Trent Edwards vs. Drew Brees

Coach55

Not to make a comparison, but as I said before I was once a big proponent of Edwards and am now under the belief that this is his last chance to make a statement or Brohm's only chance as otherwise we will be getting a new QB in next year's draft. But, back in 04, the Chargers drafted Rivers because they thought Brees was a bust. Could Edwards have a year 4 breakout of epic proportions?

Brees

Year W-L Comp% Yds TD-Int Yds/A Rating

2001 0-0 55.6% 221 1-0 8.2 94.8

2002 8-8 60.8% 3284 17-16 6.2 76.9

2003 2-9 57.6% 2108 11-15 5.9 67.5

2004 11-4 65.5% 3159 27-7 7.9 104.8

Edwards

2007 5-4 56.1% 1630 7-8 6.1 70.4

2008 7-7 65.5% 2699 11-10 6.6 85.4

2009 2-5 60.1% 1169 6-7 5.3 73.8

2010 ????

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all you have to do is watch the two of them throw the ball. there is a clear difference

Did you see Brees throw in his 1st four years...I believe he throws much better now than when he was in SD.

As you gain confidence, you get better.

Did you see Brees throw in his 1st four years...I believe he throws much better now than when he was in SD.

Night and day, I agree.

I remember a Chargers team led by Brees playing in Buffalo in 2002, we beat them 20-13. If you told me right there and then that that same QB would be the MVP of Super Bowl XLIV I wouldn't have believe it. The guy was so normal, there was nothing in his game that would say, hey look, he's a star in the making.

Can Edwards be that guy? One can hope, right?

all you have to do is watch the two of them throw the ball. there is a clear difference

Give it up. The Edwards lovers can't see the difference that everyone else in the world sees. Trentina is not Brees, Montana or any other half way good starting QB in NFL history. he is a guy that never should have been taken the 3rd round and NEVER should have been allowed to start an NFL game.

Even if he crashes, just like Hobag, RJ, JP blah blah blah, 5 years from now edwards lovers will still be pining for him and whining that he never had a shot, needed a better line, running game, coaching, training, WR's, TE's, Weather, jock strap etc and he would have won us 5 straight superbowls.

Not to make a comparison, but as I said before I was once a big proponent of Edwards and am now under the belief that this is his last chance to make a statement or Brohm's only chance as otherwise we will be getting a new QB in next year's draft. But, back in 04, the Chargers drafted Rivers because they thought Brees was a bust. Could Edwards have a year 4 breakout of epic proportions?

Brees

2001 0-0 55.6% 221 1-0 8.2 94.8

2002 8-8 60.8% 3284 17-16 6.2 76.9

2003 2-9 57.6% 2108 11-15 5.9 67.5

2004 11-4 65.5% 3159 27-7 7.9 104.8

Edwards

2007 5-4 56.1% 1630 7-8 6.1 70.4

2008 7-7 65.5% 2699 11-10 6.6 85.4

2009 2-5 60.1% 1169 6-7 5.3 73.8

2010 ????

Oh no......................Not again. :angry:

Give it up. The Edwards lovers can't see the difference that everyone else in the world sees. Trentina is not Brees, Montana or any other half way good starting QB in NFL history.

I liken his game and style unto that of Stan Humphries. That's who he reminds me of.

Give it up. The Edwards lovers can't see the difference that everyone else in the world sees. Trentina is not Brees, Montana or any other half way good starting QB in NFL history. he is a guy that never should have been taken the 3rd round and NEVER should have been allowed to start an NFL game.

Even if he crashes, just like Hobag, RJ, JP blah blah blah, 5 years from now edwards lovers will still be pining for him and whining that he never had a shot, needed a better line, running game, coaching, training, WR's, TE's, Weather, jock strap etc and he would have won us 5 straight superbowls.

.......and the broken record played on, and on, and on, and on, and.........

You give it up. You offer nothing to this board of any value, and we're all dumber for reading your responses. You offer nothing resembling a coherent argument, just blind hatred of a player on the team you're supposedly a fan of. If you're anything in real life like you are here, if you dropped dead tomorrow I'm not sure anyone would attend your funeral.

It's an honest comparison to make, and the OP wasn't making the leap to say Edwards would follow the path Brees took, just making the same comment so many have made that some QB's don't flourish until year four. FWIW, Eli didn't hit 60% completion until year five, and prior to winning the super bowl at the end of his fourth season there was talk of him being a bust in the middle of the season.

Generally I'm against anyone being banned. It's a forum for people to speak their minds, and barring severely egregious repeated comments I don't think anyone should be prohibited from participating. But you need to go. You are King Douchebag.

Lets see, how can we bring people back to reality once again...

1. SD had no one to throw to in his early years...Gates didnt break out until 2004, coincidentally the same year Brees broke out. Trent has had Evans and even a year with both Evans and TO.

