Trent and reality...

I just dont understand something...where does the optimism come from with Trent Edwards? Seriously, I cant find a single thing he has done since high school to have the kind of "potential" label and optimism placed on him like it does on this board. I mean even comparison threads to playes elite QBs like Brees come up for him, but his college career was bad and so is his NFL career...

So I decided to dig a little bit to see what I was missing. Turns out it just got worse...here are some overlooked facts about Trent...seriously, read these as they are not very encouraging to say the least...

Only had more TD's than INTs just ONCE in college (17-7)

Only had more TD's than INTS's just ONCE in NFL (11-10)

Only had more than 11 TD's in a season ONCE since HIGH SCHOOL

Only had a 300 yard game ONCE since HIGH SCHOOL

Never had a winning season or .500 season in college

Has thrown for more than 1 TD only 15 times since HIGH SCHOOL (6 of those were in 1 season at Stanford)

Has alomost the same number of games with more than 1 turnover (14 times) in that same span

Has ZERO seasons without injury since High School

Stanford won just 1 game his last year, and it a game he did NOT play in due to injury.

Serous question...where on Earth does the "potential" come from? Why does this guy who was not good in college or the NFL get so many excuses made for him and then players like Lee Evans who were studs in college and started off great in the NFL (until he started catching passes from Trent) get slammed for not catching more imginary passes that dont get thrown to him by this inept QB?

Is it the Bill Walsh endorsement? I mean Walsh is the same guy who said Jim Drunkenmiller would be the next great SF QB and that JJ Stokes was going to be the next Rice (even trading up for him)...I mean, he had a great eye and was one of the best, but he was wrong plenty of times. Not to mention had been away from football for a while when he endorsed Trent.

Never have I ever seen someone survive so loooonnnnggg on their high school hype, becaue I cant find anything to warrant it from his college career nor NFL career thus far.

I've got to admit, I liked T. Edwards when he took over for J.P., and the Walsh endorsement only helped. But, I liked J.P. when he first started, too. Watching T. Edwards last year was, in my opinion, watching the worst play of any QB I've ever seen. It was painful to watch. It was obvious he had some kind of mental problem, fear related, going on. What I liked about him when he started, though, was that despite not doing anything overwhelming, the offense stayed on the field longer, much more so than with J.P., and was consistent - not great, but consistent, and therefor the defense played better. The whole team played much better. It might be that his limitations were found out quickly by opposing defensive coordinators, or that he just fell apart mentally after getting hit too much - I don't know, but I think if he starts this year over a guy who could have potential (in Brohm), then he better play really good, much better than average, because we know what he has, and we've seen him fall apart, and that isn't worth holding someone else back (Brohm) from developing or not.

I don't want to have any excuses next offseason for not drafting the top QB - like not having evaluated our guys enough. Either we have a star QB, or we need one. It's that clear to me.

I've got to admit, I liked T. Edwards when he took over for J.P., and the Walsh endorsement only helped. But, I liked J.P. when he first started, too. Watching T. Edwards last year was, in my opinion, watching the worst play of any QB I've ever seen. It was painful to watch. It was obvious he had some kind of mental problem, fear related, going on. What I liked about him when he started, though, was that despite not doing anything overwhelming, the offense stayed on the field longer, much more so than with J.P., and was consistent - not great, but consistent, and therefor the defense played better. The whole team played much better. It might be that his limitations were found out quickly by opposing defensive coordinators, or that he just fell apart mentally after getting hit too much - I don't know, but I think if he starts this year over a guy who could have potential (in Brohm), then he better play really good, much better than average, because we know what he has, and we've seen him fall apart, and that isn't worth holding someone else back (Brohm) from developing or not.

I don't want to have any excuses next offseason for not drafting the top QB - like not having evaluated our guys enough. Either we have a star QB, or we need one. It's that clear to me.

I hear ya, but I think his early favortism came more from the fact that he wasnt JP. I mean, some of that is going on now with Fitz who is probably less talented than Trent, yet despite his bad play last year the offense appeared more effective with him than Trent. So now some people are calling for Fitz, yet he isnt any good either.

