Why the Bills drafted CJ Spiller

A fairer comparison is C. Spiller and G. Sayers!

Wow. Seriously, if GMs thought that Spiller would be as good as Gayle Sayers, he would have been drafted first, and teams would have been tripping over themselves to trade up for the pick.

Although I openly detested the pick, I am all for giving him a shot. That said, Gayle Sayers? Hey, if all we have is hope, why not?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The K-Gun was a great offense because of the talent. It was not anything innovative. It was just a 3WR, 1TE, and 1RB set with outstanding players.

Here is a direct quote from Wikipedia:

"The most famous and complete usage of the no-huddle offense was executed by the Buffalo Bills offense, nicknamed the "K-Gun", during the 1990's under head coach Marv Levy and offensive coordinator Ted Marchibroda."

I was in a sense innovative, because it was the first time a team pretty much exclusively ran the no huddle offense

I know no one will be quit like him, but in a lot of subtle ways he reminds me of Barry Sanders. You're looking for him, but then shooting out of the other side of the pile is Spiller. Look at 2:38 of this highlight, just when you thought for sure you had Barry trapped behind the line of scrimmage he would make a move like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8...feature=related

I'd love nothing more than to see the Bills break out with an innovative, high power offense. I think we'll be a successful running team, and I really hope we can use that run threat to set up big plays in the passing game. I think we've got a few different 3-4 WR sets that could feature guys who all have really fast 40 times, so, in theory, or in a Madden-like setting we could have a dangerous offense, but in real life, with our O-line and QB situation, I can't convince myself we'll have that yet.

Anyway, I just don't know what is being referenced that shows us in what way Gailey's offense is supposed to be new, or why it will be so great - and I'd love to hear more about that.

I think Gailey's offense will be new. Basically, it will be perhaps the first time ever that an offensive coordinator suits an offense to this specific type of personnel.

The Bills have 3 very good running backs that can all line up at wide receiver. No other team in the NFL has this. They also have two guys that can take it the distance every play (roscoe and CJ).

DUDE! Seriously. You are so right. I so hate that. We have fast WRs but if your QBs have dead arms and can't use the speed or throw it into tight windows it's all wasted.

No way Brohm has a "dead arm".

All I can say is "WOW!" I've seen them all from Simpson on up and I've never seen anything like I just saw in that highlight reel. The speed, quickness, moves, and anticipation are unbelievable!

By mid-season we may have the best back in the league. The Bills just need to do every damned thing in their power to build and maintain decent OL play and adequate receiving.... and watch out!!

CJ Spiller is going to be the biggest match-up problem in the NFL next year, and here are the two reasons why.

1. CJ has a has a very unique COMBINATION of talents

-Speed, quickness, vision, and patience to run the ball

-Deep speed, short area quickness, good hands, and intellegence to be a receiver

2. Chan Gailey has the creativity and the balls to use Spiller in the best and most unconventional ways

Spiller=Stud RB....dude is a serious playmaker that can do things himself that the Bills haven't had in a long time...

watching that highlight reel again ... Spiller makes the field look so much bigger b/c of the separation he got on almost every one of those plays. It looks like PeeWee football because there is so much room ...

I can't wait to see him for real in the NFL.