that he was in trouble.......

Its all in the training of the technique......when I taught my son to tackle (this was REALLY YOUNG) I would get a kick out of showing him shows on TV on how a spider goes after its pray......or an octopus......when tackling you dont focus on the head or the feet of a ball carrier you focus right on the center of their body and "break them down" a nifty runner can juke his fed and his feet but the waist ain goin NOWHERE......then you hit....wrap...squeeze.

Oklahomas....lots of them

I'd recommend rib pads to protect against hits from the side. for some reason they are not standard football equipment, but were very helpful when i played. You can actually buy lacrosse rib pads (esp. when the players are only 10 as the hitting is not as severs) as they are less bulky than the football pads generally worn by QB's.

in regards to playing defense, make sure he keeps is head up and see what he hits. Facemask on the ball, across the body. Square up to the ball carrier if he is having trouble in the open field.

On offense have him attack the shoulders of the tacklers, and not let them get square hits on him

most importantly... he's 10, have fun!!!!