If Chan can turn Trent into a solid QB or better, than great. I will even wear my Trent jersey again in support of him. But, I just dont really think Trent has it in him mainly because there is no history at any level of any prior success. Of course even if Chan can get something out of him, it would remain to be seen how long he could even stay on the field. I really dont think Trent will enter week 1 as the starter, especially after the positive comments by Chan on Brohm. He may be atop the pecking order to start TC as a formality, but I just dont see the upside in rolling with him over someone like Brohm who offers more upside.

And if none of them can win over the staff, then we will be getting a QB next year very early in the first round.

I just dont understand something...where does the optimism come from with Trent Edwards? Seriously, I cant find a single thing he has done since high school to have the kind of "potential" label and optimism placed on him like it does on this board. I mean even comparison threads to playes elite QBs like Brees come up for him, but his college career was bad and so is his NFL career...

So I decided to dig a little bit to see what I was missing. Turns out it just got worse...here are some overlooked facts about Trent...seriously, read these as they are not very encouraging to say the least...

Has ZERO winning seasons since HIGH SCHOOL

Has ZERO .500 seasons since High School

Has thrown for more than 1 TD only 15 times since HIGH SCHOOL (6 of those were in 1 season at Stanford)

Has alomost the same number of games with more than 1 turnover (14 times) in that same span

Stanford won just 1 game his last year, and it a game he did NOT play in due to injury.

Serous question...where on Earth does the "potential" come from? Why does this guy who was not good in college or the NFL get so many excuses made for him and then players like Lee Evans who were studs in college and started off great in the NFL (until he started catching passes from Trent) get slammed for not catching more imginary passes that dont get thrown to him by this inept QB?

Is it the Bill Walsh endorsement? I mean Walsh is the same guy who said Jim Drunkenmiller would be the next great SF QB and that JJ Stokes was going to be the next Rice (even trading up for him)...I mean, he had a great eye and was one of the best, but he was wrong plenty of times. Not to mention had been away from football for a while when he endorsed Trent.

Never have I ever seen someone survive so loooonnnnggg on their high school hype, becaue I cant find anything to warrant it from his college career nor NFL career thus far.

Thanks for the great dig. I love the research you did in exposing Trentative's past. I hope Gailey reads this before he announces the pecking order.

I have read many versions of Bill Walsh's so called endorsement. Several of them were quite mild edorsements, while others seem strong...so what's the real version? Bill Walsh is not around to clarify. And hey...not all the gurus are always right. I remember Bill Cowher saying two years ago that the Bills are the team to watch. Well...we watched, & then we agonized.

I predict TE will be #1 in the pecking order, but will be overtaken by Brohm early on...& Fitz will be the odd man out because of his inaccuracy. If we want what we always got, let's do what we've always done. If TE is our guy all season, I fear we'll just get more of the same.

I hear ya, but I think his early favortism came more from the fact that he wasnt JP. I mean, some of that is going on now with Fitz who is probably less talented than Trent, yet despite his bad play last year the offense appeared more effective with him than Trent. So now some people are calling for Fitz, yet he isnt any good either.

If Chan can turn Trent into a solid QB or better, than great. I will even wear my Trent jersey again in support of him. But, I just dont really think Trent has it in him mainly because there is no history at any level of any prior success. Of course even if Chan can get something out of him, it would remain to be seen how long he could even stay on the field. I really dont think Trent will enter week 1 as the starter, especially after the positive comments by Chan on Brohm. He may be atop the pecking order to start TC as a formality, but I just dont see the upside in rolling with him over someone like Brohm who offers more upside.

And if none of them can win over the staff, then we will be getting a QB next year very early in the first round.

