Gailey may not necessarily use a RB committee?

Read the replies in the chat below. Lori made some interesting points in the whole discussion. I added that I cannot imagine Gailey just letting Jackson or Lynch sit on the bench with one getting all the carries. Both will get playing time, perhaps Freddy will just be a ST and can give a - dare I say it - Mark Pike/Steve Tasker play making ability.

Sounds insane, but I think with our well rounded depth we'll have great special teams again and that will be our Bills highlight...again.

The hard to believe part to me is that if this really is a decision about whether it is Jackson or Lynch who sits on the bench while the other gets the vast lionshare of the carries on their way to 300, then where in this configuration is the PT or touches likely to be had by Spiller whom the the braintrust spent a #1 on?

From what Coach Gailey has said, I find this theory preposterous. Coach Gailey says he's going to find out what he's got and then design an offense to take advantage of the strengths he's got. His biggest strength is RB. So I expect him to use them a lot in both running and pass catching situations. I think he'll mix things up and create mismatches like we haven't seen around here for a long time. He didn't draft Spiller at #9 to park him on the pine and run Lynch 25 times a game.

This article proves my theory that national football "experts" don't know anymore about this stuff than we do. They just get paid to do it. Nice work if you can get it.

Just like Chris Henry was unproven.....until he proved himself by getting the ball.

Spiller has 21 touchdowns of 50 or more yards! How do you keep that on the bench? I gotta believe Gailey is going to pound Marshawn and Jackson and give CJ 12 to 16 touches a game in some form to start with. If he does what he did in college you gotta hand the ball and let him run

Couldn't agree with you more. We have to pound the ball because there is no way in hell we are going to be an effective passing team with no QB, WR, or LT/RT.

Couldn't agree with you more. We have to pound the ball because there is no way in hell we all going to be an effective passing team with no QB, WR, or LT/RT.

Ageed. The questions are what are the options we have at QB, #2 WR, and LT? To me they are:

QB-

Edwards- I make him first on my pecking order not because I think he is the likely Bills future franchise QB (I do not think he is not because he lacks talent0 DarthIce says he doesn't but Bill Walsh said he did and even though Bill Walsh is dead, I would take him over the Darthman as my HC 7 days a week and twice on Sunday- however, TE has demonstrated himself to be injury prone in his short career by my objective standard).

However, my sense is one of the primary mistakes of the Bills braintrust is that they have given the starter QB job to a series of QBs in an illusory search for the next Jimbo and that this tactic of not letting the QB take the job by the neck with his play and not let it go. I think the primary value to this team TE can have is for him to get the job back he lost to injury and have the new QB perform on the field in preseason to take the job.

Brohm- Potential simply means to me you haven't done anything yet. Brohm has the real potential to be at least a solid starter and in this pre-season he must be challenged to take the job from Edwards. He MIGHT do this.

Firzy- I think being Frank Reuch is a possible level of achievement for him but I think that is it.

Brown- PS

LT-

Bell- Great athletic talent and form according to the coaches. However, part I think of talking him up is to challenge him to step up and demonstrate he has gotten the lineage of a top athlete from his Dad, Karl Malone (we will see. Malone does have pretty good genes having passed them on to a daughter who turned out to be a world class B-ball player though she used her Dad ignoring her lineage until she got too good to ignore). Bell has shone great athleticism but demonstrated lousy work habits so far, We'll see how this works (I think it MIGHT if our goal is to win next year but doubt it will if our goal is to win now).

Meredith- he demonstrated he can be semi-OK but not really an adequate starter last year. Might improve if he outcompetes Bell to win the job but my guess he remain adequate at best.

Wang- Give hope to the fantasy that a second day draftee is gonna be an adequate starter. OTA injury demonstrates that him being a starter as a rookie is almost certainly a fantasy and I hope he can survive to be on the PS and can spend the year learning and bulking up.

WR-

A problem and gap at #2 as Johnson regressed statisitcally last year, Hardy is coming off a season lost to injury after a disappointing rookie year, I think Parrish is a gamer with proven talents on PR buy he is a smurf who would be doing a lpt simply to become our #3 WR, and Easkey looks like a steal in the 4th round but it looks like an impossible jump to expect him to start at #2 WR.

Moving Spiller as our #2 is also a stretch but it is one I like in '10!

Ageed. The questions are what are the options we have at QB, #2 WR, and LT? To me they are:

QB-

Edwards- I make him first on my pecking order not because I think he is the likely Bills future franchise QB (I do not think he is not because he lacks talent0 DarthIce says he doesn't but Bill Walsh said he did and even though Bill Walsh is dead, I would take him over the Darthman as my HC 7 days a week and twice on Sunday- however, TE has demonstrated himself to be injury prone in his short career by my objective standard).

However, my sense is one of the primary mistakes of the Bills braintrust is that they have given the starter QB job to a series of QBs in an illusory search for the next Jimbo and that this tactic of not letting the QB take the job by the neck with his play and not let it go. I think the primary value to this team TE can have is for him to get the job back he lost to injury and have the new QB perform on the field in preseason to take the job.

