Recent roster changes likely a real endorsement of Maybin

Hplarrm

I am not sure whether it is the raw speed he is showing in camp or maybe it was interpretation of his fight in camp shows some feistiness but my guess as to the major implication of the decision to cut Schobel while the OLB position is being hit with some real injuries is that this appears to me to likely be a sign that the braintrust is more confident of Maybin than they were a few days ago!

Or AS let them know he wouldn't be in for a while longer than he said, or they were trying to force his hand for money reasons or they just wanted to know and AS wouldn't call them back or........... but I hope you are right.

I suspect the Schobel situation has very little to do with Maybin.

I for one hope that the issue of whether the Bills have a player of sufficient quality to replace a player they decide to let go is an integral part of that decision.

If instead the Bills make decisions about individual player based solely on bottomline finance perhaps that explains the teams decade long failure to make the playoffs.

I think the AS decison is more about rebuilding than it is an endorsement of Maybin.

I haven't seen much, but what I have Maybin hasn't lit it up. He's raw, transitioning to a new position and needs to get NFL ready. He was a bad pick, always a project, and we will see that this year. In a year - maybe the situation is different, but I can't see him delivering much this year.

I for one hope that the issue of whether the Bills have a player of sufficient quality to replace a player they decide to let go is an integral part of that decision.

If instead the Bills make decisions about individual player based solely on bottomline finance perhaps that explains the teams decade long failure to make the playoffs.

Just because the Schobel situation is linked to Maybin doesn't mean the decisions on Schobel are or have to be.

They did make that decision last season when they cut Walker and put Bell as the starting LT....One of the reasons for the spiraling down season.

They did make that decision last season when they cut Walker and put Bell as the starting LT....One of the reasons for the spiraling down season.

No offense bro, but I don't think the loss of a looping pass rusher who is less than stout against the run will send our team into a similar downward spiral. I think the firing of Schonert so late in the preseason had the largest impact of all though.

I am not sure whether it is the raw speed he is showing in camp or maybe it was interpretation of his fight in camp shows some feistiness but my guess as to the major implication of the decision to cut Schobel while the OLB position is being hit with some real injuries is that this appears to me to likely be a sign that the braintrust is more confident of Maybin than they were a few days ago!

It has nothing to do with the undersized punk that, according to reports, keeps getting thrown on his Butt at camp.

It has to do with a nearly 34 year old that was above average to good at best making GREAT player money trying to pull a Favre when he isn't even close to being good enough to do so.

It has to do with a staff with balls that put an end to his BS. As long as Nix is in charge there wont' be any 'farve watches' in Buffalo. Get your ass to camp on time or else.

I think the AS decison is more about rebuilding than it is an endorsement of Maybin.

I haven't seen much, but what I have Maybin hasn't lit it up. He's raw, transitioning to a new position and needs to get NFL ready. He was a bad pick, always a project, and we will see that this year. In a year - maybe the situation is different, but I can't see him delivering much this year.

I think it's about the makeup of the team - the days of not having issues resolved among players and OBD are over. You don't want to get to work we don't need you. This is an example of the new mindset when it comes to this team, you're with us or you're not going to be here. It sets an example to the rest of the players in the locker room about what the expectations are as a player. This mindset is predicated on being able to draft quality players, and if Buddy can do that we'll have a team that is very competitive again.

I think it's about the makeup of the team - the days of not having issues resolved among players and OBD are over. You don't want to get to work we don't need you. This is an example of the new mindset when it comes to this team, you're with us or you're not going to be here. It sets an example to the rest of the players in the locker room about what the expectations are as a player. This mindset is predicated on being able to draft quality players, and if Buddy can do that we'll have a team that is very competitive again.

+1

The Bills have not "cut" Schobel, and I hope they never do this year. And for once, I applaud the Bills for taking a stance that may not be the smartest move based on the lack of talent they now have at OLB. Sure, we all hope Maybin fits into his new OLB role like a leather glove, and gets 13 sacks this season. But I don't think the Bills made the decision to refuse to allow Schobel to play this year because of their new found confidence that Maybin may actually break out.