Well, the only good thing about our QB situation this year is that if the starter, whoever it may be, goes down with injury, there is really no dropoff in production. We have a Yugo when we need a Porsche. Let's face it, NONE of the QBs we have on our roster would have a job anywhere other than Canada. We'll trade for the Chroisen one!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80bc...into-contenders

Edwards has turned longtime-counterfeit Bills into contenders B-):D:lol:

By Vic Carucci NFL.com

Bills fans have embraced quarterback Trent Edwards, who has first-place Buffalo out to a 5-1 record.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Trent Edwards' game isn't defined by a particularly great throwing arm or by particularly nimble feet.

His game is defined by his intelligence -- by his thorough study and understanding of the opponent, by his field vision, and, most of all, by his decision-making. Edwards is all about quickly and accurately reading the coverage and quickly and accurately getting the ball out of his hands and into the hands of a receiver.

So when he took that hard hit from Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson two weeks ago, when the back of his helmet slammed to the ground and he suffered a scary-looking concussion, the immediate concern inside the Bills' locker room and among Buffalo fans everywhere was that the young quarterback's greatest asset might somehow be compromised.

With Edwards missing for most of the game and J.P. Losman making repeated mistakes in his place, the Bills were overwhelmed by the Cardinals, 41-17. Losman wasn't the sole reason for the debacle, but the outcome did provide a vivid picture of just how bad things could be for the Bills without the man who had helped guide them to a surprising 4-0 start.

By comparison, Sunday's 23-14 victory over the Chargers -- a bizarre game delayed by nearly 15 minutes because of a power outage caused by party balloons becoming entangled in power lines just outside of Ralph Wilson Stadium -- was an indication of just how far the Bills can go with Edwards at the controls.

Through six games, Edwards has completed 70 percent of his passes, including 83 percent on Sunday.

Trent Edwards in 2008

Opp. Gm Com.-Att. Yards TD-INT Result

SEA 1 19-30 215 1-0 W 34-10

at JAX 2 20-25 239 1-0 W 20-16

OAK 3 24-39 279 1-1 W 24-23

at STL 4 15-25 197 1-1 W 31-14

at ARI 5 3-3 18 0-0 L 41-17

S.D. 6 25-30 261 1-0 W 23-14

If the widely held view that the 3-4 Chargers are/were an elite team without an elite record was accurate, then the 5-1 Bills legitimately belong in that elite category as well. And the main reason is Edwards, who was the biggest difference-maker against San Diego by completing 25 of 30 passes for 261 yards and a touchdown and no interceptions.

Break out the party balloons!

It was a typical Edwards game -- smart, efficient, effective -- and it proved to be extraordinary as his completion percentage of 83.33 broke Jim Kelly's franchise record of 82.16. He didn't let anything bother him. Not the first concussion of his 24 years on the planet, which caused him to miss the first of the Bills' two weeks of practice during their bye. Not the stadium's intermittent loss of power, which directly resulted in his being flagged for a delay-of-game penalty because the play clock wasn't working (San Diego's Philip Rivers also got the same penalty). Not the fact his starting center, Melvin Fowler, was sidelined with an injury.

"That was really impressive, wasn't it?" Bills coach Dick Jauron said of Edwards, sounding as if he was sharing an observation while watching the game with a bunch of friends. "The guy is just a good football player -- a very, very good football player."

Chargers strong safety Clinton Hart was extremely impressed by his first close-up view of the second-year quarterback. Like other San Diego defenders, he felt a combination of frustration and helplessness as Edwards completed 14 of his first 15 throws and went 19-for-21 through the first half.

"He's precise, he's on point," Hart said. "He managed the ball well. He did a good job of getting the ball to the receivers. My hat's off to him."

"I thought Trent Edwards went out there and played a great game," Chargers defensive tackle Luis Castillo said. "He got rid of the ball fast at times and made it hard for us to get to him."

That was the story of the game and could very well prove to be the story of what is looking more and more like a Bills run to the postseason. Generally speaking, Edwards is tough to sack. The Chargers, who entered the game with 14 sacks, never got him to the ground with the ball. He has only been dumped 11 times in six games, and for the most part doesn't take a lot of hits in the pocket.

