Why are YOU a BILLS fan?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh - big money man. I assume lucid thoughts and fluid writing don't play a big part in your weekly earnings. God bless Affirmative Action. SMD,B

Oh my this mommy boy is using the word affirmative action on a Bills forum site. Lol I'm appalled with this, but let's just kill the small talk Dml2005 when you start leaning towards the race card that's when It get out of hand. I'm pretty sure you are a lonely man still breast feeding from your mom cotton milk breast which is also your aunt nasty farm bastards. But all in all you are still a so called Bills fan so once again thank you.. Its kinda hard when a BLACK man can still respect the racist man isn't it Bro.... Lol

WHY ARE YOU A BILLS FAN?

Because in a sport that most American males really like, I too liked it and the Bills were the professional team in my area so that I became a fan. At one point, the late '80s to be precise, and into the '90s, the Bills were a well run team that win or lose was enjoyable to watch play. It goes without saying that winning was preferred, but even in a loss there was hope and the team did not embarrass itself or me much less make me a fool for trusting them.

This occurred a mere less than 20 years after the formation of the current NFL and before there was much basis for comparison amongst NFL franchises.

But after firing a GM that built that team up to going to three straight Super Bowls, really four on residuals, it's been a downhill slide ever since.

I am still a fan, but just like no self-respecting male would put up with a perpetually cheating GF or wife, neither do I put up with such poor and negligent management of an NFL team that I am a fan of.

I still love my team, but just as I would have no desire to watch my children shoot up with heroin and ruin their lives, neither do I have any desire to watch such agonizing and reprehensible management and coaching resulting in such abysmal performance of my team on the field.

Today as the team stands, I have too much respect for myself to lower myself to watching too much of what this team provides.

It's not exactly a choice. If you grew up in Buffalo and were exposed to a live home game at a young impressionable age, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. It's not just a sports team. It's more than a love affair - it's a marriage. 'They're part of the extended family. Til death do us part.

We're the Linus Van Pelt's of the sports world. We approach every year with unbridled optimism, hoping that maybe this will be the year The Great Pumpkin (ie-Lombardi Trophy) comes to us. We're also Charlie Brown, convinced that this will be the time that Lucy doesn't pull the ball away when we try to kick it.

Why are we Bills fans? 'Cause we're blockheads, that's why.

It's a real shame that most of the people that run the team don't feel the same and fit that description, otherwise we might actually have a decent and well managed team that they would take some pride in and make changes when it shamed their management of it.

Even Wilson isn't from Buffalo and everyone questions his real loyalty to this team.

Modrak isn't from Buffalo.

Is Majeski? Anyone know?

Buddy Nix also has no roots in B-Lo. He was along for the ride as the wheels began to come off the wagon in the late 90s but after that, nothing.

Modkins and Edwards aren't, neither is Gailey as I believe that this is his first time even living in NY State. Gailey has a lot closer roots to the Fins of all teams.

There are no roots here by anyone significant that shapes what the Bills do today. They're all in it purely for the money and not earning what they're getting paid for.

So why are so many so loyal to those guys wanting to give them benefits of the doubt and all that?

What's next after these guys fail, hiring a coach from one of the D-III schools in the state and a D coordinator from the Pop Warner ranks and an O coordinator from some NYS high school?

The ones that deserve a benefit of the doubt are us fans, those running this team shouldn't take us for granted like they do, and if anything those running the team should give us the benefit of the doubt that we won't be back if this continues and do something real and serious about the problem, which is them.

But they know that there's no real threat there.

Wilson won't do that though. But hey, he's not one of us now, is he.

I agree with your statement, but it's not the fans that are the problem.

A subject I've thought long about. I live in the Bills area and due to the economy I've talked with my wife about moving somewhere else, and it occurred to me that I might end up in another football city. Of course, I'd still be a Bills fan, but it got me thinking about what it'd be like to have grown up a Washington fan, or a K.C. fan, for instance. I wondered what would happen if someone else bought the team. What if some woman bought the team, and handed the operations over to a son who was a real punk, and they brought in arrogant pricks to run the show - would we still be able to root for them? Would they still seem like our Bills?

I think I might stop being a Bills fan - albeit temporarily - if Ralph were to continue on a few more years without showing bringing in the necessary talent to compete. I mean, if he kept T. Edwards or Fitzpatrick for another year after this, if they had another year like last year - I think that might be enough for me to say, "this guy is suckering these fans into paying for something he's not interested in making good." There's got to be some sign by management that they want to win above all else - I think that's it.

