LeBron

The Lebron signing hurts the Bills in two ways.

1. It reinforces the perception to great players that championships cannot be won in small markets.

2. Big name free agents are more likely to drift to the Dolphins.

No offense but I completely disagree. The NFL is completely different than the NBA. The reason the LeBron thing was so big is because 1) he was a hometown guy & arguably the best player in his sport and 2) basketball teams can be shifted by one player. Football teams don't get made or broke by one player, unless it is a truly special QB. And truly special QBs never become FAs.

Furthermore, the SB was the Colts vs. Saints, both same markets. The NFL is the best system around for competitive sports and that's why it kills every other league.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on man. This had nothing to do with $.

But honestly, I lost a lot of respect for LeBron. Maybe it's the fans' fault for thinking he was different. Going on national TV to leave Cleveland is a straight up FU to fans who supported him for 7 years. If you're going to leave, jsut announce it quietly. Why torture people?

Additionally, let's completely bury the LeBron MJ comparison once and for all. Truly players don't piggyback their way to championships. Especially for one of the biggest joke fanbases in sports. It's weird but I respect a player who remained loyal to the team that drafted him and didn't win a ring more so than a player who leaves to chase on.

I'm just really disappointed in LeBron and how he handled the whole situation. It also bothers me that he basically announced he is afraid that he isn't good enough to win on his own. My only hope is that the Heat fails miserably this season and LeBron has to answer questions.

Well, it would certainly affect my place of employment choice.

James has obviously transitioned from likable kid into something else. Well, that's show biz for ya. He's far from the first.

Well, it would certainly affect my place of employment choice.

James has obviously transitioned from likable kid into something else. Well, that's show biz for ya. He's far from the first.

Money will never be an issue for James.

And it's jsut sad because I thought LeBron was different. Guess I was wrong. I think most people would respect LeBron more going ringless on the Cavs and being loyal than being Robin to Wade's Batman and winning one.

Funny, on ESPN, I heard one of their NBA Insiders (can't remember which, Boussard I think) say that an NBA GM said, essentially, the same thing you said. His words were, to the effect, of "James is soft. He can't handle pressure like the great ones...he will only win a championship if he doesn't have to lead"...of course, they didn't say who it was...but pretty harsh words coming from a league source. I have to say, I was baffled, by his performances against the Celtics in games 5 and 6 of this years Eastern Conference Finals. He looked like he was either really intimidated by the Celtics (LeBron James should not be intimidated by anyone on the basketball court, especially not Paul Pierce or Kendrick Perkins), or just flat out quit on the Cavs. He was terrible....and as much as I love the Celtics, I think he defeated himself, as much as they did.

I don't think I've ever seen a "superstar" fall flat on his face like James did vs the celts. He's one of the best #2's in NBA history. You'd never hear him mutter those words. but he joined the Heat so D Wade could get him his ring and get the monkey off his back. The question is, if the Wade-James tandem wins a title or 2 or 5, will James have to hear "But he's gotta win 1 without Wade", like Kobe heard it about Shaq.

Actually, this is a weak argument. Larry Bird made guys like McHale, Parrish, DJ, and Ainge better players...we likely wouldn't remember them, had they not played with Bird. Ditto, for Jordan with Pippen, Grant, Kerr, etc The Lakers of that era are kind of the exception. I think LeBrons move today, while noble in one aspect (turning his back on money, in lieu of championships), it also illustrates that he doesn't have the greatness of Jordan, Bird, Kobe and the other legends. As a fellow Celtics fan, you must have seen the Eastern Conference Finals. James performance was embarassing, for a player of his stature.

I do think he will win some rings in Miami, but it appears to me, he needs someone to lead him to a championship, rather than players to lead to a championship. People malign the talent that the Cavs put around LeBron, but they won a lot of games with that talent. It was James who underperformed in the playoffs, and showed no pulse whatsoever.

Watching a banged up Kobe Bryant, playing an entire season with a multitude of injuries, including busted fingers is such a contrast to LeBron James. Kobe had some terrible nights, offensively, but even those nights, he intimidated his teammates to play their best...Kobe is a leader, in the mold of the other greats...James, not so much...Wade will lead him.

What really has to tick Cleveland fans, as well as the organization, was that they did spend money on decent players, to help LeBron. This isn't a case where a cheap ass owner is unwilling to put money into his product.

I'd like to thank espn for brainwashing every fan into believing in this laughable magical clutch gene. Basically he is like every other great athlete in the history of the world before they won a title. Peyton Manning version 2005. Arod 2008. Maybe the Cavs just suck really bad like the Lakers did when they didn't have Shaq or Gasol. Incredibly those years were the prime of Kobe's career, but yet they either missed the playoffs or lost in the 1st round. Of course when you somehow win 60 games with that garbage supporting cast instead of 45 - you're actually punished for it, because then you "underperformed/choked" in the postseason!