With Edwards upright, the Bills can take full advantage of one of the league's best receivers, Lee Evans, who finished Sunday's game with eight receptions and a touchdown. They also can utilize a pair of solid pass-catching running backs, Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson, and get maximum production from journeyman tight end Robert Royal.

The Arizona blowout notwithstanding, Buffalo also looks to have a playoff-quality defense. The Bills intercepted Rivers once and forced him to fumble twice.

When it comes to special teams, the Bills remain the league's gold standard.

During the offseason, Buffalo safety Donte Whitner guaranteed the Bills would reach the postseason. It was a bold call given the team's eight-year postseason drought.

On Sunday, Whitner was feeling even more confident about his prediction than he had been after the 4-0 start.

"I'm not a foolish guy," he said. "I'm not going to guarantee something if I don't believe in it, and if the guys on this team don't believe in it. I made (the guarantee) because of the participation that we had in (offseason workouts) and the knowledge that guys have."

Especially the guy playing quarterback.

"He's got a bright future in this league," Hart said of Edwards. "Hopefully, we see him later on."

Not trying to be a dick but how did you end up with his jersey in the first place?

I bought it. Like most people, I had hope for him early on until he played his way out of favor for me. Now I just get ragged on when I wear it and stopped wearing it after the Cle debacle.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80bc...into-contenders

Edwards has turned longtime-counterfeit Bills into contenders B-):D:lol:

By Vic Carucci NFL.com

Its too bad that those guys didnt actually watch those whole games, otherwise they would have seen Trent struggle in vast majority of the Jax, Oak, and Rams games. In fact, we struggled to move the ball all game in all 3 with Trent having really bad first halves in those games. ST, Mitchell, Lynch, Freddie, etc made huge plays to make those wins happen or we would have lost all 3.

Lets not forget they were all against some of the worst teams in football too. We got a lot of hype because of the preseasson belief Jax and Sea were going to be good, so thats why peoples eyes opened up becuase it looked like quality wins at the time since they were the first 2 games...later it would be known that neither team was very good that year and neither was Trent.

So, again, why do those few games somehow hype him up to Bills fans?

Bill Walsh saw Joe Montana everywhere. He endorsed Rick Mirer as "the next Joe"

"...So to recap, over the last several years, Walsh has seen bits and pieces of Joe in the following people:

* Rick Mirer (dubbed "the next Joe" by Walsh prior to the 1993 NFL draft);

* Steve Stenstrom (Walsh mistakenly referred to Stenstrom as "Joe" during an interview in his second coaching stint at Stanford);

* Jake Plummer

* Jeff Garcia "

http://www.49erhaters.com/revisionist.html

Just to add some fairness and balance to the discussion (because up to now, there has been none), one of the reasons why Trent Edwards is still highly regarded is the following (and quarterbacks who excelled in high school carry that advantage with them for a long time):

"Trent Edwards was a highly-rated recruit from Los Gatos High School and was ranked as the #1 pro-style quarterback by USA Today in 2001.[1] Rivals rated Edwards as the #2 pro-style quarterback and #20 player overall in its rankings.[2] He was recruited by Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame and Tennessee, but ultimately chose Stanford. In his junior and senior seasons at Los Gatos, he led the team to two undefeated seasons and back-to-back Central Coast Section Division III championships. In his senior year, he completed 154 of 213 passes for 2,535 yards, 29 touchdowns, three interceptions, and was named as a National Football Foundation Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete for Santa Clara County."

The other factor that has to be mentioned in fairness (if anyone is concerned about fairness) is that at Stanford as with the Buffalo Bills, Trent Edwards has played under inarguably inept and incompetent regimes.

You may now return to the regularly scheduled bashing.

Thanks for the great dig. I love the research you did in exposing Trentative's past. I hope Gailey reads this before he announces the pecking order.

I have read many versions of Bill Walsh's so called endorsement. Several of them were quite mild edorsements, while others seem strong...so what's the real version? Bill Walsh is not around to clarify. And hey...not all the gurus are always right. I remember Bill Cowher saying two years ago that the Bills are the team to watch. Well...we watched, & then we agonized.

