Trent Edwards vs. Drew Brees

Coach55

While I believe Trent Edwards can play at a high level at times, and might just be the most talented QB on the roster, sooner or later he's going to get injured. You just can't count on him. Also the W-L record last year vs Fitzpatrick's W-L record is troublesome.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People love the Bills and hate that aching feeling in their gut when the Bills lose and suck consistently. Having no choice but to continue watching and supporting the team, they chose to pin the blame for that aching feeling on one person. That one person -- rather than the organization or team itself -- is responsible for their heartache. He has wronged these fans on a personal level and must be jettisoned from the roster.

No surprise that some of the posters with the most unrealistic expectations for this team are also those who will accept nothing other than "Trent sucks and must go" when the topic of QB comes up.

Lets see, how can we bring people back to reality once again...

1. SD had no one to throw to in his early years...Gates didnt break out until 2004, coincidentally the same year Brees broke out. Trent has had Evans and even a year with both Evans and TO.

2. Brees was a highly touted prospect coming out of college and very succesful at Purdue, Trent didnt even win a game his last year at Stanford and had one 300 yard passing game in all of college.

More importantly, lets look at a couple of things that your stat totals dont show during Brees first 3 years and Trents first 3 years. during that time, Drew had 27 starts and Trent has 30...so, not only are these below better for Brees, but he did them in 3 less games.

300 yard games

Brees - 5, +1 more with 296 yards

Trent - ZERO

Multiple TD games:

Brees - 9

Trent - 5

Total TD's

Brees - 29

Trent - 24

The point is, Brees at least had some games that showed potential and he did it with no talent at WR or TE (remember Gates didnt break out until 2004, the same year Brees did), where Trents best games were average at best. Trents greatest claim to fame and potential was the 4-0 start we had. The truth behind that is that he only played well in the Sea game week 1 and struggled most of the time in the games against Rams, Oak, and Jax (all 4 were amongst the worst in the NFL). He gets so much credit for those 3 comeback wins where in 2 of them they were made possible by plays from Mitchell, the ST, and Lynch, not Trent.

At no point has Trent ever taken command of a game. At no point since high school has Trent done anything on the field in any game that has demonstrated anything remotely close to Brees.

Its amazing how many great QB's this guy gets compared to on this board yet he wasnt even a good college QB let alone a good NFL QB.

Hey Alpha. Not saying I disagree with your opinion but I have a theory you played D in the Pac-10 at the same time TE was at Stanford and he torched your team. Am I close?

Just messin' with ya.

GO BILLS!!!

and yet, using the same logic, Trent Edwards' has a better completion percentage and thrown fewer interceptions in his first three years in Buffalo than, say, Doug Flutie did in his three seasons in Buffalo. Flute does have the edge in the fact he played more games over that span and threw more touchdowns.

jw

You give it up. You offer nothing to this board of any value, and we're all dumber for reading your responses. You offer nothing resembling a coherent argument, just blind hatred of a player on the team you're supposedly a fan of. If you're anything in real life like you are here, if you dropped dead tomorrow I'm not sure anyone would attend your funeral.

It's an honest comparison to make, and the OP wasn't making the leap to say Edwards would follow the path Brees took, just making the same comment so many have made that some QB's don't flourish until year four. FWIW, Eli didn't hit 60% completion until year five, and prior to winning the super bowl at the end of his fourth season there was talk of him being a bust in the middle of the season.

Generally I'm against anyone being banned. It's a forum for people to speak their minds, and barring severely egregious repeated comments I don't think anyone should be prohibited from participating. But you need to go. You are King Douchebag.

Next on BillsDaily Internet celebrity death match....Tim Graham and Darth Ice vs. Leonidas

Leonidas is seriously considering banning someone? Seriously? After driving Tim Graham away, seriously?

On topic, I hope Trent is able to turn it around since it will make the team better. He has some skill, but I think all the problems with offensive coordinators and offensive lines has been a problem.

I'm an optimist, mostly, because I have been waiting for a quarterback since the second half of Drew Bledso's first season.

I don't think we really know for sure at this point. Personally, I have not had that JP New York Jets moment where I just knew he had to go. That fumble returned for a touchdown was the last straw.

Hey Alpha. Not saying I disagree with your opinion but I have a theory you played D in the Pac-10 at the same time TE was at Stanford and he torched your team. Am I close?

Just messin' with ya.

GO BILLS!!!

:lol::w00t:

Hahahaha...that was great, havent heard that one before. :lol:

No, not the case, I was a bit before his time. But I WISH that were true because then I wouldnt have just turned 34 with a 45 year olds left knee and lower back :lol:

And lets face it, Trent hasnt torched any team since High School, so even if I was still playing while he was at Stanford it wouldnt have been true and probably would have helped me pad my stats ;)

Not to make a comparison, but as I said before I was once a big proponent of Edwards and am now under the belief that this is his last chance to make a statement or Brohm's only chance as otherwise we will be getting a new QB in next year's draft. But, back in 04, the Chargers drafted Rivers because they thought Brees was a bust. Could Edwards have a year 4 breakout of epic proportions?

Brees

Year W-L Comp% Yds TD-Int Yds/A Rating

2001 0-0 55.6% 221 1-0 8.2 94.8

2002 8-8 60.8% 3284 17-16 6.2 76.9

2003 2-9 57.6% 2108 11-15 5.9 67.5

2004 11-4 65.5% 3159 27-7 7.9 104.8

Edwards

Year W-L Comp% Yds TD-Int Yds/A Rating

2007 5-4 56.1% 1630 7-8 6.1 70.4

2008 7-7 65.5% 2699 11-10 6.6 85.4

2009 2-5 60.1% 1169 6-7 5.3 73.8

2010 ????