The Lebron signing hurts the Bills in two ways.

1. It reinforces the perception to great players that championships cannot be won in small markets.

2. Big name free agents are more likely to drift to the Dolphins.

I think that's a s t r e t c h.

There's some truth that Miami is a more attractive city than Cleveland (Buffalo, too.), but the NFL is a long way from the NBA and this whole affair has made both James and the NBA look like clowns -- it hasn't been good for Wade, Bosh or anyone.

The impact on future NFL free agents is very close to nil.

I'd like to thank espn for brainwashing every fan into believing in this laughable magical clutch gene. Basically he is like every other great athlete in the history of the world before they won a title. Peyton Manning version 2005. Arod 2008. Maybe the Cavs just suck really bad like the Lakers did when they didn't have Shaq or Gasol. Incredibly those years were the prime of Kobe's career, but yet they either missed the playoffs or lost in the 1st round. Of course when you somehow win 60 games with that garbage supporting cast instead of 45 - you're actually punished for it, because then you "underperformed/choked" in the postseason!

Arod is not clutch. He jsut plays on a team with a $300 million payroll. And Peyton always comes up short in the playoffs and big games going back to college. In their SB run, he had a 69.8 QB rating and threw 3 tds and 7 INTs. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4256/g....uLYF?year=2006 Great regular season QB, not clutch playoff one.

I think that's a s t r e t c h.

There's some truth that Miami is a more attractive city than Cleveland (Buffalo, too.), but the NFL is a long way from the NBA and this whole affair has made both James and the NBA look like clowns -- it hasn't been good for Wade, Bosh or anyone.

The impact on future NFL free agents is very close to nil.

id say theres more then a little truth in the miami v cleveland debate being won by miami.

id say theres more then a little truth in the miami v cleveland debate being won by miami.

But not the point that James' decision makes Miami any more desireable a location for NFL FAs. The Florida weather and tax comparison trumps that, just as it always has...

Arod is not clutch. He jsut plays on a team with a $300 million payroll. And Peyton always comes up short in the playoffs and big games going back to college. In their SB run, he had a 69.8 QB rating and threw 3 tds and 7 INTs. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4256/g....uLYF?year=2006 Great regular season QB, not clutch playoff one.

???

A-Rod's lifetime OPS in the postseason is .977, his slugging percentage is .568, and his OBP is .409.

Last year, his slugging pct. in three playoff rounds was .808, his OBP was .456, and and his OPS was 1.263.

What are you talking about?? This is seriously wrong.

Note that he put up big stats for the Ms in the playoffs too.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodrial01.shtml

???

A-Rod's lifetime OPS in the postseason is .977, his slugging percentage is .568, and his OBP is .409.

Last year, his slugging pct. in three playoff rounds was .808, his OBP was .456, and and his OPS was 1.263.

What are you talking about?? This is seriously wrong.

Note that he put up big stats for the Ms in the playoffs too.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodrial01.shtml

Yeah. He was killing it from 2004 to 2007. It's also be interesting to know how much he was roiding in those years. He is the highest paid player in the history of sports. The fact remains until he joined a loaded team with the highest payroll ever, he never won a ring. He is a front runner and cheater.

300 million or 3 million, he crushed a ton of game winning hits in the postseason last year. I don't totally disagree on Manning but it's really missing the point. The great majority of sports fans believe the whole clutch concept exists more than it does - and those who believe such only bring it up when it's convenient for them. So they explain it by making up junk like "Kobe is in a better place in his personal life now than he was 4 years ago". Indeed either that or he has better teammates now.

No offense but I completely disagree. The NFL is completely different than the NBA. The reason the LeBron thing was so big is because 1) he was a hometown guy & arguably the best player in his sport and 2) basketball teams can be shifted by one player. Football teams don't get made or broke by one player, unless it is a truly special QB. And truly special QBs never become FAs.

Very well said.

300 million or 3 million, he crushed a ton of game winning hits in the postseason last year. I don't totally disagree on Manning but it's really missing the point. The great majority of sports fans believe the whole clutch concept exists more than it does - and those who believe such only bring it up when it's convenient for them. So they explain it by making up junk like "Kobe is in a better place in his personal life now than he was 4 years ago". Indeed either that or he has better teammates now.

Ok. But that's part of the reason I think LeBron should have stayed in Cleveland. They still had the best record in the NBA and most people thought they were the favorites in the East. Jordan didn't win his first title until he was 27/28.

He can say a tittle in Miami would mean as much as it would in Cleveland but it won't. He is like Gasol or Pippen, good players but not franchise or legendary guys. he would have been a legend in Cleveland and compared to the greats ever. There's no way he can do that in Miami.