Brohm- Potential simply means to me you haven't done anything yet. Brohm has the real potential to be at least a solid starter and in this pre-season he must be challenged to take the job from Edwards. He MIGHT do this.

Firzy- I think being Frank Reuch is a possible level of achievement for him but I think that is it.

Brown- PS

LT-

Bell- Great athletic talent and form according to the coaches. However, part I think of talking him up is to challenge him to step up and demonstrate he has gotten the lineage of a top athlete from his Dad, Karl Malone (we will see. Malone does have pretty good genes having passed them on to a daughter who turned out to be a world class B-ball player though she used her Dad ignoring her lineage until she got too good to ignore). Bell has shone great athleticism but demonstrated lousy work habits so far, We'll see how this works (I think it MIGHT if our goal is to win next year but doubt it will if our goal is to win now).

Meredith- he demonstrated he can be semi-OK but not really an adequate starter last year. Might improve if he outcompetes Bell to win the job but my guess he remain adequate at best.

Wang- Give hope to the fantasy that a second day draftee is gonna be an adequate starter. OTA injury demonstrates that him being a starter as a rookie is almost certainly a fantasy and I hope he can survive to be on the PS and can spend the year learning and bulking up.

WR-

A problem and gap at #2 as Johnson regressed statisitcally last year, Hardy is coming off a season lost to injury after a disappointing rookie year, I think Parrish is a gamer with proven talents on PR buy he is a smurf who would be doing a lpt simply to become our #3 WR, and Easkey looks like a steal in the 4th round but it looks like an impossible jump to expect him to start at #2 WR.

Moving Spiller as our #2 is also a stretch but it is one I like in '10!

Pretty sad state of affairs when a fan is advocating a rookie college RB as being our #2 WR. WOW.....

I sure hope Chan has a backup plan when teams stop our run. It's not like were the Jets daring teams to stop them. As an oppossing coach it sure seems like an easy glan plan to stop the Bills. I am praying Chan and some players can make something out of nothing. Every once in a while a blind squirrel finds the nut. I hope this is the case with the Bills.

I saw this... and... well I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson is our main RB, with Spiller being a 3rd down/slot/combo guys and Lynch getting the backup carries.

IMHO (I'm obviously no football genius), I think it'd be a mistake to not use 3 of our most skilled players as much as possible. But I trust that Chan probably knows more about this than I do.

Also, just looking at the author's examples... this RB set is much different than Chan's previous teams, who all had a *clear* number 1 guy at the position. This team has 3 guys that could probably start on many teams.

Agreed on different prior scenerios. Have to find ways of misdirection with the three backs, Parrish in slot and Evans deep. Spread out everyone for mismatches.

Agreed on different prior scenerios. Have to find ways of misdirection with the three backs, Parrish in slot and Evans deep. Spread out everyone for mismatches.

Good in theory but hard to execute with a weak QB, OL, and WR.

Misdirection plays are only so effective. You can't use misdirection plays all the time because opposing defenses will stiff them out for big losses.

Also, I really think Gailey is going to try to pound the ball with his best weapons which IMO happens to be his running backs.

ya, that's what I thought. A good coach runs what they got and all those stats preceded today's NFL strategies

My take as well. The NFL is a different game today from when Emmit et al was tearing it up. Mutiple backs being used in a multitude of capacities is the current effective approach to the speed and athleticism of defenses today.

Disagree, what Tim forgot to mention is that Chan Gailey has never had backup running backs of this calliber.

I expect to see Spiller as one of those backups with 70ish carries and 30+ receptions. I think thats a realistic expectation for him. Maybe with more receptions though.

From what Coach Gailey has said, I find this theory preposterous. Coach Gailey says he's going to find out what he's got and then design an offense to take advantage of the strengths he's got. His biggest strength is RB. So I expect him to use them a lot in both running and pass catching situations. I think he'll mix things up and create mismatches like we haven't seen around here for a long time. He didn't draft Spiller at #9 to park him on the pine and run Lynch 25 times a game.

This article proves my theory that national football "experts" don't know anymore about this stuff than we do. They just get paid to do it. Nice work if you can get it.

They often know less, but they have a podium.

What a waste of an article. Way to look up some simple numbers and spout off 1000 words on absolutely nothing, without any semblance of research or analysis. But thats par for the course for ESPN.

What more research or analysis is needed? The numbers speak for themselves. True, that doesn't mean it will necessarily project into the future -- especially given the potential 3-headed threat we'll have in our backfield, but I think Tim makes a valid point.

Here's the bottom line. If Gailey determines that Freddie, Marshawn, and C.J. are among his three best offensive players, he's gonna get them all on the field together more often than not. Chan can think out of the box.

GO BILLS!!!

What a stupid article. If you have a workhorse back and no one else, you ride him. If you have a workhorse back and a good back up, you ride the workhorse and you sprinkle in the good back-up. If you have three good backs and no workhorse, you use all three good backs. Gailey never had a good back-up. And all of those seasons were before the NFL became a two back league a few years ago (if, of course, you have two backs).

What a stupid article.

Not only that, his cite of the Thurman Thomas year in Miami neglects to mention that he went down with a torn ACL early in the season. He was running well for them before the injury.