Why the Bills drafted CJ Spiller

Absolutely

Drafting for the least important position on the football club of which you just happen to be stacked at is a sure path to success.

There's no RB on the Bills that compares to Spiller so he's an upgrade. Besides who were we going to take? Any LT would have been a reach. Any QB an even bigger reach. Spiller was the BPA and no, I don't think Ralph had anything to do with it. But please keep on ranting.

PTR

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller reminds me of many great backs in the past for two main reasons:

1.) He's got those slightly bowed legs that many of the greats have had (E. Davis, Sayers, Little, Simpson, Sanders to name a few). I'm not sure why or if it's an advantage but many of the greats had those bowed legs.

2.) He runs with his feet very close to the ground. Dickerson is the only great one that I can think of that didn't have this tendency. This is a huge advantage when making cuts. Even his sprints aren't high-stepping. The quicker a back gets his feet on the ground the quicker he's able to move again.

Check out film/tapes of the greats and you'll see these tendencies.

Oh, and other than Juice, CJ is the only back we've ever had with world class speed. Not that speed is everything in and of itself. But combined with his obvious quickness and ability to read blocks, it's deadly.

He's gonna snap some ankles this year. Book it.

GO BILLS!!!

You know just for fun I was comparing video's (Yeah I know highlight videos) of CJ Spiller and Javid Best.....

- There are actually people on the You Tube saying Javid is faster then CJ Spiller......NOT ON A FOOTBALL FIELD HE ISN"T. Want to see why? Take a look at how much contact Javid has to go through in order to make plays.....now take a look at the amount of times CJ Spiller is touched....this is because the players are keeping up with Best and Spiller is buy then in a blink......Best may or may not break those tackles in the NFL where players are stronger and faster

- Without knowing I seriously want to check to see if CJ Spiller's videos are not doctored a bit......he has a gear especially in the open field that looks like "turbo boost" in a video game.....seriously its like he is going in fast forward and the other players are not.......

- You see the plays where Spiller gets pushed out of bounds down field? Do you realize that this is happening because defenders are talking a LOOOONG angle conceding all that yardage to try to get a chance to push him? Notice they arent trying to TACKLE him just make contact?

- Javid Best's offensive line was making huge holes for him to run through.......CJ Spiller you see him in crowds of defenders and shoot through smalller holes (probably one of the big reasons why he was drafted)

- Dont see Best's receiving ability showcased the way CJ Spiller's is

- I got focused into the cutting ability of Spiller and Best. Spiller's cuts are subtile and sharp.......meaning to cut away from a defender he doesn't have to take a wide lateral movement the other direction before accelerating. Best cuts away but in doing so his sideways cut is very wide meaning a defender might be giving the chance to get him from the other side of his cut.....

Thats exacty what I thought the first time I saw that video. What was his forty-time? 4.27? I'm more impressed by his 100 yard dash! I cant wait to see him make Revis look like a fool, haha.

Sayers was a #4 overall in '65, though you could argue that only two teams passed him over since the Bears took Butkus at #3 -- and then the Bears had the #6 also that year.

And in the AFL, 3 teams including the Bills passed on him before KC took him at #4.

I know it's tough to compare a college kid to a legend, but everything about Spiller screams Sayers -- though I know that dates me.

DUDE! Seriously. You are so right. I so hate that. We have fast WRs but if your QBs have dead arms and can't use the speed or throw it into tight windows it's all wasted.

Nice mock draft PDaDy, especially calling Ed Wang - you must know your college players. :devil:

:devil::lol::wallbash:

Thank you nucci, I was beginning to think I was the only Bills fan left on this board who actually watched every single play Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Andree Reed ran in their Hall of Fame careers with the Buffalo Bills together! (at least I hope Reed gets voted in soon)!

Two other reasons the K-Gun were special: the great offensive line, plus Jim Kelly's play calling at the line of scrimmage. Now the K-Gun was not always the best offense to run, especially in those SB's where the Bills defense had trouble stopping the Giants', Redskins' and Cowboys' offenses. For those 4 games, the Bills should have slowed it down and tried to use more clock and protect the ball better.

