Why are YOU a BILLS fan?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not exactly a choice. If you grew up in Buffalo and were exposed to a live home game at a young impressionable age, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. It's not just a sports team. It's more than a love affair - it's a marriage. 'They're part of the extended family. Til death do us part.

We're the Linus Van Pelt's of the sports world. We approach every year with unbridled optimism, hoping that maybe this will be the year The Great Pumpkin (ie-Lombardi Trophy) comes to us. We're also Charlie Brown, convinced that this will be the time that Lucy doesn't pull the ball away when we try to kick it.

Why are we Bills fans? 'Cause we're blockheads, that's why.

Yeah, same as everyone else...

+1

I saw the parade that brought them to town and saw many a game in war memorial. Can still name the starting lineup of our AFL championship team, including Paul Maguire the Punter and second (or maybe third) string linebacker. I was in the service during the horribly bad years of Dan Darragh and Kay Stephenson and their ilk. Came back for Joe Ferguson and the Juice. The Superbowl years et al. Born and raised in Buffalo and love the Bills. I don't think they are well run right now and they are on a path downward from high mediocrity...but I'm hoping....

I saw the parade that brought them to town and saw many a game in war memorial. Can still name the starting lineup of our AFL championship team, including Paul Maguire the Punter and second (or maybe third) string linebacker. I was in the service during the horribly bad years of Dan Darragh and Kay Stephenson and their ilk. Came back for Joe Ferguson and the Juice. The Superbowl years et al. Born and raised in Buffalo and love the Bills. I don't think they are well run right now and they are on a path downward from high mediocrity...but I'm hoping....

You must be about the same age as I am. Don't remember the parade, but remember games at the Rockpile. And Shottenheimer was one of the backup LB's I think. Kemp and Lamonica. Ernie Warlick, Mike Stratton and on and on. Great days.

It's not exactly a choice. If you grew up in Buffalo and were exposed to a live home game at a young impressionable age, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. It's not just a sports team. It's more than a love affair - it's a marriage. 'They're part of the extended family. Til death do us part.

This about covers it.

We're the Linus Van Pelt's of the sports world. We approach every year with unbridled optimism, hoping that maybe this will be the year The Great Pumpkin (ie-Lombardi Trophy) comes to us. We're also Charlie Brown, convinced that this will be the time that Lucy doesn't pull the ball away when we try to kick it.

Hit the nail on the head. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Oh, wait a second.........

+1

I use to live around the corner from the rockpile during the Cookie Gilchrist days and could hear the crowd cheering.

When I asked what the cheering was for, everyone said it was the Bills game. I asked my father to take me to a Bills game and thats all it took. I signed on for life.

Not sure I chose the Bills or if they chose me.

I have to ask myself occassionally why I am such a die hard. I saw my first game in the 70's, watched in horror most of the 80's, proud as hell through the early 90's but the past ten years have really made me wonder. I haven't lived in WNY since '89 when I graduated from Fredonia but still go to at least one game per year and follow them religously. What have I got in return? A broken tv (wide right), chronic heartburn from April-December, disappointment, heartache...I could go on and on. There have been alot of great times as well, just not this millenium. I guess it boils down to loyalty. They have been my first and only "favorite team" and no matter what I'll always love them (unless they move then I'm done). I get harrassed often when I'm golfing for having a BILLS golfbag. I hear "they have sucked for so long" and "4 straight Superbowl losses" and "you must be a die hard".

Besides for loyalty I was raised in Jamestown. So unlike my friends who were Steeler, Miami, Dallas, Browns fans becasue they were good at the time. I stayed with my BILLS.

WHY ARE YOU A BILLS FAN?

Great question, I am not sure why, but there is no team in professional sports that I love more, yet continues to rip my heart out.

According to professional athletes, there are none...

You meant, according to "Willis".............

Being a Bills fan, for me, is due to Buffalo being my home at birth and the first 30 years of my life. Loved them since 1966.

I was born and raised in Erie, PA. Which for geographically challanged, is about 100 miles from Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. So I've always kind of followed the "local" major league teams

It's a real shame the realignment got so screwed up. Buffalo, Pittsburgh, & Cleveland should all be in one division along with Cincinnati, but Ralph felt the Buffalo-Miami rivalry was too important to keep. Imagine the new rivalries that would be in place now had they done it right?! Oh well, I digress.

It's a real shame the realignment got so screwed up. Buffalo, Pittsburgh, & Cleveland should all be in one division along with Cincinnati, but Ralph felt the Buffalo-Miami rivalry was too important to keep. Imagine the new rivalries that would be in place now had they done it right?! Oh well, I digress.

The Miami rivalry was over after Levy made Shula his B word.

Divisions should have looked more like this:

Buff,Cleve,Pitt,Detroit

NYJ, NYG, NE, Philth

Wash,Balt,Carolina,Tenn

Indy,Cinc,Chic,GB

Mamie,Tampon,Jackoff,Atlantis

Nawlins,Dall,Houst,Penix

Denv, Minn, StLouis,KC

Oak, SF, Sandy Eggo, Seattle

Instead, Miami is in a division with the 3 northeast teams, and pretty much the same for Dallas. If the whole league were just starting from scratch and some board member suggested the current alignments, the others would have him thown out.

When realignment was done a few years ago, they should have scrapped everything from the past and started over. I still can't remember exactly who's in what division now!

I have to ask myself occassionally why I am such a die hard. I saw my first game in the 70's, watched in horror most of the 80's, proud as hell through the early 90's but the past ten years have really made me wonder. I haven't lived in WNY since '89 when I graduated from Fredonia but still go to at least one game per year and follow them religously. What have I got in return? A broken tv (wide right), chronic heartburn from April-December, disappointment, heartache...I could go on and on. There have been alot of great times as well, just not this millenium. I guess it boils down to loyalty. They have been my first and only "favorite team" and no matter what I'll always love them (unless they move then I'm done). I get harrassed often when I'm golfing for having a BILLS golfbag. I hear "they have sucked for so long" and "4 straight Superbowl losses" and "you must be a die hard".

Besides for loyalty I was raised in Jamestown. So unlike my friends who were Steeler, Miami, Dallas, Browns fans becasue they were good at the time. I stayed with my BILLS.

WHY ARE YOU A BILLS FAN?

My first game was a scab game in 87 and I loved it. I figured if I even loved that I could put up with any crap as long as they were the real players! The JETS SUCK!