ESPN Text Alert - Schobel cut w/link

boyst

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to test the trade market (which clearly there wasnt one), you dont publicly say you are about to cut the guy. Clearly there was no market and as a sevice to a player who gave a lot of good years to this team and stayed out of trouble they cut him now. I dont have a problem with that. There was no point to drag it on.

Cutting him now sends a clear message to the team...show up and work, no one is above the team. It also shows confidence in our young guys and now they know the work they are putting in is being noticed and they really are playing for a starting spot.

I don't agree with it, or how any other NFL player keeps his teammates, fans and organization on pins and needles. The NFL should have a date BEFORE training camp where any player contemplating retirement needs to have their decision by or if they demand a trade, this should be worked out too. Between Favre and some other players this whole issue is a complete joke. Either play or don't play. And the Bills, just like the Sabres, always seem to get nothing in return.

If there is one thing that Nix has proved since he arrived here is that you cannot believe a word he says. What was it 24 hours ago he told the media that they would not release Schobel, now they release him. A week ago it was said that Schobel had all the time he needed and would be welcomed, then when the word got out that Schobel was looking for a place to rent, Nix told him he wasn't welcomed. Wishy Washy at best this guy is.

If there is one thing that Nix has proved since he arrived here is that you cannot believe a word he says. What was it 24 hours ago he told the media that they would not release Schobel, now they release him. A week ago it was said that Schobel had all the time he needed and would be welcomed, then when the word got out that Schobel was looking for a place to rent, Nix told him he wasn't welcomed. Wishy Washy at best this guy is.

Nix: Ralph I made a decision, to Keep Schobel aboard until it plays out.

Ralph: How much does it cost me if he shows up?

Nix: I he passes the physical, $6 Million.

Ralph: Cut him loose now.

Nix: It's a shame about Schobel not being able to stay aboard.

So which is it people? On one hand everyone is upset that we released him and didnt trade him (which was a pipe dream that there was a market for him anyway)...and the same people are upset saying that Nix said we wouldnt just outright cut him 24 hours ago. What was Nix supposed to do? Say they were planning on cutting him then try and trade him? How does that make any sense. If you wanted him traded then Nix had NO choice but to say we wouldnt cut him, yet now thats being used against him too.

Of course he said we would not be cutting him in an attempt to see if there was any interest out there at all for a trade. Clearly there was none, so they went ahead and cut him. With all the rumors of us intending to cut him, his public statements about losing a step and not practicing hard or training hard, as well as his $8 million dollar a year salary, there was just no market what so ever for him.

Nix: Ralph I made a decision, to Keep Schobel aboard until it plays out.

Ralph: How much does it cost me if he shows up?

Nix: I he passes the physical, $6 Million.

Ralph: Cut him loose now.

Nix: It's a shame about Schobel not being able to stay aboard.

If they cut him before the first game it wouldn't have cost them $6 mil. This wasn't a cost cutting move, and to suggest it was is dumb.

There has to be some type of hidden upside to the Bills besides the money to be saved, I have a weird feeling we are probably going to be saying, Nix was brilliant somehow. This just seems to obvious to not have another side to it, it's gotta be a extra pick.

There has to be some type of hidden upside to the Bills besides the money to be saved, I have a weird feeling we are probably going to be saying, Nix was brilliant somehow. This just seems to obvious to not have another side to it, it's gotta be a extra pick.

Nope. We cut him and there is no compensation.

Compensation is only granted when you lose a player to FA.

The reason the Bills cut him: Schobel had 4 years left on his contract. That means if the Bills were to trade him, the team who picks him up has to assume that 4 year contract. Given that Schobel is already considering retirement, no team is going to get tangled up in a 4 year contract for a player that is likely gone after 1 year. Bad economics=no offers for the bills=cut

If they cut him before the first game it wouldn't have cost them $6 mil. This wasn't a cost cutting move, and to suggest it was is dumb.

His 2010 salary was guaranteed. If he showed-up, the Bills would have owed him $8M.

The Bills heard NE was interested so they cut him ASAP. Can't wait to watch Schobel be the one to take out our QB. And didn't Nix just tell everyone Schobel wasn't going anywhere? Gotta love our honest GM. B-)

Well...we'll find out how smart Nix is in the next few days if this over the hill nobody of no trade value gets picked up. We'll REALLY know how smart Nix is Schobel gets playing time or (GOD FORBID) actually starts for some team.