If Ralph Wilson came out and said, "this is a business, I'm in it for the money, and if it pays to move the team, I will. If I can fill the seats without spending on a good team, I will. I only care about winning as long as it pays." - then I would stop supporting the team as long as he owned it.

So, I guess it is the appearance of an effort to win, truly, and being in a smaller market makes us the underdogs - and that part of it I like. I just wish that by next year we can see that Nix is in charge and doing everything he can to make us great. I mean, if there is a F.A. available next year at a position we need, and they don't go after him for money's sake - that'll really burn me.

I agree with you in that I could never be a fan of another team the way that I've been with the Bills. I think that a large part of that is how the game has changed though. I'm also not sure that growing up today I would be a fan of the Bills, even if I were born in Buffalo. I don't know, just sayin'.

But a lot of fans have already thrown in the towel on Wilson's watch though. They/we are simply waiting for ownership of the team to change and then to make our decisions on what our status as fans is. If they move, for most of us that's it. For the same reason that I will never have a replacement NFL team to be a fan of, I will not follow the team if it plays in another city. I'll still watch football though, it just wouldn't be the same.

Even in these dark days there is hope that someone at OBD will pull their head out of their a$$ and cry foul and that something will eventually change to bring respectable play back to Buffalo. Notice I didn't even say winning, I simply said respectable play, which we don't even have or have had for years.

You said "if they have another year," but many of us said that last year, or the year before, or even before that.

This might be the year though that that happens. Seems like every year they win a game early or several before losing most of the rest and playing poorly while doing it, or that they win a bunch against easy beaten teams later in the season to give just enough hope to some fans.

But this year they have four tough games to start the season and it seems unlikely that they'll have a winning streak later in the season. So if they start 0-4 and don't have a three game winning streak elsewhere, then maybe this will be the final straw for you too.

The Miami rivalry was over after Levy made Shula his B word.

Divisions should have looked more like this:

Buff,Cleve,Pitt,Detroit

NYJ, NYG, NE, Philth

Wash,Balt,Carolina,Tenn

Indy,Cinc,Chic,GB

Mamie,Tampon,Jackoff,Atlantis

Nawlins,Dall,Houst,Penix

Denv, Minn, StLouis,KC

Oak, SF, Sandy Eggo, Seattle

Instead, Miami is in a division with the 3 northeast teams, and pretty much the same for Dallas. If the whole league were just starting from scratch and some board member suggested the current alignments, the others would have him thown out.

When realignment was done a few years ago, they should have scrapped everything from the past and started over. I still can't remember exactly who's in what division now!

I completely agree.

But guess who absolutely had to have Miami in the same division?

Wilson thinking with his Johnson again. If he really cared about Buffalo he would have pushed for what you said here. It didn't help the team IMO and it sounds as if you agree with that.

Oh my this mommy boy is using the word affirmative action on a Bills forum site. Lol I'm appalled with this, but let's just kill the small talk Dml2005 when you start leaning towards the race card that's when It get out of hand. I'm pretty sure you are a lonely man still breast feeding from your mom cotton milk breast which is also your aunt nasty farm bastards. But all in all you are still a so called Bills fan so once again thank you.. Its kinda hard when a BLACK man can still respect the racist man isn't it Bro.... Lol

Race card? Black man? What the hell are you talking about? Who's black? Me? You?

Why are we combining card games with motor racing on a football message board? I don't even know where we're supposed to be racing to. This is so stupid.

Easy question and answer: Is Affirmative Action based on the content or character or the color of skin?

The answer is obvious. That's my beef. It's no more right than when whitey won't hire a minority because he's different.

Enough politicizing. My apologies if I offended. Glad we're both Bills fans. If I see you at the game I'll buy you a beer (or a malt liquor if you prefer).

BTW - I'm mixed (as if it matters)

QUOTE (DML2005 @ Jul 24 2010, 01:42 PM)

Ooooh - big money man. I assume lucid thoughts and fluid writing don't play a big part in your weekly earnings. God bless Affirmative Action. SMD,B

I usually don’t get involved in the non-football potshots that go on here. I think that you, Laroc1015, have handled this situation quite well.

DML2005 really struck a sour chord with me with his comment on the short bus. I have great friend who has a wonderful child that rides the “short bus” as he calls it. It is bothersome to me to hear comments like that, especially the context it was used it in. Next he makes comments on affirmative action. I assume he is very young since he thinks that replacing the word "heart" with "fart" (see his avatar) is actually funny.

Hope you can make it up to Buffalo for a game sometime soon. The atmosphere is just great for football.