I think Buddy just got pissed off at Schobel's b.s., and I don't blame him one bit. For all the times I slam the Bills for being too cheap to go after the very best FA's, here's a player they have always overpaid, who turns his back on a 2 Million dollar roster bonus, because he's just "not sure" if he really wants to play for the only team he's ever been on anymore. Boo hoo, poor baby. After the Bills have only dumped 33 million dollars into his bank account, this is how he "repays" them.

No, I hope Nix absolutely does not cut Schobel, allowing him to mosey onto any other team he feels like joining, at any point this season. Just leave him on that "Reserve/Did Not Report" list right through February, and make him "come back" next season, (if there is a 2011 season that is) at 34 years old. The only reason he is "contemplating retirement" in my humble opinion, is that he just doesn't want to play for the Bills anymore. He would have been better off honestly walking into Buddy Nix's office the first or second day Nix was on the job, and respectfully asked to be traded. If Nix was unable to make a fair trade, then he was obligated to report for at least the mandatory mini-camps, and training camp, and play for the Bills this season. He would have earned another 6 million dollars of undeserved pay, and as long as he remained healthy and had a decent season, would have put himself in a better position to get traded next season.

Would you bring a 4-3 DE of Aaron Schobel's talent in to play linebacker for 8 million on a one year contract?

If you spent more than two seconds going, "Hell No" then you should look up the product called "Head On" that you apply directly to the forehead and eat about 3 tubes of it. You'll either die or have some sort of brain trauma that turns you into a savant. Either way, it's a step up the intelligence ladder.

Since when you can you leave a player on the reserve/did not report list if he shows up?

It has nothing to do with the undersized punk that, according to reports, keeps getting thrown on his Butt at camp.

It has to do with a nearly 34 year old that was above average to good at best making GREAT player money trying to pull a Favre when he isn't even close to being good enough to do so.

It has to do with a staff with balls that put an end to his BS. As long as Nix is in charge there wont' be any 'farve watches' in Buffalo. Get your ass to camp on time or else.

Apparently, you have not been to camp, or have seen none of the video. Maybin has had quite a few sacks and pressures during TC, so far.

Agreed. I think Nix and Gailey are sending a message to the players, just as Shanny is trying to do in Washington. Show up, participate, work hard and you play. No exceptions. It's a fairly bold statement when they tell the team's 2nd all time sack leader and perhaps most consistent lineman over the last half decade that his services are no longer required. (although it would have been more bold it they did it prior to training camp)

Also, they're not cutting him. So, this isn't a case of a player not wanting to be here so they allow him to go somewhere else and be happy. They're basically saying retire or trade. So, the Bills get something in return if he does play elsewhere. Otherwise, thanks for the memories.

I always liked Schobel and wish him well. But, I'd say it's been well handled by Nix.

I suspect the Schobel situation has very little to do with Maybin.

Agreed. The Schoebel decision was entirely independant of Maybin. From what I read, Maybin is getting pushed around like a rag doll at the point of attack. And took a cheap shot at Fred Jackson. And talks like he's an all-pro. Thanks Russ Brandon , tom Modrak, or Dick Jauron for the Bills worst #1 draft pick the past decade.

Agreed. The Schoebel decision was entirely independant of Maybin. From what I read, Maybin is getting pushed around like a rag doll at the point of attack. And took a cheap shot at Fred Jackson. And talks like he's an all-pro. Thanks Russ Brandon , tom Modrak, or Dick Jauron for the Bills worst #1 draft pick the past decade.

From what you've read. Then you haven't read accounts of him getting in the backfield consistently, huh? I guess that doesn't fit what you choose to want to believe. The hit on Jackson was not all that cheap either. Watch the video. The whistle had not even blown yet. And what has he said that has you convinced he thinks he's an all pro? Only thing I've read is him talking about needing to work hard, having to step up and play better, etc.

You Maybin haters still have your tampons in a bunch because he held out and had a non-existent impact on last season. Fine. I understand that. But all this he talks too much or acts a certain way, blah, blah is straight Bull.