I predict TE will be #1 in the pecking order, but will be overtaken by Brohm early on...& Fitz will be the odd man out because of his inaccuracy. If we want what we always got, let's do what we've always done. If TE is our guy all season, I fear we'll just get more of the same.

If CG changes his "pecking order" after reading Alphadawg's latest anti Edwards screed, then he needs to leave OBD.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But Trent played for, at the time, the worst program in the Pac 10. And then, we was "lucky" enough to get drafted by one of the worst teams in the NFL. Not that he made either any better, but those two programs didnt do him any favors either.

Just to add some fairness and balance to the discussion (because up to now, there has been none), one of the reasons why Trent Edwards is still highly regarded is the following (and quarterbacks who excelled in high school carry that advantage with them for a long time):

"Trent Edwards was a highly-rated recruit from Los Gatos High School and was ranked as the #1 pro-style quarterback by USA Today in 2001.[1] Rivals rated Edwards as the #2 pro-style quarterback and #20 player overall in its rankings.[2] He was recruited by Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame and Tennessee, but ultimately chose Stanford. In his junior and senior seasons at Los Gatos, he led the team to two undefeated seasons and back-to-back Central Coast Section Division III championships. In his senior year, he completed 154 of 213 passes for 2,535 yards, 29 touchdowns, three interceptions, and was named as a National Football Foundation Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete for Santa Clara County."

The other factor that has to be mentioned in fairness (if anyone is concerned about fairness) is that at Stanford as with the Buffalo Bills, Trent Edwards has played under inarguably inept and incompetent regimes.

Yeah lets talk about all of those rival highly rated QB's shall we? How many actually panned out? There is a top 5 every year so where are they? If they were so !@#$ing good then wouldn't the NFL be full of great QB's?

Bottom line he sucks. He wasn't that great in HS, Sucked in College and Sucks in the NFL.

Yeah lets talk about all of those rival highly rated QB's shall we? How many actually panned out? There is a top 5 every year so where are they? If they were so !@#$ing good then wouldn't the NFL be full of great QB's?

Bottom line he sucks. He wasn't that great in HS, Sucked in College and Sucks in the NFL.

and he still wont return your emails?

That was my point...he has lived on the high school hype through everything while producing very little on the field. Thats why I dont get. There are dozens of these kind of recruits at every position every year and some go on to have success and some dont. I have never seen someone live on their high school resume as long as him.

You are right on man, I have been saying Trent is not the answer since I first saw him play. The guy is a good back up at best,I believe I called him a clipboard holder a couple years ago and got a bunch of you guys panties in a wad. He will never be great, Losman looks better than him!

I am perplexed by your oft repeated comment that Trent “sucked” in college. It’s no secret that Trent played on some horrific teams at Stanford. He had a lousy offensive line and, even worse, questionable targets. I remember one game where Trent’s starting WRs were both walk-ons. One local columnist suggested that Trent sue Stanford for lack of support. Despite that, Trent was first team freshman all Pac-10 and ranks in the top 10 for Stanford in career yards, completions and touchdowns. He was also team captain and team MVP. Admittedly, his college statistics were good, not great. But for those of us who actually watched him play at Stanford, I submit that Trent was an excellent college player.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But Trent played for, at the time, the worst program in the Pac 10. And then, we was "lucky" enough to get drafted by one of the worst teams in the NFL. Not that he made either any better, but those two programs didnt do him any favors either.

correct me if I'm wrong but he CHOSE to go to the worst program in the Pac-10, did he not?

correct me if I'm wrong but he CHOSE to go to the worst program in the Pac-10, did he not?

He sure did. He must have realized that football isn't everything and wanted to get that Stanford education. Shame on him!

To be fair, Trent did not choose to go to the worst program in the Pac-10. During Trent's senior year of high school Stanford went 9-3, playing in the Aloha Bowl. This turned out to be Ty Willingham's last year at Stanford (where he compiled a 44-36 record). I don't think anyone could have predicted the disaster that was the Buddy Teevens/Walt Harris era.