I won't say that Edwards will be the next Brees, but I agree it is possible. We simply do not know. It would be a very pleasant surprise if Edwards can turn his career around this year. I wouldn't rule it out. He's got the coach now. If the offensive coaches can now make the OL play like a real unit, then anything is possible.

I don't think any of us know how influential or detrimental coaching has been with Edwards - let's face it, many a QB would have failed under last year's circumstances. The great Bill Walsh liked Edwards coming out of college. I think his initial success and everything else adds up to Edwards deserving another shot. That shot, however, is now - and I don't think it's a biased one. If Edwards has got it he should be showing it. Perhaps that is the biggest indication - again, we'll have to wait and see - but, he's had enough time to build confidence in his own abilities, and to know how to lead, and to be a legitimate QB. If there isn't much separation now between he and Brohm and Fitz, then that's probably not too good a thing. But, if he wins out the competition, I think he has something that could be molded into success. If he has it, Gailey will see it and help him to be successful. I hope he or Brohm light it up this year - and then we still draft the best QB coming out next year!

This isn't solved yet.???? Oh wait that's right, here is a new coaching staff and offense, an open competition at QB and the coaches recognize they have to work with what is on the roster this year. May the best QB win, the worst get cut and Levi Brown develop this year.

After game 5 or 6 it should be fun to rule all of these "talent projections".

other nice pre season predictions

Night and day, I agree.

I remember a Chargers team led by Brees playing in Buffalo in 2002, we beat them 20-13. If you told me right there and then that that same QB would be the MVP of Super Bowl XLIV I wouldn't have believe it. The guy was so normal, there was nothing in his game that would say, hey look, he's a star in the making.

Can Edwards be that guy? One can hope, right?

agreed...However, the chargers got it right on that last season for Brees, including having a good OC in Norv Turner. Hopefully Chain Gailey is that person for Edwards. I also think that was the 1st productive season for LT. Lot of good things happened for SD that year.

agreed...However, the chargers got it right on that last season for Brees, including having a good OC in Norv Turner. Hopefully Chain Gailey is that person for Edwards. I also think that was the 1st productive season for LT. Lot of good things happened for SD that year.

Actually, LT was productive the years Brees struggled too...he hadover 1600 yards if I am not mistaken the year before Brees broke when he had a bad year with more INTs than TDs

At no point has Trent ever taken command of a game. At no point since high school has Trent done anything on the field in any game that has demonstrated anything remotely close to Brees.

Its amazing how many great QB's this guy gets compared to on this board yet he wasnt even a good college QB let alone a good NFL QB.

That is the most insane aspects...Go back to the game against Washington in 2007 or the game against Jacksonville, the game against Denver to finish the 2008 season or the rout he put on in Kansas City. For the 1st three years both Edwards and Brees were INCONSISTENT QBs producing INCONSISTENT plays as reflected in their teams Win-Loss column.

That is the most insane aspects...Go back to the game against Washington in 2007 or the game against Jacksonville, the game against Denver to finish the 2008 season or the rout he put on in Kansas City. For the 1st three years both Edwards and Brees were INCONSISTENT QBs producing INCONSISTENT plays as reflected in their teams Win-Loss column.

You mean the Jac game where he had 1 TD and the game recap which highlights the play of our RB's? Here is the "Gameball Recap: The running back tandem of Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson was potent. Lynch did the dirty work, carrying the ball 19 times for 59 yards, including an 11-yard touchdown run on the game's opening drive. Jackson, who caught just 22 balls last season, was consistently targeted out of the backfield by Edwards. He caught a team-high seven passes for 83 yards.

You mean the Redskins game where he had ZERO TDs? I love too that there was a"dominating performance" by Larry Triplett (yeah that panned out too, lol) in that game...

You mean the KC game against one of the abosulte worst defenses in the game where our defense gave us 5 turnovers and great field position all game as well?

You mean the Den game where he had just 190 yards and just 1 TD (plus 1 INT and a fumble) against an awful defense, in fact one of the worst in the league?

Seriously, he passed for 4 touchdowns in those 4 games, mostly against bad defenses too that were getting lit up by better quarterbacks. Not exactly a commanding stretch of games for him, and sadly, those are probably his best games as a pro...

and yet, using the same logic, Trent Edwards' has a better completion percentage and thrown fewer interceptions in his first three years in Buffalo than, say, Doug Flutie did in his three seasons in Buffalo. Flute does have the edge in the fact he played more games over that span and threw more touchdowns.

jw

Logic?!?! Logic?!?! We're lucky if we can string a few words together to form a sentence, and you're talking about LOGIC?!?! If you're going to enter a QB discussion, please follow convention and use the word suck... often. Trent Edwards sucked, Doug Flutie sucked, JP Losman sucked, Drew Bledsoe couldn't do diddly pooh!!! Also, insulting the OP goes a long way toward validating your point. Just trying to help out with a few tips I've learned in my short time here. :lol:

Drew Brees - won in college, is tough, teamates respect him as hardworking

Trent Edwards - lost since he was 17 years old, not tough, teammates have zero confidence in him

Trust me, I wish that wasn't the reality, but it is. Trent will never be Drew Brees. Sadly, we will have to take a 1st round QB again and pray that we made the right selection and can coach him along to win 3-4 years down the road.

Trent Edwards - lost since he was 17 years old, not tough, teammates have zero confidence in him

Trust me, I wish that wasn't the reality, but it is. Trent will never be Drew Brees. Sadly, we will have to take a 1st round QB again and pray that we made the right selection and can coach him along to win 3-4 years down the road.

Why do you feel Brees is "tougher" than Trent?

And yes, this question is a trap, I'll be waiting.... :lol:

^^

This