But compared to what we fans are trying to be "optimistic" about these days, complaining about the game plans of four consecutive SB appearances does seem pretty stupid, doesn' it?? :wallbash:

So hey, I'm hoping Gailey and his creative ballsy offensive play calling and schemes will take advantage of Spiller and Evans and Jackson/Lynch and Stevie-J and Roscoe and Nelson and anybody else lining up in the skill positions for the Bills O this coming season.

But please stop making these idiotic comparisons to Bills great coaches, players and offenses of the past, at least until we see if the "Air Gailey" Bills can score maybe, possibly two offensive touchdowns against the Dolphins this coming September?? Please?? Because after last year, two touchdowns by the Bills' offense in one game will be a great improvement for me!

While he never would have gotten it done without the cast around him, that was the K-gun in a nutshell. Marchibroda's "genius" was in seeing that he had one of the few true field generals in the game and some of the best talent in the game surrounding him. Give Kelly a handful of basic plays that he could run out of any formation and let him call them at the line based on the defensive alignment and his absolutely unparalleled feel for the game. Kelly's go for the throat style was perfect for keeping defenses on their heels. Put Marino in that offense and he'd have wasted it by throwing 60 times per game with his ego, but Kelly kept things balanced cuz all he wanted to do was win, and if you didn't want it as badly as he did, you'd better get used to his teeth in your ass. Give Marchibroda credit for recognizing what he had.

Personally, I have always felt that beloved Marv is largely to blame for those SB losses. While the Bills were clearly the class of the AFC those years, the NFC was churning out some monsters. Levy always stuck by the mantra that the teams that execute best win games, which really missed the point that they were up against comparable if not better teams; meanwhile Parcells, Gibbs, and Johnson were putting together something new cuz they realized they were up against a comparable team talent and execution-wise. Not the best idea to go up against big game coaches without anything new up your sleeve.

Sorry... I'm not much on letting old wounds heal. :wallbash:

It's amazing how everyone here seems to be putting the weight of the Bills organization on Spiller's shoulders.

There have been plenty of talented RB's come through this league, imho. But it really won't create a successful franchise by himself. I think he'll be more like Reggie Bush... a fun toy... than a franchise player that goes to the HoF.

Not a bad thing... but not enough by himself to turn a team around.

It's amazing how everyone here seems to be putting the weight of the Bills organization on Spiller's shoulders.

There have been plenty of talented RB's come through this league, imho. But it really won't create a successful franchise by himself. I think he'll be more like Reggie Bush... a fun toy... than a franchise player that goes to the HoF.

I can't speak for anyone else but I don't want to give the impression that Spiller is going to turn the franchise around. We need more playmakers on both sides of the ball, especially QB.

But he will be an important cog in the machine. He has gifts that defenses will HAVE to respect and prepare for assuming Gailey puts him in position to succeed. That SHOULD loosen things up for our other offensive playmakers (not that we have a lot). He's a better RB than Bush and he will be used more than Bush is with NO. He's similar to Bush in receiving ability and return ability but he is more polished as an RB. He reads blocks very well and is much quicker to the hole. Plus he has better straight away speed.

But you're absolutely correct in thinking that he's not gonna turn it around all by himself. He's gonna need help. And he's gonna screw the pooch a few times like any rookie. We all need to be patient with his development.

But I am almost willing to stake my shady reputation that he's going to make some big plays this year. He's going to force Ds into unfavorable matchups and our OL is going to love blocking for him because they won't have to hold their blocks as long.

GO BILLS!!!

I dont remember in any of my posts talking about how Spiller was going to turn the team around.......but I will say this.

- This team is devoid of playermakers....they are devoid of a player on the team that at any given moment has the ABILITY to change field position, or generate points.......Spiller does this

- Our new HC is known for being a innovative guy who uses the talent that has been given him.....and while it is not completely on CJ he does in fact do everything well.

- The fact is the guy is a threat to take it to the house on any given play....because of this defenses have to account for that.....which in some degree allows us to dictate to the defense (rather then the other way around for a change) what they can do......if they dont account for him in the passing game for instance...he could burn them badly.

He is not the fix all of the team....his is part of the fix

CJ Spiller is going to be the biggest match-up problem in the NFL next year, and here are the two reasons why.