To be fair, Trent did not choose to go to the worst program in the Pac-10. During Trent's senior year of high school Stanford went 9-3, playing in the Aloha Bowl. This turned out to be Ty Willingham's last year at Stanford (where he compiled a 44-36 record). I don't think anyone could have predicted the disaster that was the Buddy Teevens/Walt Harris era.

and he couldve transferred too, just like mallett, or mike paulus, or the hundreds of other transfers. he could've gone to any # of big time programs, but chose to go to Stanford, fine college, not a great football program.

He sure did. He must have realized that football isn't everything and wanted to get that Stanford education. Shame on him!
that wasnt the point at all, but sure, go ahead and jump to that conclusion if you want to.

Meaning no disrespect CB, but what was your point?

Meaning no disrespect CB, but what was your point?

My point was that saying the program at stanford "didn't do him any favors" is a BS excuse, he chose to play there, with offers from michigan and florida on the table among others, Trent chose Stanford, and he didnt make that team any better.

i'm sure he got a great education and will be very successful putting that degree to use in the VERY near future, however, he had better options and didnt take'em.

he couldve transferred to another program, maybe a good program, instead he stayed at the crappy one, content with mediocrity.

As someone mentioned earlier, he has been living off his HS rep for years without ever really producing anything of merit, he got the endorsement of an aging football god, and all of a sudden nothing is his fault, there's always some other reason he fails, and I'm tired of hearing it.

BTW, here's a short list of top rated qbs coming out of HS recently:

2003-Chris leak, kyle wright, jamarcus russell, robert lane, syvelle newton.

2004-Rhett Bomar, Anthony Morelli, brian brohm

2005: Ryan Perriloux, jonathan crompton, harrison beck

2006: mitch mustain, juice williams, jevaen snead

Being highly touted in HS is not a free pass for being ****ty for the rest of your career, evreything ive seen from trent since the arizona game points to him being timid and unsure of himself, his career YPA college and pro has never gone over 7.0, meaning he's a small ball QB to begin with WHICH IS PROBABLY WHY BILL WALSH LIKED HIM SO MUCH. he lost the locker room last year and has yet to show he can be an effective leader.

frankly, im tired of alll the excuses for his failure to date, he's had 3 yrs and has done nothing (when healthy) to warrant the support that he somehow still has.

thats all

Thanks for the good answer, CB.

Actually I was the first one to bring up Trent's high school career in response to the original poster, Alphadawg, asking why Trent has been receiving (in Alpha's opinion) so much benefit of the doubt.

"Just to add some fairness and balance to the discussion (because up to now, there has been none), one of the reasons why Trent Edwards is still highly regarded is the following (and quarterbacks who excelled in high school carry that advantage with them for a long time)"

I then posted Trent's sterling high school credentials as one factor in answering Alpha's query.

I was not making excuses for Trent, nor was I being a Trent apologist.

On the other hand, I'm not hostile towards Trent, nor do I wish him to fail.

As long as someone gives the Bills quality quarterbacking, I don't care who that person is.

edit: And I refuse to root against anyone wearing a Buffalo Bills uniform.

he couldve transferred to another program, maybe a good program, instead he stayed at the crappy one, content with mediocrity.

One other thing.

There's a lot of positive things you could say about a person who makes a commitment to a program, and stays true to that commitment.

I really disagree with your take on this point.

One other thing.

There's a lot of positive things you could say about a person who makes a commitment to a program, and stays true to that commitment.

I really disagree with your take on this point.

no problem with TE staying at Stanford, no problem at all, however, choosing to stick with the sinking ship doesnt absolve him for his lack of productivity.

no problem with TE staying at Stanford, no problem at all, however, choosing to stick with the sinking ship doesnt absolve him for his lack of productivity.

So are you saying that even if the team around him truly sucked, he should be faulted for his "lack of productivity"....because he didn't transfer?

And should he just picked up the phone to a top program and say "OK, I've had enough with Stanford. I'm coming next week."?