2. Brees was a highly touted prospect coming out of college and very succesful at Purdue, Trent didnt even win a game his last year at Stanford and had one 300 yard passing game in all of college.

More importantly, lets look at a couple of things that your stat totals dont show during Brees first 3 years and Trents first 3 years. during that time, Drew had 27 starts and Trent has 30...so, not only are these below better for Brees, but he did them in 3 less games.

300 yard games

Brees - 5, +1 more with 296 yards

Trent - ZERO

Multiple TD games:

Brees - 9

Trent - 5

Total TD's

Brees - 29

Trent - 24

The point is, Brees at least had some games that showed potential and he did it with no talent at WR or TE (remember Gates didnt break out until 2004, the same year Brees did), where Trents best games were average at best. Trents greatest claim to fame and potential was the 4-0 start we had. The truth behind that is that he only played well in the Sea game week 1 and struggled most of the time in the games against Rams, Oak, and Jax (all 4 were amongst the worst in the NFL). He gets so much credit for those 3 comeback wins where in 2 of them they were made possible by plays from Mitchell, the ST, and Lynch, not Trent.

At no point has Trent ever taken command of a game. At no point since high school has Trent done anything on the field in any game that has demonstrated anything remotely close to Brees.

Its amazing how many great QB's this guy gets compared to on this board yet he wasnt even a good college QB let alone a good NFL QB.

The guy is going to get his chance this year. It will put this question to rest, just as JP's 2007 season was his make-or-break year.

You could be right about him, but I cannot hold him accountable for 2009. Some QBs can succeed in any circumstance, but they're few and far between. All we know is that Trent is not one of those guys.

Lets see, how can we bring people back to reality once again...

1. SD had no one to throw to in his early years...Gates didnt break out until 2004, coincidentally the same year Brees broke out. Trent has had Evans and even a year with both Evans and TO.

2. Brees was a highly touted prospect coming out of college and very succesful at Purdue, Trent didnt even win a game his last year at Stanford and had one 300 yard passing game in all of college.

More importantly, lets look at a couple of things that your stat totals dont show during Brees first 3 years and Trents first 3 years. during that time, Drew had 27 starts and Trent has 30...so, not only are these below better for Brees, but he did them in 3 less games.

300 yard games

Brees - 5, +1 more with 296 yards

Trent - ZERO

Multiple TD games:

Brees - 9

Trent - 5

Total TD's

Brees - 29

Trent - 24

The point is, Brees at least had some games that showed potential and he did it with no talent at WR or TE (remember Gates didnt break out until 2004, the same year Brees did), where Trents best games were average at best. Trents greatest claim to fame and potential was the 4-0 start we had. The truth behind that is that he only played well in the Sea game week 1 and struggled most of the time in the games against Rams, Oak, and Jax (all 4 were amongst the worst in the NFL). He gets so much credit for those 3 comeback wins where in 2 of them they were made possible by plays from Mitchell, the ST, and Lynch, not Trent.

At no point has Trent ever taken command of a game. At no point since high school has Trent done anything on the field in any game that has demonstrated anything remotely close to Brees.

Its amazing how many great QB's this guy gets compared to on this board yet he wasnt even a good college QB let alone a good NFL QB.

+1

You give it up. You offer nothing to this board of any value, and we're all dumber for reading your responses. You offer nothing resembling a coherent argument, just blind hatred of a player on the team you're supposedly a fan of. If you're anything in real life like you are here, if you dropped dead tomorrow I'm not sure anyone would attend your funeral.

It's an honest comparison to make, and the OP wasn't making the leap to say Edwards would follow the path Brees took, just making the same comment so many have made that some QB's don't flourish until year four. FWIW, Eli didn't hit 60% completion until year five, and prior to winning the super bowl at the end of his fourth season there was talk of him being a bust in the middle of the season.

Generally I'm against anyone being banned. It's a forum for people to speak their minds, and barring severely egregious repeated comments I don't think anyone should be prohibited from participating. But you need to go. You are King Douchebag.

All of this because he criticized Trent? Wow Trent fans are very thin skinned.

No one will attend my funeral then either because I think Trent is god awful....we have a right to be an objective fan, and not drink the koolaid.

All of this because he criticized Trent? Wow Trent fans are very thin skinned.

No one will attend my funeral then either because I think Trent is god awful....we have a right to be an objective fan, and not drink the koolaid.

Not at all. Read his other posts and you will understand.

I'm not a Trent Edwards fan. I'm a Buffalo Bills fan, true and true. If he gives us the best chance to win then I want him in the game. He's shown glimpses, albeit few and far between lately. My guess is that he starts the season, and we'll know pretty quickly what we've got. I still see us taking a quarterback early in next year's draft barring an entirely unexpected breakout from one of our QB's.