1. CJ has a has a very unique COMBINATION of talents

-Speed, quickness, vision, and patience to run the ball

-Deep speed, short area quickness, good hands, and intellegence to be a receiver

2. Chan Gailey has the creativity and the balls to use Spiller in the best and most unconventional ways

-The Bills offense is going to be different than every other offense in the NFL. There is going to be a lot of motion that is going to cause confusion in defenses. And if defenses make one wrong step, guys like CJ Spiller and Roscoe Parrish are going to take it the distance.

-Some of the best offenses in the NFL are the different offenses. Remember the K-Gun? One of the reasons that was so successful is because the Bills were the only team in the NFL that was fully committed to it. Similarly, the Dolphins are the best at the Wildcat because they are the most heavily committed to it.

In summary, the Bills didn't just draft a runningback/wr. They drafted a player that is going to help them launch a new style of offense that I believe will be very successful.

Because he runs like an Antelope...OUT OF CONTROL! :thumbsup::nana::thumbsup:

I don't much about CJ Spiller, but I hear people compare him to Chris Johnson (Tenn). I was at the Bills Vs Titans last year just about field level, and I have to tell you, if he's anything like Johnson, the Bills made a great pick.

I was one of the guys that wanted a tackle in the first. It was amazing how much better Johnson was then anyone on the field. Nobody on the field could cover him or catch him. With the exception of Vince Young scrambling, Tenn had nobody on offensive. You knew Johnson was getting the ball and they still couldn't stop him. I hope Spiller turns out to be one of those player makers. Johnson presents on the field, made the entire offense better. I think he's one of those guy's that if the bills didn't take him, 5 years from now we would be saying, " Can you believe we could of had CJ, and we pick _________ instead."

The Bills drafted Spiller because that's what Ralph Wilson told his staff to do.

Anyone who thinks different is myopic.

I think Gailey drafted Spiller after the Clemson vs GT game last year when he torched them.

CJ Spiller is going to be the biggest match-up problem in the NFL next year, and here are the two reasons why.

1. CJ has a has a very unique COMBINATION of talents

-Speed, quickness, vision, and patience to run the ball

-Deep speed, short area quickness, good hands, and intellegence to be a receiver

2. Chan Gailey has the creativity and the balls to use Spiller in the best and most unconventional ways

-The Bills offense is going to be different than every other offense in the NFL. There is going to be a lot of motion that is going to cause confusion in defenses. And if defenses make one wrong step, guys like CJ Spiller and Roscoe Parrish are going to take it the distance.

-Some of the best offenses in the NFL are the different offenses. Remember the K-Gun? One of the reasons that was so successful is because the Bills were the only team in the NFL that was fully committed to it. Similarly, the Dolphins are the best at the Wildcat because they are the most heavily committed to it.

In summary, the Bills didn't just draft a runningback/wr. They drafted a player that is going to help them launch a new style of offense that I believe will be very successful.

1. I think Chris Johnson of the Titans is the biggest matchup problem. How can you possibly set this level of expectation for someone that has never carried the ball in the NFL? Oh, because he is wearing a Bills uniform. This is stupid.

2. The Bills offense will be different. It will be one of the worst. How do you know this about Chan? You talk out of your @ss.

1. I think Chris Johnson of the Titans is the biggest matchup problem. How can you possibly set this level of expectation for someone that has never carried the ball in the NFL? Oh, because he is wearing a Bills uniform. This is stupid.

2. The Bills offense will be different. It will be one of the worst. How do you know this about Chan? You talk out of your @ss.

Talking out the @ss is claiming the bills offense will be one of the worst when they have not yet hit the field......

And you are not comparing NFL production....you are comparing skill set why is this so hard to understand. Or do you just choose to ignore that?

here are some more reasons..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFcecMcS6bA...feature=related

:rolleyes:

If I've said once then I've said it...well, at least once: this kid is ridiculous.

He is some sort of football freak of nature that should be taken somewhere and study by the likes of Gatorade and Bill Polian.

...but after he retires as a bill. :nana:

Pure speed is uncoachable. He was the high school 100 meter national champion which is why he is able to separate from db's in the secondary. They stay with him for a short time then ie John Madden "boom he's outta there".

AND, CT, i don't care that were are believed to be one of the worst teams in the league; if u are a defensive coordinate in this league and u see this kid on the field, your privates start to itch and u get pretty dang nervous.