I usually don’t get involved in the non-football potshots that go on here. I think that you, Laroc1015, have handled this situation quite well.

DML2005 really struck a sour chord with me with his comment on the short bus. I have great friend who has a wonderful child that rides the “short bus” as he calls it. It is bothersome to me to hear comments like that, especially the context it was used it in. Next he makes comments on affirmative action. I assume he is very young since he thinks that replacing the word "heart" with "fart" (see his avatar) is actually funny.

Hope you can make it up to Buffalo for a game sometime soon. The atmosphere is just great for football.

The avatar was just supposed to be eye-catching so I could find my own posts. Nothing funny about farts I suppose. I've since removed the fart reference.

Everyone is so damned sensitive.

There's barely been anything I've said in this entire thread that should be taken seriously. I'm a funny man - a comic!And I'm sure that Lacrotch1015 was just as offended as you with the "short bus" comment. So again, my apologies to both of you.

The avatar was just supposed to be eye-catching so I could find my own posts. Nothing funny about farts I suppose. I've since removed the fart reference.

There's barely been anything I've said in this entire thread that should be taken seriously. I'm a funny man - a comic!And I'm sure that Lacrotch1015 was just as offended as you with the "short bus" comment. So again, my apologies to both of you.

You are just wrong, sir. Farts are funny.

I have to ask myself occassionally why I am such a die hard. I saw my first game in the 70's, watched in horror most of the 80's, proud as hell through the early 90's but the past ten years have really made me wonder. I haven't lived in WNY since '89 when I graduated from Fredonia but still go to at least one game per year and follow them religously. What have I got in return? A broken tv (wide right), chronic heartburn from April-December, disappointment, heartache...I could go on and on. There have been alot of great times as well, just not this millenium. I guess it boils down to loyalty. They have been my first and only "favorite team" and no matter what I'll always love them (unless they move then I'm done). I get harrassed often when I'm golfing for having a BILLS golfbag. I hear "they have sucked for so long" and "4 straight Superbowl losses" and "you must be a die hard".

Besides for loyalty I was raised in Jamestown. So unlike my friends who were Steeler, Miami, Dallas, Browns fans becasue they were good at the time. I stayed with my BILLS.

WHY ARE YOU A BILLS FAN?

When Wilson brought Buffalo into the AFL in 1960, I was 1 year old, and my Dad was 27 and loved sports of all kinds. He immediately became a Bills fan, since he never cared about the Giants or Steelers or Browns just because they were the popular NFL teams to root for, he and all of my uncles and aunts pretty much became die hard Bills fans from day one. By the time I was old enough to understand what I was watching on TV or listening to on the radio, Dad brought me into Bills-mania, of which there has never been any turning back. :DB-):lol: Here we are over 50 years later, Dad's 77 and he is still hoping the Bills can win just one damn SB in his lifetime!!

Ok. Must admit I got a good laugh out of the avatar changes.

I have to ask myself occassionally why I am such a die hard. I saw my first game in the 70's, watched in horror most of the 80's, proud as hell through the early 90's but the past ten years have really made me wonder. I haven't lived in WNY since '89 when I graduated from Fredonia but still go to at least one game per year and follow them religously. What have I got in return? A broken tv (wide right), chronic heartburn from April-December, disappointment, heartache...I could go on and on. There have been alot of great times as well, just not this millenium. I guess it boils down to loyalty. They have been my first and only "favorite team" and no matter what I'll always love them (unless they move then I'm done). I get harrassed often when I'm golfing for having a BILLS golfbag. I hear "they have sucked for so long" and "4 straight Superbowl losses" and "you must be a die hard".

Besides for loyalty I was raised in Jamestown. So unlike my friends who were Steeler, Miami, Dallas, Browns fans becasue they were good at the time. I stayed with my BILLS.

WHY ARE YOU A BILLS FAN?

I am a Bills Fan because of my friendship with Aussiew. This will be my third season with the Bills being my

''''associate''' team ( the other team that you support ). I watch the Bills AND my Cowboys at the Stadium

Sports Cafe in Addison Texas. Why the Bills....the players are great ''citizens'' of their community....rarely

are there ''off field'' issues AND their passionate fans. It is more fun to watch games with ''die hard'' Bills Fans

AND a ''smaller group'' of Cowboys Fans than to watch MY team at home ALONE!! There is a geat benifit of

being a Bills Fan and it is ALL the wonderfull people than I have met at the cafe AND gotten to know here

on TBD. I guess you could say that I am a ''grown'' Bills Fan rather than a ''born'' Bills Fan.